Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
This threads been pretty empty lately, so I though I'd like to share a core that I've been using recently that has had great success:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic
- U-turn

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power

Gyrados is the main sweeper of this core. If it can get to +2, it's game over. Heatran takes talonflame, ferrothorn, andsablye and wrecks them, allowing a much easier sweep. Celebi, completing the FWG, is a very good revenge killer and status absorber so klefki and other t-wavers cant touch gyrados. This core need little support and is very effective.
This looks like a pretty interesting core but is a bit weak to Conkeldurr. If you mega evolve too early wiith Gyarados, Conk can pretty much take care of all three Pokes.

252 SpA Celebi Psychic vs. 44 HP / 212 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 176-210 (48.6 - 58%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Celebi: 272-322 (79.7 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Celebi: 42-50 (12.3 - 14.6%)

Celebi can't survive this after rocks.

Hmm... Speaking of Mega Gyarados, I think Gyarados and Talonflame make a pretty deadly offensive core, mainly for Talonflame's ability to murder priority users like Conkeldurr and Mega Pinsir. Thanks to Intimidate, Gyarados can dispose of opposing Talonflame as well as bring down most Rock-types and Rotom-W thanks to Mold Breaker Earthquake.

EDIT: Physically Defensive Slowbro could probably shut down this core, so Celebi returns, but this is due to its ability to use Heal Bell, in case Gyarados gets Burned or Paralyzed.

Alright I need some assistance. I'm looking for a decent core to help me run through super singles in battle maison. So far i've been running with this

Gliscor
Poison Heal
Impish (252hp/252/def)
Toxic Orb
EQ
Knock off
Sword Dance
Protect

Empoleon
Torrent
Modest(252sp att/252 hp) (Assault Vest)
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Flash Cannon

Mega-Medicham/Medicham
Jolly (252att/252speed)
Bullet Punch
Hi-jump kick
Zen Headbutt
Ice-Punch

It's been mildly successful in getting me to at least 30 straight wins before the hax start happening. Gliscor as defensive wall, empoleon to soak up and ice/water hits that threaten glisor, and mega medicham to be raw power and priority. And I've noticed Ghosts are a mild thorn in my side since, Ghosts no longer have any resistances. Fire types also tend to put a damper on things. I want to change up mega-cham into another mega or something else that powerful, with out any overlapping weaknesses to the other two. I was thinking Houndoom since it can absorb fire, and carries a resist (i think) to ghosts and retaliate with suckerpunches, but his frailty is a problem.

Alright I need some assistance. I'm looking for a decent core to help me run through super singles in battle maison. So far i've been running with this

Gliscor
Poison Heal
Impish (252hp/252/def)
Toxic Orb
EQ
Knock off
Sword Dance
Protect

Empoleon
Torrent
Modest(252sp att/252 hp) (Assault Vest)
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Flash Cannon

Mega-Medicham/Medicham
Jolly (252att/252speed)
Bullet Punch
Hi-jump kick
Zen Headbutt
Ice-Punch

It's been mildly successful in getting me to at least 30 straight wins before the hax start happening. Gliscor as defensive wall, empoleon to soak up and ice/water hits that threaten glisor, and mega medicham to be raw power and priority. And I've noticed Ghosts are a mild thorn in my side since, Ghosts no longer have any resistances. Fire types also tend to put a damper on things. I want to change up mega-cham into another mega or something else that powerful, with out any overlapping weaknesses to the other two. I was thinking Houndoom since it can absorb fire, and carries a resist (i think) to ghosts and retaliate with suckerpunches, but his frailty is a problem.
Hmm... Gliscor and Empoleon have some good synergy together, but it's better if you run them defensively. Here's some good sets to try.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roar

Empoleon and Gliscor have great Defensive synergy together, and beat most of their counters. Empoleon serves the purpose of taking Special Attacks and setting up Stealth Rock while also clearing it away from your side. Gliscor can take physical hits all day and start wearing things down with Toxic. Now, you did say something about overlapping weaknesses, but sometimes, you just have to put up with it. Mega Pinsir can serve as an even more dangerous priority user than Mega Medicham, as Pinsir's Quick Attack gets STAB and an Aerilate boost.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about some of these cores is that Mamoswine's dual STAB chews through them. Would it be better to bring an offensive counter to remove Mamoswine and then let the core do some work?

