GRAMMAR DOJO

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, I think it's ok for me to get another check in here....which, if I can, I'll never stop. Latias here. This is a bit more recent, but probably a less-implemented check than previously. That is to say, there were not as many errors in my opinion. I have not had the opportunity to do a check since your commentary, but will be working on one.

also check the darn DPP threatlist so I can amcheck snipe it >:3

EDIT: I'd actually rather you check Mawile once I'm done with it. A lot more errors that I think I've learned

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought I already did these ~_~ here's for paragragh 5.

Metagross fares very well in OU with With its excellent base 135 base Attack and base 130 base Defense, Metagross is capable of performing very well in OU. being capable of performing well and fares well means differently. (though what most people are saying is that it doesn't fare well but okay that's not the point haha >.>) try not to change the meaning in actual analyses unless they're wrong Being As one of those the few pokemon capitalize who can capable of both it's ideal not to repeat a word that's used previously walling and breaking walls at the same time wall breaking, should be wallbreaking Metagross has possesses an extensive movepool capable of pulling off a multilude that allows it to pull off a multitude of effective sets. Metagross has also been blessed with an excellent defensive dual-typing typing in Steel/Psychic, Steel / Psychic typing flows better, and note the spacing which grants granting it a fantastic number of resistances and a useful neutrality to Fighting, an offensive typing that which plagues most of the many other Steel-types in the tier. It Metagross even has a passable Special Attack stat ,allowing it to run mixed sets to great effect.

Despite Metagross's overall good good overall stats, it is hindered by a less-than-stellar Speed stat. Its typing, while good defensively, leaves it with rather poor coverage STAB moves, possessing little coverage to speak of. Metagross is also vulnerable to the newly improved Gliscor and ,as well as space after comma [s]new threats like[/s] Water types such as Water-types should have a hyphen Jellicent and Rotom-W. In addition, Metagross also despises Ground and Fire attacks, both of which are commonly seen common is fine in the OU tier. Fortunately, Metagross can does have the ability to patch up most of its shortcomings with moves like Agility and Magnet Rise, but both have their flaws; the former cannot be thrown on all sets and requires a dedicated set, while the latter simply doesn't belong has no room to fit in on most, if not all, of Metagross' Metagross's sets. Nonetheless, Metagross is a great choice for any OU team which in needs of an efficacious team player.

With its excellent base 135 Attack and base 130 Defense, Metagross is capable of performing very well in OU. As one of the few pokemon capable of both walling and wall breaking, Metagross possesses an extensive movepool that allows it to pull off a multitude of effective sets. Metagross has also been blessed with an excellent defensive typing in Steel/Psychic, granting it a fantastic number of resistances and a useful neutrality to Fighting, an offensive typing that plagues many other Steel types in the tier. Metagross even has a passable Special Attack stat, allowing it to run mixed sets to great effect.

Despite Metagross' good overall stats, it is hindered by a less-than-stellar Speed stat. Its typing, while good defensively, leaves it with rather poor STAB moves, possessing little coverage to speak of. Metagross is also vulnerable to the newly improved Gliscor, as well as Water types such as Jellicent and Rotom-W. In addition, Metagross despises Ground and Fire attacks, both of which are commonly seen in the OU tier. Metagross does have the ability to patch up most of its shortcomings with moves like Agility and Magnet Rise, but both have their flaws; the former requires a dedicated set, while the latter simply has no room to fit in on most, if not all, of Metagross' sets. Nonetheless, Metagross is a great choice for any OU team that is in need of an efficacious team player.

Well I just thought this would be interesting and gave it a try...
Oh and pokemon0078, I'm pretty sure it would be a better idea to keep "bad", since "shallow" doesn't really have the tone or power necessary for a sentence like that.
Damn, didn't get to completely finish, but this is what I have so far.

Remove
Add
(Comments)

Metagross fares very well in OU with its excellent 135 base Attack and 130 base Defense. Being , being a semicolon and "Metagross is one of..." would flow better :o one of those the few pokemon Pokemon who can wall and break walls at the same time, . (period instead of comma) Metagross has a Metagross's wide movepool and passable Special Attack stat make it good place to shift the mention of passable SpA :) capable of pulling off a multilude multitude of effective sets. Physical and mixed offense, defense, support, and everything in between are possible for Metagross. there's not need to add content here though, and sets are prone to changing Metagross has Steel / Psychic is an excellent defensive dual-typing (the term is "dual typing"), (unnecessary comma) which grants it Metagross a fantastic number of resistances and a useful neutrality to fighting Fighting, which something that plagues most of the other steel types Steel-types in the tier. It even has a passable Special Attack stat to run mixed sets to great effect.

