General News Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
you have to understand every proudboy free speech w.e person at the rally was just looking for that moment, so it's not that surprising that they got it. if anything, im more skeptical if only one other affinity 'journalist' got the vid, how could so many of them blown getting it on tape? which btw I still haven't seen other than him getting hit by a glitter bomb or smthg

It's clear that the belief about the attack is ultimately down to personal philosophy and that whatever I say will not change your mind. You can interpret it as glitters or something innocuous being thrown on ngo or whatever.

I denounce these violent tactics, whoever commit these tactics. Feel free to keep defending a blatant attack that has been confirmed by multiple sources. You're not going to get apathetics on your side.

Myzozoa

It's clear that the belief about the attack is ultimately down to personal philosophy and that whatever I say will not change your mind. You can interpret it as glitters or something innocuous being thrown on ngo or whatever.

I denounce these violent tactics, whoever commit these tactics. Feel free to keep defending a blatant attack that has been confirmed by multiple sources. You're not going to get apaths on your side.
bro the whole point of my posts is the apathy, ppl are far too excited getting their dicks up for white nationalism in a controversy disguised as being based in free speech

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not taking a side on either part for or against Andy Ngo. I know very little information about the incident and after discussing with individuals, gathering various takes on the incident, and independent research concerning the incident I think this is yet another highly publicized political theater event, to which any information I do gather has already been pre-slanted towards whatever bias individuals have. I also realize that this probably won't be a very popular assessment as people will naturally want to align themselves with those who hold similar opinions on situations, especially in today's hot blooded political climate.

Instead, I'd like to emphasize the importance of non-violence and civil disobedience towards perceived social slights or towards those of different opinions, regardless of whether those opinions are antithetical to the perceived existence of someone's identity. MLK spoke about this concept of nonviolence, stating:

"...in that instance I would agree with Gandhi, that if the only alternative to violence, to fear, is violence and vice versa, then I would say fight; but it isn't the only alternative...there are three ways that oppressed people can deal with their oppression...one is to rise up into open violence into physical violence...the danger of that method is in its utility, I feel that violence creates many more social problems than it solves...I feel that nonviolence, organized nonviolent resistance is the most powerful weapon that oppressed people can use in breaking loose of the bondage of oppression. Now the other method that one might use is that of resignation or acquiescence, but I think that is just as bad as violence, because non cooperation with evil is as much a moral obligation as is cooperation with good." (source)

Thich Nhat Hahn wrote: "If we divide reality into two camps - the violent and the nonviolent - and stand in one camp while attacking the other, the world will never have peace. We will always blame and condemn those we feel are responsible for wars and social injustice, without recognizing the degree of violence in ourselves. We must work on ourselves and also with those we condemn if we want to have a real impact. It never helps to draw a line and dismiss some people as enemies, even those who act violently. We have to approach them with love in our hearts and do our best to help them move in a direction of nonviolence. If we work for peace out of anger, we will never succeed. Peace is not an end. It can never come about through non-peaceful means.” (Love in Action: writings on nonviolent social change)

I think more than anything this situation, like most forms of conflict concerning these diametric political stances, allow for a chance of reflection upon human values and what it means to achieve your goal. I think that on the side concerning Andy Ngo, he has been accused of doxxing and urging his supporters to harass those individuals doxxed (via his twitter). To me this is ultimately wrong and while not strictly violent in the shallow initial impression does lead to perpetuating violence. Additionally he has been allegedly instigating and situating himself around passionate Antifa rallies in an attempt to document those incidents and cry foul about how the left is equally as violent as the right is perceived to be (post-Charlottesville). Looking for trouble and "asking for it" is in no way a justification for violence in my opinion, though Andy himself by no means has clean hands. Inciting and further adding fuel to a political fire wreaks devastating social consequences, impeding a return to rationality and accomplishing very little in terms of social goals.

