Gods Among Us, OU Edition - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After browsing through most of the replays that have been posted thus far (prior to my own tourney match), at the very least it seems like if the question was "is there any legitimacy in retesting Genesect", the answer right now is yes. Whether it ends up being too good or not is a question for a later time, but the teams that players are bringing adhere fairly closely with our current metagame trends, and for the few matches where teams were made to clearly counter-team Genesect, they weren't using obscure LU/NU mons or odd sets, etc. to do so. I do enjoy using and facing Genesect, so feel free to call me biased, but as objectively as I can look at what this tournament has produced so far, Genesect has simply forced players to play intelligently and build accordingly. I would say that the issue of its movepool and versatility, while definitely relevant, aren't quite as restrictive in a match as they're made out to be. What I will concede, though, is that in most of the matches that have been posted I've noticed Genesect easily coming in and out of play on slower, weakened Pokemon and so in that sense it does extremely well to wear teams down as opposed to sweep them outright. I definitely agree with a point made earlier that its introduction would/has increased the prevalence of VoltTurn cores, but I'm not fully convinced this is a bad (or good) thing yet given the really small sample size of matches, and I think it's a stretch to say that Manectric/Raikou + Lando-T pairings haven't existed before or would rapidly skyrocket in usage just because of the presence of one Pokemon. Just some initial thoughts on the replays so far, maybe after tomorrow I'll have a better idea of how it truly performs.

Also when did splashable become the new smogon buzzword .__.

Kay, I think I should talk a little bit about Genesect, cuz i used it a lot when it was allowed and was really happy that it was available in round 1 and used it in all 3 games. Now, I know that its most popular set was scarf, but i never liked it cuz it could not revenge +1 zard-x. i will mainly talk about the rock polish set. Its typing allows it to set up on a lot of pokemon (fairies as they can't risk a potential iron head, latis especially if they have dracoed, scizor etc.). It has got an immense movepool. Fire, Ice, Electric coverage is fantastic. Just take care of Heatran and other fire types and you are good to go. And, its not that tough to do so given the number of water types and Heatran's lack of recovery and hazards. I used Giga drain instead of Thunderbolt as it still hits water types and negates LO recoil and yeah it came in handy. However, as much as i love using this monster, I really don't think it has any place in OU. It has 124756978458522409 sets and can be using any one of those and there is one universal counter Heatran. Rock Polish, shift gear, cb, physical scarf, special scarf and a lot of move combos possible. This thing is not like mega mawile having huge power (hehehe) but it is a momentum machine that can run a lot of sets. Just keep it outta OU.

Kay, I think I should talk a little bit about Genesect, cuz i used it a lot when it was allowed and was really happy that it was available in round 1 and used it in all 3 games. Now, I know that its most popular set was scarf, but i never liked it cuz it could not revenge +1 zard-x. i will mainly talk about the rock polish set. Its typing allows it to set up on a lot of pokemon (fairies as they can't risk a potential iron head, latis especially if they have dracoed, scizor etc.). It has got an immense movepool. Fire, Ice, Electric coverage is fantastic. Just take care of Heatran and other fire types and you are good to go. And, its not that tough to do so given the number of water types and Heatran's lack of recovery and hazards. I used Giga drain instead of Thunderbolt as it still hits water types and negates LO recoil and yeah it came in handy. However, as much as i love using this monster, I really don't think it has any place in OU. It has 124756978458522409 sets and can be using any one of those and there is one universal counter Heatran. Rock Polish, shift gear, cb, physical scarf, special scarf and a lot of move combos possible. This thing is not like mega mawile having huge power (hehehe) but it is a momentum machine that can run a lot of sets. Just keep it outta OU.
You make some valid points that I agree with, but a couple of them seem a little overstated.

First, I would say that Genesect does have good typing but only "good enough" bulk; it's purpose isn't to actually come in and sponge hits but rather act as a hit-and-runner. Sure, maybe it can take a LO Draco Meteor but only once, and at what cost? Now it has to play very conservatively (especially with u-turn) the rest of the match against any of OU's common rocky helmet users, or more selectively decide when it comes into play on hazards, other weak attacks, etc. In an actual battle and in most of the replays, it was usually Genesect absorbing u-turns from opposing Gene, with maybe a couple of correct predictions on an ice beam / tbolt / etc.