Despite Metagross's overall good stats, it is hindered by a less-than-stellar speed Speed stat. Its typing also leaves it with rather poor coverage for its STAB. Metagross is also vulnerable to the newly improved Gliscor and new threats like Jellicent and Rotom-W has trouble dealing with both old threats that have seen improvement, such as Gliscor, and emerging threats, such as Jellicent and Rotom-W. Metagross also despises Ground and Fire attacks, which are common in the OU tier. Fortunately, Metagross can patch up most of its shortcomings with moves like Agility and Magnet Rise, but the former cannot be thrown on all sets and the latter simply doesn't belong on most of Metagross' sets. Nonetheless, Metagross is a great choice for any OU team which needs an efficacious (consider using the word "effective", as very few users actually know what efficacious means) team player.
Did not do Gato's because he's already on GP :P Sorry for the late reply >.> q_q I'm leaving this thread here for a day before sending it off to Archives. Thanks to all participants :) This thread has served its purpose and I hope you've learnt something new from it too! Once again, the resources linked in the OP are there if you need help with grammar, whether you're an analysis writer or a proofreader. Also, congratulations to all those who made it onto the GP team as well.

This thread will remain open for about a day and feel free to suggest anything regarding this thread or GPing. If you still need help with regards to GPing, feel free to approach me or Jellicent :) Thank you!

edit: locking and moving~

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Ogles

Hello! We're reopening this up because we'd like to give this thread another go! This will be ran the same as last time, so don't worry about anything new! Again, GPers who want to do an answer key can contact me via PM or VM (before you do the answer key x.x)~ Thanks! :)

OH WAIT EDIT:

we will run this like it was before amcheckers would post in the thread for their checks to be looked at. You can still PM / VM us if you want a check looked at, though! :)

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, everyone, here's a paragraph to start this off. Any amateur checkers that want to show their skills should go ahead and take a look at this paragraph, specifically written to see how well you can find common grammatical mistakes this site sees. Don't feel bad about taking a glace at the spelling and grammar standards, though, as there are a lot of errors to find! Make sure that you don't work off of the previous checker's work, also; everyone should do one check of their own from this base paragraph.

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite brought many new Abilities to pokemon. With the advent of drought and SolarPower, Charizard has become a crux for many Sun teams. With it's high special attack, it can become a great Special Wall Breaker. With hazard setters and steel types such as Foretres; Ferrothorn and Skarm very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire Type attacks to deal with them. When wielding a LO in the sun where Charizards Ability, Solar power, is activated, charizard can spam moves like Fire Blast to great affect. Be warned, however as its not all sunshine and daisy's for Charizard. If the opponent has set-up Stealth Rocks on your side of the field Charizard can often not switch-in. Bulky Waters such as Poli and Jelli can easily switch-in on Charizard, especially if the whether is not in it's favour. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a Super-Effective Scald for good damage. Specs Politoad in particular OHKO's Charizard with it's Hydro Pump, even without Rain. Its toptier mons like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in ou. Dont listen to them, though, as if you play to it's strengths it will work wonders for your team.

Also, if everyone can keep their checks hidden by using [.hide][/hide], that would be great so as to give everyone a fair chance at finding the errors without anyone revealing them first. Just delete the period in the first bracket and you're good to go!

EDIT: rewriting prose was not the goal of this first paragraph. I littered it with simple grammar errors, and of course many of the situations described here won't ever happen. Don't focus so much on rewording anything, and just try and find all the errors!

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well i am done.

Edit: Yo, soul fly. Your check is kind of hard to look at. Maybe there's something wrong with your site or whatever, i'd get that fixed. (or maybe it's because the Hide interrupts the color thing?)

ALSO I looked at another check so GG no more editing of this check.

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite brought many new Aabilities to pokemon. With the advent of dDrought and SolarPower, Charizard has become athe crux pfor many Sun teams. With it's high special attack, it can become a great Sspecial Wwall Bbreaker. With hazard setters and steel types such as Forretress; Ferrothorn and Skarmory very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire T-type attacks to deal with them. When wielding a Life Orb in the sun where Charizard's Aability, Solar pPower, is activated, cCharizard can spam moves like Fire Blast to great aeffect. Be warned, however, as it's not all sunshine and daisy'iess for Charizard. If the opponent has set-up Stealth Rocks on your side of the field, Charizard can often cannot switch-in. Bulky Wwaters such as Politoed and Jellicent can easily switch-in on Charizard, especially if the wheather is not in it's favour. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a Ssuper-E effective Scald for good damage. Specs Politoaed in particular OHKO's Charizard with it's Hydro Pump, even without Rain. It's top-tier Pokemons like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in ouOU. Don't listen to them, though, as if you play to it's strengths it will work wonders for your team.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
MISTAKES
CORRECTIONS and ADDITIONS