To those justifying the attack by either saying he deserves it, was asking for it, claiming it is some long reaching method of self defense, or even outright claiming that it is a false flag attack I urge those protesters to practice compassion and understanding and to have the wisdom to know that violence begets hostility which in turn crafts more violence. I do not think it is ok to throw milkshakes at people whos views you disagree with because it quickly leads into worse and worse acts of violent protest. I think there are far better methods of recourse out there to show displeasure at certain legislature, certain advocate groups, and to give in to violent methods, no matter if they are childish milkshake throwing, is to give further into anger and resentment. I do not claim to know all the information concerning this incident and I am definitely not taking a side either way, however I am claiming that this incident thus far has been highly politicized and is only more evidence of increasing political tension within the United States (and globally I guess). In times like these it is very important to think big picture and to not box everything into an us vs them mentality.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Myzo can you link to a source substantiating that there are roving gangs of veiled white nationalists looking for trans women to beat up in or around pdx? I live somewhat close by and haven’t heard about this, it seems like it should be huge national news and you’ve mentioned it in a couple different posts but haven’t elaborated. Was Ngo involved with those groups? Apologies if this has been hashed out somewhere in the walls posted above but I haven’t seen it.

Also is anyone (including Ngo) actually surprised by Antifa supporters assaulting him? Seems like it was pretty obviously predictable to me, he must’ve known it was a possibility.

bro the whole point of my posts is the apathy, ppl are far too excited getting their dicks up for white nationalism in a controversy disguised as being based in free speech
This situation isn't about white supremacy, it's about violence. But I guess, since your worldview is that everything is white nationalism against minorities, then any issue raised by anyone between center-left and far right are actually just covertly and tacitly supporting white supremacy.

Yes, there are legitimate critique for still ongoing racism and so on. I agree that we should address them. However, I refuse to abide by a racist's racist worldview.

Myzozoa

Myzo can you link to a source substantiating that there are roving gangs of veiled white nationalists looking for trans women to beat up in or around pdx? I live somewhat close by and haven’t heard about this, it seems like it should be huge national news and you’ve mentioned it in a couple different posts but haven’t elaborated. Was Ngo involved with those groups? Apologies if this has been hashed out somewhere in the walls posted above but I haven’t seen it.

Also is anyone (including Ngo) actually surprised by Antifa supporters assaulting him? Seems like it was pretty obviously predictable to me, he must’ve known it was a possibility.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/arsnml

as I already said these ppl cover their faces and do their attacks at night and police don't investigate or release findings publicly so we don't know if ngo was involved except in their rally which is a photo-op front for them to come here and attack ppl in the days leading up to their rallies, at which they get photo ops of themselves being the victim. since u aren't in the queer community I doubt you'd have heard about these things, but I have heard about this happening constantly over the last year thank you for asking

EV

Banned deucer.
Is anyone else irked by Trump's 4th of July military parade? I'm all for a gay ol' parade, but the tanks and jets look like a needless extravagance and juvenile show of bravado. And apparently the RNC is giving out tickets to a VIP area, adding a political hue that even the Pentagon's top brass are saying is inappropriate. A few military chiefs have declined invitations, citing scheduling conflicts. I also read Trump diverted 2.5 million from the parks service to help fund it.

If this were any other president, I'd feel the same. What about you?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think in the long run this will prove to be a negative move. Do the blue angels usually preform on July 4? I would think most service members would rather have a day off than be in a parade. Pentagon people aren't happy, Republicans aren't happy with the comparison to Russia, China, etc. Democrats aren't happy with the cost.

Who actually asked for it, anyway? I think it's literally just trump.

EV

Banned deucer.
I usually only catch the news in the break room at work (not kidding), but I think he got the idea after watching the Bastille Day celebrations in France? Either way, the allusions to the small-dicktator authoritarian types is so spot-on.

well bro, I guess since there is no video, same should apply to the ppl who supposedly attacked him, innocent until proven guilty, we are not a mob after all, nothing to see here
There is video, unless you're watching CNN who had the gaul to not show the worst part of the attack. It's pretty unbelievable that ya'll find us defending him controversial, I'm sorry but if this is how much the left has shifted to defend practical brown coats, there is sonething seriouslly mentally wrong with society. I don't condone violence no matter which side it comes from, and neither should you.