Second, its versatility in movepool and number of sets (I group those points together) lends weight to both supporters and opposition of Genesect, I'll try my best to explain why. Those who are against Gene make the case, like you have, that "because it has access to so many different coverage options and boosting capabilities, you can't reasonably determine which set your opponent is running. Further, because you can't know the set your opponent is running, Genesect can either bluff having certain coverage, have certain coverage and get KOs, or u-turn out on expected coverage to preserve momentum."

Let me illustrate the other side, though, and hopefully you'll see where I'm coming from (since I don't want to assume I necessarily speak for all people who are somewhat interested in a retest). Let's say you bring Genesect and I brought stall, and I lead off with Mega Sableye and you lead with Genesect. In my opinion this is actually a difficult scenario for the Genesect user because the minute you click any move, you have just revealed a ton of information about your set, right from turn 1. If you're the Choice Scarf + U-turn + IB/FT/TBolt set, that means you aren't going to be running any (or hardly any) EVs in attack as you've chosen to specialize your Genesect as a special attacker. So if you click U-turn, given the EV spread and the set I've suggested, you're going to be doing somewhere between 17-20% based on rolls and/or Timid vs Hasty nature. The Sableye user is free to simply click recover, and now knows "okay, this Genesect definitely isn't Choice Banded, which would have done 27-32%, and almost certainly means it doesn't have Extreme Speed". You could even go further and say "now I know that X or Y pokemon will be able to check Genesect throughout the rest of the match given that it's this set instead of another one". You could also assume that it's running Ice Beam and Flamethrower but some people aren't comfortable doing that, which is fine, they don't have to. Even in the worst case scenario, it's Life Orb Genesect with Bug Buzz at +1 SpA; Sableye still recovers to over half and knows that any of stall's dedicated special walls can check/counter it.

But let's say you don't like that example, don't play stall or think I cherry-picked something easy to explain. Let's take a very common lead-matchup example on Balance instead: Genesect vs TankChomp. Automatically you're inclined to think "this must be a really bad matchup for the Garchomp user, since Genesect could have Ice Beam and they'll lose Garchomp turn 1!". Let's take a step back and analyze what's really happening here, though. Genesect can either 1) Click Ice Beam, attempting to kill the Garchomp, 2) Click u-turn, expecting the Garchomp to switch and preserve momentum, or 3) Click a different coverage move in an attempt to predict what the Garchomp user might switch out into. I suppose option #4 could be "Genesect hard switches-out", as well, but I assume that was a given.

Realistically, though, what are the costs vs benefits of each of those options?:

Option 1: Ice Beam
Cost - If they switch out expecting the Ice Beam, you have just lost momentum and revealed a lot about your set. Not ideal.
Benefit - If they stay in, you kill Garchomp! Hurray!

Option 2: U-turn
Cost - If they stay in, you take Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet damage, you've predicted wrong and the Chomp user has the advantage. Staying in means they're getting a free SR, EQ or whatever other move they clicked, but likely SR if they've purposely chosen to stay in and predict your switch. You get off very poor damage on Chomp with U-turn in exchange for more damage in return, and you've arguably just lost momentum (and/or conceded SR).
Benefit - If your opponent switches out expecting the Ice Beam and you don't want to make an aggressive play, you can u-turn, which gives you momentum.

Option 3: Click [coverage move] expecting [Ice Beam check]
Cost - If Garchomp stays in, you just selected a very poor move, have lost a lot of momentum now Genesect is still in play, and must switch out next turn or take a Fire Blast/EQ/etc.
Benefit - This is extremely subjective. It requires you to make an aggressive play turn 1. It also requires you to accurately predict the exact switch-in your opponent will choose. If the choice is between Ferrothorn or Manaphy, what do you pick? But the benefit is that if you manage to navigate this head-game correctly, you might possibly get a KO on whatever comes in.

