Gods Among Us, OU Edition - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
huh?
Lando-T and Garchomp get bodied by HP Ice (which is a pretty decent option, and Blaziken doesn't even need HP Ice to beat both versions of Lando as Scarf takes like 60% even at -1 and +1 Flare Blitz OHKOs defensive variants after Rocks half the time), Mega Venusaur and Mega Sableye, the ladder can do literally nothing back, get OHKOed by +2 Flare Blitz, Quagsire is 2HKOed by High Jump Kick and Starmie loses to Knock Off (well +2 Flare Blitz just OHKOs anyways). Dragonite is only a check if it's at full health, and even Mega Altaria is just OHKOed after rocks (god). Blaziken is really ridiculous tbh, I can't see it being healthy at all, as a lot of the supposed checks in reality just get absolutely murdered by every set.

e: ninja'd ;_;
Yeah, there actually isn't any counters to the following set:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch / Knock Off

Only Mega Slowbro (or Slowbro with some Sp.Atk investment) Scarf Lando-T (though -1 Knock Off + Flare Blitz KOs), or Scarf Lati@s (if no knock off) are actual genuine counters. Otherwise, it's just checks! No way this should be seen in OU, even with Talonflame and Azu in the tier.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Er.... noo:

252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 230-270 (58.3 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 208-247 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(mega bro does one shot it with scald)

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 296-351 (75.1 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Normal Bro needs rocks to do so.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 305-360 (79.8 - 94.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 426-503 (101.4 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 296-350 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (multiscale broken)

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 330-393 (90.6 - 107.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 303-356 (93.8 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Altaria: 246-289 (69.4 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Can't OHKO Blaze.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 398-468 (130.9 - 153.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
All of those calcs are best-case scenarios, as they're all calced after Swords Dance. And the Thunder Punch one on Slowbro is just odd. Thunder Punch AND Swords Dance on the same set? C'mon. Also, not all Blaziken run Swords Dance, as Protect is an absolute necessity, and Baton Pass gives SD some mean competition. Also, when Blaziken is first sent out, it's most likely going to use Protect, as otherwise it's shit turn one, giving those Pokemon relatively safe switches. Swords Dance requires good prediction or good luck if you can catch a choice locked Pokemon that cannot OHKO Blaziken. And even if Swords Dance is up, Blaziken is susceptible to common priority. Talonflame OHKOs it, and Azumarill and Dragonite can hit extremely hard with Aqua Jet and Extreme Speed respectively. Choice Banded Azumarill will always OHKO with Aqua Jet. Finally, while Thundurus-I dies to Flare Blitz, its Prankster Thunder Wave completely cripples Blaziken. So while those calcs look good on paper, assuming Swords Dance is up is a rather large assumption.

I honestly think that if we ban SD on blaziken then it coulld at least be tested to be back in ou, Without a SD boast blaziken will have a pretty big set of problems against things like hippo balanced and it cant just break through things like tank chomp anymore.... its interesting to think about

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I honestly think that if we ban SD on blaziken then it coulld at least be tested to be back in ou, Without a SD boast blaziken will have a pretty big set of problems against things like hippo balanced and it cant just break through things like tank chomp anymore.... its interesting to think about
That's not gonna happen. It would open the floodgates for shit like, "Oh, you can use Mewtwo in OU, but only if you use Physical move and don't Mega Evolve." Or "Oh, you can use Aegislah, but no King's Shield."

Yeah, there actually isn't any counters to the following set:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch / Knock Off

Only Mega Slowbro (or Slowbro with some Sp.Atk investment) Scarf Lando-T (though -1 Knock Off + Flare Blitz KOs), or Scarf Lati@s (if no knock off) are actual genuine counters. Otherwise, it's just checks! No way this should be seen in OU, even with Talonflame and Azu in the tier.
Forgoing Protect is extremely risky, as it makes you susceptible to ANY Scarfed Pokemon with over 80 Speed.
You seem to have forgotten Dragonite, who would be Blaziken's most reliable counter.

