Pokémon Guzzlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Celticpride, TDK, and bludz have approved of me posting about this fatmon

NAME //

Guzzlord
---
TYPE //

Dark / Dragon
---
POKÉDEX # //

799, a.k.a.: UB-05 Glutton
---
BASE STATS //

HP // 233
Atk // 101
Def // 53
SpA // 97
SpD // 53
Spe // 43
---
ABILITY //

Beast Boost | The Pokémon's highest stat (excluding HP) is boosted when it KOes a Pokémon.
note: all three of guzzlord's ability slots are occupied with beast boost.
---
LEVEL UP MOVES //

1 // Belch
1 // Wide Guard
1 // Swallow
1 // Stockpile
1 // Dragon Rage
1 // Bite
7 // Stomp
13 // Brutal Swing
19 // Steamroller
23 // Dragon Tail
29 // Iron Tail
31 // Stomping Tantrum
37 // Crunch
43 // Hammer Arm
47 // Thrash
53 // Gastro Acid
59 // Heavy Slam
67 // Wring Out
73 // Dragon Rush
---
TECHNICAL MACHINE [TM] MOVES //

TM02 // Dragon Claw

TM06 // Toxic

TM10 // Hidden Power

TM15 // Hyper Beam

TM17 // Protect

TM21 // Frustration

TM23 // Smack Down

TM26 // Earthquake

TM27 // Return

TM31 // Brick Break

TM32 // Double Team

TM34 // Sludge Wave

TM35 // Flamethrower

TM36 // Sludge Bomb

TM38 // Fire Blast

TM39 // Rock Tomb

TM42 // Facade

TM44 // Rest

TM46 // Thief

TM48 // Round

TM56 // Fling

TM59 // Brutal Swing

TM65 // Shadow Claw

TM66 // Payback

TM68 // Giga Impact

TM71 // Stone Edge

TM74 // Gyro Ball

TM78 // Bulldoze

TM80 // Rock Slide

TM82 // Dragon Tail

TM84 // Poison Jab

TM88 // Sleep Talk

TM90 // Substitute

TM95 // Snarl

TM97 // Dark Pulse
---
EGG MOVES //

N/A
---
GUZZLORD ANALYSIS //

guzzlord is a bit of an anomaly. it has an insanely high base hp (the third-highest in the entire game, behind only blissey and chansey) and respectable offenses, but is saddled with poor defenses and even poorer speed. that being said, its typing, while shared with hydreigon, gives it fortuitous resistances to fire-, water-, grass-, electric-, ghost-, and dark-type attacks in exchange for a 4x weakness to fairy-type moves and regular weaknesses to fighting-, bug-, ice-, and dragon-type attacks.
---
POTENTIAL MOVESETS //

tank (haphazard) //
Guzzlord @ Expert Belt / Leftovers | Beast Boost
Modest | 56 Def / 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 148 Spe
• Draco Meteor
• Dark Pulse
• Fire Blast
• Sludge Bomb

description // s/outs to Bluwing for giving me the initial set, which i then tinkered with.

guzzlord may have an odd stat distribution, but it most certainly can run a tanky set thanks to its titanic hp. the moves are all standard fare, and the modest nature + ev investment ensures that guzzlord gets a special attack boost from beast boost each time it koes a pokémon. the speed evs give guzzlord enough speed to creep 0 speed tyranitar and anything slower. the remaining evs were split between defense and special defense to optimize guzzlord's bulk as much as possible. expert belt + the ev investment + a modest nature makes guzzlord hit decently had while leftovers and assault vest make guzzlord even tankier.
---
PERSONAL OPINION //

as i mentioned earlier, guzzlord is a bit of an anomaly. its typing + bulk gives it a bit of a niche as a tank, but at the same time, the lack of reliable recovery apart from rest cuts quite a bit into its durability. it's up to time to see where guzzlord lands on the tier list. while it may not be the best of the ultra beasts, it is surprisingly adorable.

Last edited:

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you've listed its special attack as 193, while it's actually 97.
kids, this is why you don't post massive ops while sleepy. thanks for the catch!

to keep this post on-topic, has anyone found success with a more physical variant of guzzlord?

This thing would have been one of the best AV users if it had a Drain Punch equivalent and a better movepool ;-;

Seems to me like a much worse Zygarde 100%, but it is still not a bad mon.