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite Black & White (BW) has brought many new Abilities to pokemon. With the advent of drought Drought and SolarPower Solar Power, Charizard has become a the crux for many Sun teams. With it's high special attack, it can become a great Special Wall Breaker breaker. With hazard setters and steel types steel-types such as Foretres Forretress; Ferrothorn and Skarm Skarmory very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire Type fire-type attacks to deal with them. When wielding a LO Life Orb in the sun where Charizards Charizard's Ability, Solar power, is activated, charizard Charizard can spam moves like Fire Blast to great affect effect. Be warned, however, as its not all sunshine and daisy's daisies for Charizard. If the opponent has set-up set up Stealth Rocks on your side of the field Charizard can often not switch-in. Bulky Waters Water-types such as Poli and Jelli Politoed and Jellicent can easily switch-in on Charizard, especially if the whether weather is not in it's favour. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a Super-Effective super effective Scald for good damage. Specs Politoad in particular OHKO's OHKOes Charizard with it's Hydro Pump, even without Rain. Its It is toptier mons top tier Pokemon like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in ou OU. Dont Don't listen to them, though, as if you play to it's its strengths it will work wonders for your team.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Decided to have a go at this.

Add
Remove

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite BW brought many new Abilities abilities to pokemon Pokemon. With the advent of drought Drought and SolarPower Solar Power, Charizard has become a the crux for of many Sun teams. With it's its high special attack Special Attack, it can become a great Special Wall Breaker special wallbreaker. With hazard setters and steel types Steel-types, (comma) such as Foretres Forretress;, (comma) Ferrothorn, (comma) and Skarm Skarmory, (comma) being very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire Type Fire-type attacks to deal with them. When wielding a LO Life Orb in the sun where Charizards Charizard's Ability ability, Solar power Power, is activated, charizard Charizard can spam moves like Fire Blast to great affect effect. Be warned, however, (comma) as its it's not all sunshine and daisy's daisies for Charizard. If the opponent has set-up set up Stealth Rocks Rock on your side of the field, (comma) Charizard can often not often can't switch-in switch in. Bulky Waters Water-types such as Poli Politoed and Jelli Jellicent can easily switch-in switch in on Charizard, especially if the whether weather is not in it's its favour favor. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a Super-Effective super effective Scald for good damage. Specs Politoad Choice Specs Politoed in particular OHKO's can OHKO Charizard with it's its Hydro Pump, even without Rain. Its It's toptier top-tier mons Pokemon like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in ou OU. Dont Don't listen to them, though, as; (semi-colon) if you play to it's Charizard's strengths, (comma) it will work wonders for your team.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My first time doing this, I am very excited :D Thank you for this opportunity.

Removals in Red and additions in Blue. I also rearranged and reworded a few phrases if I felt they would work better that way.

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite brought many new Aabilities to pPokemon. With the advent of dDrought and SolarPower, Charizard has become a crux for many Ssun teams. With it's high sSpecial aAttack, it can become a great Sspecial Wwall Bbreaker. With hazard setters and sSteel types such as Forretres;s, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire T-type attacks to deal with them. When wielding a Life Orb in the sun, where Charizard's Aability, Solar pPower, is activated, cCharizard can spam moves like Fire Blast to great aeffect. Be warned, however, as it's not all sunshine and daisy'ies for Charizard. If the opponent has set-up Stealth Rocks on your side of the field, Charizard can often no't switch-i in often. Bulky Water-types such as Politoed and Jellicent can easily switch-in on Charizard, especially if the wheather is not in it's favour. Not only that, but they can also hit Charizard with a Ssuper-E effective Scald for good damage. Specs Politoaed in particular OHKO's Charizard with it's Hydro Pump, even without Rrain. It is toptier Pokemons like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in ouOU. Don't listen to them, though, as if you play to it's strengths it will work wonders for your team.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The shift from DPP to Black and White brought many new Aabilities to pPokemon. With the adventintroduction of dDrought and Solar(add space)Power, Charizard has become a cruxkey player for many Ssun teams. With it's high sSpecial aAttack, it can become a great Sk special Wwalls Breakersily. With entry hazard setters and sSteel -types, such as Forretres;s, (AC) Ferrothorn, (AC) and Skarmory, being very prominent in OU, Charizard can use it's Fire T-type attacks to deal with them.are a very useful asset. [terrible wording] When wielding a Life Orb in the sun, where Charizard's Aability, Solar pPower, is activated, cCharizard can spam moves likesuch as Fire Blast to great aeffect. Be warned, hHowever as its not all sunshine an, (AC) Charizard daisy's for Charizardoes have its flaws. If the opponent has set-up Stealth Rock set up on your side of the field, Charizard can often not switch- in. Bulky Water-types, such as Politoed and Jellicent, can easily switch- in on Charizard, especially if the wheather is not in it's favour. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a Ssuper-E effective Scald for goodheavy [ambiguous] damage. Choice Specs Politoaed in particular OHKO'es Charizard with it's Hydro Pump, even without Rrain. It is top-tier Pokemons like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in ouOU. Don't listen to them, though, as if you play to it's strengths, (AC) it will work wonders for your team.

