Google+

I don't understand this at all.

It's taken years to slowly accumulate all the people I know on facebook. I've uploaded 100s of pictures, been tagged in almost 1000. At this point, facebook is almost like an archive of my life - I can easily find pictures of my high school prom or look at conversations between myself and my friends that took place years ago if I'm feeling nostalgic. All of my friends are on facebook and we use it all the time for planning events, coordinating daily life, keeping in touch when we go away etc

What possible reason would I have for wanting to start completely from scratch to emerge at almost the exact same final product? Less ads/apps? If you've used facebook at all since the last update you would have seen that stupid quiz updates and farmville type stuff in your newsfeed or your inbox have been drastically cut down to the point where they're almost non-existent, and ads only occupy a column about 2 inches wide on one side of the screen. Increased privacy? I guess if you are extremely, extremely paranoid about privacy this could be important but I've never found a case where facebook's privacy settings were inadequate. The circle idea is pretty interesting but I can't imagine wanting to maintain that when you have a ton of friends.

Either way, my point is - even if google+ is better than facebook, I still don't see that as a reason to switch to it, because A) I don't think there is anything deepy, structurally wrong with facebook and B) whatever few perks there are of google+ are overwhelmingly outnumbered by the fact that facebook is already the standard and changing is a bitch.

You really can't expect for facebook to be around forever. Myspace used to be what Facebook is to us today. Suddenly a new guy appears with all the things that Myspace used to have, and even more perks. Myspace is now a ghost town. I think that g+ is to Facebook as Facebook was to Myspace.

I just signed up; pretty decent. Interface is smoother and cleaner than Facebook's, and it doesn't have idiotic ads everywhere. Also, no stupid-ass games and crappy quizzes are a HUGE plus (no pun intended) Google+ has over Facebook.

The only reason I'm not switching over is because all of my friends are still on Facebook. Also agreeing somewhat with Blln's point. Pictures are all on Facebook. Facebook privacy is mainly a problem if you're stupid enough to click on those spam apps.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've spent YEARS perfecting my Facebook profile, I do not want to start over!

This is like when Perfect Dark came out for the N64 after Goldeneye had so much success

Just wait y'all, the ads and games and other spam will come at some point. It doesn't have them now because Google wants to get everyone to join. Eventually they will need the advertising to help revenue =p.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's there to perfect? Your about me or the quotations you lifted from some movie? It's just a new way of communicating. Personally I like it for the ability to be able to section off your friends into different groups. That way you can say have co-workers in one section and close friends in the other. You may want to share to your close friends that you just went to this sick ass party and got totally shitfaced, but may not want Sue in HR to get wind of it.

You mean like you can section off your friend with Friend Lists in Facebook? That feature has already exsisted and everyone ignored it when Facebook added it, but Google announces it as "Friend circles" and everyone is like "This is the best thing ever!"

I don't understand this at all.

It's taken years to slowly accumulate all the people I know on facebook. I've uploaded 100s of pictures, been tagged in almost 1000. At this point, facebook is almost like an archive of my life - I can easily find pictures of my high school prom or look at conversations between myself and my friends that took place years ago if I'm feeling nostalgic. All of my friends are on facebook and we use it all the time for planning events, coordinating daily life, keeping in touch when we go away etc

What possible reason would I have for wanting to start completely from scratch to emerge at almost the exact same final product? Less ads/apps? If you've used facebook at all since the last update you would have seen that stupid quiz updates and farmville type stuff in your newsfeed or your inbox have been drastically cut down to the point where they're almost non-existent, and ads only occupy a column about 2 inches wide on one side of the screen. Increased privacy? I guess if you are extremely, extremely paranoid about privacy this could be important but I've never found a case where facebook's privacy settings were inadequate. The circle idea is pretty interesting but I can't imagine wanting to maintain that when you have a ton of friends.

Either way, my point is - even if google+ is better than facebook, I still don't see that as a reason to switch to it, because A) I don't think there is anything deepy, structurally wrong with facebook and B) whatever few perks there are of google+ are overwhelmingly outnumbered by the fact that facebook is already the standard and changing is a bitch.
Estoy de acuerdo >_> Facebook already has everyone on it, which is actually so much more important than a lot of new and helpful features and interfaces.

No doubt, there are problems and things I would change with Facebook, but almost everyone I know uses it and I've already made the effort to make my account, etc. The apps and stupid "like" pages aren't enough to detur me.

