Media General Music Discussion Thread

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I mainly listen to older artists such as Billy Joel and Elton John. Some of my top songs from Joel include "The Downeaster Alexa" (Great tune and singing, excellent poetic lyrics) and "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant." A lot of the modern covers of Elton John classics from his biopic, Rocketman, are very good as well (with "I'm Still Standing" being my personal favorite). I also listen to Queen occasionally, and while I do enjoy their bigger hits such as "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Don't Stop Me Now" I also really like "39," a song which has a very interesting theme.

I listen to anything under the sun really. Right now, I've been listening to a lot of Biggie, as well as select tracks from some gaming OST. Here's what I've got to share today:

im a very open minded person musically, ive grew up with parents who were big vinyl collectors in their days, lots of blues, rock, country, folk, etc all the way up to 80s pop & rnb. i dabbled into everything from insane clown posse to sade to extreme black metal bands etc etc. id say my main wheelhouse is alternative rock/grunge, emo, & rap - my favorite artists ever being Lil Peep, Twiztid, letlive., Glassjaw, Alice In Chains, & DMX. im also big on soundtrack music (Esp Batman, John Carpenters, Horrors, Dead By Daylight, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Jet Set Radio Future). with my Dad recently passing I'm tryna open up more to country.

Reactions: BP
i bounce all over the music sphere, but lately ive been getting back into my black metal and crust punk and on the other side movie & anime soundtracks. John Carpenter soundtracks are life.

i bounce all over the music sphere, but lately ive been getting back into my black metal and crust punk and on the other side movie & anime soundtracks. John Carpenter soundtracks are life.
My girl loves john carpenter's movies but I don't think even she listens to the soundtracks like that lol

My girl loves john carpenter's movies but I don't think even she listens to the soundtracks like that lol
funny thing is i dont even watch movies & shows like that; im just a bit of a music "nerd" lol. i'll even listening to wrestling entrances from time to time if they knock lol.. thats a shame though, she's missing out on quality music. everyone knows halloween but the fog is a good one too. his "Lost Themes" albums are very good too.

for some reason i've been revisiting the evanescence albums that my mom and my aunt always played in the car when i was a kid. some highlights that i've had the pleasure of remembering:
i'm not super surprised that i still like them a lot but at the same time i've honestly been on more of a bluegrass (dead south, colter wall, murder by death, decemberists, etc) kick these past two years or so with some metal (usually avenged sevenfold and system of a down lol) and grunge or whatever in there

All of these songs start a playlist, but a lot of them are in the styles of shoegaze, emo, idustrial and experimental. Give each playlist a chance, they usually have the reputation of not being enjoyable by mainstream music listeners but are some of the only things that mature listeners can enjoy.

Whoever invests some time into these playlists will be well rewarded, whoever ignores them will never know of their bliss.

Also, someone mentioned A Deeper Understanding by The war on Drugs, I agree with you. One of the best albums I've ever listened to.

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
As someone who has never (knowingly) listened to Fiona Apple's music, I went into her new album blind and I was really blown away by it. I think it really let me escape into it with quarantine being the status quo, and I've seen general reception agreeing with it. I see this piece winning Grammys and could definitely be album of the year.

Also just wanted to quickly mention Rina Sawayama's album SAWAYAMA was also really great and it lived up to the hope I put into her after listening to and becoming obsessed with her ep. If you haven't listened to her definitely give her a chance!

So thankful for new releases, especially during these wild times.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Pretty mid on After Hours from The Weeknd, it was great the first listen but as a project I'm not so hot on it. Anyways I think Kissland gets overlooked way too much. It's a combination of every kind of style he has done for the past decade. Those up beat songs you cant stop hearing on the radio, the dark twisted yet loving and passionate songs early 10s fans still rave about to this day, all of it. Overall it's a dark yet pretty project that really takes you through how his life has changed since leaving his hometown of Toronto, struggling to leave his old habits behind (we all know that makes for great tracks), and of course the all the temptations that come with the life he chose. My absolute favorite piece of work he has put out, I don't think he has topped it since or ever will.

The album is great on a sleepless night, hope you enjoy https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJJaZUDfc5LWYyV0T5i99Ef45UxVf8bcr

also stay safe everyone! :heart:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As someone who has never (knowingly) listened to Fiona Apple's music, I went into her new album blind and I was really blown away by it. I think it really let me escape into it with quarantine being the status quo, and I've seen general reception agreeing with it. I see this piece winning Grammys and could definitely be album of the year.

Also just wanted to quickly mention Rina Sawayama's album SAWAYAMA was also really great and it lived up to the hope I put into her after listening to and becoming obsessed with her ep. If you haven't listened to her definitely give her a chance!

So thankful for new releases, especially during these wild times.
I really liked the Rina album as well! I went in with basically non-existent expectations, as I had only heard Comme des Garçons (which I liked), but the album as a whole blew me away. Akasaka Sad, Who's Gonna Save U Now, and Tokyo Love Hotel are probably my favorites. I love how personal the lyrics are, and how the album blends so many different genres.

Last edited:
As someone who has always knowingly listened to Fiona, I might call this her best release. She’s always been special, but this is on a different level. That Shameika song has been stuck in my head for days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)