Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seesm that these form mechanics given to multiple Pokémon, such as Mega Evolution and Alola Forms, will belong to the generation they were introduced in. As such, it is heavily implied that we will only keep the Mega Evolutions that already exist.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Assuming the data structure is the same as XY (which it probably is given that battles look similar), it won't take significantly longer. The file size doesn't really influence how difficult it will be to find the data; it really just depends on how similar the data is to previous games.

I find it interesting that they specifically had this wording in the trailer:

"Relive Mega-Evolutions".

Seems to be both no new megas and a hint that they're currently done with that tangential type of evolution. Which, in many ways, is a shame. Excepting a few OP ones I did enjoy Megas.

Who knows, maybe they've got something planned later but for now it seems that Mega's (and now maybe even Z moves in the future) were/are generation specific.
Unless the next trailer showcases new megas...

Seems to be both no new megas and a hint that they're currently done with that tangential type of evolution. Which, in many ways, is a shame. Excepting a few OP ones I did enjoy Megas.

Who knows, maybe they've got something planned later but for now it seems that Mega's (and now maybe even Z moves in the future) were/are generation specific.
I certainly hope Z moves are a one-off. Maybe I'll feel differently after playing a format with them, but on paper I really hate the idea of one-turn nukes. Not a big fan of gen 5's gems eithers.

I think saying "megas are generation specific" isn't quite right, the proof being they're back in this gen. The fact is that Sun and Moon have so many novelties that getting new megas would somewhat obscure them, Z moves and Alola formes in particular. But then, it's quite obvious that we're getting a 4th gen remake (sequel? I hope), and I'm pretty sure we'll see new megas then. There's a possibility of a Su/Mo sequel too, and that's another option for introducing new megas.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
According to Serebii, Sun Moon demo will be 3100 blocks (400mb) in size.
Which is significantly larger than ORAS.

So datamining could take much longer, I assume?
Assuming the data structure is the same as XY (which it probably is given that battles look similar), it won't take significantly longer. The file size doesn't really influence how difficult it will be to find the data; it really just depends on how similar the data is to previous games.
If its that much larger, a significant portion will be textures/map files as opposed to Pokemon Data. iirc Pokemon Data is really small all things considered, and certainly won't be as big as a lot of the other stuff we have seen. All those textures for clothes have to go somewhere (assuming they are in the demo at all). It does seem like we will be getting a full info dump weeks before the games are out. I'll chat to Nexus and ask him to post in this forum (unless he wants to make another subforum) but under a different heading/topic with a big Spoiler tag everywhere.

I couldn't be more excited to see the stats for Pokemon like Mudsdale, Bewear, starters, etc. Anything we get from this demo is gonna be hypetastic and I can't wait until the 18th!
I definitely want to know the stats of the "fluff" more than the stats of the big scary things! Those are always a little more exciting for me over the Legends. I remember the stat mixup with Gigalith and everyone thought its special defence was its speed...

On the new Pokemon: I like them all actually. Designs have gone in a slightly different direction than I expected, but they are decent nonetheless. I'm not sure how I feel about a lot of the Island/Play stuff. I might use it a few times then probably ignore it somewhat. If it's not critical I probably won't be all that interested unless it generally is very useful to get involved with.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Would it be sensible for any further leaks/datamines to be discussed in a seperate thread? It'd be easier than having spoiler tags all over in-between discussing the official features.
This thread will be used until the Demo comes out, at which point we will create another two threads (I'll have a chat with CRoll/NoCheese and see if we can work this out). One with Spoilers from the demo etc, one without. There will also be another thread with data dumps most likely.

I have also heard on the grapevine that the full SM game is approximately 3.2GB to download (its noted on the Japanese SM Website [I'll try and hunt down the source for that]). That's big. It AND the Demo won't fit on a default 3DS, so make sure you sort out your SD cards etc now if you are buying the Downloadable version!

EDIT:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/topics/161004_01.html

This is where it says (In the fantastically broken English from Google translate):
Pokemon Website said:
Notes on download trial version

- Free capacity of the SD card required for the download of "Pokemon Sun Moon special trial version" is the maximum 400MB (3,100 blocks).

In Nintendo 3DS series SD card that came from the beginning at the time of purchase (4GB), if that is downloaded both the special trial version with the main part of the download version (3.2GB), there is a case where the capacity is insufficient.Enough SD card (which is more than 8GB is recommended) with a free space please prepare.

• The Satoshi moonlight moth, in order to take from a special trial version to download version of the story, you need to both is in the same SD card.
So the Original default SD card is not large enough for both, and you need both in the same place to get Ash-Greninja (Satoshi Moonlight moth). Definitely worth sorting this BEFORE the game comes out if you are wanting to download the game!

