Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing Pokemon XD recently and was wondering how you maximized the Flow. I'm not just talking about the four main bars/icons, I'm talking about all the smaller bars/icons you can get to fill up the blank space after the four larger ones. I got maximum flow with trial and error and was wondering whether or not there is a method to maximizing flow or not.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In HGSS, does Clair have Hyper Potions or Full Restores? I've been thinking about playing the games again and want to try to stall her out with Toxic Spikes-induced Toxic poisoning (Tentacool gets the move at like Level 19 and Tentacruel is probably beefy enough to wall her), and the strat would kind of die if she had the Full Restores.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've been playing Pokemon XD recently and was wondering how you maximized the Flow. I'm not just talking about the four main bars/icons, I'm talking about all the smaller bars/icons you can get to fill up the blank space after the four larger ones. I got maximum flow with trial and error and was wondering whether or not there is a method to maximizing flow or not.
If I remember correctly, you need to fill the entire thingamajig with Pokémon, all of whose main type is super-effective against the main type of the next (or previous) Pokémon. Not sure if that needs to be done across the board, or only within the small groupings or not.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
In HGSS, does Clair have Hyper Potions or Full Restores? I've been thinking about playing the games again and want to try to stall her out with Toxic Spikes-induced Toxic poisoning (Tentacool gets the move at like Level 19 and Tentacruel is probably beefy enough to wall her), and the strat would kind of die if she had the Full Restores.
AFAIK she has Hyper Potions. I think that only the E4 carries Full Restores in HGSS (and maybe the Kanto Leaders?). She might have two, but the toxic stacking damage will basically make them pointless depending on the rolls you get. Tentacruel only really has to watch out for repeated Hyper Beams, but if you're relatively close in level you shouldn't have any issues there with tanking them.

Hey guys. I'm just wondering, what is the fastest Pokemon in the Battle Maison of Pokemon X and Y, if Choice Scarf is included?

I'm wondering to know how much I'll need to Speed EV train my Jolly Durant (perfect 31 Speed IVs) that holds Choice Scarf to still out-speed the fastest opponent that didn't boost Speed via moves. Am wondering so I can invest the remaining EVs into Sp. Defense. So, it's 252 on HP and then split between Speed and Sp. Defense, but am wondering what this split is like.

Hey guys. I'm just wondering, what is the fastest Pokemon in the Battle Maison of Pokemon X and Y, if Choice Scarf is included?

I'm wondering to know how much I'll need to Speed EV train my Jolly Durant (perfect 31 Speed IVs) that holds Choice Scarf to still out-speed the fastest opponent that didn't boost Speed via moves. Am wondering so I can invest the remaining EVs into Sp. Defense. So, it's 252 on HP and then split between Speed and Sp. Defense, but am wondering what this split is like.
Aerodactyl1 hits 200 speed and is holding a choice scarf which you won't outspeed. The next fastest choice scarf user is Manectric4 (172 speed) so 228 EVs guarantees that scarf Durant will outspeed that (173 speed).

Aerodactyl1 hits 200 speed and is holding a choice scarf which you won't outspeed. The next fastest choice scarf user is Manectric4 (172 speed) so 228 EVs guarantees that scarf Durant will outspeed that (173 speed).
Excellent post; thank you very much. Though really... mono Rock Slide on that Scarfed Aerodactyl can turn out quite insane.

If I KO a Shadow Pokemon in Pokemon Colosseum will I still be able to Soft Reset for a shiny? I know nature, gender, and IVs will be preset but from what I've read the value that determines the Shadow's shininess is rerolled when it is caught. Just wondering if anyone had any insight to this or not.

Pretty sure bulbapedia is correct, but it is important to keep in mind how probability actually works. You could be as low as E-rank and get a dawn stone or as high as A-rank and still get a hondew berry—increased likelihood doesn't guarantee the result. Imho you're better off taking your chances with Super Training if you want extra evolutionary stones.
Man then I have hideous luck. I realize the berries are probably the most common prize but it really sucks when you get it all the time despite your rank. Certainly not helped but how that minigame in particular is 100% completely random in terms of what rank you get.

Since bulba doesn't have it I guess we never determined exact %s

I'm not too invested in getting evolution items since I have a full dex, but they're nice to have & a better usage of pokemiles than pokeballs and such.

