Gods Among Us, OU Edition - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
In for genesect and for the fun.

AM are we allowed to post our thoughts on the "unbanned" mons as long as we keep it civil and not, "lul +6 specs sun heatran fire blast OHKO's genesect weak ass mon unban plz"?
ill think on it and make a decision later.
Surprise I made a decision.

This thread will be used as a platform for discussion on the "Gods Among Us, OU Edition" Minitour that can be found in the OU Forum, currently in its sign up phase as I write out this initial post. The tournament can be found here in the link provided below.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gods-among-us-ou-edition-sign-ups.3544052/

I initially talked to a couple of people on PS about an idea such as this and retests in general. When fleggumfl brought the idea along to myself I figured this would be the most logical way for us to review the meta or get a glimpse of it via a more casual tournament setting. OU Council liked the idea, even toying with the order we'd like to see things introduced to gauge interest and ideas. Personally, I want to review the meta-games with the presence of retests or in the future, the removal of a central figure to the meta, but I absolutely do not enjoy the notion that reviewing the meta-games in this fashion require suspects. Suspects put too much emphasis on something being banned or not banned on the line, which becomes the main focus as opposed to seeing how the meta-game shifts for better or worse. Sort of a rant but eh now you get where I'm coming from or at least I hope so.

Every round I'll bring up the next discussion point, which will be the theoretical unbanned Pokemon in question. A list of the unbanned Pokemon in order of rounds.
Round 1: Genesect Unbanned
Round 2: Mega Mawile Unbanned
Round 3: Blaziken Unabnned
Round 4: Greninja Unbanned
Round 5: Reshiram Unbanned
Round 6: Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S Unbanned
Following Rounds: fleggumfl's choice
So on to the fun stuff, rules :toast:. If I read a post that rots my brain, your post is getting deleted. If a mod reads a post and feels like their brain is rotting, they can delete it. If you post a nitpick, malicious, terrible meme, and or one liner post it's more than likely getting deleted. This is their reasoning, the moderators will not have to provide any sort of reasoning if they delete your posts cause we've already provided you this warning. Provide some meaning to the discussion or points you're trying to get across. It's a general discussion thread for each round with emphasis on the discussion point being the unbanned Pokemon for that round. Keep discussion civil and informed. You're free to talk about replays and matches while using examples of these to bring up relevant points and we encourage you to do so. If for whatever reason you didn't or couldn't join the tour at the sign up stage you're free to try out the idea of playing with the unbanned Pokemon with friends to get an idea as well. Also, refrain from talking about wanting to see things suspected, as in saying "ban Mega Altaria I got 6-0d by it!!!!". I'll be deleting posts as this isn't the point of this discussion thread. PM the OU Council if you have this concern.

With that said enjoy. Until Round 1 starts you're free to have a general discussion.

Genesect: I personally love using Genesect, it provides for much more fun games. Anyway, in a genesect-meta I can see an obvious resurgence of volt-turn, along with an increase in things like megaman, rotom, landot, and all the other obvious team mates on a volt-turn team. An increase in bulky-offence teams in quite likely, as is a further increase to the already large amount of balance teams in order to try and not get impregnated by genesect. I don't see it being too centralising in the meta, as with ORAS came an increase in threatening pokemon with much higher speed tiers. Genesect just isn't fast enough to be the most dominant threat in this specific meta. It actually reminds me of kyurem-b in terms of coverage, not that they have the same coverage but rather in that they both have a very large range of pokemon who take 50%+ from one of their moves on a predicted switch. A threat I can see rising in popularity is bulky dd zard x, a pokemon that can switch in fairly safely to any one of genesect's most common coverage moves, and then set up.

Greninja: I honestly don't think the meta is ready for this to come back yet, we had nothing for it before, and we have nothing for it now with some of the older checks like regirock being even worse in this meta than it was early oras. Porygon does have some merit, which may lead to an influx of tr teams, but aside from that it would just be free to wreak havoc on everything else. It would become a case of 'either use hyper offence with ninja, tr, or forfeit during team preview'. On the bright side, there would be a decrease in tank chomps, which is something I guess.

Not too sure about the about the rest, as I haven't used them extensively.