Last edited:
That's not gonna happen. It would open the floodgates for shit like, "Oh, you can use Mewtwo in OU, but only if you use Physical move and don't Mega Evolve." Or "Oh, you can use Aegislah, but no King's Shield."
actually aegi coming back without king shield was considered but it was deemed still to centralizing for ou.....your other comparison is just stupid

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
Forgoing Protect is extremely risky, as it makes you susceptible to ANY Scarfed Pokemon with over 80 Speed.
You seem to have forgotten Dragonite, who would be Blaziken's most reliable counter.
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Blaziken: 197-232 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I didn't - at +2, it OHKO's after rocks, while E-speed doesn't.

A counter is something that can come in and then win 1 on 1, not something that just beats it 1 on 1.

Why is Protect essential? I bring Blaziken in on a Scarf Tar's Pursuit or any of the myriad of things that can't do anything to me, set up an SD, and go to town.

Scarfers fear the Knock Off on the switch, so can only revenge it. Like I said before, there's a lot of checks, but counters.... just Mega Bro and Azu (I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopedic shoes).

Yes it hates priority, but Azu still takes massive damage from T-Punch, so its a shaky counter; while the rest are just checks. And you can switch out, cos it isn't weak to rocks.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I know what a Counter is.
Blaziken must set up Swords Dance to 2HKO Dragonite. Dragonite OHKOs with Outrage.
Here are a list of scenarios:
Blaziken is sent out, Dragonite switches in to a Swords Dance. Dragonite OHKOs with Outrage or 2HKOs with Extreme Speed (either way, you take one hit and KO back).
Dragonite switches into a High Jump Kick. A second move cannot finish off Dragonite.
Dragonite switches into Flare Blitz and gets Burned. Blaziken has a chance to win, but still take ~80% from Outrage and dies from 2 Life Orb attacks, ending in a double KO.
Dragonite switches into Thunder Punch. Blaziken better hope for Para hax.
Dragonite switches in with Stealth Rocks up on a Swords Dance. Blaziken has a 50/50 chance to OHKO with HJK (45% due to the law of compound probability, since 50%*HJK's 90% accuracy). Sorry. Bad calc. Blaziken wins this one 90% of the time.

So Dragonite IS a counter provided SR isn't up.

No, it wasn't. The ban proposal wasn't ban Aegislash + King's Shield, it was ban King Shield.
haunter was looking for people's opinions on aegi without king shield and was open to a complex ban (dont have the thread link rn but its on the suspect thread)

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
That's only assuming the Scarf user switches directly into Blaziken, which is risky since there's no guarantee that Blaziken will set up Swords Dance every time it sets in. One wrong switch into a powerful STAB or coverage move and your Scarfer is history. On the flipside, if you delay just one turn, Blaziken gets to +2 Spe and gets nearly impossible to outrun. Protect is a great tool, but it's far from mandatory, and the extra coverage can be far more important against some teams (mainly slower defensive and balanced teams).

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 270-320 (83.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 296-350 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

If Dragonite has taken even the slightest bit of damage to break Multiscale, it's in danger of a OHKO from Blaziken's High Jump Kick (especially if Blaziken is Adamant). It can switch into Blaziken pretty nicely if you can keep it perfectly healthy and keep Stealth Rock off the field, but that's far from guaranteed.

