Growlithe (BW2 Revamp) [QC 3/3] (GP 2/2)

Alright so I think blara approved and Woodchuck allowed me to take over so i'm on this right now. Just taking Woodchuck's skeleton and may expound a bit on it as I tested Growlithe quite a bit. I'm not sure that iss' QC check counts after the changes though.
---

Send in the K-9 unit!

Current Stage: In the process of typing up
QC: iss, Hawkstar, Chrarmander
GP: None, None

[Overview]

<p>With piercing eyes and a nose that can sniff out its prey from miles away, Growlithe comes into this metagame with the same cocky smirk it has always had. Growlithe is a rather unappreciated Fire-type simply for the reason that it's outclassed by every other Fire-type available. Ponyta and Darumaka are better physical attackers, and Houndour is a better special attacker. Even as a wall, it still faces trouble due to Fire being a bad defensive typing. However, Growlithe is an excellent defensive check to physical attackers thanks to the combination of Intimidate and Will-o-Wisp, which provides a double Attack drop for threats that stay in. Don't underestimate Growlithe, because his bite is worse than his bark.</p>

[SET]
name: Pivot
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Wild Charge / Return
move 3: Morning Sun
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
item: Eviolite
ability: Intimidate
nature: Careful
evs: 116 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Intimidate, Growlithe can be a decent defensive pivot for some teams. Sadly, it doesn't have much of a good movepool to back up its amazing ability in Intimidate, though it does have good coverage in Flare Blitz and Wild Charge. Another option over Wild Charge is Return, which lets Growlithe dent Chinchou, at the expense of some super effective hits that Wild Charge grants. Morning Sun is on Growlithe to give it some form of recovery and prevent it from being worn down. Lastly, Will-O-Wisp helps you burn the physical attacking threats that Growlithe can wall such as Croagunk and bulky Mienfoo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV investment lets Growlithe cover both physical and special attacks with defensive stats of 22 HP / 19 Def / 22 SpD with Intimidate to back it up. The rest of the EVs are placed in Attack to damage the opponent as much as possible with Growlithe's STAB and coverage move. Growlithe is greatly troubled by Stealth Rock, making a spinner almost mandatory when including Growlithe on your team. Staryu works best here because it also helps Growlithe deal with Ground- and Rock-types. Growlithe is also rather weak to sand teams; as Snover hampers Growlithe's recovery, Shroomish instead works as an excellent partner to Growlithe to check sand teams without hampering its recovery.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Growlithe can't really do much without being outclassed by another Fire-type. Flash Fire can help if you are weak to Fire-types, but it faces massive competition from Ponyta in that role. Flame Charge can also be used to increase Growlithe's Speed and attempt to sweep, but Growlithe's niche is defensive, not offensive. Sunny Day can also help to increase the power of Flare Blitz and improve Morning Sun's recovery, while possibly stopping opposing sand teams. Lastly, Flamethrower and Fire Blast are viable but weaker attacking options should you dislike Flare Blitz's recoil or wish to attack physically defensive threats more effectively.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Growlithe isn't that hard to counter, as it is rather weak. There are several Water-types that can survive a Wild Charge and retaliate back with a super effective Water-type move. The Pokemon that stands out here is Chinchou, which is immune to Wild Charge and resistant to Flare Blitz. Growlithe also struggles against sand teams, as it is weak to Earthquake. Stone Edge Mienfoo may surprise Growlithe attempting to wall it. Lastly, Timburr can set up on Growlithe while gaining a boost from Will-O-Wisp thanks to Guts.</p>

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Could a defensive set work? Intimidate, WoW, Morning Sun, and Eviolite sounds like a good idea, with the merit over Ponyta is Intimidate. Ofc, haven't tried it out yet, but just throwing it out there.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
I think you should add a bulky offensive pivot(intimidate) set. Also add CB since its the only varient that can secure the 2HKO on most bulky waters like slowpoke. Meybe try a mixed set w/ F-Blast/Hidden Power/CC/Wild Charge

CB is really redundant, and a mixed set just sounds bad honestly. I can test the defensive pivot version though.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm just wondering, does Growlithe need a full revamp? I can't see anything significant that it has gained, and it's not as if the metagame shifted vastly with BW2. IMO a quick SCMS edit changing the main item to Life Orb and shuffling the set a little would be easier and just as effective.

On topic to the thread, a Life Orb will secure the 2HKO on Slowpoke after Stealth Rock damage 100% of the time, and 2HKO without Stealth Rock approximately 12% of the time. As such, Choice Band doesn't really help it enough to justify not being able to switch attacks, and being locked into Wild Charge is awful in Little Cup, as it opens up Drilbur and Sandshrew to set up and quite possibly sweep your team.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is offensive Growlithe really worth it? I just don't see how it has any advantages over Ponyta, which completely outclasses it BST-wise. Close Combat doesn't really hit anything notable, considering how rare Rock-types are in this metagame. If anything, a defensive set is probably the best choice, as Intimidate gives it a small niche over Ponyta.