Gato, did you seriously have to include all of the stupid phrases :/

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
what a grammatical mess:/

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite/W brought many new Aabilities to pokemon. W, and with the advent of dDrought and Solar Power, Charizard has become a crux for many Ssun teams. With it's high sSpecial aAttack, it can become a great Sspecial Wwall Bbreaker. W and with hazard setters and sSteel types such as Forretres;s, Ferrothorn and Skarmory very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire T-type attacks to deal with them easily. When wielding a LOife Orb in the sun where Charizard's Aability, Solar pPower, is activated, cCharizard can spam moves like Fire Blast to great aeffect. Be warned, however, as its not all sunshine and daisy'roses for Charizard. If the opponent has set- up Stealth Rocks on your side of the field, Charizard can often not switch-in. Bulky Water-types such as Politoed and Jellicent can easily switch- in on Charizard, especially if the wheeather is not in it's favour. Not only that, but they also can hit Charizard with a Ssuper-Eeffective Scald for good damage. Specs Politoaded, in particular. OHKO's Charizard with it's Hydro Pump, even without Rrain. Its tTop-tier Pokemons like these that make people thinkbelieve Charizard isn't good in ouOU. Don't listen to them, though, as if you play Charizard to it's strengths, it will work wonders for your team.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Whoa, why didn't anyone tell me about this? :<

Additions are Blue
Removes are Red.

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite brought many new Aabilities to pPokemon. With the advent of dDrought and Solar (space) Power, Charizard has become athe center (don't use crux) for of many Ssun teams. With it's high sSpecial aAttack, it can become a great Sspecial Wwall Bbreaker. With entry hazard setters and sSteel -types, (AC) such as Forretres;s, (AC) Ferrothorn, (AC) and Skarmory, (AC) very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire T-type attacks to deal with them. When wielding a Life Orb in the sun where Charizard's Aability, Solar pPower, is activated, cCharizard can spam moves likesuch as Fire Blast to great aeffect. Be warned, however, (AC) as its not all sthat great for Charizard (Sunshine and daisy'es for Charizarde a no-no). If the opponent has set- up Stealth Rocks on your side of the field, Charizard can often not switch- in. Bulky Waters-type Pokemon, (AC) such as Politoed and Jellicent, (AC) can easily switch- in on Charizard, especially if the wheather is not in it's favour. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a Ssuper-E effective Scald for good damage. Choice Specs Politoad in particular OHKO'es Charizard with it's Hydro Pump, even without Rrain. It's top-tier Pokemons like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in ouOU. Dont listen to them, though, as; if you play to itCharizard's strengths, (AC) it will work wonders for your team.

This is my first am check in at least 5 months lol

ADD
REMOVE

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite BW brought many new Abilities to older Pokemon pokemon. With the advent of drought Drought and SolarPower Solar Power, Charizard has become a crux for many Sun teams. (add comma) and with With it's its high special attack, it can become a great Special Attacking Wallbreaker Wall Breaker. With hazard setters and steel types Steel-types such as Foretres; Forretress (add comma) Ferrothorn and Skarmory being very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire-Type Fire-type attacks to deal with them. When wielding a LO Life Orb in the sun where Charizards Charizard's Ability, Solar power Power, is activated, charizard Charizard can spam moves like such as Fire Blast to great affect effect. Be warned, however (add comma) as its it's not all sunshine and daisy's daises for Charizard. If the opponent has set-up Stealth Rocks on your side of the field (add comma) Charizard can often not switch-in often. In addition (add comma) Bulky Waters such as Poli and Jelli Politoed and Jellicient can easily switch-in on into Charizard, especially if the whether weather is not in it's favour its favor, Not only that, but they can and hit Charizard with a Super-Effective Scald for good damage super effective STAB move. Choice Specs Politoed Politoad in particular OHKO's Charizard with it's Hydro Pump, even without Rain. Its toptier mons like these that This makes many people think Charizard isn't good in ou OU. Don't Don't listen to them, though however, as if you play to it's its strengths (add comma) it will work wonders for your team.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
btw, talked to governess about her check on irc (not sure how much it matters because I'm not official GP but whatever) :/