Myzozoa

There is video, unless you're watching CNN who had the gaul to not show the worst part of the attack. It's pretty unbelievable that ya'll find us defending him controversial, I'm sorry but if this is how much the left has shifted to defend practical brown coats, there is sonething seriouslly mentally wrong with society. I don't condone violence no matter which side it comes from, and neither should you.
I forgot to look at prager u today so you could be right, but ill ive seen so far is that he got pushed around and sprayed with silly string or w.e it's called. too bad this dude didn't get what he was looking for I guess, he went all that way to journo for the proud boys 'we're the victims' photo op to cover for their attacks on lgbtq Portland residents but ultimately came up w little more than a video of himself getting pushed into a glitter bomb. feel free to tell us all about who is defending practical brown coats right after ur done explaining how women consent to have ur baby by having sex with you and other serious and worthy views you have

lets test this. do you believe that asylum seekers should be detained in border camps, or should they be allowed in the country prior to their hearing date?
I immigrated to Australia via a merit based system and was in line with many more immigrants that was also immigrating via a merit based system. It took at least 7 years to obtain a permanent resident which followed by a passport.

I see no reason why anyone immigrating to America should be any different. It is simply not fair for those who need to follow a strict immigration protocol as well as show evidence via a merit based system like me as well as wait many years to obtain citizenship.

The same reason why you have locks on your doors. You only want people of your family and those guests you invited to come in. If some stranger tries to break in without permission ofcourse he or she should be prosecuted. I see no reason why America should be any different. Want to come in line up and follow the proper merit based immigration protocols. No one gets to be excepted.

Last edited:

Asek

Banned deucer.
I immigrated to Australia via a merit based system and was in line with many more immigrants that was also immigrating via a merit based system. It took at least 7 years to obtain a permanent resident which followed by a passport.

I see no reason why anyone immigrating to America should be any different. It is simply not fair for those who need to follow a strict immigration protocol as well as show evidence via a merit based system like me as well as wait many years to obtain citizenship.

The same reason why you have locks on your doors. You only want people of your family and those guests you invited to come in. If some stranger tries to break in without permission ofcourse he or she should be prosecuted. I see no reason why America should be any different. Want to come in line up and follow the proper merit based immigration protocols. No one gets to be excepted.
judging by ur age it was ur parents who mmigrated to australia (or set u up to come here), and given australian immigration policy its highly likely that ur parents are either professionals and were targetted migrants (doctors or other graduate degrees) or wealthy through other means to be enticing targets for the government. majority of migration to australia is based around who the government wants here based on labour needs and attracting capital. dont talk about australian immigration polcy as if its some kind of meritocracy and u earned ur place over others as a teen whilst we have offshore detention centres holding refugees that go against international law ffs lol.

judging by ur age it was ur parents who mmigrated to australia (or set u up to come here), and given australian immigration policy its highly likely that ur parents are either professionals and were targetted migrants (doctors or other graduate degrees) or wealthy through other means to be enticing targets for the government. majority of migration to australia is based around who the government wants here based on labour needs and attracting capital. dont talk about australian immigration polcy as if its some kind of meritocracy and u earned ur place over others as a teen whilst we have offshore detention centres holding refugees that go against international law ffs lol.
Yes correct my parents went through all that immigration procedures. They still earned it via a merit based system. They didn't barge through the line or take any shortcuts and def no one should.

Secondly is you really should stop believing what you see on the mainstream media aka forked tongue media just like the overwhelming majority of westerners already had (not sure why you still do). When AOC attempted to virtue signal by crying crocodile tears while looking at a supposed detention centre which was later proven that it was actually an empty car park only proves those detention centres aren't nearly as 'human rights abusing' as the media wants you to believe. When AOC was invited by a Polish official to actually witness with her own eyes what an actual German concentration camp was like when she compared the border detention center to one she refused (hmmm I wonder why).

That image of AOC staging herself crying is now a viral Internet meme if you have not noticed. Another reason why majority of Americans feel like the media is a waste of time and why CNN has viewership at rock bottom and laid off quite a portion of staff. It doesn't take a genius to understand why.

Like I said immigrate via merit based protocols. If you talk about labour needs then show evidence as an immigrant you can contribute specifically to that sector of labour. If you breach that protocol you should be detained and deported and rightfully so. You know every single nation operates that way right? Like if you get caught sneaking into any bordered nation you either get deported or detained. Similarly if a stranger tries to raid or enter your property without permission from you he or she is probably gonna get arrested duh. I see no reason why America should be different. So ya my principle still stands.