As for the advantages of google+, no doubt it probably will be smoother and faster than facebook, but that isn't enough. I don't use facebook chat, I solely stick to skype. And skype, like facebook, both work well enough that I don't see a reason to change. Between them I can basically do almost everything I would want to do (chat, organise events, stay in touch).

Having said that, I have almost no doubt that soon enough social networking will move away from Facebook. All Google+ (or any other site) needs to do is convince a lot of the 13-30 year olds to switch over. And Google should be looking to integrate other features such as translate, so I don't have to resort to my terrible French when I want to talk to my French friends. Also I'd probably expect a lot of integration with youtube-related content (like subscriptions appearing on the home page, easier sharing videos, etc.) A lot of little points like that would add up, but the only way for everyone to use google+ is for around 1/4 of people to start using it a lot. Same could be said about Facebook; basically the core of networking is having friends to network with.

Even if google+ doesn't take off; it's still (much needed) healthy competition for facebook and hopefully it encourages both sites to push each other forward. Although I can't help but feel as though google is trying too hard to take over the internet.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I never even knew that feature existed. If they announced it on facebook, they sure did a fantastic job of making sure people knew about it. I'm in no means abandoning facebook or admonishing those who won't "get with the times" and get a g+ account. Just saying that I think it's cool and if anything some competition will ensure we get a better product as consumers going forward.

Edit: last sentence ninja'd..

You really can't expect for facebook to be around forever. Myspace used to be what Facebook is to us today. Suddenly a new guy appears with all the things that Myspace used to have, and even more perks. Myspace is now a ghost town. I think that g+ is to Facebook as Facebook was to Myspace.
Except that Facebook actually brought something new to the users in comparison to Myspace whereas Google+ is already identified as an 'identical product' to Facebook. Internet innovations are not about replacing, which Google+, Diaspora, MyCube and all these other start-ups are trying to accomplish. Internet innovations are about generating something new to the consumers.

There will eventually be a product that will overrun Facebook because it has created a new need for the consumers. I don't see how Google+ has created something that I can't live without.

And now to make my point completely void: I got my Google+ invite today and I'm pretty excited!

Google+ isn't a simple replacement, or even identical as you put it. Yes, it serves the same purpose of social networking. At the same time it brings along with it a wonderful and clean interface, quite a few neat features, and access to all my other Google products such as mail, calender, docs, youtube, blogger, ect from one place. What advantages did facebook have over myspace when it first came out? To be honest, not much. It had a nicer interface and the community was better. But both did the same thing. You could post on someone's wall, send messages, post pictures, and other such things. The same can be said for Google+. It is similar in it's purpose, but not identical in execution. Those differences in execution are what allowed facebook to topple myspace, and maybe what will allow G+ to pull ahead someday.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol @ anyone who thinks they have more privacy on Google+ than Facebook. There is not privacy, simply the illusion of privacy...

Google+ isn't a simple replacement, or even identical as you put it. Yes, it serves the same purpose of social networking. At the same time it brings along with it a wonderful and clean interface, quite a few neat features, and access to all my other Google products such as mail, calender, docs, youtube, blogger, ect from one place. What advantages did facebook have over myspace when it first came out? To be honest, not much. It had a nicer interface and the community was better. But both did the same thing. You could post on someone's wall, send messages, post pictures, and other such things. The same can be said for Google+. It is similar in it's purpose, but not identical in execution. Those differences in execution are what allowed facebook to topple myspace, and maybe what will allow G+ to pull ahead someday.
Yes, they are not identical - thus, the quotation marks around the word identical in my previous post.

A new interface is not a new need for consumers. In Internet products, the surface is just rather a supporting element in the product. Facebook's interface is nothing spectacular but it serves its purpose - people don't need a fancy interface. Every new site has these 'neat' new features but I don't see how Google+ would have anything neat enough to absorb the consumers of a worldwide social media website with brand-loyal users. You can also implement quite a few products to Facebook and log in to various websites via Facebook. I'm a user of Google log-in products such as Youtube and Blogger but I don't see how it would change my life if they were in one place. Trillian combined all popular messengers a few years backwards into the same program/website, so it would be easy to access all of them at once. And how did that work out? I never saw people too hyped about the concept, even though it looked good on paper.

So again, I don't see what Google+ would prodive me with that I would need.