actually aegi coming back without king shield was considered but it was deemed still to centralizing for ou.....your other comparison is just stupid
That's not exactly true. The reason we decided not to go after King's Shield instead of Aegislash itself is because going after King's Shield would just be a convenient way to neuter Aegislash to keep it OU, which is a mindset we actively try to avoid. The consensus was that King's Shield wasn't necessarily a broken move but that Aegislash itself was the problem, so Aegislash was the one we put up for a suspect. It was actually pretty widely predicted that Aegislash wouldn't be nearly as centralizing without King's Shield seeing as how its ability to screw over some of its checks with an Atk drop was a huge reason why it was so powerful. Even so, whether or not Aegislash would be centralizing without King's Shield had nothing to do with the decision because we never actually tested non-King's Shield Aegislash, making accurate judgments about its impact literally impossible.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
I know what a Counter is.
Blaziken must set up Swords Dance to 2HKO Dragonite. Dragonite OHKOs with Outrage.
Here are a list of scenarios:
Blaziken is sent out, Dragonite switches in to a Swords Dance. Dragonite OHKOs with Outrage or 2HKOs with Extreme Speed (either way, you take one hit and KO back).
Dragonite switches into a High Jump Kick. A second move cannot finish off Dragonite.
Dragonite switches into Flare Blitz and gets Burned. Blaziken has a chance to win, but still take ~80% from Outrage and dies from 2 Life Orb attacks, ending in a double KO.
Dragonite switches into Thunder Punch. Blaziken better hope for Para hax.
Dragonite switches in with Stealth Rocks up on a Swords Dance. Blaziken has a 50/50 chance to OHKO with HJK (45% due to the law of compound probability, since 50%*HJK's 90% accuracy). Sorry. Bad calc. Blaziken wins this one 90% of the time.

So Dragonite IS a counter provided SR isn't up.
Dude, check your definition of a counter. Normally, SR is assumed to be up (standard battle conditions). Like Agent Gibbs says, any damage of any kind, and Dragonite is at risk, while being outsped and unable to OHKO with outrage, as it'll already be KO'd. Dragonite is a pretty sweet check, as it can KO once Blaze has taken a few LO hits or if rocks aren't up, but it's definitely not a counter.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I clearly said that Dragonite's a counter only if Stealth Rock is not up. The biggest Blaziken Counter is Slowbro, as it can tank its hits and cripple it with Thunder Wave. Let's also not forget that High Jump Kick, Blaziken's most powerful move, can be used against him in the form of Protect or Ghost types, so that risk cannot be ignored.

Blaziken's main issue is that it kills itself just about as fast as it kills other Pokemon. I'm rather neutral as to whether Blaziken should remain Uber or fall back to OU, but I feel like everyone is looking at this very one-sidedly and is forgetting about Blaziken's major drawbacks.

Also, though Blaziken's hard counters are limited, it has plenty of solid checks. For comparison, Hydreigon had no true counters in BW OU, but had plenty of checks to keep it balanced in OU, which is why I think Blaziken is very worthy of a retest.

It's also far from guaranteed that Blaziken can safely get up a Swords Dance.
It's also not guaranteed that Mawile will get an SD up, but you play your mons right (I made a funny) and you don't have to worry too much about switch ins. Much like before, Blaziken is a late game cleaner capable of very easily picking off the rest of the team after a small amount of damage in some cases. Now, no, Blaziken can't beat everything you named at once with one SD up and STAB but there are 5 other mons that have whittled those things down so it can if not outright took it out.

With that said, much like Ninja it carries what it needs to. Nite is a problem, got a slot for HP ice. Bro is a problem? Knock off. Etc. You get the point.

I also want to add that Hydreigon doesn't have Speed Boost and Nasty Plot.

Last edited:
So anyone sorta looking forward to Reshiram? The first to battles didnt show much but I mean its a different thing compared to the others tested so far (even if it still has godly STABs...)

Despite winning both my battles not using reshiram... its def without question broken,it can run some many sets and has a INSANE movepool power bulk typing etc(even roost if you're not running choice).... this aint going ou next

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok, just saw some Greninja matches, and I could proudly say that teh frog should remained banned, too powerful with LO + Protean, combined with it's nice movepool. Too centralizing with minimal counters.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
While I don't think Darkrai would be broken if it was let into OU without Dark Void, I'm against a test for it because it would set a very bad precedent. Dark Void isn't necessarily broken like it is in Doubles because its most important trait (being a spread move) doesn't matter in Singles, plus Smeargle cannot abuse it and usually just wants Spore to avoid the miss chance. Dark Void is only broken on Darkrai because Darkrai is extremely fast, letting it sleep whatever the hell it wants to early game and proceeding to get a free turn of set-up. If something really fucking fast got Spore we'd probably ban the Mon instead of Spore, since consistent Sleep moves are only really broken on fast things.