The only thing I don't like about some of these cores is that Mamoswine's dual STAB chews through them. Would it be better to bring an offensive counter to remove Mamoswine and then let the core do some work?
Maison figured that out and started to sick that on me along with hex for gliscor. Which is why I have medicham to high jump kick mamo in the face. I might want to resort to speed boost blaziken. I've been playing with out it for so long since it's banishment to ubers I forgot maison allows it.

As for the 2 sets mentioned above I feel like taunt shuts it down entirely. But it gives me an idea thanks.

Last edited:
This looks like a pretty interesting core but is a bit weak to Conkeldurr. If you mega evolve too early wiith Gyarados, Conk can pretty much take care of all three Pokes.

252 SpA Celebi Psychic vs. 44 HP / 212 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 176-210 (48.6 - 58%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Celebi: 272-322 (79.7 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Celebi: 42-50 (12.3 - 14.6%)

Celebi can't survive this after rocks.
Yea I've noticed that during this core, but if i see a conk, it's actually good set-up bait.

-1 252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 57-68 (17.1 - 20.4%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 87-102 (26.2 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Then Mega or keep Boosting!
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 342-403 (97.4 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You know, I was actually considering something like this for awhile. Only difference is that I use a Defensive Heatran and Celebi as opposed to offensive ones. Heatran in particular, as it can set up Stealth Rock to give Gyarados an easier time at mowing through a team.
Yea I decided offencive as this was parred up with bisharp + deo-d + Aegislash, so the hazards where already done.

Is there any good option to pair with the following core?

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 HP
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute

I was thinking of Venusaur, but since my Mega spot is already taken by MegaZardX and I have no pokemon able to set up sun, I'm thinking about Roserade or Trevenant

Amoonguss or Tangrowth form a pretty good regenerator core with Slowbro if you're looking for a grass type to complete your FWG.
But that's not a fwg core, its a water type and a ground type.

Mkushrom, those two seem pretty redundant together to me, as they seem to handle basically the same things as each other. If you really want to keep those two, I'd recommend adding a dedicated special wall such as assault vest torny t (in lower tiers) or blissey.

But that's not a fwg core, its a water type and a ground type.

Mkushrom, those two seem pretty redundant together to me, as they seem to handle basically the same things as each other. If you really want to keep those two, I'd recommend adding a dedicated special wall such as assault vest torny t (in lower tiers) or blissey.
Not really, AV Slowbro easily takes any Water/Ice moves aimed at Gliscor, Gliscor takes Bug moves, between the two Dark and Ghost are a bit problematic.

It's hardly the best core I've seen but it does have more synergy than you think.

Not really, AV Slowbro easily takes any Water/Ice moves aimed at Gliscor, Gliscor takes Bug moves, between the two Dark and Ghost are a bit problematic.

It's hardly the best core I've seen but it does have more synergy than you think.
If you do not look at the synergy between the two, and instrad look at them individualy, they are mostly used for similar purposes on different teams. Granted, they do cover a few weaknesses between them, but they are not my first choice for a core, you are pairing two primarily physical walls together, yes I accounted for assault vest, when I would think you would take a mixed wall and a physical/special wall, or a physical and a special wall together before asking for a third member. Hell, I don't care, use what you want if that's how you play, but I suggested a member to round out the core, granted I'm a bit rusty at the meta so it may not have been the best, while all you did was choose a trivial part in my post to criticize, and then go insulting my intelligence with a comment like "more then you think". Believe me, sir, I know how to play the game, and I have a working knowledge of usable cores. Plus I'm likely to spout off into a wall of text in response to a comment like yours, so if you've read all of this you surely must be asking yourself is it worth it.

If you do not look at the synergy between the two, and instrad look at them individualy, they are mostly used for similar purposes on different teams. Granted, they do cover a few weaknesses between them, but they are not my first choice for a core, you are pairing two primarily physical walls together, yes I accounted for assault vest, when I would think you would take a mixed wall and a physical/special wall, or a physical and a special wall together before asking for a third member. Hell, I don't care, use what you want if that's how you play, but I suggested a member to round out the core, granted I'm a bit rusty at the meta so it may not have been the best, while all you did was choose a trivial part in my post to criticize, and then go insulting my intelligence with a comment like "more then you think". Believe me, sir, I know how to play the game, and I have a working knowledge of usable cores. Plus I'm likely to spout off into a wall of text in response to a comment like yours, so if you've read all of this you surely must be asking yourself is it worth it.
Well he did ask for something to round out his core, add something like Umbreon or SpD Mandibuzz (first things to come to my mind) or some other Dark/Ghost resist and you got a pretty good defensive synergy right there (although with Mandibuzz you'll might have some problems walling stuff with BoltBeam or similar coverage like Cube) missing pretty much only a Fairy resist.