Last edited:
is imprisoning people not violence? like just think about it mechanically. is it possible to prevent someone from escaping nonviolently? are there nonviolent kidnappings?
If you tried to intercept some random stranger trying to enter your property without permission and then getting the cops to arrest and put in custody would the cops be 'violent kidnappers?' LOL

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
what youve been banging your head up against is the fact that "violence" has two meanings. the trick of rightwing posters in this thread have been to use one in place of the other and then act like they dont know what they are doing, which in fairness they probably actually dont realize.

there is "violence" in the mechanical (call it "literal") sense: any physical act taken upon another person without their consent that harms them. you can quibble with the words of this definition but i dont mean it to fool anyone and we can all agree what counts here: punches, slaps, kidnappings, and so on. this is the standard under which ppl itc have framed hitting someone with a dairy product as "violent" or "assault". but of course this isnt what most people mean when they say "violence", which is something closer to: unsanctioned nonconsensual physical contact.

the means of the permitting of the act varies, of course. ppl generally do not use "violence" for low level contact like smacking someone on the shoulder, etc, including stuff like throwing milk at someone. why i included the example of my friends' dumb guy milk fight in 8th grade was to show that no one normal considers tossing dairy at someone "violence" or "assault". the portland police understand this, of course, which is why they told a rapidly-spread, easily disprovable, absurd lie that antifa was mixing concrete (which does not bind effectively with sugar) into milkshakes and hitting people with them. antifa did not do this, obviously, but portland pd understood that throwing cinderblocks at people is dangerous and throwing a shake at someone is perhaps silly, unpleasant, juvenile, embarrassing for the person shaked, but is not high-level enough to be actual assault.

you made clear in your posts the next circumstance in which nonconsensual physical acts are not-violence: when the sanction is by the state or some authority. if a cop tackles someone, handcuffs them, shoves them in a car, imprisons them in jail, he has done violence by any mechanical definition. the only question is whether that violence was good / justified / sanctioned. if the answer is yes, then the physical act of violence isnt termed violence. you found the idea that arresting someone is violent laughable:
"If you tried to intercept some random stranger trying to enter your property without permission and then getting the cops to arrest and put in custody would the cops be 'violent kidnappers?' LOL"
this is p clear. though the insistence that state-sanctioned physical action is distinct from "violence" leads to some darkly comedic places, such as headlines like "violence erupts after officer-involved shooting leaves unarmed man dead", the humor, of course, being that violence erupted when an officer shot an unarmed man dead. but since that violence has yet to be proven unjustified -- and that's the standard for law enforcement -- it is not violence, while a community's response to seeing a man killed is fundamentally illegitimate.

the last example i'll pull up is self-defense. if someone came up to me and hit me in the face and i hit that person back no one would consider me to have been a violent person. we all understand this, right?

so posters itt have obviously been using milkshaking by itself as proof of "violence" when that's clearly not the case. there is maybe a different conversation to be had about whether or not it's good, but that's not the register youve been in. on the level of the skirmish, antifa are very obviously protected by self- and community-defense exceptions to being termed as "violent". various journalists (ex corey pein) and academics (ex cornel west) have testified that antifa prevented organized groups of white supremacist militia members from attacking nonviolent (as opposed to not-violent) protestors including members of clergy. what makes antifa the defenders in these skirmishes? the fact that only the right has put Numbers On the Boards, meaning theyve actually done murders. rest in power heather heyer. someone else can pull up the stat that white supremacists were responsible for the vast majority of terrorist deaths in this country last year. leaked atomwaffen and proud boy chats show plans to assault and murder activists and political figures. even the fbi, which has recently "lost" its files on neonazi website stormfront, hasnt been able to drop a body on antifa yet.

which brings us to andy. myzo dice etc have laid out a framework under which andy getting roughed up is self-defensive: andy has a documented history of revealing the identities of antifascist activists to fascists resulting in targeted violence. i recommend you watch the livestreams on his twitter from the first person cam. they show almost nothing of interest -- he gets shaked and that's about it -- but what is more interesting is what he doesnt do: any reporting. people ask him on the stream what the antifa people are protesting. he doesnt reply. he gawks at some signs supporting policies he doesnt like, but what he mainly tries to do is get peoples faces on camera, which the antifa people know to avoid. it's just... odd, and gives support to the theory that he was there with future-violent -- as in, putting people on a list for known assailants to use -- intent.