[17:44] <Governess> That thread was a pretty good test for amateur checkers though
[17:44] <Governess> Didn't even know it existed
[17:45] <+pokemonnumeros> it's been inactive
[17:45] <+pokemonnumeros> for forever
[17:45] <+pokemonnumeros> that's why you didn't know about it
[17:45] <+pokemonnumeros> :/
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> i suggest adding comments at then end of sentences
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> after the period
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> because you're using the diff app
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> the comments get mixed in with the rest of the diff
[17:46] <Governess> Mmm I was gonna do that, but the dumb part of me decided against it
[17:46] <Governess> <.>
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> also
[17:46] <Governess> Ty, I'll keep that in mind for next time
[17:46] * &tennisace (~Justin@oh.you.want.a) Quit (Broken pipe)
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> you missed the misspelling of "Politoed
[17:47] <+pokemonnumeros> "
[17:47] <Governess> O
[17:47] <Governess> Oops
[17:47] <+pokemonnumeros> you also misspelled "Skarmory" when correcting iut
[17:47] <+pokemonnumeros> *it
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> "With the advent of" is another of those bad phrases
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> also "Charizard has become the center for many sun teams"
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> for should be of
[17:48] <Governess> There was a lot of those but Gato said to focus on the grammatical errors more than the phrases itself
[17:48] <Governess> .3.
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> everything else is perfect
[17:48] <Governess> Ty
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> yeah :/
[17:48] * Birkal (Mibbit@synIRC-BF8FDD0E.luther.edu) has joined #grammar
[17:49] <+pokemonnumeros> oh, actually
[17:49] <+pokemonnumeros> there's one more sentence
[17:50] <+pokemonnumeros> "With entry hazard setters and Steel-types, such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire-type attacks to deal with them."
[17:50] <+pokemonnumeros> this is with your corrections; it's still a poorly written sentence
[17:50] <+pokemonnumeros> afterward
[17:51] <Governess> Which part? You mean 'to deal with them"?
[17:51] * Andrew (I.Am@A.Super.Special.Awesome.Brownie) has joined #grammar
[17:51] * BarackObama sets mode: +o Andrew
[17:52] <+pokemonnumeros> everything from "Charizard" to the end of the sentence
[17:52] * kacaw (~jonathanr@synIRC-F013DD3.zoominternet.net) has joined #grammar
[17:52] <Governess> Ooo
[17:52] <+pokemonnumeros> read that out loud
[17:52] * BarackObama sets mode: +h macle
[17:52] <Governess> Yea, youre right; still doesn't make any sense :/

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I WILL BECOME A GPER I SWEAR ON MY GRAVE

+ -

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite BW brought many new Aabilities to pPokemon. With the advent of dDrought and Solar(space) Power, Charizard has become a crux powerful tool for many Ssun teams. With it'(RA)s high sSpecial aAttack, it can become a great Sspecial Wwall(no space)Bbreaker. Charizard can use its Fire-type attacks to deal Wwith the hazard setters and sSteel-types such as Forretress;,(comma instead) Ferrothorn,(AC) and Skarmory which are very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire Type attacks to deal with them. When wielding a Life Orb in the sun,(AC) where Charizard'(AA)s Aability, Solar pPower, is activated, cCharizard can spam moves like Fire Blast to great aeffect. Be warned, however,(AC) as it'(AA)s not all sunshine and daisy'ies for Charizard. If the opponent has set-(space)up Stealth Rocks on your side of the field,(AC) Charizard can often not rarely switch-(space)in. Bulky Water-types such as Politoed and Jellicent can easily switch-(SPACE)in on Charizard, especially if the whether weather is not in it'(RA)s favour. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a Ssuper-(space)Eeffective Scald for good damage. Specs Politoaed in particular OHKO'es Charizard with it'(RA)s Hydro Pump, even without Rrain. It'(AA)s top-tier mons Pokemon like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in ouOU. Don'(AA)t listen to them, though, as if you play to it'(RA)s strengths it will work wonders for your team.

The shift from DPP to BW brought many new abilities to Pokemon. With the advent of Drought and Solar Power, Charizard has become a powerful tool for many sun teams. With its high Special Attack, it can become a great special wallbreaker. Charizard can use its Fire-type attacks to deal with the hazard setters and Steel-types such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory which are very prominent in OU. When wielding a Life Orb in the sun, where Charizard's ability, Solar Power, is activated, Charizard can spam moves like Fire Blast to great effect. Be warned, however, as it's not all sunshine and daisies for Charizard. If the opponent has set up Stealth Rock on your side of the field, Charizard can rarely switch in. Bulky Water-types such as Politoed and Jellicent can easily switch in on Charizard, especially if the weather is not in its favor. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a super effective Scald for good damage. Specs Politoed in particular OHKOes Charizard with its Hydro Pump, even without rain. It's top-tier Pokemon like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in OU. Don't listen to them, though, as if you play to its strengths it will work wonders for your team.