My last comment was in no way meant to insult your intelligence, just for some reason people consider Slowbro to be a Physical wall whereas the AV set is really a great all around wall that still has significant offensive presence (I've used it myself quite a lot and believe me it pulls it's weight and then some).

I'm new to the metagame, and I feel a bit childish by saying this, but I've been meaning to create a core with Togekiss, my favorite pokemon. Togekiss would likely serve as the crippler, paralyzing to lower speed and whittling down their HP or outright KO'ing them with ParaFlinch. Fairy/Flying is weak to Steel, Ice, Poison (not as common), Electric and Rock, unless I'm missing something. Now, it is strong against Dragon, Fighting (almost no Fighting type, save Lucario, can touch this thing), Dark, Grass, and Bug. The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of partners is a strong Fighting type, as Fighting covers almost all of those weaknesses. I feel Conkeldurr is up to this role, however, a Fire type would also be appreciated. This is what I was thinking:

Togekiss @Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
Bold Nature

-Thunder Wave
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Roost

Conkeldurr @Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EV's 252 Atk/ 252 SDef/ 4 Def
Adamant Nature

-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Knock Off
-Earthquake/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch/Poison Jab

I was thinking that Earthquake would be good on Conk, to cover Aegislash and Electric types that annoy Togekiss. However, Excadrill would be a good addition to this set, spinning away hazards and covering those Electric types. The biggest threats I see are Gengar, Talonflame, and Aegislash. Garchomp with Stone Edge can also pose a threat. Sticky Web and hazard support would also be great, so hazards Smeargle or Galvantula would be nice additions.

However, there are several counters to this core, so I think it is incomplete. Is there anything that could be done to make this better? Is Conkeldurr the best Pokemon for this core, or am I forgetting something? Please respond with what you believe is incomplete and what can be improved.

Edit: I noticed Tyranitar is also a good counter to pretty much everything that this core is weak to. It might be a good addition to this team.

I'm new to the metagame, and I feel a bit childish by saying this, but I've been meaning to create a core with Togekiss, my favorite pokemon. Togekiss would likely serve as the crippler, paralyzing to lower speed and whittling down their HP or outright KO'ing them with ParaFlinch. Fairy/Flying is weak to Steel, Ice, Poison (not as common), Electric and Rock, unless I'm missing something. Now, it is strong against Dragon, Fighting (almost no Fighting type, save Lucario, can touch this thing), Dark, Grass, and Bug. The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of partners is a strong Fighting type, as Fighting covers almost all of those weaknesses. I feel Conkeldurr is up to this role, however, a Fire type would also be appreciated. This is what I was thinking:

Togekiss @Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
Bold Nature

-Thunder Wave
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Roost

Conkeldurr @Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EV's 252 Atk/ 252 SDef/ 4 Def
Adamant Nature

-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Knock Off
-Earthquake/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch/Poison Jab

I was thinking that Earthquake would be good on Conk, to cover Aegislash and Electric types that annoy Togekiss. However, Excadrill would be a good addition to this set, spinning away hazards and covering those Electric types. The biggest threats I see are Gengar, Talonflame, and Aegislash. Garchomp with Stone Edge can also pose a threat. Sticky Web and hazard support would also be great, so hazards Smeargle or Galvantula would be nice additions.

However, there are several counters to this core, so I think it is incomplete. Is there anything that could be done to make this better? Is Conkeldurr the best Pokemon for this core, or am I forgetting something? Please respond with what you believe is incomplete and what can be improved.

Edit: I noticed Tyranitar is also a good counter to pretty much everything that this core is weak to. It might be a good addition to this team.
I don't consider Gengar much of an issue, as it cries at the sight of Assault Vest Conkeldurr, unless it's the SubDisable variant.