Darkrai is still broken af without dark void lol. It has a solid 125 base speed, big SpA, and the best offensive typing in the game. 70/90/90 isn't exactly that frail for an offensive pokemon. Oh yea and its not a mega either.

Also it has a massive movepool with some useful moves like BoltBeam, Sludge Bomb, Taunt, Thunderwave, even Hypnosis if u still want to sleep stuff lol.

Not having a real ability kinda sucks though.

Dark Void is more the cherry on top that makes Darkrai absolute terror to face than the tool that makes it broken. Like Exeggutive said Darkrai also has that ridiculous high speed, meaning it speed ties with Weavile and the only common OU mons that outspeed it are Talonflame, Mega Lopunny, Mega Manectric and Mega Alakazam. Otherwise you need scarf or priority to hit it first and that's pretty ridiculous when considering it's other pros. Including it's great special attack in conjunction with Nasty Plot helps to clean up shit like nobody's business that makes even it's fellow speedsters green with envy, sure Talon and Weavile have Swords Dance but they both have their share of flaws including a SR weakness which makes hazard removal mandatory to use them effectively, and substitute is still a fantastic option that practically lets it cripple offensive teams by itself.

Although I will say that while Dark is a great offensive typing I would not say it's the best, at least not for a special attacker as it can't abuse knock off and dark pulse is kinda tame in comparison (beside that potential evil flinch that can give Darkrai another free turn to wreck shit). And what I think a lot people gloss over is it's surprisingly good movepool, it's practically a special attacker's wet dream and it gets perfect coverage in 3 moves and the boltbeam coverage if you want to beat specific threats like grounds more efficiently, status moves like Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave, (and Hypnosis I guess xD), plus Taunt and Trick to annoy stall which should be the best playstyle against Darkrai without Dark Void but considering that Stall already have their hands full with Hoopa and co they definitely would not like yet another monster that wrecks every playstyle into OU.

Basically even without Dark Void Darkrai still has no place in OU and would most definitely be a over-centralizing figure if it were ever to enter OU. It's just a flawless offensive behemoth and beside the virtue of it's typing and not so high defensive stats are so overshadowed by it's pros I'm almost puzzled why people believe it's broken just because of one move.

Last edited:
I really wish the tournament actually you know... had people make more an effort to use the suspects... To be honest this is starting to feel a lot like UU with the Victini test. I can't exactly see whether the reintroduction has improved the tier or made it worse. Since I may end up seeing the same run of the mill team already present in the metagame doing well against a suspect, but not exactly representative enough, and in which case they may not look broken. More usage would have been nice I think at least in showing that difference of before and after.

I think this just brings out the necessity for a learning curve, since good teams don't just magically pop out.

Kudos to the people who obviously went out of their way to use the suspect in their games though! But yeah I don't think the tournament format, as nice of an ideas as it is, necessarily generates enough data to examine things -- unless they're obviously outright broken that you just start laughing (i.e. Reshiram).

I mean the quality of games is generally a given but what should be of interest really is using the suspects, that is what differentiates it from other tournaments after all.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Kudos to the people who obviously went out of their way to use the suspect in their games though! But yeah I don't think the tournament format, as nice of an ideas as it is, necessarily generates enough data to examine things -- unless they're obviously outright broken that you just start laughing (i.e. Reshiram).
Agreed, though if the tournament was something else that kept a lot of people each round (like, say, swiss), you probably would get much more data out of it.

More replays would be nice as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)