General News Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is one of those cases where people can be easily exploited because they have addictive personalities or don't understand math well enough, and you can probably cover things by forcing companies to be clear about how they market things.

Most people have learned what it means to be a free to play game, but companies could stand to make clearer when monetary rewards are cosmetic or functional, or whether they're distributed randomly. Gambling isn't wrong, it just needs to be conducted with as much transparency as possible.

Trading card games and collectable card games are already clear on this. The point is to collect cards that you buy in packs and there isn't any other way to interact with the game (secondary market considerations that remove the gambling aspect aside). A free to play game that sells itself as a game while trying to shove incentives at you once you've downloaded is a little less so.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just don't think there's grounds to regulate lootboxes on the current definition. If we're gonna say they're damaging and addictive, then we should classify them as the gambling they are. Would lootboxes get exempted if they had guaranteed "1 rare per box", for example? Would they get exempted if it's a single player game(shadow of war)? Regulation in this form will just create more confusion. Imo either call it gambling and force a massive policy shift or leave everything alone

Reactions: EV

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I support regulating lootboxes but they’re not gambling. You’re buying a mystery product but you know what possible options there are. People do this all the time and yes it is extremely similar to buying trading cards of any kind or pretty much any random collector item.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I think this is one of those cases where people can be easily exploited because they have addictive personalities or don't understand math well enough, and you can probably cover things by forcing companies to be clear about how they market things.

Most people have learned what it means to be a free to play game, but companies could stand to make clearer when monetary rewards are cosmetic or functional, or whether they're distributed randomly. Gambling isn't wrong, it just needs to be conducted with as much transparency as possible.

Trading card games and collectable card games are already clear on this. The point is to collect cards that you buy in packs and there isn't any other way to interact with the game (secondary market considerations that remove the gambling aspect aside). A free to play game that sells itself as a game while trying to shove incentives at you once you've downloaded is a little less so.
Exactly.
There should be some regulations to lootboxes especially for children, (such as limiting the amount or price of lootboxes a kid can get)
but lootboxes is not quite gambling.
I personally think that gambling is when you lose everything if you don't win anything.
But lootboxes or Pokemon cards will always give you something to take home- they just maybe are not the items you want, or are "worthless" items that still worth something.

And you don't have to classify it as gambling just to make regulations.
There are many ways to regulate things without classifying them as gambling.

For example, in Puzzle and Dragons, kids under a certain age have a limit of how many magic stones (used for Gatcha and pay to win) they can buy per day.
So, if they can make other games to include this, then it basically solves the addiction problem that I was concerned.

Last edited:

Deleted User 229847

Banned deucer.
When you stick a quarter in a slot machine, you either win money or lose your quarter. The most basic form of gambling.

When you buy a Pokemon (or any tcg) booster pack, you take home 11 cards. You're buying a product. This isn't gambling.

With digital products, it gets a little grayer. You're still buying a "product," but can you equate a character skin or weapon in your inventory to a physical trading card? Or what about digital booster packs? Also, what will become of draft formats if booster packs are roped off from underage customers? From what I understand, that was the intent of boosters way back when MtG was made, to be draftable, deck building products. This still applies to draft formats on MtG Arena, the digital platform, and Hearthstone's Arena draft format (among other digital tcg games).

If the provisions don't exist to exclude them, legislation to ban loot boxes by way of gambling could open a can of worms with other randomized elements of games such as booster packs. So, I think real, tangible products shouldn't get lumped into any sort of loot box/gambling bill, but as for digital ones, I could see that going either way.
I beg to disagree. You are, technically speaking, gambling when you buy a pack. You are betting on the right cards. Since there's a rarity system in most games, I'd say the chances you are looking for at least high rarity cards cannot be ignored.
With digital products there's a big difference: you do not own the cards. I mean this in the literal term of the word, almost all the time your account is not technically yours but it's given to you by the company (you agree by accepting the ToS). You are still gambling though (given my aforementioned definition). You are betting on digital pixels instead of physical cellulose, that's all.

I support regulating lootboxes but they’re not gambling. You’re buying a mystery product but you know what possible options there are. People do this all the time and yes it is extremely similar to buying trading cards of any kind or pretty much any random collector item.
First of all, you know the items but you do not know (most of the time) the drop chances.
Second of all, you are still gambling on getting a lucky pack. The same way you pull down the lever of a slot machine to get a win (and i think producers are legally obligated to give the exact chances of winning, so it's even worse if you are "digitally" gambling since most of the time you won't know the chances of winning).