Bringing back a new core I've found effective in the current metagame. This cores aims to take out as many threats as possible, while also being able to support each other.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 HP / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn / Bug Bite
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog / Roar
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake

Mega Scizor is the highlight of this core, being able to tank many moves and set up swords dances with ease due to its 70/140/100 bulk. It is able to 2HKO most non-physically bulky mons' for the team, while also being able to revenge kill many threats. Zapdos is the special wall of the core, sponging Special moves, (mainly fire type moves) for Quagsire and Scizor. It takes out threats such as Non-toxic stall Aegislash and Rotom, It can support the core with Defog, but if you don't need the support, it can be replaced with roar, for phazing. Discharge and heatwave provide decent coverage alongside eachother. Quagsire sponges physical attacks and stops boosters such as charizard, pinsir, and thunderous in the tracks, and threatens them with toxic and scald. Support options for the core could include a way to sponge water attacks, and a way to beat mega Venasaur.

Edit: Scizor Could run Bug Bite over U-Turn, however u-turn is great for momentum. It can also run Knock off oven Swords Dance.

Last edited:
Bringing back a new core I've found effective in the current metagame. This cores aims to take out as many threats as possible, while also being able to support each other.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 HP / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog / Roar
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Lax Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake

Mega Scizor is the highlight of this core, being able to tank many moves and set up swords dances with ease due to its 70/140/100 bulk. It is able to 2HKO most non-physically bulky mons' for the team, while also being able to revenge kill many threats. Zapdos is the special wall of the core, sponging Special moves, (mainly fire type moves) for Quagsire and Scizor. It takes out threats such as Non-toxic stall Aegislash and Rotom, It can support the core with Defog, but if you don't need the support, it can be replaced with roar, for phazing. Discharge and heatwave provide decent coverage alongside eachother. Quagsire sponges physical attacks and stops boosters such as charizard, pinsir, and thunderous, in the tracks, and threatens them with toxic and scald. Support options for the core could include a way to sponge water attacks, and a way to beat mega Venasaur.
Okay, reading that, It looks like this would work to drastic effect. Heck, the idea to give Scizor Light Metal to take Low Kicks better is pretty cool. However, why are you running a Lax Nature on your Quagsire? Unless you typed that wrong or something.

Okay, reading that, It looks like this would work to drastic effect. Heck, the idea to give Scizor Light Metal to take Low Kicks better is pretty cool. However, why are you running a Lax Nature on your Quagsire? Unless you typed that wrong or something.
Yea meant to be relaxed

Mamo's Dual STAB chews through everything bar cores using Skarm or Rotom-H, or even Shedinja. He has the second best offensive typing (second to Fire/Dragon) in the game, and the best offensive Super Effective typing in the game, so idk.

Here's a nice offensive duo I've been using:

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Foul Play
- Thunderbolt

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Punch
- Play Rough

The idea is Gothitelle Tricks on a favourable mon (e.g. Ferrothorn, a Cleric, etc.) - you're then guaranteed a free switch into Mawile. Mega-evo and sub on turn one, and something is almost guaranteed to die through a combination of Sucker Punch and Play Rough/Focus Punch (baring the occaisonal miss on Play Rough). You need to watch out for Noivern with Infiltrator or something Intimidating you on that first turn (Intimidate doesn't work through subs so after turn 1 you're okay), but apart from that you should be golden. With a good team built around it, all you need to do then is look for opportunities to get that sub back up.

I've had success with this core.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 8 Spd / 252 Def / 248 HP
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt/Whirlwind
- Foul Play/Knock Off/Brave Bird

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head/Sacred Sword

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP/ 216 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

(I know I talk about Lanturn way too much, but that's just because of how underrated and underutilized I think it is)

Mandislash is nothing new. Both pokemon have terrific synergy, with Mandislash absorbing Dark, Ghost, and Ground attacks, and Aegislash dealing with rocks and ice. However, adding Lanturn to the core deals with the core's weakness to electric and fire. Yes, that is a property shared by most Dragon types, but Lanturn also boasts a resistance to Ice, which is often used with electric offensively. You also gain more special bulk, status healing, and more helpful status with paralysis and burn.

It should also be noted that Skarmory is a good substitute for Mandibuzz in this core if you want more offensive presence and physical bulk, and have a Dark/Ghost resist on your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)