I have to say, this is actually a really good idea. I remember during the Giratina-O April Fools Suspect Test it actually turned out less broken than people originally thought (it was still was too centralizing tho). With that in mind, there's certainly potential for a lot more threats that have never seen the light of OU to actually be balanced.

Genesect
My problem with Genesect is that while it may not be overpowered in the tradition sense, it's just way too effective at gaining momentum that there's almost no reason not to use it. Add on to the fact that it has great coverage, priority, an amazing ability, decent defenses, and a ton of sets. I can't see this thing being balanced in OU.

Mega Mawile
I feel as if this could be an interesting addition to the metagame. It hasn't see ORAS OU yet and the tier is certainly different than it was back when Mawile was banned. Increase in Mega Scizor, TankChomp, Hippo, and Mega Venusaur might be just enough to keep this God in check. Not sure if it's balanced, but definetely worth testing.

Blaziken
I think this is a really good idea to test and it would not surprise me at all if it's balanced. New Baton Pass clause means it can't pass Swords Dance and there are a lot of good checks to it present in the metagame such as the Lati@s, Azmarill, Starmie, TankChomp, Landorus-T, Hippo, etc. etc. Can't wait to see what this is like.

Nothing to say on Reshiram other than that it might surprise us like Giratina-O and as for the Deoxys probably a good idea to test but no comment as for now.

Last edited:
Blaziken: I've been thinking about this Pokemon since the recent Baton Pass nerf and it seems that the metagame can handle Blaziken a little better now, though it's still a bit difficult. The new Mega Evolutions from ORAS have brought new checks and counters for chicken with Mega Slowbro and defensive Mega Latias being hard counters and with Mega Altaria hard checking it (252+ Atk Poison Jab 2HKOs defensive Mega Altaria after SR damage). TankChomp's rise will also prove troublesome for it and popular XY checks in Azumarill and Talonflame are still prevalent. Dragalge, Gyarados, Defensive Salamence, Tentacruel and regular Slowbro can also do their part in checking the bird.

However, being able to quickpass Speed Boosts to a teammate in a poor matchup will likely push it over the edge. Passing them to something like Manaphy could be devastating, considering what Blaziken's checks and counters are. Week 3 will be interesting.

Greninja: I really, really miss this guy, though it won't be any less broken. Porygon2 is still the sole counter, though it still has a decent enough amount of checks that can play around Greninja. Weavile's recent rise gives it a good revenge killer that can switch into four of its moves (D Pulse, Ice Beam, Extrasensory and Grass Knot namely) without taking much damage, so that's useful. Looking forward to using my favorite Pokemon in OU one last time.

Reshiram: This looks interesting. I'm calling broken, though. Mega Altaria needs to run a Specially Defensive set to even check, to which Reshiram can respond with a Specs Hidden Power Ice/Poison. Specs Focus Blast 2HKOs Chansey after SR + Spikes or after Eviolite is knocked off. Can run so many sets like Life Orb 3 Attacks, Specs, Scarf, Mixed Life Orb Attacker and even defensive sets. Don't think lack of speed or SR weakness will hinder it too much with 100/100/120 bulk.

Genesect: Genesect was so much fun to use when it was last here. Its ability to spam U-turn plus having great coverage makes it difficult to handle, but there are at least ways to deal with it. TankChomp can discourage it from using its physical attacks and can switch into all of its attacks bar Ice Beam, of course. It also beats Shift Gear Genesect handily. As ssjynx mentioned, Mega Charizard X can switch into all of its attacks, as can Heatran and a few others. It'll be fun.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Genesect is one of my favorite mons, and I would love to see it in a meta without Deo (it has never been in a metagame without Deo offense), since I think they are part of the reason it was as broken as it was. But it still has too many sets and too little opportunity cost. I can't really see it being less broken than lando which was very broken

Mawile is interesting, because i think it has a small chance to not be broken, but it's very very small. It's still very powerful and has coverage for all of its would-be counters. But there has been a raise in checks to it so it's possible, but we'll see.