A defensive set is being tested. I'll remove Offensive as no one seems to like it.

EDIT: Removed Offensive and replace it with a Pivot set.

I'm a fan of a Life Orb Flame Charge set...Gengan, I want you to test it for me in this meta, since you are free labor.

Growlithe (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 36 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge

Test it with Eviolite too please. It's the only thing I can think of for Growlithe that isn't horrendously outclassed by Ponyta, and as such is the only thing I'd honestly allow on the analysis.

free labor :c

I'll test it a bit, but even that set seems outclassed by Ponyta.
Close Combat's lack of recoil and more reliable manner of dispatching Scraggy and Rock-type Pokemon along with Intimidate differentiate it. The Growlithe set must have Close Combat.

I think in all honesty it's better with Eviolite than Life Orb. It's actually kind of cool.

I know I was supposed to be testing this and stuff but you can pass it onto someone who's more interested in it. I'm extremely busy and probably will take a bit longer to finish Archen, and there's no way I can get to Growlithe if I'm still this swamped.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
boom
(i'm taking this over)
upon initial testing LO flame charge Growlithe is interesting but appears to die quickly and hates priority / drilbur. maybe good for cleanup sweeping, so i'll work on a team to support it.

definitely slash Return with Wild Charge. Being able to hit Chinchou is awesome, and being able to do damage without taking recoil is equally awesome. Growlithe can even kinda deal with Murkrow if you can Intimidate it, and being able to break its subs without hurting yourself is something you want, and hitting Dragons is awesome too. Wild Charge is probably better but Return deserves a slash

Alright im taking over this thread due to it being rather inactive (i got approval). Im not on computer now but i will add stuff to it and it will be re-ready for QC checks! Will do a write up after two QC checks

Mention Scarf Porygon as a teammate to handle Sand, Growlithe can force Fighting-types not named Timburr out because of the Att Drop and risk of WoW. MB Drilbur can also help in spinning as it apreciates the opposing team burned and can defeat all rock-types.

Just my thoughts :).

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The only thing I'd like to say is to remove mentions of using Flash Fire. Without Intimidate, Growlithe is Ponyta lite version, down to running almost the exact same set, which is what we are trying to avoid.

Good stuff, go ahead and write it up!

[qc]2/2[/qc]

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Amcheck :)
ADD
REMOVE
COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

<p>With piercing eyes and a nose that can sniff out its prey from miles away, Growlithe comes into this metagame with the same cocky smirk it has always had. Growlithe is a rather unappreciated Fire-type simply for the reason that it's outclassed by every other Fire-type available. Ponyta and Darumaka are better physical attackers, and Houndour is a better special attacker. Even as a wall, (RC) it still faces trouble, (AC) as a wall sometimes thanks to Fire being a bad defensive typing. However, Growlithe is an excellent defensive check to physical attackers thanks to the combination of Intimidate and Will-oO-Wisp, which provides a double Attack drop for threats that stay in. Don't underestimate Growlithe, because his bite is worse than his bark.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Will-oO-Wisp

[SET COMMENTS]
Add Line
<p>Thanks to Intimidate, Growlithe can be a decent defensive pivot for some teams. Sadly, it doesn't have much of a good movepool to back up its amazing ability: (Add Colon) in Intimidate. He can force a switch with Intimidate, and use his good coverage of Flare Blitz and Wild Charge to hit the incoming switch in. Another option over Wild Charge is Return. (RP), (AC) as Return lets Growlithe dent Chinchou. Sadly, it will have a lot more neutral coverage than super effective coverage with Return. Return has more neutral coverage, while Wild charge has more super effective coverage. Morning Sun is on gives Growlithe to give it some form of recovery, which prevents it from being worn down by the Pokemon it is supposed to wall. Lastly, Will-O-Wisp helps you Burn the physically attacking threats that you Growlithe can walls, such as Croagunk and Bulky Mienfoo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV investment lets Growlithe cover tank both physical and special attacks with a stat spread of 19 Def / 22 SDef by reaching 19 Defense and 22 Special Defense with Intimidate to back it up. The rest of the EVs are placed in the Attack stat to damage hit the opponent as much hard as possible with its STAB and its coverage move. Growlithe faces a lot of issues with Stealth Rock, (RC). (AP) tThis means a spinner is nearly necessary compulsory when including using Growlithe ion your team. Staryu is the main best spinner that works here because it also helps Growlithe deal with Ground- (Hyphen) and Rock-types, something Growlithe struggles against. Growlithe is also rather weak to sand teams. While Snover hampers Growlithe's recovery, Shroomish works as an excellent partner to Growlithe as it can easily check sand teams without hampering his recovery. Growlithe, Staryu, and Shroomish can form a good Fire-Water-Grass core. </p>