but i dont think it was self-defense. i dont think it was real at all. where does that helmet cam go? that's one of the mysteries that demonstrates to me that the "attack" on andy was staged. he has a front facing camera that the theoretical antifa attacker takes care to knock off and steal (?) before punching him, but then that camera is returned to andy by a man he doesnt know (??). what this means is no one will see the attackers face or eyes to identify him. weirdly enough, no video shows andy's face in any detail until he recovers his gopro and having ensured his wounds are going to pop for gofundme. which is weird too. within two hours michelle malkin has had the presence of mind to find this person with whom she did not appear previously acquainted, receive photo documentation of his wounds, type up paragraphs explaining the situation, set a 50,000 usd request, and then create a rightwing bait title and hashtag, in the middle of a theoretically violent protest. it's just really odd that she managed this so quickly, or that andy, released from the hospital after suffering a surely-real brain hemorrhage, had a major newspaper op-ed ready to publish.

this has been an undisputed personal triumph for andy. no one has disputed this: he's creeping towards 200,000 dollars, he's doing hits on cable and writing in major newspapers whereas before he was posting fucking black crime shit on his twitter and patreon. this is a person whose previous months of "reporting" focused on how easy it was to get mainstream media to believe in "hoaxes". hm. he's threatening to sue ppl now, which for some reason im skeptical will happen, but who knows -- jussie pressed charges.

the least surprising thing about this whole affair was how unskeptical people were of this obvious fiction. this is because it satisfies a major market niche and need: "left-wing violence". without andy, media is left with "concrete milkshakes", shit rubes and bootlickers will believe but something that cannot stand up to scrutiny. but andy gets hit and suddenly theres this major menace. it's bothsidesism, sure, a reflective need for both sides to do it, but it's deeper and more nefarious than that.

they need to keep the "terrorism" category wedged open long enough for one last entry. as the effects of climate change are felt, people upset with the oncoming ecological crisis will start to demonstrate more and more boldly. the need to suppress "ecoterrorism" will become the most pressing threat to american democracy and will justify any state, uhhh, not-violence violence. the existence of a leftwing "terrorist group" (that has as its most famous violent crime [and this is absolute worst case for antifa] a guy who promoted violence against them getting hurt?) will prevent the analytical recognition that terrorism is not only ideologically pernicious but a simple malanalysis and overcomplication. what we consider "terrorist groups" in america -- the ones that do murders -- are right-wing militias. this goes for atomwaffen as well as ISIS. the centrality of american racial politics make the nonwhite reactionary group tricky to spot, puts those groups in weird positions (NOI is the canonical example) but think about it this way: isis and the american right both love to parade around with guns in shitty pickup trucks. when al queda struck the twin towers, only robertson and d'souza said they actually did have a point about the sexual depravity of 2001 america. the 2000s wars stregthened the reactionary rights in both countries. it's just what they are in any accurate accounting of their politics if you get over the fact that american rightwingers are racist against nonwhites.

the abolition of the category "terrorist" is necessary if we're to have any hope. it promotes racism etc as well as allowing for the american right to both duck for cover (how DARE you lump us in with isis!!!!) and assault their enemies (how DARE you suggest antifa is anything but a terrorist group!!!!). unfortunately this wont happen, so look forward to being on the no fly list for a 2007 donation to greenpeace after seeing an inconvenient truth.

....am I reading everything right, or am I surrounded by complete and utter ludacris arguments?

Also, antifa is a terrorist group, by definition. You don't need a paragraph upon paragraph response to make that clear.

Also, right-wing militias? You mean any legal gun carrier? That's what malitia means in the constitution. You're sound like the same jargin that came of of my sociology textbook.

....am I reading everything right, or am I surrounded by complete and utter ludacris arguments?

Also, antifa is a terrorist group, by definition. You don't need a paragraph upon paragraph response to make that clear.

Also, right-wing militias? You mean any legal gun carrier? That's what malitia means in the constitution. You're sound like the same jargin that came of of my sociology textbook.
for all intensive purposes, I applaud you for having the valar to post this. you will probably be attacked by the libtard communionist but not every one on this site is brainwashed from the tap water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)