Media General Music Discussion Thread

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
My favorite genre of music is metal. My favorite artists are Black Sabbath, DragonForce, AC/DC, Metallica, Stryper, Slayer, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam.
Out of the "Big Four" of grunge, I'd have to say Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains have my favorite sound. However I suggest giving Stone Temple Pilots a listen if you like grunge. While not as big as the four, I'd argue that they had more amazing sounding tracks than any of the other grunge bands.

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
It's that time again for me to share a song lol Big music person, so I will probably be a regular spammer of this thread.

Music video is weird so don't watch it lol

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Aurora released a new single for her album coming out in January and its as great as always

Tori Amos has put out 2 singles for her album Ocean to Ocean that will release this Friday so big excitement for that
Speaking with trees is an amazing big song thats very reminiscent to her early music

Spies in contrast is a very silly song but it's really fun as well, definitely a catchier tune

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Been developing a crippling addiction to Psychopomp by Japanese Breakfast since Saturday night

It's been tricky to pinpoint why I love this album so much; I personally wasn't a fan of Jubilee (but I also don't really care for Chamber Pop/Ambient stuff), the lyricism on Psychopomp is a bit too nebulous at times, and I don't think every song on the album is truly effective. However, Psychopomp is a lot more Dream Pop/Shoegaze adjacent which obviously means I'm a sucker for it. It's noisy in a surreal, ethereal, catchy, and, dare I say, beautiful way. It's weird putting it amongst my favorite albums, but I dunno. While it's clearly rough around the edges, I'm also a huge fan of EDEN's I Think You Think Too Much of Me and Asobi Seksu's self-titled record, which are also noisy and rough DIY indie records that have a similarly strange, comforting, and just plain...lovely feel to them (especially the Asobi Seksu record). Highly recommend it.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been looking for more music to start listening to. Maybe I can get some ideas here. I've historically been a fan of video game music moreso than "actual" music, purely due to that nostalgia factor. I have plenty of songs saved on my YouTube account to playlists to listen to, but more options is always nice. I tend to be a lot more into the relaxing and/or old fashioned kind of tunes, as my main use of music is to calm myself down as I work on other projects in my spare time. Anyone got any good recommendations? If you need more specific details, the game music I typically listen to is largely from DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U games, as well as a few older Nintendo systems from before my time. While my main areas of expertise have been Pokémon and Mario Kart for as long as I can remember, I've been branching out to more franchises for about a year or two now.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been looking for more music to start listening to. Maybe I can get some ideas here. I've historically been a fan of video game music moreso than "actual" music, purely due to that nostalgia factor. I have plenty of songs saved on my YouTube account to playlists to listen to, but more options is always nice. I tend to be a lot more into the relaxing and/or old fashioned kind of tunes, as my main use of music is to calm myself down as I work on other projects in my spare time. Anyone got any good recommendations? If you need more specific details, the game music I typically listen to is largely from DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U games, as well as a few older Nintendo systems from before my time. While my main areas of expertise have been Pokémon and Mario Kart for as long as I can remember, I've been branching out to more franchises for about a year or two now.
Feeling qualified for this as someone who's been a massive VGM nerd and has recently become more of a general musichead :smogduck:

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories would be my biggest recommendation; while it's certainly not my favorite album of theirs, it is a very chill album and definitely a throwback to the 70s disco sounds that inspired Daft Punk's music to begin with, with a touch of EDM for good measure. So it's probably going to be the album most up your alley.

Would also suggest:

Kero Kero Bonito - Civilisation: Veeeeeeery video game music-inspired, and a lot less rough and noisy than Time n Place (another great album of their's!). Only caveat is that it is not really "relaxing"...at least it's mostly not. You may also want to try Bonito Generation since I know a lot of people love that album (but iiiiiiii do not)

Kanye West - Graduation: Just my general recommendation if you're a VGM fan trying to get into more popular music (although it is a contender for my fav album ever); it's basically "WOW, THIS IS GIVING ME MAJOR PERSONA VIBES" The Album

Daft Punk - Discovery: Basically Graduation if it was an EDM album, another high recommendation to VGM fans. Much livelier than RAM, and there's an anime OVA set to the full album if you're interested in that.

Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered: Basically a rap album made up of lo-fi jazz hip hop beats

The Postal Service - Give Up: Lightweight and head-bopping indie pop with a chiptune flair and some fantastic lyricism, one of my personal fav albums <3

Alvvays - Self-titled: This is mostly just the dream pop fan in me talking, and the album's not really VGM-adjacent, but it is very warm and feel-good and has an old-school feel, so you might want to try it out (I would also recommend Japanese Breakfast's Psychopomp since that album is incredible, but I feel like that's going a bit too far down the rabbit hole)

Last edited:
One thing I'd suggest is just listening to anything that pleases your ear. There is no such thing as "correct" answers to what is good or bad music, regardless of what raters and critics might try to convince you of. VG music can be better than Mozart. Don't @ me haters.

That said, to expose myself to new music, one thing I would do is search for "music" on youtube, and then sort by rating. Sometimes I'd find and end up liking music that maybe a 100 other people heard of, but most of them liked. Which doesn't make it any better than things that many people have heard of, but it is kind of cool to expose yourself to a bunch of things before it's even on anyone else's radar.

This one is pretty good:

Anyone have any recommendations for some post-grunge or more modern rock? I've listened to a good couple like Shinedown, Pop Evil etc. so similar stuff would be appreciated

Anyone have any recommendations for some post-grunge or more modern rock? I've listened to a good couple like Shinedown, Pop Evil etc. so similar stuff would be appreciated
I'm not sure if you're referring to music that is part of the actual "post grunge" genre or music that was released after the grunge era. IMO the best rock records released after the grunge era (excluding post rock) have been Blackstar by David Bowie and Third by Portishead as they are IMO the only albums that have contained actual experimentation and innovation (outside of weirdo stuff like post rock). Turn On The Bright Lights by Interpol and Is This It by the Strokes are probably the best pop-rock records to have come out since then if you're looking something a bit more conventional.

recently been tryna "be more peaceful" and i guess somehow that's influence the music i let around me(?) ANYWAY....

recently been on a lot of folk, country, and such (usually not my wheelhouse, but respected cus it's my parents) HOWEVER i've found some awesome artists in them all recently - some i've known but "FINALLY LISTENED TO" (ala Strugill Simpson/Amigo The Devil) or new one i found (darker folk realm:) Harley Poe, either way the instrumentation has kept me very direct and peaceful in life as I go about my day and it's been very nice. At most "If i'm annoyed put on the darker guy" LOL

Either way it's nice finally a new realm for an avenue to peace than one I've known.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Turn On The Bright Lights by Interpol
Big, fat ass endorsement from me. Interpol hasn’t been a consistently good band since Our Love to Admire… in my humble opinion, TOTBL -> Antics -> OLTA was their best series of album releases… so Turn On The Bright Lights is a perfect place to start with them. I wouldn’t even bother with the 2012 remaster, I think the original is great as it is. From Untitled down to Leif Erikson? No skips, baby. Promise. Stella was a diver and was always down is also one of my favorite songs ever. Lyrically it’s not exactly a master class — some of this shit makes no sense lmao — but they make nonsense work for them on a huge scale.

I also recommend Catfish and the Bottlemen, Alpha Rabbit. They definitely don’t gravitate regularly toward harder rock/grunge, but they’ve got an edge and a charming lack of polish on their first album, The Balcony, which is also IMO an immaculate piece of work top-to-bottom. I think it came out at the beginning of 2014 and it influenced my music taste for the rest of the year. Sonically I’d say they’re akin to Arctic Monkeys, without the never-ending tumblr memes, or Cage the Elephant but still have a unique, distinguishable flair. Start from the top of the album and let her play, or if you want a visual to get you into their headspace, try Cocoon; it’s one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)