Man blaziken would be so close to balanced if it didn't get Knock off. But it does, and it means Slowbro, Starmie, Lati, Jelli, etc, can't check it well at all. The rise in tank chomp is cool, and I think without knock Off it could legitimately be balanced, but with it it's just not even fair :c

Reshiram is Zard Y with not x4 weakness to rocks, ability to hit tran with fire moves as well as dragon coverage for lati, and doesn't take up a mega. I just can't see it being anything but broken.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Personally, I do think that out of all the candidates introduced in the tour thing, Mawile has probably the best chance at being balanced. I mean, it's a small chance, but a chance nonetheless. going by the tour info, I do think Round 2 will be the big round to watch considering it's got some serious innovations possible. We saw that with the Aegis suspect, (and even the GiraO suspect lol) that things that were once broken maybe worth testing in this new meta.

So personally, I'm VERY excited about this.

it would be tough to analyze each pokemon as the rounds progress as the number of battles would get halved but this thread is quite cool.
reshiram and greninja retests are not required tlly tho.

one more question AM, does the unbanned mon remain unbanned in the next round?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
it would be tough to analyze each pokemon as the rounds progress as the number of battles would get halved but this thread is quite cool.
reshiram and greninja retests are not required tlly tho.

one more question AM, does the unbanned mon remain unbanned in the next round?
No it doesn't remain unbanned in the next round.

...Woah. That sounds terrifying. Time to prep for that. I'm psyched, just because it's such a powerhouse. But I'm almost certain that one will be way too much. As for the others, id say gene is probably the least broken of all of them, followed by mega mawile and/or the deos. However, I can't see the meta being any fun w/ both gene and the deos present. Both deo forms are insanely good at getting spikes down, and w/ the switches that gene forces/ the momentum it creates, the opponent will be able to seriously whittle it's opponents w/ entry hazard damage, open it the way for something else to sweep, basically uninhibited. Basically, I think one or the other would be fine in the meta, just not both. Don't even get me started on greninja. That thing is just stupid. I loved it so much, and then it got gunk shot. After that, it was basically past the point of no return, imo. Reshiram just has stupid power w/ an incredible typing. It's way bulky, and actually not that slow. Not fast, but not that slow either. And it destroys venu through thick fat because of turboblaze (that's kind of a duh though). It's got good coverage, super powerful stabs, and just basically too much going for it.

Honestly, I can't see mawile being anywhere near balanced. Most people seem to disagree, but it's wallbreaking power is just absurd. And it had a surprising number of really effective sets, most notably subpunch and swords dance, however both of the two had several variations. Sucker punch isn't super reliable, but it is sure powerful. Idk, it just feels like too much.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mass theorymon time :

Genesect: It's been a long time since I've used this thing, but I remember it being an obscene momentum machine which provided amazing support to offensive mons by checking a variety of threats and being an excellent offensive pivot. This thing could theoretically be good for the metagame in a centralising GSC Snorlax kind of way since it checks huge threats like MAltaria and Fairies in general, as well as giving us a very good scarfer which OU lacks (Lando-T is the closest there is to a good scarfer atm and I personally find it mediocre).
However, its incredible versatility and godly coverage can easily put this thing over the edge, its only real counter is Hetaran who is easily worn down, literally everything else gets screwed by coverage bar Rotom-H which is even easier to wear down. Most people expect it to be choiced so play around it accordingly only to get bodied by its coverage (I used to run Assault Vest back in the day which caught a lot of people off-guard)
It's a very mindless and centralising Pokemon, and once the joy of trying this thing out again dies down, people are probably going to get sick of its presence very quickly.

Mega Mawile: I guess the popularity of Tankchomp, Hippowdon and Bulky Talonflame are annoying for it, but it's still a completely ridiculous threat with 2 amazing sets, SD is stupidly difficult to switch into, just to give you an idea it's likely to OHKO standard Hippowdon at +2 which is just lol, and Subpunch can really screw over WoW users like Talonflame and Heatran. It also checks Pokemon that have gained in popularity since it got banned, namely Clefable, Weavile, Torn-T, Alakazam, so in many ways the metagame is even kinder to it now than ever.
I remember this thing being way better in practice than in theory, mostly because the amount of switchin opportunities it got was way too high compared to the things that could actually switch into it in return, and also because almost all counters to SD just lost to SubPunch and vice-versa.
So yeah prepare to see sets like WoW Heatran and WoW+Flare Blitz Phys Def Talonflame because Mawile is going to be brutal and will require extra preparation.