This thing is... bizarre. While Hydreigon's 4x Fairy weakness wasn't a deal breaker, now there are TONS of good offensive Fairy pokemon. But, perhaps that's what Gyro Ball is best for.

Guzzlord @ Chesto Berry/Leftovers
Beast Boost
Relaxed/Sassy 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Atk IVs: 17
Spe IVs: 0
- Gyro Ball/Heavy Slam/Snarl/Stockpile/Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Rest

I don't know I'm just spitballing here. But if you max a defensive stat with a +Nature and drop your Atk IVs to 17 you can have it so a defense stat goes up upon a KO if you wish. With your absurd HP it needs no investment compared to your defenses but you can max that out too I guess. But if going Stockpile it raises your defensive capabilities insanely fast. Some comination of Rest and Dragon Tail shuffling with Toxic+Steel move for Fairy types. Having trouble thinking of much else.

I tried using Guzzlord on a Trick Room team and it was pretty alright. When it's moving first, it can really take advantage of its great coverage and Beast Boost. Beast Boost is a great ability for a Trick Room sweeper, especially for one with great coverage. Much like its cousin Hydreigon it can pick and choose moves to give it few switch-ins, especially after a boost. I used Draco Meteor + Dark Pulse + Sludge Wave + Fire Blast, but it could feasibly run options like Heavy Slam for special defensive fairies, Hammer Arm for Chansey, Earthquake for Heatran and Nihilego, etc. That great coverage and Beast Boost is what differentiates it from similar slow Dragon nukes like Dragalge, who has a much higher damage output but is more suited for hit and run tactics.

Just going to quote myself here from the metagame discussion thread

Just a little tidbit for those wondering how Guzzlord's lopsided defensive stats shake out - uninvested with neutral natures, 223 HP / 53 (S)Def is roughly the equivalent of a mon with 102 HP /102 (S)Def. With 252/252+ investment, it's the equivalent of 252/252+ 108/108. It is by no means frail.
While it's not the most efficient defensive stat spread due to how lopsided it is (108/108/108 would have yielded the same bulk with investment AND better bulk uninvested for less BST) it's still plenty bulky

Guzzlord would've been an absolutely monstrous staller if only it had a recovery move other than Swallow. I saw the idea of Z-Stockpile and tossed around in the old discussion thread, but Guzzlord's godawful speed means there's no way it's going to get it off before something tears a huge strip off of its HP unless you get a really good switch-in - and with everyone and their mother running at least one of Guzzlord's many weaknesses (especially Fairy) just for coverage purposes, that isn't happening. I'm also not sold on the idea of RestTalk because Guzzlord's movepool is too good to restrict its attacking moves to two slots. A staller, it ain't.

Guzzlord @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpA / 108 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

One look at this thing's HP and movepool told me that Guzzlord was just begging for an Assault Vest, letting it take an absurd amount of pain while Beast Boost does the rest.

252+ SpA Tapu Bulu Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 108 SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord: 480-568 (73.8 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
148+ SpA Guzzlord Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 340-400 (98.8 - 116.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Bare in mind this is from the current metagame Fairy's Moonblast, doing 4x damage to Guzzlord; everything else SE that isn't Fairy wouldn't even do half of its HP, and NE wouldn't even do a quarter. This thing is an amazing Special tank with the Vest. It can almost even take a Moonblast from the strongest Fairy in the series with max investment.

252+ SpA Gardevoir-Mega Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord: 576-676 (88.6 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

I will also echo readytolose's idea to use Guzzlord in a Trick Room. Get a Quiet nature and drop the Speed IV to 0, then go to town. The Vest is even there if something goes terribly wrong.

EDIT: Oops, I only now realized that not only is Tapu Bulu not the main metagame Fairy, but Tapu Lele actually hits harder with Moonblast than Mega Gardevoir. Tapu Lele with lots of investment can oneshot max-SpD-invested Guzzlord. Welp.

Last edited:
I really like this pokemon even though Hydregon does most of what it can do better. There a few sets that pretty decent. Rest+Stockpile+Dragon Tail+payback. Its lack of boosting moves really hinders it. If it had Bulk up or Calm mind could have been quite a bit better. AV sets are good to and this pokemon can run a effective Choice Band set with Payback or Crunch/Heavy Slam/ Earthquake with the last slot being Dragon Rush or Dragon Claw. It has great movepool in terma of coverage and can do quite a bit of damage once its ability activates.

