General News Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I mean schools need funding for improved mental health counseling from somewhere, I don't see why a tax on M-rated video games is much different from a tax on alcohol or cigarettes. It's not like any of them are good for you, just they're bad to differing degrees. My only problem with it would be that while some games more than earn an M rating due to being needlessly violent (such as the Outlast series or Dead Space series), others are, well, more restrained (such as the Halo series) and get the same rating. The reality is that there is a huge difference between M rated games that isn't a big deal right now because they aren't really treated differently based on rating anyway, but if it started becoming a money thing I'd support separating these categories further (I think that more games should get the A rating just for violence, for example).

Of course, if this were passed on anywhere near a federal level, there would be a big push to get games under that rating threshold. Which I also would be fine with, honestly.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more violent movies get rated up and movies with language / sexual content rated down, because it's ridiculous that people are so scared of bad words or sexuality that they get placed on the same level as sadistic torture or mutiliation. But that wouldn't really happen with Trump's 'proposal'. Just the federal government would waste money on doing something the industry itself already does.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I mean schools need funding for improved mental health counseling from somewhere, I don't see why a tax on M-rated video games is much different from a tax on alcohol or cigarettes. It's not like any of them are good for you, just they're bad to differing degrees. My only problem with it would be that while some games more than earn an M rating due to being needlessly violent (such as the Outlast series or Dead Space series), others are, well, more restrained (such as the Halo series) and get the same rating. The reality is that there is a huge difference between M rated games that isn't a big deal right now because they aren't really treated differently based on rating anyway, but if it started becoming a money thing I'd support separating these categories further (I think that more games should get the A rating just for violence, for example).

Of course, if this were passed on anywhere near a federal level, there would be a big push to get games under that rating threshold. Which I also would be fine with, honestly.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more violent movies get rated up and movies with language / sexual content rated down, because it's ridiculous that people are so scared of bad words or sexuality that they get placed on the same level as sadistic torture or mutiliation. But that wouldn't really happen with Trump's 'proposal'. Just the federal government would waste money on doing something the industry itself already does.
Dead Space is a horror game, how could the violence possibly be needless?

Are you even remotely aware that the violence standards for PG-13 movies have gone far down since the 80s? You don't even see blood in them. Or are you saying violent movies should also get a rating above R? Advocating for more AO games and NC-17 movies is all but asking for things to be more censored.

It's crazy how kids can still shill for Trump even in a week where he betrays almost everything they wanted him to stand for.

Prikki

formerly AtomicFish

I totally agree with this, it's just in the White House, Trump lives under a rock and is so oblivious to the outside world. I'd be surprised if he knew what normal kids in the District of Columbia are like! Not to mention normal people like us who aren't millionaires. It's just so funny how this guy, who is the president of one of the most powerful countries on Earth, came up with a solution that already exists. What's worse is that this provides an inside look at his psychology: Oligarch. He's coming up with solutions to something that's going to be relatively ineffective, but are going to cost too much for the US, adding onto it's trillions of dollars of debt, either not caring or oblivious to what's going to happen to the middle and lower class. If this wall goes through and it's big and pricey, taxes will rise, along with poverty rates. However if it's small and ineffective then he'll come up with a bigger, pricier solution. It's a lose-lose scenario because of Texas, California, and Florida. There's a reason Hillary won popular vote.

Last edited:

Prikki

formerly AtomicFish
I'm shocked that "violent" video games are somehow STILL the scapegoat after 20 years
They add blood: Instant T+ rating. There are games without blood that are all about fighting, and get E 10+ ratings. The Fallout series isn’t all about fighting, but they added profanity and blood. M rating.

What? He's not getting my approval in 2020 after that kind of comment. Oh I'm sorry, were you wanting me to double down or something? Ya say stupid shit like that, and you lose my support. Simple as that. It's not like I even voted in the first place ya get.

idiot: single issue voter (guns)
fool: single issue voter (abortion)
dunce: single issue voter (war)
moron: single issue voter (climate change)
king: single issue voter (video games)
You're missing the key thing here. I didn't vote. My vote has no bearing. My state is red and will forever be red. Do you want to discuss actual news here or do you want to keep insulting me?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
You're missing the key thing here. I didn't vote. My vote has no bearing. My state is red and will forever be red. Do you want to discuss actual news here or do you want to keep insulting me?
why dude? I assume you're gonna vote in 2020, if not then idk why your approval would matter in the first place.

Also lol it is kind of funny that you are drawing the line at video games after valiantly defending this clusterfuck for a good 2 years now... funniest trumpgret I've seen.

why dude? I assume you're gonna vote in 2020, if not then idk why your approval would matter in the first place.

Also lol it is kind of funny that you are drawing the line at video games after valiantly defending this clusterfuck for a good 2 years now... funniest trumpgret I've seen.
How is it funny? It's where my line has always been drawn. If I voted, I'm one of the easiest fucking votes to pocket. Don't go full 90s like Trump and Hillary and you're already 90% of the way there. If anything I'm being consistent. It was a fun ride while it lasted.

And if my approval doesn't matter, then why would people harp on it so much? Surely not just to troll me! Also, it was mostly me attacking Hillary rather than defending Trump. Get your story straight.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Video games are art. Ergo, if we are to levy a tax on m rated video games, we should also apply a tax on mature art. However, this is not a bad thing. Who owns satanic/pedophilic sculptures? John Podesta. A tax on him is perfectly fair payback for the tax on Call of Duty that right-wing gun nuts love so much.

Also--there's just as much link between John podesta's art and violence. When 4chan users found out podesta was behind #pizzagate, they went to comet ping pong with a gun and threatened to shoot it up. Think of the lives we could be saving!

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I thought my state was blue and would forever be blue, but now we have a Republican governor who's still looking good for reelection. (Maryland and Hogan)

Votes matter! And even more important is political consciousness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)