Option 4: Hard-switch out into something favorable vs TankChomp, or make an aggressive switch (rather than an aggressive move) like Option 3.
Cost - If Chomp stays in, you missed an opportunity to KO, may have conceded SR or might take an un-invested EQ.
Benefit - You don't reveal your set, you take no residual damage, and either you guessed their switch right or you both switched and you've not lost any ground.

I already know that for some players, they've stopped reading because to them, this is too much going on and they'll write it off (a la Aegislash) as "excessive 50/50s dude!". However what I'm hoping to illustrate here is that this isn't a "50/50" at all. Literally, "50/50" means "A player has an equal chance of making move A or move B and you can't possibly know, beyond guessing, which one they'll choose because move A and move B have equal utility". Looking at the options Genesect has above, first off, there are 4 options so if you like calling it a "25/25/25/25" then that's fine. However even that isn't really true, because you just made every option have an equal probability, and an insightful player will quickly realize that none of these options are equally valuable for the Genesect user without bearing a relevant cost. In fact, not only are all the options not equal in utility for the Gene user, but some of them are not great options at all (hence the reluctance of players to make aggressive plays, especially on turn 1). The best possible option as far as potential benefits exceeding potential costs is actually to just hard-switch out, aka Option 4. Some people would prefer to just click Ice Beam (option 1) and play it safely, but you do so with the knowledge that your opponent can take advantage of this situation and put you in a bad position (if they switched into Manaphy, as one example). Going for u-turn is a viable option (#2) only if they do switch out, only if you are actually a set that carries Ice Beam and only if your opponent doesn't recognize that you have the freedom to make that play (in other words, they make a move as aggressively as you do).

I don't think this turns the game into a prediction war or unreasonably "warps" the battle around Genesect. To me, this simply raises the level of skill required to win or outplay your opponent, which is a desirable aspect of any competitive game. It can't always be a battle of "1 star" plays, where everything has a hard counter and you know all your opponent's sets. Sometimes you're going to be in situations where you aren't going to know what your opponent will do (or what they're running) but will have to make a play based on your best odds of success. That's what this game is all about, managing your odds and risk vs reward, and I don't think Genesect (at this point in time) exacerbates this problem to an unhealthy extent.

Open to changing my mind, though. Sorry for the wall of text, got carried away.

After using and playing against mawile imo its not nearly as broken as it was in x and y. Alot of mons rn dont really care about sucker punch and can outspeed and force mega mawile out, but it still hits like a mfing truck..... However mega mawile still creates a shitload of 50/50s and would make the meta into a shitfest (If a ubers mon gets retested it should be a defensive mon so stall and bulky balanced teams can actually be useful and we can balance out the meta again..) Edit: and it seemed like sub was by far its set best so things like tank chomp mega alt etc cant do much to it)

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Time to chime...

: Genesect was the most interesting and controversial ban to me in XY, as it wasn't broken per say, but was too centralizing for the tier atm. It can provide extreme momentum, and has access to amazing coverage, making it able to run multiple sets. It's unpredictability was one factor to make it be unbalanced. Though now in ORAS, there are more faster threats that can threaten Genesect's effectiveness, so I would be open to see a retest in the near future, although this is all just theorymoning. It would be centralizing as hell though if it would be brought back.

: Greninja was the most broken mon to be banned in ORAS besides MegaMence imo. It's coverage + Protean made it almost impossible to stop it. Coupled with it's blazing speed that outspeeded most of the unboosted metagame was too much. Nothing has really changes since it has been banned besides new HAs being release and the release of Hoopa, which really doesn't change much. The ninja frog can stay in Ubers where it belongs.