Last edited:
Would it be sensible for any further leaks/datamines to be discussed in a seperate thread? It'd be easier than having spoiler tags all over in-between discussing the official features.
IIRC that's was how ORAS was handled.

Kinda shocked at Sun/Moon's size. I was going to get it physical anyways, but wow.

I hope they nerf fairy, even just one type weakness with a bigger movepool is much better. If not they better give more Pokemon access to Gunk Shot and give a high base power steel move to other Pokemon. Don't expect it, just hope.

I can expect the first month of S&M to be filled with hype stuff, they seem to care about competitive at least a little this gen and thus there are more gems than even stuff like gen 5 and 6. It's going to be fun lol.

This thread will be used until the Demo comes out, at which point we will create another two threads (I'll have a chat with CRoll/NoCheese and see if we can work this out). One with Spoilers from the demo etc, one without. There will also be another thread with data dumps most likely.
How will the dumps be handled broski? I don't mind looking at stuff like new abilities, moves, and Pokemon Data... but trainer data and text data are story spoilers and just bad news bears.

I hope they nerf fairy, even just one type weakness with a bigger movepool is much better. If not they better give more Pokemon access to Gunk Shot and give a high base power steel move to other Pokemon. Don't expect it, just hope.

I can expect the first month of S&M to be filled with hype stuff, they seem to care about competitive at least a little this gen and thus there are more gems than even stuff like gen 5 and 6. It's going to be fun lol.
I may be wrong, but haven't there been hardly any relevant Fairy-types in VGC? Can't see them nerfing the type (Other than Xerneas, which I think would have been a beast with any other good offensive type, given its sheer power) if it's not relevant enough. Dragon had those Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors with only Shedinja being immune to it, for instance.

I may be wrong, but haven't there been hardly any relevant Fairy-types in VGC? Can't see them nerfing the type (Other than Xerneas, which I think would have been a beast with any other good offensive type, given its sheer power) if it's not relevant enough. Dragon had those Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors with only Shedinja being immune to it, for instance.
There aren't many relevant fairies on the competitive scene 'cause there aren't many relevant fairies in general. The more we get the higher the chance of having more and more good Fairy types. Imho the only shift I'd make would be to make them weak to bug instead of resisting it, considering how weak is Bug competitively and how threatening Fairy could become once it has the right mons (and some new moves)... Just look at Clefable, it was utterly mediocre as a normal type, and now is a great 'mon just shifting to Fairy. Actually I really hope 7th gen will adjust unbalanced typings like Bug, Ice, Rock and Psychic they did a good job in 6th gen but there's more to do for balance... Sorry for the brief wishlisting.

I'm not sure how I feel about a lot of the Island/Play stuff. I might use it a few times then probably ignore it somewhat. If it's not critical I probably won't be all that interested unless it generally is very useful to get involved with.
Agreed. For me it depends how useful it is for building competitive 'mons. Super Training in Gen VI was amazingly helpful for a n00b like me, and it also gave you the opportunity to reset if you mucked up, or if you suddenly discovered you'd been using a pokemon in your story mode party that would actually be really good to have EV trained. I recently played through ORAS and found out the Manectric I was using had the IVs for HP Grass. Of course I probably won't be able to take her into competitive because it's unlikely she'll have any perfect IVs, but it's always worth knowing these things.

There aren't many relevant fairies on the competitive scene 'cause there aren't many relevant fairies in general. The more we get the higher the chance of having more and more good Fairy types. Imho the only shift I'd make would be to make them weak to bug instead of resisting it, considering how weak is Bug competitively and how threatening Fairy could become once it has the right mons (and some new moves)... Just look at Clefable, it was utterly mediocre as a normal type, and now is a great 'mon just shifting to Fairy. Actually I really hope 7th gen will adjust unbalanced typings like Bug, Ice, Rock and Psychic they did a good job in 6th gen but there's more to do for balance... Sorry for the brief wishlisting.
I agree about Bug and Ice - both need buffing a lot. Bug doesn't have any really good, relevant moves and Ice has way too many weaknesses and no resistances to make up for it. One idea would be to have Ice resist Fairy, and maybe even go one step further and have Fairy weak to Ice - with Fairy pokes and moves likely to be increasing, this would be very handy and would make an Ice type extremely useful.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
How will the dumps be handled broski? I don't mind looking at stuff like new abilities, moves, and Pokemon Data... but trainer data and text data are story spoilers and just bad news bears.
I guess that is up to Nexus and the other main researchers/guys who get the dumps.

Any dumps may contain spoilers. Don't whinge if you go into a dump thread and get spoiled.

End of. I'm not sure how they will split them (if at all). But I assume that one of us who is courageous enough can go in and get JUST the Pokemon data for those who want to know. Pokemon Data is nearly always top of the list though so... It'll probably come before anything else.

Anyway: Back to discussing other aspects of the reveals on the 4th please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)