I think a late-game slooooow bulky wincon could work, with a set somewhat like this:

Guzzlord @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Def / 4 SpD - A specially defensive spread could also be used, of course.
Adamant Nature
- Stockpile
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw / Dragon Tail
- Hammer Arm / Poison Jab / Fire Blast / Rest

After a Stockpile, Guzzlord will pack 587 HP and 307 Defense, enough to easily tank any non-Fairy physical attack in the late-game. Do not attempt to set up until threats that can take it out after a boost, such as fairy types, Pheromosa and offensive Garchomp, and thigns that can stall it out like Toxapex, have been dealt with. With these conditions met, Guzzlord will easily be able to sit there and set up three Stockpiles, giving it 512 Defense and 357 Special Defense. Once you are unbreakable, simply Crunch or Dragon Claw everything you see.

Dragon Tail is slashed in in case a bulky boosting mon wants to try and surpass your defenses, forcing the potential threat away and hopefully racking up entry hazard damage too. The last slot is up to personal preference and is generally pretty specific; Hammer Arm hits Blissey and steels, more specifically dealing with Bisharp and hitting Ferrothorn for a nice chunk, while Poison Jab gets rid of any Fairies left (although facing them even with boosted defenses is inadvisable). Fire Blast hits Celesteela hard, 2HKOs Ferrothorn guaranteed (outside of Rain) and will OHKO non-mega Scizor after Stealth Rocks. If your STAB moves alone are enough for your wincon and you feel your team can deal with these before you set up, go for Rest to maximise longevity. After netting one KO, Beast Boost will give you 496 Attack and from there it's most likely GG.

-----

Alternatively, you could go for a specially-based set like this:

Guzzlord @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD - A specially defensive spread could also be used, of course.
Modest Nature
- Stockpile
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast / Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb / Dark Pulse / Rest.

Remove Blissey, Toxapex and other difficult special walls and then set up your Stockpiles. Dragon Pulse has great neutral coverage, while Fire Blast hits steels like Genesect, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Bisharp and Celesteela. Dark Pulse is a strong secondary STAB and hits Mega Metagross, specially defensive Jirachi, Heatran and Aegislash harder than Fire Blast or Dragon Pulse, but is generally unnecessary. Sludge Bomb hits Fairies but is only if you have no other option, as even a boosted Guzzlord does not enjoy taking fairy-type attacks. Finally, Rest gives Guzzlord serious longevity, especially on Rocky Helmet sets which lack passive recovery, and cures Toxic status. Beast Boost will enable a steamrolling cleanup of the opponent's team after a single KO (at which point Guzzlord will be hitting from 483 Special Attack), making it a great wincon.

252 SpA Mega Alakazam Dazzling Gleam vs. +1 0 HP / 252 SpD Guzzlord: 248-292 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. +1 0 HP / 252 SpD Guzzlord: 424-504 (72.2 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Guzzlord: 377-447 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. +1 0 HP / 252 Def Guzzlord: 265-312 (45.1 - 53.1%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. +1 0 HP / 252 SpD Guzzlord: 424-502 (72.2 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guzzlord Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 290-344 (96.3 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see, even a single boost to a fully-invested Defensive stat allows it to tank the most powerful SE Attacks in the tier, barring Fairy type moves, and strike back hard.
-----

Seriously, either way - physical or special - I can see Guzzlord being a really powerful wincon, once fairies and Pheromosa are out of the way. Might have to build your team around it somewhat more than other wincons to deal with specific threats, but it has potential. OU? Probably not, but once the metagame settles I certainly expect this to have a place in the meta... probably the UU meta in my opinion.

EDIT: Stockpile is not ideal, as +1 to each is not as useful as Iron Defense or Amnesia would be. However, it doesn't get those, and Stockpile is the best it gets. It IS a viable option in my opinion, though.