: Blaziken has always been in the back of my mind after the BP nerf not too long ago. One of the attributes that made it broken has been taken away from it, although it can still effectively sweep on it's own. Blaziken was first banned early XY, and since then much has changed in the meta, with new trends such as TankChomp and Hippo balanced teams being everywhere. It does have checks in Azumarill, Hippowdown, Garchomp and Landorus-T that are quite common in the current meta. I will be able to determine more on it when it is released in the GAU round, to see it in play instead of just theorymoning. Mega Blaziken however would be slightly too much imo, due to it's amazing stats it gets, and the extra bulk it would receive, living hits that vanilla Blaze wouldn't. Would like to see a Blaziken retest, but Mega Blaziken can remain banned.

: I have seen some Mega Mawile matches this round, and to be quite honest, it still kinda dominates the meta. It's 105 Atk doubled by Huge Power, this thing literally has no switch in's. It's Steel/Fairy typing is amazing, coupled with it's nice 50/125/95 bulk is soo good. It would make stall much more difficult as a play style, and would threaten balanced and HO teams with priority Sucker Punch. Overall, I beleive Mega Mawile would be too much for the tier to handle, and would create to many 50/50's. Mega Mawile should remain banned.

: When I saw Reshiram as a candidate, I was a little intrigued at first, as it was never available to be played in the OU environment before. Though through further investigating, I concluded that it would be too much for the OU tier to handle. Although this is all theorymoning, Reshiram's stats are unbelievably good, as it's just lacking a good speed stat which can easily be fixed with a Choice Scarf. I know stats don't mean anything when we have stuff like Kyreum-B, but Reshiram has amazing STABs in Draco Metoeor and Blue Flare, which can 2HKO the entire tier. Especially in the sun, Reshiram would have zero swich in's. My mind could change when it's round comes around, but for now I believe Reshiram should remain banned.

: First let's start with Deoxys-D, oh how I don't miss DeoSharp HO teams... I think that was the only reason it got banned, as it provided these HO teams with free hazards, and when the opposing team uses Defog, automatic sweep with Bisharp. But now times have changed with two new Magic Bouncers, and more Rapid Spinners in Starmie. Of all potential suspects, this one to me is the most likely, due to HO being less used as a playstyle, and balance taking over that spot. Would have to see when the round comes out, but that is my current opinion atm. Now Deoxys-S, I also never understood why this was banned. Yes it is the fastest mon in the game, which can provide good hazard support, but there are plenty other mons in the current meta that fit that description aswell. I've also heard people say that it is an amazing revenge killer, but with only 95 offenses, I find that a little bit of a overstatement. Honeslty could see both Deoxys to be retested.

Just my opinions, so don't kill me :)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
So Round 2 has started with Mega Mawile being unbanned. I haven't played my actual matches but have done a couple test runs for practice. Mega Mawile is pretty much more broken than it was now than in XY lol which is kind of crazy cause even then it was pretty idiotic to face and the theorymon seen here that stuff that there are real countermeasures is laughable. The counter measures against Mawile are pretty garbage when most times you're dedicating the team to use Substitute mons to bypass the Sucker Punch games. Jolly SD Mawile + Tail Glow Manaphy destroys any balance build in the meta and after that the 4 team slots dedicated either are used to amplify mega mawile or just stop mega mawile. It's fun to see its former glory again but definitely don't want to see this back. It's even more detrimental to the tier now than it was before.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So Round 2 has started with Mega Mawile being unbanned. I haven't played my actual matches but have done a couple test runs for practice. Mega Mawile is pretty much more broken than it was now than in XY lol which is kind of crazy cause even then it was pretty idiotic to face and the theorymon seen here that stuff that there are real countermeasures is laughable. The counter measures against Mawile are pretty garbage when most times you're dedicating the team to use Substitute mons to bypass the Sucker Punch games. Jolly SD Mawile + Tail Glow Manaphy destroys any balance build in the meta and after that the 4 team slots dedicated either are used to amplify mega mawile or just stop mega mawile. It's fun to see its former glory again but definitely don't want to see this back. It's even more detrimental to the tier now than it was before.
Yeah I just can't see it happening either. The power of Mawile is just ridiculous. The only reasonable counter to that core (depending on Mana's coverage) is Mega Venu, which means you can't use your own Mawile. Even then, it's still getting worn down by both 'mons boosted, and either can't do enough damage to Mawile, or can't take a hit from it.

