Generation 5 tiers, an initial list.

All the rage has been posting proposed ban lists, joshe and I talked about this, we like it:

Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Wobbuffet
Wynaut
Zekrom

---

Pokemon that should not be on ban list but should be prioritized and addressed in a stabilized metagame:

Shanderaa (Shadow Tag)
Doryuuzu
Latios / Latias (Soul Dew?)
Shaymin-s
Garchomp (Sand Veil)
Manaphy
Mew
Deoxys-D

It seems extremely standard but the key idea here was to try and leave any questionable Pokemon off the list, and make them priority Pokemon to judge.

3/4 Deoxys forms are listed, 2 of which have Attack, Special Attack, and Speed well above almost every Pokemon, while the other has the highest Speed stat in the game. All 3 have access to entry hazards and their high Speed gives them an easy advantage to getting them up. And we used Deoxys-s in OU multiple times last gen, telling ourselves it wouldn't be terrible, but it continued to be amazing. I would not argue with putting Deoxys-s on questionable though if more people feel that way, but prior experience is something to consider, let's not make the same mistakes again (ie: every team leads with Deoxys to get up early entry hazards or double screens).

However, the last form (Deoxys-D), is much slower and will now be a part of a metagame that hits harder and faster than the previous, just as DPPT did compared to Advance. And as the other Deoxys formes all have niches which contribute to why they might be considered broken, Deoxys-D does not have the Special Attack or Speed to set it apart from any other Pokemon in Black/White. The real question will be "can its defenses hold up vs B/W threats". With a worse typing than Lugia and a much lower HP stat, this is a Pokemon to keep an eye on but is definitely questionable enough that it should be properly tested and decided on before immediately placing it in Ubers.

Skip down to Lugia - Lugia can wall just as many Pokemon as before, and as Jabba put it, "We didn't think Blissey would be a wall again in 4th generation". Lugia has fantastic stats and typing (Don't forget it has a 4x resist to Fighting and an immunity to Ground) and has a very potent Speed stat and a strong Special Movepool, Calm Mind, and stats that now turn it into a ferocious special sweeper as well.

The last 2 Pokemon who may raise some eyebrows are Wobbuffet and Wynaut. There is no ability as unbalanced as Shadow Tag, but I can agree it isn't enough to ban a Pokemon. What is enough is Shadow Tag combined with fantastic HP, Encore, and Mirror Coat/Counter. I know people are going to get mad at Wynaut, but Wynaut is basically Wobbuffet with slighty worse stats. However, Wynaut possesses something that puts it right up to par with Wobbuffet: Pre-evolution Stone. Although it now lacks Leftovers, Wynaut can now take hits extremely well, and functions almost exactly as Wobbuffet.

All the questionable Pokemon were banned last generation with the exception of 2 Black and White Pokemon who should be immediately inspected. Shadow Tag Shanderaa traps and can completely ruin teams, although it is not as great as Wynaut or Wobbuffet. Maybe Shadow Tag is what is at fault here though? I think the ability itself should be tested. Doryuuzu is fantastic with Sand Throw, but doesn't require a ban. However, common sense says that it will be a Pokemon to keep an eye on.

Finally, I'd like to throw a mention out to Ditto. It serves many new roles to teams, acting as a check to any Pokemon, being able to scout a Pokemon's moveset and set easily, and destroying the concept of setting up. Ditto is a great Pokemon that should serve as a very useful check, but let's make sure we discuss it appropiately and make a stand on it early so we don't have to deal with Ditto discussion later.

I'm in agreement with Chris Is Me, among other users who have posted previously. I am not understanding the reasoning behind why--for those who are proposing a ban list for Gen V--Pokemon who are controversial (AKA Pokemon being argued in this very thread) are even being included on said list. While I myself am anti-ban, I'd still be more than comfortable starting with an initial list that has zero controversy if it is for the sake of saving time.

Of course Mew is going to be VERY good at it, but I don't get the idea that Baton Passing would be incredibly viable if only we had Pokemon to do it with. Basically, I think the question is open to enough debate that testing is in favor.
Have you really played with or against Mew enough to state that? Baton Passing is extremely viable. Mew passing can easily sweep Uber teams and can replicate that pretty easily in OU as well. Gliscor can do this as well but it has way more common weaknesses than Mew as well as a 4x weaknesses that hits on it's lower defensive stat. In addition, Togekiss is nowhere near as good a passer as Mew is.

The arguments to allow Mew really do seem to be based a lot on inexperience with the Pokemon in my opinion, however, if people do really want to test it, then feel free to but I'm definitely going to stick to and point out that it's a horrible idea. Even worse if Deoxys -S is allowed at the same time.