EV

Banned deucer.
I beg to disagree. You are, technically speaking, gambling when you buy a pack. You are betting on the right cards. Since there's a rarity system in most games, I'd say the chances you are looking for at least high rarity cards cannot be ignored.
With digital products there's a big difference: you do not own the cards. I mean this in the literal term of the word, almost all the time your account is not technically yours but it's given to you by the company (you agree by accepting the ToS). You are still gambling though (given my aforementioned definition). You are betting on digital pixels instead of physical cellulose, that's all.
Not if you're drafting.

And that's a fairly loose definition of gambling, one I don't think is adopted by the various US gaming laws. When you gamble, you're hoping to win a prize based on consideration and chance, or you lose. When you buy a booster, you're never losing, but you just might not always get what you want.

If chance was the only indicator of gambling, then we'd need to consider adding those sidewalk toy machines that require a $0.25 "bet" to the legislation because you might not always get the toy you want.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
somewhat oddly, perhaps ppl will need to shift their attitudes towards fiction as part of coming to terms w the hyper realism of our present moment

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/13/arundhati-roy-literature-shelter-pen-america
"As the ice caps melt, as oceans heat up, and water tables plunge, as we rip through the delicate web of interdependence that sustains life on earth, as our formidable intelligence leads us to breach the boundaries between humans and machines, and our even more formidable hubris undermines our ability to connect the survival of our planet to our survival as a species, as we replace art with algorithms and stare into a future in which most human beings may not be needed to participate in (or be remunerated for) economic activity – at just such a time we have the steady hands of white supremacists in the White House, new imperialists in China, neo-Nazis once again massing on the streets of Europe, Hindu nationalists in India, and a host of butcher-princes and lesser dictators in other countries to guide us into the Unknown.

While many of us dreamt that “Another world is possible”, these folks were dreaming that too. And it is their dream – our nightmare – that is perilously close to being realized."

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What makes the recent wave of anti-abortion laws constitutional? Are the states just gambling the Supreme Court is going to reverse roe v wade??

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
What makes the recent wave of anti-abortion laws constitutional? Are the states just gambling the Supreme Court is going to reverse roe v wade??
Basically they’re just trying to get the laws in front of the Supreme Court in order to force the court to reevaluate Roe v Wade. Most of the laws aren’t designed to actually pass

What makes Abortions R Us in NY constitutional? Point being, clearly the issue has not been settled, and I think it has every right to be re-evaluated because of how little constitutional basis Roe had in the first place. The court made law as opposed to evaluating law in that case, and in Justice Blackmun's opinion, even the definition of life was still up in the air. Fetal vitality was put as the standard in Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992, and that's the wiggleroom that state's like Alabama are using to justify these laws.

Also, if you truly don't like the laws being passed, move somewhere else? I'm incredibly doubtful places like NY and California are gonna reverse their abortion positions if Roe is ever reversed (which imo I highly doubt it'll ever be fully reversed).

Myzozoa

the assumption is that with the changing composition of the lower courts, this law will spur cases all the way to the supreme court as it is designed so that the law cannot be upheld without undoing roe. and w the kavanaugh appointment, it is thought roe may be undone at the supreme court level. that cases based on this law could make it though lower courts is worrying enough since under different circumstances (such as if the same cases were attempted to be brought in Los Angeles for example) would be dismissed relatively quickly by judges that just decide the case for the defence when they bring up issues of constitutionality and supreme court rulings. The case would have more difficulty proceeding. But the idea here is that conservative activist judges will find language and recourse to pass these cases all the way up. Not really sure what that will mean for individuals brought into legal jeopardy through these circumstances but it could get pretty cruel for these women depending on how the legal system processes their claim to the right to be not be incarcerated as their cases wind their way through the system presumed to be stacked against them.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Also, if you truly don't like the laws being passed, move somewhere else? I'm incredibly doubtful places like NY and California are gonna reverse their abortion positions if Roe is ever reversed (which imo I highly doubt it'll ever be fully reversed).
Considering the fact that oftentimes the people hurt most by abortions being made illegal are poor, moving isn't a viable option. As for richer people, if they want an abortion they will likely get one regardless (albeit much riskier).

GatoDelFuego

Considering that roe v wade ruled that the right to have certain abortions is "fundamental"..........if you don't like gun control, why not move to Somalia? The usa is our country and the laws there should not infringe on rights

Considering that roe v wade ruled that the right to have certain abortions is "fundamental"..........if you don't like gun control, why not move to Somalia? The usa is our country and the laws there should not infringe on rights
Ok, that includes the right of all persons, including the ones you're evidently ok with killing.

Even though that statement you made is hypocritical given gun control measures infringe on gun rights specifically outlined in the constitution (unlike abortions), I light-heartedly agree with your premise that our rights should not be infringed upon, and that includes the right to life.