Blaziken: This thing is certainly more manageable than back when it was banned. In early XY, HO was really the only playstyle used, and it was a playstyle Blaziken absolutely demolished, the only answers to it on there being Talonflame and Azumarill. But now, people are using more balanced teams which, to paraphrase the OU council, did not work in that metagame, with stuff like Hippowdon, Slowbro, Altaria and bulkier Talonflame variants (back then all everyone used was Band which died super fast) being more popular.
But still, this thing is a truly deadly and and mindless sweeper. Because it can run an Adamant nature and has high BP STABs, it hits really hard after a boost : for instance, at +2 it has a good chance to OHKO standard Hippowdon with HJK. While its bulk isn't stellar, it can still find a handful of opportunities to set up SDs thanks to the large number of switches it forces vs bulky Grass- and Steel- types, and has the typing to set up on popular Pokemon like Bisharp, Scizor, and Weavile. I think this thing will be pretty devastating and will make a handful of Pokemon nigh-unusable.

Greninja: Has only gotten better since early ORAS, the only common answers to the standard Gunk Shot / Low Kick / Ice Beam / Dark Pulse are like, Klefki Chansey and SpD Sableye and that's it. Singlehandedly and effortlessly demolishes standard balance cores, has the speed tier to outpace most major threats besides the 4 speedster megas, Talon and Weavile, the latter of which loses 1v1 even if it carries Low Kick since that does not OHKO from full.
Not much to say about Greninja besides the fact that it is, by all accounts, completely and utterly broken, even more so than when it was suspected.

Reshiram: This is probably the most broken of the lot honestly, and I'm not talking about Specs or Scarf, I'm talking about a bulky set of Blue Flare / Draco Meteor / WoW / Roost, which not only has the firepower to still be an effective attacker, but completely insane bulk combined with Will-O-Wisp and an amazing typing, acting as a WoW spreader as well as a general answer to Electric- and Steel-types. It's basically bulky XZard except a lot better since it doesn't take up a Mega slot, has much higher special bulk, can run Leftovers, has access to 2 130 BP STABs with no drawbacks besides a SpA drop from Draco Meteor, and can run its dual STABs without being stopped cold by Heatran thanks to Turboblaze (in fact, its STABs are only resisted by Azumarill and Diancie, the former of which is WoW fodder, and the latter of which usually runs a -SpD nature and thus is 2HKOed by Blue Flare after SR with little SpA investement).
I mean, even without even any bulk investment it actually walls LO Thundurus lol. This means it can run something like 248 HP / 68 SpA / 188 Speed with a Modest nature, and still hit like a goddamn truck (can 2HKO standard SpD Heatran after SR with Blue Flare just to give you an idea) while speed creeping Bisharp and being super bulky.
Yeah it's weak to SR, but honestly this thing is so good it can mostly do its job even when SR are up. Reshiram probably won't even be close to balanced given its combination of bulk, power, and coverage.

Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S: Deo-D will probably be slightly easier to handle than it used to be because of the presence of good Magic Bouncers and how common Starmie is. However, it's still a ridiculous boon for offensive teams whose ability to guarantee SR and at least one layer of spikes can force tons of pressure on most teams when given support from something like Weavile or Bisharp. It can also act as a very reliable, very bulky hazard stacker for more defensive teams.
Deo-S on the other hand kinda suffers from the ubiquity of Scizor, SpD Skarm, Clefable, and Fairies in general, however it's still a completely insane revenge killer, one that isn't limited by Scarf and has access to very good coverage and mixed offensive capabilities.
Don't think these guys will be too much to handle per se, but they won't be fun to play against, and their presence will probably make for a staler and less enjoable metagame.

Last edited:
Surprise I made a decision.
Haha! Since I wanted this I'll have to give my two cents right?

Genesect: I know what this guy does and he's damn good at grabbing momentum with U-turn and forcing switches. It's one of those mons that you really enjoy using but hate faceing. It brings excellent support for any offensive team with its coverage moves. Need something that checks mega alt after a DD, or Mgros. Between its waste movepool, good mixed offencive stats and large amount of sets it can run I cannot see how the meta have changed enough for it to make a comeback sadly.