Also, KD24's list isn't bad.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think KD24's list is terrible.

Has anyone been able to get the full Battle Subway ban list? I would support using that over no banlist under the condition we don't start altering it throughout the generation.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Have you really played with or against Mew enough to state that? Baton Passing is extremely viable. Mew passing can easily sweep Uber teams and can replicate that pretty easily in OU as well. Gliscor can do this as well but it has way more common weaknesses than Mew as well as a 4x weaknesses that hits on it's lower defensive stat. In addition, Togekiss is nowhere near as good a passer as Mew is.
With a Yache Berry, what can OHKO Gliscor? I'd say no more than can OHKO Mew (Tyranitar basically, and plenty super strong attackers). I wouldn't say Gliscor is bogged down as a BPer because of it's typing. I'd say it's because BPing a single Swords Dance is a little overrated when you factor in that there are immunities, Choice Scarf revenge killers, Trickers, and all that other fun stuff to deal with, plus this Pokemon isn't even an offensive threat in itself (unless it loses Taunt to get coverage).

Sounds like almost all of those things apply to Mew, honestly. I'm sure it would be great at it, but I think broken remains to be seen. Can't hurt to try.

With a Yache Berry, what can OHKO Gliscor? I'd say no more than can OHKO Mew (Tyranitar basically, and plenty super strong attackers). I wouldn't say Gliscor is bogged down as a BPer because of it's typing. I'd say it's because BPing a single Swords Dance is a little overrated when you factor in that there are immunities, Choice Scarf revenge killers, Trickers, and all that other fun stuff to deal with, plus this Pokemon isn't even an offensive threat in itself (unless it loses Taunt to get coverage).

Sounds like almost all of those things apply to Mew, honestly. I'm sure it would be great at it, but I think broken remains to be seen. Can't hurt to try.
You have no idea what you're talking about since most Trickers and Choice Scarf Pokemon should not affect the pass much at all. However since you all are so adamant about bothering to test Mew, then go ahead and see how pointless it is. To be quite honest I think we can just go ahead and use a ban list like the following since it seems to appease most peoples wishes. It is far from ideal in my opinion but If more people can at least come to some kind of agreement on this then at least we can proceed to move on.

Arceus
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
It's basically just the cover legends and Arceus.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Arceus
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
While this banlist isn't horrible, there's still a lot of people (including yourself), who think that Lugia should have a test. If it's actually being argued for quite a bit, then it should at least be an exception, since we all know that being a cover legend hasn't always resulted in uber status (ie. Suicune xD). I'd probably be content with everything else on the list though.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just read over my post and noticed how douchey it seems towards KD24. Sorry KD24, I just mean that any list that puts a Pokemon like Wobbuffet which has always seen debate should not be used even if you can debate cases against it.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd probably be more content with the following list:

Arceus
Darkrai
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
IIRC, Darkrai had no arguments against its ban due to the new sleep mechanics. However, Lugia should be dropped, simply because at the very least there has been some controversy around it. Personally, I can't see it lasting, but it's better to settle on an agreeable banlist by testing a couple questionable things rather than failing to come to an agreement and ending up with no banlist.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I dont think lugia should be dropped. We have already tested it in PO and we all agreed it was broken. After a single CM, only tyranitar can beat it. Its not even similar than suicune

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Whether you think lugia is broken or not it doesn't matter as it is a controversial pokemon at the moment. I think the best ban list to start with is:

Arceus
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom

I think this is the best possible ban list that both sides can agree on. Notice that I have taken out darkrai because once again although a lot of people may think it's uber it is still controversial. Lugia too falls in the same boat as darkrai as although a lot of people think its uber it is still controversial.

I don't see any harm in testing the controversial "ubers" in OU as long as our banning system is fast and efficient. I really don't get what the point is of testing kyogre/arceus etc since they are just flat out uber no matter how you slice it.

Wynaut needs a test, this has been talked about for ages, I don't see why we shouldn't test it now at all times. I'm quite happy to start with a minimal ban list now and work towards a bigger one as we go along. IMO. The only semi-controversial pokemon I think we need to make uber ASAP is wobb. It's the definition of broken and makes setting up sweeps waaaaaay too easy (as much as I would love to use something like that on my teams).

Whether you think lugia is broken or not it doesn't matter as it is a controversial pokemon at the moment. I think the best ban list to start with is:

Arceus
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom

I think this is the best possible ban list that both sides can agree on. Notice that I have taken out darkrai because once again although a lot of people may think it's uber it is still controversial. Lugia too falls in the same boat as darkrai as although a lot of people think its uber it is still controversial.