basically only fixed simple spelling errors and stuff as per gato's instructions; would have rewritten the first two sentences in compliance with the spelling and grammar guide but they included errors so it was kinda like gato and redew wanted us to keep them? so i did. will talk to gato tonight to see if i fucked up tho and should have actually rewritten it to be good

Governess

is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
btw, talked to governess about his check on irc (not sure how much it matters because I'm not official GP but whatever) :/

[17:44] <Governess> That thread was a pretty good test for amateur checkers though
[17:44] <Governess> Didn't even know it existed
[17:45] <+pokemonnumeros> it's been inactive
[17:45] <+pokemonnumeros> for forever
[17:45] <+pokemonnumeros> that's why you didn't know about it
[17:45] <+pokemonnumeros> :/
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> i suggest adding comments at then end of sentences
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> after the period
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> because you're using the diff app
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> the comments get mixed in with the rest of the diff
[17:46] <Governess> Mmm I was gonna do that, but the dumb part of me decided against it
[17:46] <Governess> <.>
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> also
[17:46] <Governess> Ty, I'll keep that in mind for next time
[17:46] * &tennisace (~Justin@oh.you.want.a) Quit (Broken pipe)
[17:46] <+pokemonnumeros> you missed the misspelling of "Politoed
[17:47] <+pokemonnumeros> "
[17:47] <Governess> O
[17:47] <Governess> Oops
[17:47] <+pokemonnumeros> you also misspelled "Skarmory" when correcting iut
[17:47] <+pokemonnumeros> *it
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> "With the advent of" is another of those bad phrases
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> also "Charizard has become the center for many sun teams"
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> for should be of
[17:48] <Governess> There was a lot of those but Gato said to focus on the grammatical errors more than the phrases itself
[17:48] <Governess> .3.
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> everything else is perfect
[17:48] <Governess> Ty
[17:48] <+pokemonnumeros> yeah :/
[17:48] * Birkal (Mibbit@synIRC-BF8FDD0E.luther.edu) has joined #grammar
[17:49] <+pokemonnumeros> oh, actually
[17:49] <+pokemonnumeros> there's one more sentence
[17:50] <+pokemonnumeros> "With entry hazard setters and Steel-types, such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire-type attacks to deal with them."
[17:50] <+pokemonnumeros> this is with your corrections; it's still a poorly written sentence
[17:50] <+pokemonnumeros> afterward
[17:51] <Governess> Which part? You mean 'to deal with them"?
[17:51] * Andrew (I.Am@A.Super.Special.Awesome.Brownie) has joined #grammar
[17:51] * BarackObama sets mode: +o Andrew
[17:52] <+pokemonnumeros> everything from "Charizard" to the end of the sentence
[17:52] * kacaw (~jonathanr@synIRC-F013DD3.zoominternet.net) has joined #grammar
[17:52] <Governess> Ooo
[17:52] <+pokemonnumeros> read that out loud
[17:52] * BarackObama sets mode: +h macle
[17:52] <Governess> Yea, youre right; still doesn't make any sense :/
I'm a she ;-; But ok, approving that.

Edit: and good luck Pwnemon! We work towards a common goal, it seems.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh, wow. Some of these checks are really good! A few errors, but still, good! Gato and I have talked over IRC about some of them, and I'm proud to say that these checks are good. Hopefully the answer sheet will help you see any errors!

Great job, guys! Mainly posting to say that the answer sheet will most likely be posted Saturday at some point.

GatoDelFuego

Redew posts a deadline and expects ME to abide by it >_<

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite BW 1 brought many new abilities 2 to pokemon. With the introduction advent 3 of Drought 4 and Solar Power 5, Charizard has become a crux key player 6 for many sun 7 teams. With its 8 high Special Attack 9, it can become a great special wallbreaker 10. With entry 11 hazard setters and Steel-types 12 such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory 13 very prominent in OU, Charizard can use its Fire-type 14 attacks to deal with them. When wielding a Life Orb 15 in the sun where Charizard's 16 ability 17, Solar Power 18, is activated, Charizard 19 can spam moves like Fire Blast to great effect 20. Be warned, however, 21 as it's 22 not all sunshine and daisy's not all perfect 23 for Charizard. If the opponent has set up 24 Stealth Rocks 25 on your side of the field Charizard can often not switch in 26. Bulky Water-types 27 such as Politoed and Jellicent 28 can easily switch in 29 on Charizard, especially if the weather 30 is not in its 31 favor 32. Not only that, but they can hit Charizard with a super effective 33 Scald for good damage. Choice 34 Specs Politoad in particular OHKOes 35 Charizard with its 36 Hydro Pump, even without rain 37. It's 38 top-tier 39 Pokemon 40 like these that make people think Charizard isn't good in OU. 41 Don't 42 listen to them, though, as if you play to its 43 strengths it will work wonders for your team.