Blaziken: Even with the new baton pass clause I don't think Blaziken will find itself at home in the meta. Sure it cannot pass both speed and atk but it can start wreaking hawok with an adamant nature and before it's finished of it can pass its speed to something else for the final strike. The meta have shifted a bit from HO that made Blaziken so good, but I still think Blaziken can sweep teams with adamant nature when the opposing team are weakened enough.
I hope I get the chance to try this out and see for myself.

Greninja: I don't think that too much have changed for greninja, it's the same bully vs balanced and offensive teams as before and their's not much besides P2 and Chansey to counter it.

Reshiram: Holy this guy in OU? This is going to be, interesting so to say at least. Honestly don't believe that it will drop as its cheer power and bulk makes it a complete monster. Unlike cubie this guy have more power behind its attacks and "better" stab combo.

Deoxys-D: I would have hoped that they got tested separetly but ohwell. Deo-D still lays down tons of hazards for offensive teams to put even more pressure on balanced and bulky teams. Magic bounce users are even more common then before and it can be a layability vs Msableye if it forgoes skillswap but I don't think it should come back. It's hazard stacking abilities are still top notch.

Deoxys-S: The only revenge killer that don't need a scarf in order to revenge kill stuff. I honestly believe that Deo-s can be healthy for the meta. Baton pass are "dead" so its dual screen set won't be popular, LO revenge killer or cleaner might be its best role as it checks a lot of the common cleaners. The suicide lead are probably still good but it might not be as good as before. Yes it have lika a ton of different sets to run but I don't think that it will push it over the edge.

That's disappointing, since it means the round won't be a fair examination of Blaziken's place in the metagame—there's little reason to use normal Blaziken (which is significantly more likely to be balanced in OU given its worse starting speed tier and bulk) when you can get a free boost to every one of its stats except HP for only the price of your Mega slot. Blazikenite should be optioned for a later round, so if Blaziken on its own is enough to break OU then it can be omitted.

I've been waiting for smogon to do more stuff like this. It keeps OU interesting and new but not necessarily better... It is fun to smash ppl with overpowered mons. All of the mons deserved to be banned imo.

Gene has been one of my favorite mons to use since bw2. It can pull off any set very well and it is always hard to play around. Cb, scarf, ebelt/lo, sash lead, gear shift, rp... Doesn't matter gene fits any role.

LO Deo-S was a monster revenge killer that also had a lot of support sets like screens. Its kinda like a greninja that it's a super fast special attacker that has good coverage and also could set up spikes if it wanted.

Deo-d wouldn't be that bad but I'm not sure... If was never over the top broken like the others because it was a support mon. It made the meta really stale. Sabeleye might make it more managable, but that's still centralizing.

Ya all of the ppl saying blaze would be balanced is ridiculous. Its still gonna be hella broken lol. Amazing mixed offenses, SD and speed boost is over the top. And it has a mega which isn't as strong as LO but still powerful. Mega is less reliant on protect though since its faster.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 264-311 (85.9 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
Lol

Ninja is still gonna be broken. The game hasn't released any new stuff that would hamper its effectiveness. Weavile forces it out but that's 1 mon that isn't that splashable so idk

Mawile might be ok for the meta? Its kinda slow and weak to grounds and is a Weavile check. This one will be interesting for sure.

Reshiram is like megaless zard y without a 4x sr weakness that has STAB draco meteor... This round is gonna be fun lol.

The last round could be cool. All of the mons left are pretty damn strong. Landorus is easily the weakest of the bunch. Mega Khan could be interesting however. It has gained a lot of checks and maybe even a full counter in mega sabeleye but it's still gonna be very strong. Mega luke also gained a few checks like mega lop but I'm pretty sure the NP set with STABs+ vacuum wave is still gonna wreck even more than before since aegi is gone.

Last edited:
Genesect is going to be the most interesting one to me for a few reasons. First the vote was close, so that by itself makes it seem more reasonable as an OU mon. Also, Gene has never gotten the chance to exist in a "healthy" OU. Every other time it has been in OU some unhealthy element has been there to magnify its unhealthy traits. In BW, Gene was arguably most effective on Sun teams (see Lavos Sun) and there's a decent portion of people who feel Sun was very much unhealthy. In early XY, the Deos and all the other HO stuff that was kicking around creating a more favorable Gene environment. Gene's momentum was arguably most useful on hazard stacking teams and with the absence of the Deos those archetypes seem more manageable to say the least. I guess a lot of the comments you hear about Genesect during its time in the meta could also apply to XY Thundurus, and Thundy doesn't look nearly as broken now compared to early to mid XY. So yeah I think Gene at least deserves a chance, if only because it seems like it exacerbates broken traits of other mons more than it creates broken / uncompetitive elements itself imo.