I don't see any harm in testing the controversial "ubers" in OU as long as our banning system is fast and efficient. I really don't get what the point is of testing kyogre/arceus etc since they are just flat out uber no matter how you slice it.
I agree with this. Though the banlist on PO had been the same as that + Lugia for a few days, and then Lugia was removed from it on the two main servers because players from #stark asked for it. It was unanimously thought as uber and "insanely broken", by players from #stark as well as from PO and the other server, for the CM and subroost sets.

So it was added back to the banlist, and the least to say is that if all the other pokemon mentioned above form the banlist, then Lugia has to be included too.

I don't know about Darkrai, it's said it takes 2 pokemon out per team most of the time but it's still not as broken as the others, and about Wobbuffet just not enough players use it.

In short,

Arceus
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
Though if Lugia was to be removed in order for an "initial banlist" to be adopted I would remove it, and I don't mind Darkrai being or not in the list. Note that I'm not against the concept of a "No banlist" idea, it's just that I don't want to wait that long.

That list is the same as the list I posted just a few posts before Atticus. It's fairly minimalistic and more or less gets the job done and the ball rolling. I won't say I'm pleased in seeing certain Pokemon left off of it like Deoxys - A and Mew but we can weed those out later when the metagame is a bit more settled.

I'm pretty excited to see it implemented on PO this quickly though.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Arceus
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom

I pretty much agree with this post but if you are going to allow Pokemon such as Lugia to be tested, the testing period HAS to be quick and clean, as in a couple of weeks at the most, especially seeing as some threats will mask other threats to an extent.

I'd also like to know why people think Ho-oh is flat out Uber and Lugia isn't? Just because someone said on the fly 'Lugia sucks' justifies a test? I'd imagine Ho-oh would be vastly more OU than Lugia would be.

I'd also like to know why people think Ho-oh is flat out Uber and Lugia isn't? Just because someone said on the fly 'Lugia sucks' justifies a test? I'd imagine Ho-oh would be vastly more OU than Lugia would be.
What I would like to know is why people keep asking this same question to hear the exact same answer over and over. Ho-Oh has gotten even better since Gen 4 where it was clearly uber and generally people still want to assume because SR exists it should be OU?

Also, I'm pretty sure no one said on the fly, that "Lugia sucks" so stop exaggerating.

coyotte508 said:
Arceus
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
On the first page, I advocated a very similar list. As a matter of fact, the only difference is that my list has Dialga while yours does not. I feel like you probably intended Dialga to be there, though, since Palkia is there as well as Giratina/-O and Dialga is just as good as any of them. Anyway, after all of the discussion in this thread, I think the original list I posted in the above link is still the one I most support. It seems also that others, like Atticus and coyotte508, also support it (assuming that their omission of Dialga was an accident, anyway).

------------------------------------------------------------------

That said, I've been trying to sort out which banlists will be on the poll where we try to decide which banlist to support. The poll will have a few banlists on it for us to choose from, and the banlist that receives the most support will be the one that we pit against the "no banlist at all" option in a final poll that decides how we start the tiering of Gen V. So far, the banlists I am thinking should be on the poll are as follows. Note that no one gets credit for the banlists; they are community-generated, so if you posted it first it doesn't matter. Your name will not be attached to it in any form.

Note that I am basing the banlists on those presented in this thread, and I am gauging their support by the number and quality of "support" and "oppose" posts to the banlists. The following are presented in order from posted first in the topic to posted most recently.
Banlist #1 said:
Arceus
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
This includes all 670+ BST Pokemon only and has seen a tremendous amount of support as a minimalist (but not super minimalist) banlist for use. This will definitely be on the poll.
Banlist #2 said:
Arceus
Dialga
Groudon
Kyogre
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
This is a hyper minimalist banlist that seemed to get a bunch of support from people who were on the edge of 'no banlist'. It received some opposition from those who want more expansive banlists, however, but it got enough support to make it to the poll.
Banlist #3 said:
Arceus
Deoxys-s
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Wobbuffet
Zekrom
This is the most expansive banlist that received a lot of support as well. This one is similar to banlist #1, except that it also bans Wobbuffet and Deoxys-S. Lots of negative feedback was provided by those that advocate a more minimalist approach to banlists, though, but this got enough support to get into the poll.
Banlist #4 said:
Arceus
Darkrai
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-o
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Zekrom
This is a slightly expanded banlist #2 with the additions of both formes of Giratina, Ho-Oh, Reshiram, Zekrom, and Darkrai. This got a little bit of support, but I think just enough for it to hit the threshold for getting into the poll.