1. Generations are abbreviated by RBY, GSC, ADV, DPP, and BW, not anything else. BlackWhite isn't a word!
  2. Abilities is not capitalized
  3. "With the advent" has become somewhat of a banned phrase. This sentence places a lot of stress on generation changes, which are to be avoided. However, this would count as a prose revision, which I wasn't really looking for this time
  4. The abilities themselves are always capitalized
  5. SolarPower isn't a word
  6. Crux is another banned word, for many reasons. It's unintuitive, usually pointless fluff, and is very unoriginal. It can be easily replaced like I've done here
  7. Sun, rain, sand, and hail are never capitalized as field effects, though the moves Sandstorm, Hail, Rain Dance, and Sunny Day are
  8. Its is possessive, whereas it's means "it is"
  9. Stats are always capitalized
  10. When talking about "physical or special", don't capitalize it, such as when saying "special wall", and wallbreaker is a coined non-capitalized term; one word
  11. Entry hazards, never just "hazards"
  12. Types are always done as capitals with a -type following, such as Grass-type
  13. A combination of spelling errors, abbreviations, commas instead of semicolons in a list like this, and the use of no serial comma (an "optional" third comma in a list Smogon enforces
  14. -type again
  15. Don't use abbreviations in analyses
  16. Possessive apostrophe
  17. Capitalization
  18. Same
  19. Same
  20. "Affect" and "effect" are difficult to explain, you can find out about it here
  21. A comma should usually follow however, except in rare cases
  22. It's and its again
  23. Sunshines and daises is one of those bad phrases again!
  24. set-up is an adjective; "a set-up Slamence" means a Pokemon that has boosted up already. Setup, set up, and set-up are all different and explained in the standards better!
  25. Stealth Rocks is not a term
  26. Switch-in is a noun, such as "Jellicent makes a great switch-in to Charizard". Switch in means something switching in
  27. "Bulky waters" is not a phrase, it should always be Water-types
  28. Capitalization
  29. Again, switch in
  30. Weather and whether are different, weather is the atmospheric, rainy type
  31. Its again
  32. Favor is an Americanized spelling of favour, color and defense are preferred to colour and defence, likewise
  33. Super effective is neither hyphenated nor capitalized ever
  34. Abbreviations: always use the full item name!
  35. OHKO's is not a term; OHKOs is the plural form of "OHKO", while OHKOes means something can OHKO another Pokemon
  36. Its
  37. Weather is not capitalized
  38. It's
  39. Toptier isn't a word!
  40. Capitalization
  41. Tiers are always capitalized
  42. Contractions always use apostrophes
  43. Its one more time
As you can probably tell, this paragraph was worded very badly. A lot of the fixes suggested could have been made by changing the wording (actually, completely rewriting!) of the analysis. Something with phrasing this bad would never be allowed on-site even with the grammatical changes! However, my goal for this paragraph was to just see exactly how many errors you could pick out. Things may be switched up a bit for the future paragraphs. Me and Redew may also go back through everyone's submissions and go over them, but all the answers are here!

atsync

Is there any reason why "pokemon" isn't capitalized in the first sentence?

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
My slow friend missed something!

The shift from DPP to BlackWhite BW 1 brought many new abilities 2 to pPokemon.
Pokemon should always be capitalized.

Anyways, here's the new thing to check:

HTML:
Politoed

[hide][SET]

Name: choice toed
Move 1: Hydro pump
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Focis blast
Move 4: hp [grass]
Item: choice specs
Ability: drizle
Nature: modest
Evs: 252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Spe
Ivs: 31/30/31/30/31/31[/hide]

Keldeo

[hide][SET]
name: Choice Scarf
Move 1: Surf
Move 2: Hydro pump
Move 3: Hidden Power [Ice]
Move 4: secret Swrd
Item: Choice scarf
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP[/hide]

Treecko

[hide][SET]
name: attacking lead
move 1: LEaf storm
move 2: Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Quick Attack
Item: Eviolite / Focus Sash
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Hasty / Naïve
Evs: 36 HP / 240 SpA / 200 Spe[/hide]

Swampert

[hide][set]
name: Endeavor
move: Endeavor
move: Sub
move: Hydro Pump / surf
move: IceBeam
item: Salac Berry
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe[/hide]

Tauros

[hide][SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Hyper Beam
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Blizzard [/hide]
(Just c/p the things in the code into another post and work from there.) This week we'll be doing some sets for you to look at. Not a lot, but there are a lot of errors. We'll probably leave these open for about three to four days depending on how many people do these. AND I'LL BE ON TIME THANKS

tehy

Banned deucer.
Cool, but that doesn't solve what to do about Toed. I just did what I had to do there, but i'm unsure, since Set Titles are usually semi-immune to GP.
I mean, it tells me what to do with Choice, but... not Toed.
Politoed
[SET]