-----

- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
Nice double Fire Blast you have there. :D

Last edited:

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus
This thing really confuses me, because it's stats and it's movepool are both so counterintuitive. It has no way to abuse its bulk offensively or defensively (Stockpile is terrible. For everyone's sake don't use it.), since it has no viable boosting, recovery, or support moves. It's not that strong, either, so even with that sick typing and decent coverage, it's pretty easy to exploit, since really all it can do back is sit there and click moderately powerful attacks till it falls over. Ultimately, what is this trying to do? It doesn't have the right combination of utility and offensive presence to be a tank, though its movepool lends it to that. It doesn't have the support options nor recovery to make for a good wall, though its stats lend it to that. It's so unique, yet has no way to stand out. In my eyes, this 'mon is a classic example of Game Freak loading something with heaps of potential, then dashing it all with some crippling flaw or two. This thing really is a letdown.

Guzzlord @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP /248 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Protect

I think this set is fairly decent to be a defensive mon due to its nice HP and giving 248 and 252 spdef is probally the way to go giving it some "bulk" making eat up some hits

Guzzlord @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

And this set physical guzzlord set. This thing with life orb and beast boost would make this thing extremely Powerful making a 6-0 (if possible) and running life orb on this thing is the way to go imo

dom

Banned deucer.
Bump.
I don't see Guzzlord as a great physical attacker. Sure it's bulky, but as a wallbreaker I don't believe it's effective over other darks or dragons. I love it's typing and bulk, though, and I think it's a great wall. I haven't seen the set I've been using around, so I'll just post what I think is it's greatest set.

Guzzlord @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Toxic/Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

This thing walls a lot of stuff, and resttalk makes sure it has some way of recovering. It really is hard to kill and it's great at shuffling. Toxic is nice to spread and it's nice to poison fairies and stuff. Earthquake is cool coverage if you want to be more offensive, but I prefer a more defensive approach.

Shame that Guzzlord doesn't even get a half decent boosting move or utility moves to use it's good bulk. It's pretty weak when investing 252 in both defenses. It also doesn't hit that hard even with full investment in either offenses. It's typing is a mixed bag, 4 of it's 5 weaknesses are extremely common offensive moves. Some useful resistances like Fire, Electric and Ghost. That nasty fairy weakness means the Tapus have fun using him as set up bait if you're not running poison coverage. Bulu doesn't appreciate taking fire moves, though defensive variants can Seed Guzzlord for massive recovery. It also does massive damage with Banded Superpower.

It's cool that Guzzlord can check most Aegislash variants and fares decently against non Thick Club variants of A-Marowak. Though, it's a sitting duck against set up mons that take little from your moves unless your running toxic or Dragon Tail which I don't find great on Guzzlord and is useless at low health due to it's non existent speed.

Been having decent success with rest talk and 2 attacking moves. (Either Crunch + Flamethrower or EQ.) 252 in both defenses and a defense increasing nature. Assault Vest is also an option, though I hate the lack of recovery since Guzzlord gets worn very quickly. Guzzlord definitely won't be OU. Maybe decent in UU. Won't surprise me if gets sent to RU. I choose max def on both defenses. because it's not bulky on the un invested side if you choose to max either attack stat.

I honestly found this guy interesting and decided to run mine as such.

Guzzlord @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Nature: Adamant
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail

So here's something pretty interesting: the Confusion berries- Iapapa, Figy, Aguav, Mago and Wiki- have all been buffed. Instead of healing 1/8 of the users health at 50%, they can now restore 50% of the user's health if it drops to 25% or lower.Considering Guzzlord's overall HP fatness, I propose a Stockpile set that allows it to continue to strike and kill foes while being able to take hits.

Guzzlord @ Figy Berry
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stockpile
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake/Poison Jab/Hammer Arm

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that it has Wailord Syndrome. Massive HP, but defenses so crappy that it essentially just has regular hp. At least it hurts those recoil users!

I honestly found this guy interesting and decided to run mine as such.