Considering the fact that oftentimes the people hurt most by abortions being made illegal are poor, moving isn't a viable option. As for richer people, if they want an abortion they will likely get one regardless (albeit much riskier).
Ok, don't have sex without protection or knowing the consequences of it. I don't see how that's difficult. Why does that warrant sucking the brains out of and carving up another person with a whole unique set of DNA?

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, that includes the right of all persons, including the ones you're ok with killing.

Even though that statement is hypocritical given gun conyrol measures infringe on gun rights specifically outlined in the constitution (unlike abortions), I light-heartedly agree with your premise that our rights should not be infringed upon, and that includes the right to life.

Ok, don't have sex without protection or knowing the consequences of it. I don't see how that's difficult. Why does that warrant sucking the brains out of and carving up another person with a whole unique set of DNA?
Let’s assume for the sake of argument that any egg sperm combination is a person (which is not a good assumption given the frequency with which those naturally self abort, the fact that they don’t even have shrimp level brain activity until after week 23, and the definition of living includes the ability to maintain homeostasis which you could make an argument for I guess, it would just be extremely dubious). But for the sake of argument we’re making terrible assumptions. It is illegal to compel others in the USA to donate blood, organs, etc against their will even if it would save someone’s life. For example if I had kidney failure and we were a match I couldn’t make you donate your kidney to me because it would violate your civil rights even at the cost of my life. My mother and father are also not legally obligated to donate their kidney to me. Why do you believe a fetus has the right to violate another persons civil liberty in order to save their life but not an actual living person?

In regards to your second paragraph, you’ll probably find most pro choice people also want to see a reduction in abortion, they just actually believe in using effective means to do so. For example, mandatory comprehensive sex education (which conservatives often oppose) so people do have that knowledge. Expanding health care access so that people have access to cheap / free birth control (where as conservatives put policies in place that make health care less accessible and want to allow employers to exempt birth control from health insurance coverage for “religious beliefs”). Making abortion illegal doesn’t significantly reduce abortions it just makes them more dangerous.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I look forward to a future where we start paying poor women more through social programs 9 months earlier for their unborn children since they are already totally people. also where immigrant women can't be deported because that would mean you're deporting an american citizen who has those protections before they're even born. Like, let's take the notion that an embryo is a human to its true logical conclusion and give everyone their rights.

but really, everything llamas said about bodily autonomy.

Let’s assume for the sake of argument that any egg sperm combination is a person (which is not a good assumption given the frequency with which those naturally self abort, the fact that they don’t even have shrimp level brain activity until after week 23, and the definition of living includes the ability to maintain homeostasis which you could make an argument for I guess, it would just be extremely dubious). But for the sake of argument we’re making terrible assumptions. It is illegal to compel others in the USA to donate blood, organs, etc against their will even if it would save someone’s life. For example if I had kidney failure and we were a match I couldn’t make you donate your kidney to me because it would violate your civil rights even at the cost of my life. My mother and father are also not legally obligated to donate their kidney to me. Why do you believe a fetus has the right to violate another persons civil liberty in order to save their life but not an actual living person?

In regards to your second paragraph, you’ll probably find most pro choice people also want to see a reduction in abortion, they just actually believe in using effective means to do so. For example, mandatory comprehensive sex education (which conservatives often oppose) so people do have that knowledge. Expanding health care access so that people have access to cheap / free birth control (where as conservatives put policies in place that make health care less accessible and want to allow employers to exempt birth control from health insurance coverage for “religious beliefs”). Making abortion illegal doesn’t significantly reduce abortions it just makes them more dangerous.
Ok I don't get why you mentioned half of what you said. I think in order for the abortion debate to go anywhere productive, we need a definition on what a life is (by law). You say that for shrimp brain activity doesn't begin until 23 weeks. Ok, what about a human that's in a coma? There's no brain activity there, but there's a chance they can get out of it. Are they no longer considered alive because they're braindead? What about with a heartbeat? Ok clearer, but if you took any CPR/first aid you would know that if you act quick enough it is possible to revive them. If you were either brain dead or your heart stopped, could I stab you and not be imprisoned for it? I would hope to God not. That's why in my opinion conception is the clearest line you can cut without grey area (and you can notice that not once did I mention anything about religion).

As for the notion that it is illegal to compel others to donate blood, organs, etc., ok, where are you going with this? As shitty as it may be that if you're the only person that can save someone and you decide not to, that's your right because that's your body. It's impeccably naive to conflate that with woman and abortions however, so don't even try it. Why? Because what we're talking about is another person with a whole different set of genetics and DNA, that is not the woman my friend. That's another person developing inside that in 99% of cases was by consensual sex. Disregarding marginal cases for just a moment, that was your choice above all else. When you have sex, no matter how much you wanna spin that, you will always run some sort of risk of a baby being produced. Abstinence is the only 100% foolproof way of not producing a baby let alone unwanted pregnancy. So no, the fetus was not and is not violating any civil liberty, most people chose that knowing fully well the possible consequences of their actions.

