A: shift gear genesect doesn't need to run all physical moves, or
Even invest fully in physical attack. The set I use:

Life orb
252 spatk, enough speed for adamant excadrill in sand, the test in attack

-shift gear
-iron head
-flamethrower
-giga drain/tbolt

The iron head still hits crazy hard, especially at plus 2, but this way it's coverage does wayyy more. Some one can check this, but I think +1 flamethrower can ko 252 hp aegislash after rocks and spikes (will edit in calc). You may wonder why I don't use blaze kick, but nearly every steel is physically defensive. Also, Iike to avoid mind games with aegislash. Finally, giga drain hits rotoms,
Tbolt gives you a way to touch fires, but giga drain is better.

Oh and one of the best parts is that it takes advantage of wait her download boost, although it generally prefers spatk.

B: shift gear is Always better than rock polish. Even If you only use special moves, just using shift gear will make them hesitant to bring in their blissey or florges.

Bulky volcarona is the best genesect switch in i can think of. It laughs at every attack (bar the odd explosion) and the flame body chance will discourage it from u-turn spamming. Flame Body heatran could be another good choice, but that inst released yet. Phys defensive rotom-h is something that could work as well but the fact is, volcarona has that roost+quiver dance combination that makes it extremely hard to kill and put huge pressure on the opponent.
Offensive Volcarona with a Timid Nature also outspeeds Genesect by a point, and Choice Scarf variants after a Quiver Dance (Correct me if I'm wrong), and Flame Body is still nice to run on it thanks to it's resistances.

B: shift gear is Always better than rock polish. Even If you only use special moves, just using shift gear will make them hesitant to bring in their blissey or florges.
There's also the advent of Foul Play, which in case, Rock Polish would be superior, especially since Steel no longer resists Dark and Foul Play has become more common from Klefki and Mandibuzz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I was wrong to say it is outclassed, but good players don't use klefki, so I guess it is a reasonable trade off if you don't like pink blobs like me. Overall, I would say that mixed gear is the best sweeping set tho

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bar Swagger / Foul Play, I see no reason to run Rock Polish > Shift Gear on a special set. The extra opportunity to bluff a physically based set may cause the opponent to switch into something they expect to wall a physical Genesect and then you have an extra turn to take them down with special moves.

Anyhow, Scarf is Genescts best bet while the other sets you mentioned always feel somewhat lackluster to me. They can however perform well in the OU meta provided the correct team support is available.

There is certainly a reason to run Rock Polish. Shift Gear is event locked into a Hasty nature, so Rock Polish with 3 special attacks is 10% more powerful than Shift Gear with 3 special attacks because it can run Modest. Shift Gear is better if you're running any physical moves, RP is better if you're not.

I think Genesect is better then it was before and I can't put my finger on why... For some reason it's way more effective then it used to be IMO even without fairies. It's definetly not the shift gear set doing it(because no one uses it for some reason). I think the Shift Gear set will make it into a deadly sweeper though if used right.

I use this thing in ubers (my best tier) and OU but oddly, it performs so much better in ubers lol

Physical scarf is awesome with: iron head, u-turn, ice beam, explosion (psychic, if being used in ubers).
252+ speed, 252 attack, 4 spatk, -special defence

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Shift gear forces you to use a hasty nature as opposed to timid/modest (along with 31 ivs in atk) so if you're using a specially based gene it is preferable to have 0 atk ivs to reduce confusion/foul play damage and not to mention rp sweeper gene shouldn't be hasty anyhow

I've found that a Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn can help make this guy a bit easier to handle if it's a U-Turner. Opponents who don't learn lose their bug quickly and those who do learn stop spamming U-Turn.

Shift gear forces you to use a hasty nature as opposed to timid/modest (along with 31 ivs in atk) so if you're using a specially based gene it is preferable to have 0 atk ivs to reduce confusion/foul play damage and not to mention rp sweeper gene shouldn't be hasty anyhow
Fair point, I accept that I was wrong, although bluffing physical is at least worth considering. However, I would say that mixed gear is overall far superior to rock polish

Scarf set is the one that isn't hard to deal with. Especially if you get the thing to lock into something not SE against Magnezone (good to have because all the Ferros and Skarms running due to Genghis Khan). Even if it packs flamethrower.