As for advantages that Facebook has over Myspace, I'd start with the amount of different applications Facebook has to offer over Myspace's fairly limited selection, the news feed is something Myspace lacks. In Facebook you have instant information on what your contacts are doing, this Myspace didn't have. Myspace had no customer support, which I consider to be quite something that Facebook had over Myspace. Limitless photo upload, tagging, liking, lack of spam/spyware and the ability to actually limit people from seeing your profile. Facebook and Myspace did the same thing only down in their roots but the tree grew out to be completely different. The actions you mentioned in your post that would indicate the similarity between the two sites would make Smogon and Myspace 'do both the same thing', as you put it. You can post on someone's wall, send messages, post pictures, etc. Yet, would you define this forum as social media?

HATE IT its just a rip off like myspace. use facebook. there are some good things, but who uses it? many things i see on the internet with only like 100 fb likes have only 1 or 2 g+ whateveryoucallems. so that means its 50x or 100x times less used, making it hard to find friends. While google has a superior search engine, and mail equal to yahoo, it will NEVER beat facebook. period.

i was going to respond to echo's post but now i'm too busy laughing

edit:

A new interface is not a new need for consumers. In Internet products, the surface is just rather a supporting element in the product. Facebook's interface is nothing spectacular but it serves its purpose - people don't need a fancy interface.
a service like this should strive for a simple, consistent, minimalist interface. that was a huge advantage facebook had over myspace in 2006, but google's really good at doing that sort of thing well.

Every new site has these 'neat' new features but I don't see how Google+ would have anything neat enough to absorb the consumers of a worldwide social media website with brand-loyal users. You can also implement quite a few products to Facebook and log in to various websites via Facebook.
it annoys me to no end that facebook follows me all around the internet. it's the only site i log out of when i'm done using it deliberately to stop this kind of behaviour.
Trillian combined all popular messengers a few years backwards into the same program/website, so it would be easy to access all of them at once. And how did that work out? I never saw people too hyped about the concept, even though it looked good on paper.
trillian is basically just pidgin but proprietary. i don't know of any trillian users but i know lots of pidgin users (including myself, for a while)

As for advantages that Facebook has over Myspace, I'd start with the amount of different applications Facebook has to offer over Myspace's fairly limited selection, the news feed is something Myspace lacks. In Facebook you have instant information on what your contacts are doing, this Myspace didn't have.
facebook's news feed blows. it doesn't tell you what all your contacts are doing (it picks them seemingly at random) but it pretends that it does. my google+ newsfeed hasn't seen enough use for me to make a comparison but it'll probably be much more useful than facebook's.

The actions you mentioned in your post that would indicate the similarity between the two sites would make Smogon and Myspace 'do both the same thing', as you put it. You can post on someone's wall, send messages, post pictures, etc. Yet, would you define this forum as social media?
yes?

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i thought the draw of facebook over myspace was that you didn't have that bastard tom

I don't have google+ right now, but already it sounds better than facebook. Google doesn't have a lot of viruses that facebook has, so that's why I'm switching now.

Here's what I love about Google+ in general and the Google+ Diet in particular:

Instead of saying, "I'm going to write a blog post now," or "I'm going to send an e-mail" or "I think I'll tweet something" you simply say what you have to say, then decide who you're going to say it to.

If you address it to "Public," it's a blog post.

If you address it to "Your Circles" it's a tweet.

If you address it to your "My Customers" Circle it's a business newsletter.

If you address it to a single person, it can be a letter to your mother.

I'd say this is pretty revolutionary.
also

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Am I the only person that only has a rarely used twitter account when it comes to social networking? geez

Move Your Photos to Picasa

One of the side-benefits of signing up for Google+ is that users get essentially unlimited storage for the photos they want to share with their circles. As soon as Google+ launched, many scrambled to move their photos from Facebook to Picasa (soon to be renamed Google Photos) so they could share them. The service Move2Picasa appeared, was promptly overwhelmed after TechCrunch and we mentioned it, and then moved to a Chrome add-on that streamlines the process of migrating your photos from Facebook to Picasa. Still, if you're looking to make better use of Google+, posting your photos to Picasa is the easiest way to make them available for sharing.
Very cool, especially if the main reason you didn't want to move over to G+ was because you didn't want to lose all your photos. Very very neat, and probably not good news for facebook...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)