I know it's a bit late to comment on Genesect, but while I'm here, I just wanna say that based on the games I saw and played, there's just no way that thing should be OU. There's just too many sets it can run, and run REALLY well. Scarf (phys or special), RP, Band e-speed, shift gear, E-belt, Focus Sash, LO AoA... they're all really viable and usable in the current meta.

I know the tour was to give an idea of how these mon's would perform in the new, current OU, and the answer is just as good, if not better!

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
i'm not playing this gods among us thing and i haven't seen a single match with mega mawile yet, so i'm just theorymoning. However here are my thoughts: mega mawile was banned because of its incredible raw power that was leaving it with pretty much 0 switch-ins, i remember games that were all about bringing in mawile safely (not difficult to do thanks to typing and bulk) and firing off STABs moves carelessly, because something on the other side would have died anyways. So, did something change since then? i honestly don't see any shift in the metagame that would change that situation, teambuilding is already difficult because of the matchup issue and stuff, allowing mawile again in the OU environment would just mean amplify those problems because it would force us to use half of the teamslots to find a way to deal with it.
As i said i'm talking without any practical experience, so maybe i'll change my mind

I know it's a bit late to comment on Genesect, but while I'm here, I just wanna say that based on the games I saw and played, there's just no way that thing should be OU. There's just too many sets it can run, and run REALLY well. Scarf (phys or special), RP, Band e-speed, shift gear, E-belt, Focus Sash, LO AoA... they're all really viable and usable in the current meta.
True and you're entitled to your opinion. I'd just say in response that a pokemon capable of running many viable sets isn't broken if the sets themselves aren't broken.

i'm not playing this gods among us thing and i haven't seen a single match with mega mawile yet, so i'm just theorymoning. However...
Yeah, something did change: we lost Aegislash. Had Aegislash gone before Mawile in XY I think the sheer power of this thing would have been realized even sooner but if there's anything being dropped down in this tournament that actually got better, it's Mega Mawile. I half-heartedly supported its ban in XY but there's no chance of it being healthy for ORAS. I also thought it'd be nice to have another reliable Clefable check, but not at the additional cost of offensively pressuring over 90% of the OU metagame. It's got three very loose defensive checks in Mega Venusaur, Defensive Landorus-T and PhysDef Hippowdon but the problem is, all three of those are already a tad overloaded with threats to check already. Yeah you can use PhysDef Arcanine, Rotom-H or Entei, but they are very unreliable checks as Mawile is usually free to switch out / Sucker Punch (with minimal prior damage) while the "mawile check" just gets worn down by hazards and residual damage. Add in other offensive sweepers / balance breakers to compound this e.g. Mawile + Bisharp/Manaphy, and you're basically dedicating an entire team to stopping it. It's restrictiveness on teambuilding is unlike anything this tier has faced since Mega Salamence and there is an extremely minute chance this thing will ever be discussed for competitive OU again for the rest of Gen 6.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
True and you're entitled to your opinion. I'd just say in response that a pokemon capable of running many viable sets isn't broken if the sets themselves aren't broken.

Yeah, something did change: we lost Aegislash. Had Aegislash gone before Mawile in XY I think the sheer power of this thing would have been realized even sooner but if there's anything being dropped down in this tournament that actually got better, it's Mega Mawile. I half-heartedly supported its ban in XY but there's no chance of it being healthy for ORAS. I also thought it'd be nice to have another reliable Clefable check, but not at the additional cost of offensively pressuring over 90% of the OU metagame. It's got three very loose defensive checks in Mega Venusaur, Defensive Landorus-T and PhysDef Hippowdon but the problem is, all three of those are already a tad overloaded with threats to check already. Yeah you can use PhysDef Arcanine, Rotom-H or Entei, but they are very unreliable checks as Mawile is usually free to switch out / Sucker Punch (with minimal prior damage) while the "mawile check" just gets worn down by hazards and residual damage. Add in other offensive sweepers / balance breakers to compound this e.g. Mawile + Bisharp/Manaphy, and you're basically dedicating an entire team to stopping it. It's restrictiveness on teambuilding is unlike anything this tier has faced since Mega Salamence and there is an extremely minute chance this thing will ever be discussed for competitive OU again for the rest of Gen 6.
Dude aegislash was actually banned before mawile :o

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Round 3 will be having Blaziken unbanned for the duration of said round. Looking forward to reading ideas and concepts you guys and gals will have on utilizing both it and its mega evolution.

p2

Banned deucer.