N
name: cChoice Specs Politoed
Mmove 1: Hydro pPump
Mmove 2: Ice Beam
Mmove 3: Focis bus Blast
Mmove 4: hp [gHidden Power Grass]
I

item: cChoice sSpecs
Ability: drizle
N
nature: mModest
Eevs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Spe
Ivs: 31/30/31/30/31/31

Keldeo
[SET]
Mmove 1: Surf
Mmove 2: Hydro pPump
Mmove 3: Hidden Power [Ice]
M

move 4: sSecret Sword
Iitem: Choice sScarf
Nnature: Timid
Eevs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Treecko
[SET]
name: aAttacking lLead
move 1: LEeaf sStorm
Iitem: Eviolite / Focus Sash
Aability: Overgrow
Nnature: Hasty / Naïve
Eevs: 36 HP / 240 SpA / 200 Spe

Swampert
[set]
move 1: Endeavor
move 2: Sub
move 3: Hydro Pump / sSurf
move 4: IceBeam
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Tauros
[SET]
move 4: Blizzard

Jukain

!_!
Politoed

[SET]

N
name: cChoice toed
M
Specs
m
ove 1: Hydro pPump
Mmove 4: hp [grass]
I
Hidden Power Grass
i
tem: cChoice sSpecs
Aability: dDrizzle
Nnature: mModest
Eevs: 252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Spe
(add space)/(add space)252 SpA(add space)/(add space)4 Spe
[hidden power ivs aren't included unless they're distinct from the standard]

Keldeo

[SET]
M

m
ove 4: sSecret Sword
Eevs: 252 SpA/4 HP(space)/(space)252 SpA(add space)/(add space)252 Spe/4 HP

Treecko

[SET]
move 1: LEeaf storm
Nnature: Hasty / Naïive
Eevs: 36 HP / 240 SpA / 200 Spe

Swampert

[setSET]
move 2: Substitute
move 4: Ice(add space)Beam

Tauros

[SET]
[if this was a gen 5 analysis, then item, ability, nature, and evs would be needed, but it's for rby]

atsync

Add
Remove
Comments

[SET]
Name name: choice toed Choice Specs
Move move 1: Hydro pump Pump
Move move 2: Ice Beam
Move move 3: Focis blast Focus Blast
Move move 4: hp [grass] Hidden Power Grass
Item item: choice specs Choice Specs
Ability ability: drizle Drizzle
Nature nature: modest Modest
Evs evs: 252 HP(add space)/(add space)252 SpAtk(add space)/(add space)4 Spe
Ivs: 31/30/31/30/31/31 (I don't think ivs need to be listed in this case)

[SET]
Move move 1: Surf
Move move 2: Hydro pump Pump
Move move 3: Hidden Power [Ice] (no brackets around Hidden Power type)
Move move 4: secret Swrd Secret Sword
Item item: Choice scarf Scarf
Nature nature: Timid
Evs evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA(add space)/(add space)252 Spe/4 HP (reordered evs)

[SET]
name: attacking lead Attacking Lead
move 1: LEaf storm Leaf Storm
Item item: Eviolite / Focus Sash
Ability ability: Overgrow
Nature nature: Hasty / Naïve Naive (don't spell "naive" with the diaeresis)
Evs evs: 36 HP / 240 SpA / 200 Spe

[setSET]
move 2: Sub Substitute
move 3: Hydro Pump / surf Surf
move 4: IceBeam Ice Beam

(apparently this is from 3rd gen so no need to worry about ability I guess)

[SET]
move 4: Blizzard(gonna assume that this is from RBY, in which case it doesn't need item, ability, nature, evs, or ivs)

Governess

Politoed

[SET]

Nname: cChoice toed
M
Specs
m
ove 1: Hydro pPump
Mmove 4: hp [gHidden Power Grass]
I

i
tem: cChoice sSpecs
Aability: dDrizzle
Nnature: mModest
E

e
vs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk/ / 4 Spe
(Space needs to be added between them)
(IVs should'nt be shown unless it is specific to the set [outside of Hidden Power]) (Capitalization must be consistent for Pokemon moves / names)

Keldeo

[SET]
M
(No [] )
m
ove 4: sSecret Sword
Eevs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe/4 (It's HP first, then SpA, then Spe.)

Treecko

[SET]
move 1: LEeaf sStorm
Nnature: Hasty / Naïve
E
ive (No ï )
e
vs: 36 HP / 240 SpA / 200 Spe (Erm, this doesn't add to 508.. Would it be 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe, or something of the sort?)

Swampert

[setSET]
move 2: Substitute
move 4: Ice Beam
ability: Torrent (Most likely)

Tauros

[SET]

Mmk, going for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)