Now, your last paragraph, I'm not going to speak for all conservatives, I'm only speaking for myself, so let's not conflate that with my argument please. It's great that you want to see a reduction of abortions (or at least I assume so since you brought it up). Is Abortions R Us in NY a great way of going about that, aborting a baby for legitamently any reason at any time until it's entire body is outside the canal during birth? By doing that you're encouraging abortions, and when you turn entire skyscrapers pink, and lie about how it's the woman's body. Yea, that's gonna send the message to encourage abortions. Plenty of celebrities have helped encourage it too, which is sickening. That does not downgrade the value of human life, as much as it may degrade the meaning of human life, I think it is inherently valuable and well worth defending, because the constitution does protect life, liberty, and freedom. As for birth control, sure, no issues there, do what you want. I think the government is bad at running things that the private sector easily can like that, and I don't believe it's smart to use tax dollars for it, but through the free market or even for example what some colleges are doing by providing free condoms, sure. Sex Ed? It's pretty damn smart on the off-chance your kids end up doing it, unless they know the potential consequences and them knowing what you're doing, that ain't my business. Parents have the right to pull their kids out if they so wish, but other than that, not my business.

My problem is not making abortion fully illegal. I'm at least a little more sympathetic towards those who were raped or the mom's life is in danger (Alabama's abortion law is an interesting story, believe it or not leonard (from big bang theory) and I actually agree on something). There are emergency situations where abortion may be necessary (as much as that does not downplay the fact that a rape-victim's baby is still a life, I can give ground in that she did not have any say or control), and you do not need Planned Parenthood to carry them out either--I absolutely do not want my tax dollars paying for someone else's abortion, thanks. My problem is with this "right" to kill someone willy nilly, it's desperately poor argument to conflate these marginal cases with 99% of abortions (and that ain't even exaggerated). Lets be real here though, if Roe was reversed right here right now, I highly highly highly doubt states like NY or California are gonna reverse their abortion laws. Anything that isn't explicitly stated constitution comes down to state autonomy more than anything else (even though once again, life is in the constitution, but I acknowledge how unlikely that'll change), that was intended. That fact easily translates legislation for abortions. We are not gonna go back to the bloody dark ages either, that's a hilarious overstatement, especially considering my last couple sentences.

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Zero chance Roberts overturns Roe. There is a chance that it’ll get re-defined to be more clear however - when the decision first came down it was assumed to allow first trimester and some second trimester abortions, but that’s never been clarified and obviously different states have wildly different interpretations at this point.

Imo the court will say abortion up to 20-22 weeks is a fundamental right and after that is constitutional in certain cases, but who knows really. It just comes down to what Roberts wants to do since the other eight justices will just vote and decide like partisan drones.

Myzozoa

rbgs gonna live forever unclesam? i havent seen too many non white women make that take, and it's been a while even for them

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-declares-israel-boycott-campaign-antisemitic
"The far-right Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) brought forward a separate motion calling for a complete ban of the BDS movement. Jürgen Braun, an AfD MP, claimed his party was the true friend of Israel in the German parliament, adding that “antisemitism comes from the left and Islam”. The AfD abstained on the government’s motion."

the anti-semites and the zionists working together again to undermine free speech, it's almost like they want european jews to go to israel or something.

atomicllamas' post is hilarious. excellent joke.

imo, it is necessary to have abortions legalized for r&d to develop an ex-vivo womb supply chain so that we can unburden people with functional womb from the inconvenience of pregnancy.

Myzozoa

imo, it is necessary to have abortions legalized for r&d to develop an ex-vivo womb supply chain so that we can unburden people with functional womb from the inconvenience of pregnancy.
yeah thats more likely than just continuing to turn poor women's bodies into functional surrogates, held as the common property of the state

yeah thats more likely than just continuing to turn poor women's bodies into functional surrogates, held as the common property of the state
a fully functional ex-vivo womb supply chain would include ex-vivo gametogenesis.
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608452/a-new-way-to-reproduce/
No human skin cell has been turned into a bona fide human reproductive cell. But many scientists believe it’s only a matter of time—maybe only a year or two—before they get the right recipe. Recent advances have been “absolutely clear, and breathtaking” says George Daley, a stem-cell biologist who recently became dean of Harvard’s medical school.
a prick of skin cell sample is hardly turning poor women into functional surrogates held as common property of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)