AM

LCPL Champion
That's disappointing, since it means the round won't be a fair examination of Blaziken's place in the metagame—there's little reason to use normal Blaziken (which is significantly more likely to be balanced in OU given its worse starting speed tier and bulk) when you can get a free boost to every one of its stats except HP for only the price of your Mega slot. Blazikenite should be optioned for a later round, so if Blaziken on its own is enough to break OU then it can be omitted.
not exactly. People are going to test mega blaziken for the sake of testing it out but there are going to be a lot of teams that will just use life orb blaziken + another mega because you have the opportunity to not only use a strong mega like mega altaria but also a powerhouse in blaziken who arguably will be the strongest most centralizing non mega within the round.

I think this tournament should be hosted in Bo3 instead of Bo1 to give an insight on how the metagame could look with one of these powerhouses unbanned. I know that could be a bit difficult with teambuilding but I don't think anyone here can give his opinion on a new metagame when he only played a single game.

I also don't really get why Greninja is retested here. It was banned a few months and was doubtless broken and since then the metagame really didn't change a lot (the only change since then was the bann of Landorus-I and that shouldn't influence Greninja too much).

I'm looking forward to the unbanns of the 2 Deoxys, Genesect, Reshiram and Blaziken since don't think they'll be that broken as they were since they're banned and the metagame was mixed up a lot due to other banns since their banns.

My predictions on every one of them:
2 Deoxys forms: I don't think they'll be very broken but I think they'll make the metagame very offense and also worse then the metagame is rn so I don't think they should be unbanned.
Genesect: I think it won't be broken either but it will definetely be a top tier threat giving something back to the metagame. I think an unbann could be a good thing.
Reshiram: I don't have an opinion on this rn and we'll have to look until its unbann. I don't think it'll be broken tho.
Blaziken: Shouldn't be that broken either since there are a lot of checks and counters such as Talonflame, Slowbro, Landorus-Therian, Hippowdon, Bulky Chomp, Azumarill etc. but it will be still be a very good 'mon.

AM

LCPL Champion
I think this tournament should be hosted in Bo3 instead of Bo1 to give an insight on how the metagame could look with one of these powerhouses unbanned. I know that could be a bit difficult with teambuilding but I don't think anyone here can give his opinion on a new metagame when he only played a single game.

I also don't really get why Greninja is retested here. It was banned a few months and was doubtless broken and since then the metagame really didn't change a lot (the only change since then was the bann of Landorus-I and that shouldn't influence Greninja too much).

I'm looking forward to the unbanns of the 2 Deoxys, Genesect, Reshiram and Blaziken since don't think they'll be that broken as they were since they're banned and the metagame was mixed up a lot due to other banns since their banns.

My predictions on every one of them:
2 Deoxys forms: I don't think they'll be very broken but I think they'll make the metagame very offense and also worse then the metagame is rn so I don't think they should be unbanned.
Genesect: I think it won't be broken either but it will definetely be a top tier threat giving something back to the metagame. I think an unbann could be a good thing.
Reshiram: I don't have an opinion on this rn and we'll have to look until its unbann. I don't think it'll be broken tho.
Blaziken: Shouldn't be that broken either since there are a lot of checks and counters such as Talonflame, Slowbro, Landorus-Therian, Hippowdon, Bulky Chomp, Azumarill etc. but it will be still be a very good 'mon.
Up to fleggumfl bo3 that is

People are going to test mega blaziken for the sake of testing it out but there are going to be a lot of teams that will just use life orb blaziken + another mega because you have the opportunity to not only use a strong mega like mega altaria but also a powerhouse in blaziken who arguably will be the strongest most centralizing non mega within the round.
Maybe. I just dislike the fact it's effectively changing two variables at once—it makes it hard to tease out (for example) whether Blaziken itself is broken or the problem is just Mega Blaziken. (The same could arguably be true of the Deoxys forms… on the one hand they're both subject to Species Clause, but I can't help but feel like the two Deoxys forms serve very different roles whereas Mega Blaziken is in every way a better Blaziken.)

e: thanks for eating an emptyquote, forum software, really useful feature you got there

p2

Banned deucer.
I'd be perfectly fine with BO3. If it allows for a better understanding of the meta with certain Pokemon unbanned, then I don't see why not. If the general opinion is BO3 instead of BO1, I'll easily make it BO3. I'm just hoping 15 more people can sign up so I can finally get this tour started.