Blaziken @ Life Orb / Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Protect / Knock Off / Thunder Punch

That's probably gonna be the most common set for Blaze. But I'll share my thoughts on it.

I don't see Blaziken being balanced at all, it just completely shreds bulky cores with its main STAB moves and has a billion different coverage moves in the last slot that shit on all of its "counters". It's also going to be difficult for offense to keep up with as it's not gonna be hard to pick up speed boosts with this thing considering how many switches it can force. The offensive answers that really stand out are Azumarill and Talonflame, both of which need to rely on their priority, which is shaping up for Garchomp to be one of Blazikens best teammates because it ruins Talonflame if Garchomp comes in on a Brave Bird after Rocks and kinda forces Azu into 50/50 situations, where it loses 30% HP or gets OHKOed by Thunderpunch if Blaze is running it. But Theorymonning isn't the way to go about threats, because I'm pretty sure everybody was surprised over Mega Mawile actually being more broken than it was in XY.

just my 2 cents after watching a bunch of replays:

genesect: I'd like to see it being retested, however I have a fear gene+dugtrio cores will become cancerous. mons like zard x and heatran which can switch into gene with little problems get fucked when it u-turns and goes to dug, who is able to remove them easily, unless tran has shed shell lol. gene can them spam its download-boosted moves like no tomorrow, since it has coverage like blaze kick/flamethrower, thunderbolt, ice beam, iron head/flash cannon, x-scissor/bug buzz and prio in espeed for revenge killing. choice band explosion is not fun to face either esp with a +1 boost. it can run a lot of sets such as scarf (special or physical, both with u-turn), band, special rock polish or physical shift gear. it's also able to hard switch into lots of mons (especially fairies and dragons) due to its bug/steel typing and decent defenses. however, gene still has its weaknesses such as being trapped by magnezone, having no access to superpower (unlike scizor), and 99 speed is just troll. i am not sure

mawile: this thing is broken lol, and is better than in XY. it has zero counters between its two sets, sd and subpunch, and its steel/fairy typing + intimidate provides it surprisingly many switch-ins (lati@s, m-alt, clef). sucker punch is no slouch either as it forces bullshit 50/50s and fucks offense especially at +2. balance and stall have severe problems too especially if steel-types are removed (which btw subpunch mawile can do very well, as many heatran users can tell you). yeah its special defense is shit and is slow but those negatives are very hard to exploit due to the threat of sub and +2 sucker punch. keep it banned

Mawile, keep that thing banned. Simple as that.
Did some testing with a few people despite losing to absolute bullshit round 1, and I honestly don't feel this monster needs to make a return. Keep in mind this is coming from an once avid 'Mawile for OU' supporter. Everything dies, simple as that, there are exactly 0 switch ins to this behemoth. Whatever does switch in dies to another move. I mean, when you can make a core of mMaw + any 'mon, you have a problem on your hands. I love Mega Mawile, more than the next guy, but there is no way that this thing should ever make a return. Period.

All the other ubers I couldn't possibly care less about if I tried. :]

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I don't know if it'll help for OU at all, but if anyone's looking for ideas for their blaziken in round 3, one set that's popular in VGC is a mixed LO one, since it lets it hit tons of stuff for super effective.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
– Overheat
– Superpower
– Protect
– Hidden Power [Ice]

You'll probably want to adjust the EVs since it's made for hitting things like mega salamence, mega kangaskhan, aegislash, etc, but I think it's worth looking into as a hit-and-run attacker!