+1 252 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Magnezone: 248-292 (72 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Expert Belt Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Magnezone: 298-350 (86.6 - 101.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Magnezone: 322-380 (93.6 - 110.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

In back

56+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 264-312 (93.2 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

It is good if Skarms and Ferros aren't around for some reason or you have already eliminated them. And 'zone isn't useless outside trapping and eliminating those otherwise annoying steels that still kinda run rampart. Well it can also scare azumarill away since it can take basically anything barring Superpower and then outspeed and OHKO with TBolt. Same with togekisses and stuff like that since it can't be paralyzed. For extra niche I am running Magnet Rise as a 4th slot just to sometimes pull shenanigans on obvious switchins that rely on EQ. Then there is the option to run AV on Magnezone:

+1 252 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 166-196 (48.2 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Expert Belt Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 199-235 (57.8 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 216-255 (62.7 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Scarf is kinda useless on it although I thought it could be good to use in order to switch in and outspeed genesect to ohko it with hp fire, but obviously 60 base speed kinda ruins this plan as it never outspeeds them even if those bugs aren't +speed natured.

So basically if Magnezone switch into rocks to revenge kill The Bug it wins all but LO -variant 75% of the time (100% for scarfers and 50% for EB). BUT if you slap an assault vest on Magnezone it can even deal with LO Genes, only in that case it loses Leftovers recovery but I guess it still can take on both Skarm and Genesect on one game, dealing with Ferros is more complicated due to leech seed doing most likely enough damage leaving zone not being able to live flamethrower from LO Gene later on. I actually see AV Magnezone a good option to have in current OU.

The scarf u-turn variant likes Dugtrio as a teammate for obvious reasons. Dugtrio will pretty much trap and take care of most of the obvious switch ins, except for fairies like Azumarill or Togekiss.

252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 360-424 (93.2 - 109.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Volcarona: 328-388 (87.7 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 340-408 (98.8 - 118.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

As you probably noticed, the calculations were made assuming the opponent used a bulky physically defensive set, and Dugtrio with an Adamant nature. Slap a band on it and it's pretty much a guaranteed OHKO on everything mentioned above, though I'd honestly still prefer sashing it.

Then again, I'm just stating the obvious lol

Genesect may be ban-worthy, but Techno Blast getting buffed is not what will lead to it. He has to sacrifice his item slot for a 120 BP Water move (he really has no reason to use any other cassette). Big whoop.

Genesect may be ban-worthy, but Techno Blast getting buffed is not what will lead to it. He has to sacrifice his item slot for a 120 BP Water move (he really has no reason to use any other cassette). Big whoop.
Have fun trying to switch in your Heatran to get 2HKO to a base 120 100% accurate move.

At least Techno Blast is somewhat usable now, though I doubt many Genesect will forgo another more useful item for Water-type Techno Blast.

252 SpA Genesect Techno Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 170-202 (44 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Any thoughts on the merit of a cassette-less Techno Blast? Normal may be underwhelming, but 120 BP with no drawbacks (and the ability to use an item) could be good.

Side note, but why can't the Porygons learn Techno Blast QQ

Oh, I forgot Genesect doesn't get Download anymore. :\
I didn't factor the boost because Heatran's Special Defense is higher. But to please you:
+1 252 SpA Genesect Techno Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 256-302 (66.3 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I still don't think it's worth wasting the item slot.

I didn't factor the boost because Heatran's Special Defense is higher. But to please you:
+1 252 SpA Genesect Techno Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 256-302 (66.3 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I still don't think it's worth wasting the item slot.
Why are you switching a Genesect in on a Heatran. It's the other way around. Of course the boost matters. It's what partially makes it good in the first place.

Any thoughts on the merit of a cassette-less Techno Blast? Normal may be underwhelming, but 120 BP with no drawbacks (and the ability to use an item) could be good.

Side note, but why can't the Porygons learn Techno Blast QQ
Flash Cannon has the same effective base power and the only thing Normal hits neutrally that Genesect can't already cover with another move is Fire. Not really worth it, especially since the main Fire type switching in on him resists it.

HP Ground already hits for the same BP against Heatran and it doesn't use up your item slot. This doesn't really change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)