[Other Options]
Add Line
<p>Growlithe can't really do a lot of things without being outclassed by another Fire-Type. First of all, (AC) Flash Fire can help if you are weak to Fire-types, but it faces massive competition from Ponyta in that role. Flame Charge can also be used to increase your speed but Growlithe's only niche is in the defensive field and Flame Charge doesn't help to sufficiently improve Growlithe's job at that niche, therefore not being viable enough to receive its own moveslot. so that doesn't really work out very much. (Feel free to put that into your own words) Sunny Day can also help to increase the power of Flare Blitz and give it more recovery in with Morning Sun, while possibly stopping opposing sand teams. Lastly, Flamethrower and Fire Blast can be used over Flare Blitz but it is they are rather weak and they don't really stay in after Intimidate. (I have no clue of what you were trying to say there. Don't remove it if you feel you could reword it to get your point across.)</p>

[Checks and Counters]
Add Line
<p>Growlithe isn't that hard to counter as it is rather weak. A good amount of Water-types can live a Wild Charge and retaliate back with a super- (Remove Hyphen)effective Water-type move. The Pokemon that stands out here is Chinchou, who is immune to Wild Charge and is resistant to Flare Blitz. Growlithe also struggles against sand teams as he is weak to Earthquake, and they lessen the amount Morning Sun will recover. Stone Edge Mienfoo may surprise a Growlithe who thinks he can come in on bulky Vvariants. Lastly, Timburr can set-up on it, while also getting taking a boost from Will-O-Wisp thanks to Guts.</p>

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>With piercing eyes and a nose that can sniff out its prey from miles away, Growlithe comes into this metagame with the same cocky smirk it has always had. Growlithe is a rather unappreciated Fire-type simply for the reason that it's outclassed by every other Fire-type available. Ponyta and Darumaka are better physical attackers, and Houndour is a better special attacker. Even as a wall, it still faces trouble as a wall sometimes thanks to Fire being a bad defensive typing. However, Growlithe is an excellent defensive check to physical attackers thanks to the combination of Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp, which provides a double Attack drop for threats that stay in. Don't underestimate Growlithe, because his bite is worse than his bark.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Will-O-Wisp

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Intimidate, Growlithe can be a decent defensive pivot for some teams. Sadly, it doesn't have much of a good movepool to back up its amazing ability in Intimidate, though it does have good coverage in Flare Blitz and Wild Charge. He can force a switch with Intimidate, and use his good coverage of Flare Blitz and Wild Charge. Another option over Wild Charge is Return, which Return lets Growlithe dent Chinchou. Sadly, it will have a lot more neutral coverage than super effective coverage with Return. Morning Sun is on Growlithe to give it some form of recovery, which prevents it from being worn down by the Pokemon it is supposed to wall. Lastly, Will-O-Wisp helps you burn the physical attacking threats that Growlithe can wall such as Croagunk and bulky Mienfoo.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV investment lets Growlithe cover both physical and special attacks with a stat spread of 19 Def / 22 SpD with Intimidate to back it up. The rest of the EVs are placed in the Attack stat to damage the opponent as much as possible with its STAB and its coverage move. Growlithe faces a lot of issues with Stealth Rock, which means a spinner is nearly necessary when including Growlithe on your team. Staryu is the main spinner that works here because it also helps Growlithe deal with Ground- and Rock-types, something Growlithe struggles against. Growlithe is also rather weak to sand teams. While Snover hampers Growlithe's recovery, Shroomish works as an excellent partner to Growlithe as it can check sand teams without hampering its recovery. Growlithe, Staryu, and Shroomish can form a good Fire-Water-Grass core. </p>

[Other Options]

<p>Growlithe can't really do a lot of things without being outclassed by another Fire-type. First of all, Flash Fire can help if you are weak to Fire-types, but Growlithe faces massive competition from Ponyta in that role. Flame Charge can also be used to increase Growlithe's Speed, but Growlithe's only niche is in the defensive field so that doesn't really work out very much. Sunny Day can also help to increase the power of Flare Blitz and give more recovery in Morning Sun, while possibly stopping opposing sand teams. Lastly, Flamethrower and Fire Blast can be used over Flare Blitz but it is rather weak and they don't really stay in after Intimidate.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Growlithe isn't that hard to counter as it is rather weak. A good amount of Water-types can survive a Wild Charge and retaliate back with a super effective Water-type move. The Pokemon that stands out here is Chinchou, who is immune to Wild Charge and is resistant to Flare Blitz. Growlithe also struggles against sand teams as it is weak to Earthquake. Stone Edge Mienfoo may surprise Growlithe coming in on a predicted bulky variant who thinks he can come in on bulky Variants. Lastly, Timburr can set-up on it while gaining taking a boost from Will-O-Wisp thanks to Guts.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)