theory-monning is cool so i thought i would share my thoughts

genesect- this thing is still really broken lmao. you never really know what it's going to do and teams just have so little for it... it's incredibly good at breaking all kinds of teams. it's mixed sweeping ability destroys stall while HO and balance are steamrolled by the scarf set. with minimal team support it's just too good. probably in our best interest that this remains banned

mawile- m-mawile is just as broken as it was when it was banned last year. i think the metagame could function with it but it just wouldnt be fun. it would render bulky teams near useless and we would just have a balls-to-the-wall offense meta like we did last year at wcop time

blaziken- no thanks. it's such a cool mon but people need to realize that just because "talonflame can ohko it" doesnt mean it's not broken. in fact, this thing has no true counter. nothing can switch into this safely, and the fact that it outspeeds the entire metagame after 2 turns is just ridiculous. i would love to see it balanced in gen 7 but one can only hope

greninja- ewwww... take off gunk shot and im okay with it but the fact that it ohkos the entire meta with the right moves is just not okay.

reshiram- does anyone actually think this would be a good idea in ou? lol

deo-s- nah, this thing just does it's job too well, and i think the offensive LO set puts it over the edge... i would rather not see this thing back in ou

deo-d- if anything on the list is "not broken," i guess it would be this. it's really predictable. then again, deosharp cores are not something i would like to see in ou again... keep it banned

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
blaziken- no thanks. it's such a cool mon but people need to realize that just because "talonflame can ohko it" doesnt mean it's not broken. in fact, this thing has no true counter. nothing can switch into this safely, and the fact that it outspeeds the entire metagame after 2 turns is just ridiculous. i would love to see it balanced in gen 7 but one can only hope
Slowbro (and Mega), Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, Mega Venusaur, Starmie, Mega Altaria, Mega Sableye, and even Quagsire.

Also, not sure if I'm out of line posting here since I'm not part of the tour, but a lot of people are thinking Blaziken could drop back to OU, while Greninja would stay Uber. But if Blaziken is unbanned, then there's one more solid check, and a solid counter to Greninja's standard set, as Blaziken takes Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Low Kick, and Gunk shot, outspeeds after one Speed Boost, and OHKOs Greninja with its proper STAB move.

Not saying Greninja should drop, per se, but Blaziken could tilt the tables a little bit.

p2

Banned deucer.
The only thing I don't like about that is that Blaziken has viable moves that it can fit to bypass all of those answers, not all at once ofc, but it makes them really wary of switching in.

Aside from Speed Boost nonsense, it's really similar to Greninja, in that the coverage it runs is team dependant and it can be walled by certain Pokemon but it has also 0 switch ins that are actually safe because of how big their movepools are.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Slowbro (and Mega), Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, Mega Venusaur, Starmie, Mega Altaria, Mega Sableye, and even Quagsire.
Er.... noo:

252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 230-270 (58.3 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 208-247 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(mega bro does one shot it with scald)

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 296-351 (75.1 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Normal Bro needs rocks to do so.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 305-360 (79.8 - 94.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 426-503 (101.4 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 296-350 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (multiscale broken)

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 330-393 (90.6 - 107.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 303-356 (93.8 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Altaria: 246-289 (69.4 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Can't OHKO Blaze.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 398-468 (130.9 - 153.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

huh?
Lando-T and Garchomp get bodied by HP Ice (which is a pretty decent option, and Blaziken doesn't even need HP Ice to beat both versions of Lando as Scarf takes like 60% even at -1 and +1 Flare Blitz OHKOs defensive variants after Rocks half the time), Mega Venusaur and Mega Sableye, the latter can do literally nothing back, get OHKOed by +2 Flare Blitz, Quagsire is 2HKOed by High Jump Kick and Starmie loses to Knock Off (well +2 Flare Blitz just OHKOs anyways). Dragonite is only a check if it's at full health, and even Mega Altaria is just OHKOed after Rocks by +2 High Jump Kick (god). Blaziken is really ridiculous tbh, I can't see it being healthy at all, as a lot of the supposed checks in reality just get absolutely murdered by coverage moves (some of them don't even need coverage moves lol).

e: ninja'd ;_;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)