From what I can see in this thread, and I think everyone will agree with me here, these are the most supported banlists presented in this thread. If you have feedback about this, then by all means post it, but we need to move on with this stage so that we can decide on initial tiering of Gen V. This thread shouldn't be open for discussion for that much longer.

My only concern with these four options for a banlist is that Lists #1 and #4 are rather similar (#1 has Lugia on it but excludes Darkrai while list #4 has the two vice versa). Because of this, I'm worried that there may be be a potential split between voters on the two lists. Half the voters who like that sort of list might vote for #1 while the other half might vote for #4. I'm worried that this potential split may give both these options a less turnout but when combined, they actually have the greater total. For example, I would vote for list #1 but I prefer #4 over options #2 and #3. In short, I think the two lists should be merged whether it be having both Lugia and Darkrai excluded from the list or both of them on it. They're only two Pokemon and don't warrant two separate lists IMO.

Something else I wanted to note was that I don't think users who plan on voting "no ban list" should vote on which ban list actually goes through for the real vote. Since they're not going to be voting on the option, I think the vote should be comprised of only those who actually desire a ban list as the outcome is supposed to represent the overall opinion of these people.

Something else I wanted to note was that I don't think users who plan on voting "no ban list" should vote on which ban list actually goes through for the real vote. Since they're not going to be voting on the option, I think the vote should be comprised of only those who actually desire a ban list as the outcome is supposed to represent the overall opinion of these people.
I disagree, in the event that smogon decides to start with an initial ban list it should be the list that the community as a whole would prefer.

I disagree, in the event that smogon decides to start with an initial ban list it should be the list that the community as a whole would prefer.
My issue though is that any user that prefers no banlist will vote for option #2 which is banning the bare minimal. While thats fine, this means that users supporting a banlist will be split between the given options. It's not hard to tell which option will have the advantage. Should such a situation occur, I don't find that to be accurate or fair to pro-banlist users. The list that represents banlist users should represent their opinion since they're the actual ones who are voting for the option.

Megan, everyone should have a say in what the banlist is, not just those pro-banlist. In the event that there ends up being a banlist, I want those users who originally didn't want a banlist to have had a say in what the resulting banlist was. Everyone in PR should absolutely be able to vote in this poll.

Also, 1 and 4 are very similar, I agree. If the community here would like to voice support for having one over the other in the poll, I would be amiable to such a decision. Personally, I greatly support #1 over #4, and if I had to pick one for the poll, I'd want it to be #1. If others have any opinions on this, I would love to hear them. If there's not a lot of feedback in this vein, both #1 and #4 will end up going to the poll.

My issue though is that any user that prefers no banlist will vote for option #2 which is banning the bare minimal. While thats fine, this means that users supporting a banlist will be split between the given options. It's not hard to tell which option will have the advantage. Should such a situation occur, I don't find that to be accurate or fair to pro-banlist users. The list that represents banlist users should represent their opinion since they're the actual ones who are voting for the option.
Then it may be better to vote on the eventual banlist before voting in favor of a ban list or not. That way people can see what would be the banlist if that choice was adopted, and people who vote for a banlist will vote for a banlist they prefer for sure over "No Banlist". That'll give a fair vote without the issue of splitting options, with the majority represented, and with no concerns such as "I don't know what the banlist will be, so I'm voting No Banlist".

Of course, It's assuming that people who intend to vote for No Banlist regardless of the banlist chosen abstain from the vote... But this is Policy Review so I think this is fine.

Edit: Didn't see Rising Dusk's post and would support #1 over #4, and with only three banlists there'd be less issues anyway.

Megan, everyone should have a say in what the banlist is, not just those pro-banlist. In the event that there ends up being a banlist, I want those users who originally didn't want a banlist to have had a say in what the resulting banlist was. Everyone in PR should absolutely be able to vote in this poll.

Also, 1 and 4 are very similar, I agree. If the community here would like to voice support for having one over the other in the poll, I would be amiable to such a decision. Personally, I greatly support #1 over #4, and if I had to pick one for the poll, I'd want it to be #1. If others have any opinions on this, I would love to hear them. If there's not a lot of feedback in this vein, both #1 and #4 will end up going to the poll.
In regards to the first part, ill accept that even though it does give a minimal list an advantage over other lists. As for list #1 vs #4, tbh I personally think both Lugia and Darkrai should be on the banlist but I would chose #1 > #4. I definitly think there shouldn't be two lists though.

coyotte508 said:
Then it may be better to vote on the eventual banlist before voting in favor of a ban list or not.
This was the plan already. We will vote on which banlist we want before we vote on whether or not there will even be a banlist. That way, the voters on the second poll won't be hesitant to vote for a banlist that is as-of-yet undecided. This will better represent what people actually want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)