Maybe. I just dislike the fact it's effectively changing two variables at once—it makes it hard to tease out (for example) whether Blaziken itself is broken or the problem is just Mega Blaziken. (The same could arguably be true of the Deoxys forms… on the one hand they're both subject to Species Clause, but I can't help but feel like the two Deoxys forms serve very different roles whereas Mega Blaziken is in every way a better Blaziken.)
The thing is that the Blaziken and Mega Blaziken actually serve kinda different roles. Normal LO Blaze Chicken actually hits harder than its mega forme, while being slower and less bulky. Mega Blaze otoh actually lives some weak SE hits and some other weak shit which is cool, while also having a speed tier that lets it outspeed shit like scarf landot which is kinda cool. Just food for thought.

252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 265-312 (77.7 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 252-297 (73.9 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 276-326 (91.3 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 248-294 (82.1 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 364-430 (114.1 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The thing is that the Blaziken and Mega Blaziken actually serve kinda different roles. Normal LO Blaze Chicken actually hits harder than its mega forme, while being slower and less bulky. Mega Blaze otoh actually lives some weak SE hits and some other weak shit which is cool, while also having a speed tier that lets it outspeed shit like scarf landot which is kinda cool. Just food for thought.
Hitting a little bit harder versus surviving the odd coverage/uninvested hit isn't really comparable to "bulky lead"-D versus "revenge killer"-S, but I see your point. I still think they're similar enough to interfere with each other in the deciison-making process, but I'm not winning much support here so I'll drop it.

Hoo boy...

Genesect/Greninja/Deoxys-S - I'm grouping these three together because I believe the reasons they were all banned were largely the same: being nigh uncounterable from coverage and diverse movepools, amazing speed tiers (ScarfSect at any rate), and the zero opportunity cost to use from not being a mega and being highly splashable. I highly doubt they will seem balanced at all considering what amazing momentum grabbers and revenge killers they all were.

Mega Mawile - I dare say this thing is more tolerable in the current meta thanks to some particularly good defensive Fire types, and its speed tier is still horrible, and Sucker Punch being abuseable. Still, its ridiculous power and damn good defensive typing plus Intimidate forcing switches may prove to be just too much damage to be considered balanced. This one could go either way in my eyes.

Blaziken - I'm actually somewhat optimistic in saying that I think that Blaziken has a pretty decent chance of being reintroduced into OU. As was said, certain megas like Altaria and Slowbro are natural checks and there are still plenty of faster viable scarf users with SE STAB like Keldeo, Latios, etc. Mega Blaziken might actually be LESS broken since you wouldn't be able to pair it with another mega for offensive sweepers. You know what an amazing partner it'd make with Stored Power Mega Latias with some speed boosts? Or Mega Garchomp? Or Mega Metagross that can run 4 attacks? At least Mega Blaziken can't hold an item or make pairs like that.

Reshiram - A bulkier and stronger Charizard X with fewer counters from Turboblaze, access to items and doesn't take up a megaslot? Charizard X is already S class and Reshiram practically makes it obsolete! It will be a funny tournament to behold but there is no way this thing is sticking around.

Deoxys-D - While Aegislash is gone now, Deo-D does instead get Mega Sableye as a spinblocking partner now, which can be either better or worse depending on how you look at it. But a defensive Ghost with Magic Bounce and Recover? This may just be too abusable.

I personally feel like this tournament has great intent, but will turn into overcentralization. People will start running teams that reflect the state of an overcentralized metagame, with teams consisting of Uber Pokemon, its checks, and checks to its checks. While the tournament is a great idea, participants may get caught up in the hype and use only the specific team archetype mentioned above, in a rush to use it. While this may not be a bad thing, this tournament is a bad indicator for whether a mon is broken or not because of the fact that there is not enough exposure and time to adapt till the next round.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)