Guzzlord @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Nature: Adamant
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail
For something with such huge HP and so low defenses, it's better to boost his defenses (127 Def / 127 SpD instead of 252 HP, if you want even defenses)

kids, this is why you don't post massive ops while sleepy. thanks for the catch!

to keep this post on-topic, has anyone found success with a more physical variant of guzzlord?
I've had decent success with an AV mixed set.
Guzzlord @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Quiet/Brave Nature
- Heavy Slam/Gyro Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave/Earthquake
- Crunch/Dark Pulse
Guzzy absolutely eats hits from anything that isn't a Fairy type, and can punish faeries that come in on it with your choice of a strong Steel or Poison move (Or Earthquake for Koko). I haven't run any of the numbers on whether Gyro Ball or Heavy Slam will reliably deal more damage, and wouldn't recommend doing so until the meta stabilizes. Earthquake can be run over Sludge Wave for better average coverage at the cost of lower average power. Crunch has the better secondary effect, and more things that dislike Dark also have lower defense, on average. If you run all Physical moves and a Brave nature, you can use Draco Meteor with impunity, while you will have to be more careful with more special moves. If you really want to, you could swap Draco Meteor for Dragon Claw if you don't want to worry about the stat drop. You can switch between Brave or Quiet to pick your Beast Boost, those natures are chosen because Guzzy isn't outspeeding anything anyways, and to maximize Gyro Ball damage if chosen.

*Edit*
I should probably favor Heavy Slam, since Guzzy is a serious fatty, weighing in at just under a ton. I have swapped them accordingly.

This probably sounds wild and silly, but how effective would gastro acid be? Used on quite a few pokemon like UB's, Toxapex, Clefable, Minior (?), and Wishiwashi(?!?! Needs testing) to name a few, it can suppress their dangerous abilities to the point where they might be forced to switch out if they want to make use of it. I guess the only things this doesn't check are things like intimidate, weather, and terrain abilities (enter the battlefield effects).

If it shut down Wishiwashi's schooling ability that would be nuts.

This probably sounds wild and silly, but how effective would gastro acid be? Used on quite a few pokemon like UB's, Toxapex, Clefable, Minior (?), and Wishiwashi(?!?! Needs testing) to name a few, it can suppress their dangerous abilities to the point where they might be forced to switch out if they want to make use of it. I guess the only things this doesn't check are things like intimidate, weather, and terrain abilities (enter the battlefield effects).

If it shut down Wishiwashi's schooling ability that would be nuts.
If I'm not mistaken, Schooling can't be suppressed by Gastro Acid or Skill Swapped. Same goes for Shields Down.

Lord Guzzler (Guzzlord) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Def / 132 SpA / 32 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave / Sludge Bomb

Tinkered with my earlier set upon realizing that Guzzlord gets more bulk for its buck with points invested in defenses rather than HP (and also upon realizing that my earlier set had a horrible amount of typos such as double Fire Blast, what the heck). This stat spread equalizes Def and SpD and gives it just enough bulk to survive Banded Tapu Bulu Superpower after Stealth Rock, while the small SpA investment gives it some teeth. This thing is still a monster in Trick Room, especially after it gets a Beast Boost.

Belch does a lot of damage.... Maybe not a serious set, but something like

Figy Berry, etc.
Beast Boost
4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Any -Spe nature
- Belch
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Payback??

Belch is unfortunately pretty situational, but it does a lot of damage and might check some of the fairies in the meta game. I'm curious is you can still select Belch without having consumed a berry, but if an opponent damages you on that turn, which makes you consume a berry, and you attack afterwards, if belch will go off or not. Or is the option greyed out or something, because that might be pretty important imo. I hope that made sense.

I guess if you're running this set specifically to check fairies a 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD spread makes more sense, since the only physical Fairy STAB is play rough and none of the Tapu's get it, etc. afaik

Just throwing shit out there, unfortunately he doesn't get Avalanche, Counter, etc. otherwise you could run a full negative priority set and probably do decent damage. Or Bide. Or Final Gambit >.> honestly Guzzlord has a lot of potential as a griefing set, or would if he had the movepool for it.

Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
-Spe Nature
- Stockpile
- Swallow
- Toxic
- Protect

lmao

Belch is unfortunately pretty situational, but it does a lot of damage and might check some of the fairies in the meta game. I'm curious is you can still select Belch without having consumed a berry, but if an opponent damages you on that turn, which makes you consume a berry, and you attack afterwards, if belch will go off or not. Or is the option greyed out or something, because that might be pretty important imo. I hope that made sense.
No moves are restricted, or "greyed out", unless restricted by the opponent (by things such as Disable, Taunt, and Cursed Body). You can still select Belch and it should work if you eat your berry midturn if you predict correctly. If you don't eat your berry Belch does nothing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)