Ah well, thanks.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
If I KO a Shadow Pokemon in Pokemon Colosseum will I still be able to Soft Reset for a shiny? I know nature, gender, and IVs will be preset but from what I've read the value that determines the Shadow's shininess is rerolled when it is caught. Just wondering if anyone had any insight to this or not.
In Pokémon Colosseum, like in the core series games, Pokémon have a 1/8192 chance of being Shiny. Likewise, there is a 1/8192 chance of a Shadow Pokémon being Shiny; however, when a Shiny Shadow Pokémon is captured, it is highly improbable that the Pokémon will retain Shininess. Conversely, when an ordinary Shadow Pokémon is captured, there is still the 1/8192 chance of that Pokémon becoming Shiny when it is sent to the player's party or the Pokémon Storage System. Shininess is retained through purification.
Even if it spawns shiny, it probably won't remain shiny. Then something that's not shiny might become shiny... Yeah, have fun with that one :P

In pokemon black and white 2, if you were going to pick between one normal type out of Lillipup (Stoutland) and mincing (Cinccino) lines, which one would you pick?

I'm doing a run of Black 2 and I'm not sure which one I should use.

Even if it spawns shiny, it probably won't remain shiny. Then something that's not shiny might become shiny... Yeah, have fun with that one :P
I've already planned to capture then check for shiny. I was wondering if I HAD to SR on the first attempt or if I could wait until postgame to use Pokemon and Balls from GBA games.

In pokemon black and white 2, if you were going to pick between one normal type out of Lillipup (Stoutland) and mincing (Cinccino) lines, which one would you pick?

I'd go with the Hidden Grotto Minccino. It'll evolve earlier thanks to how early you can obtain the shiny stone and thus you don't need to constantly feed it exp. Besides, Skill Link Tail Slap is better than anything Stoutland has to offer.
I guess one could pick Stoutland over Cinccino if they want something that can learn both Surf and Strenght, otherwise there's really no reason to use it other than favoritism, which is fine, but in a vacuum Cinccino is the better pokemon.

I'd choose Stoutland. It has a far better set of moves to choose from including Strength which is helpful. Cincinno must relearn Tail Slap, Rock Blast and Bullet Seed leaving it with weaker STAB moves and Wake Up Slap and a few TMs as coverage. Any coverage Cincinno gets from TMs and Mincinno gets levelling up Stoutland can do better. But then again Cincinno is cuter.

I'd choose Stoutland. It has a far better set of moves to choose from including Strength which is helpful. Cincizno must relearn Tail Slap, Rock Blast and Bullet Seed leaving it with weaker STAB moves and Wake Up Slap and a few TMs as coverage. Any coverage Cincinno gets from TMs and Mincinno gets levelling up Stoutland can do better. But then again Cincinno is cuter.
Incorrect, Minccino learns Tail Slap at level 25 and by the time you evolve it you can easily fly back to the PWT and have it relearn whichever move you'd like.

Meanwhile, Stoutland (unless you take the time to collect shards and tutor it actual coverage moves [which will definitely take longer than farming for heart scales]) is left with Dark/Normal coverage moves, which isn't bad per say but definitely isn't anything to write home about either when you can't hit anything for super-effective damage. Sure it gets Surf and other special moves but that's subpar at best, and the former is really only useful for HM utility, which isn't even mandatory for most of the game.

Furthermore, Strenght should only be used if you need its HM usage, otherwise Return is better 100% of the times in the long run, which is pretty much always since the game hardly punishes you for not using HMs so you can free up an extra slot for something more useful, like if you need to teach it Surf & Rock Smash for whatever reason.

Anyway, I guess Stoutland is considerably bulkier, but Cincinno hits harder so it's a matter of whether one holds durability or offensive power in higher regard. I personally prefer the latter but that's just me.

Last edited:
Incorrect, Minccino learns Tail Slap at level 25 and by the time you evolve it you can easily fly back to the PWT and have it relearn whichever move you'd like.

Meanwhile, Stoutland (unless you take the time to collect shards and tutor it actual coverage moves [which will definitely take longer than farming for heart scales]) is left with Dark/Normal coverage moves, which isn't bad per say but definitely isn't anything to write home about either when you can't hit anything for super-effective damage. Sure it gets Surf and other special moves but that's subpar at best, and the former is really only useful for HM utility, which isn't even mandatory for most of the game.

Furthermore, Strenght should only be used if you need its HM usage, otherwise Return is better 100% of the times in the long run, which is pretty much always since the game hardly punishes you for not using HMs so you can free up an extra slot for something more useful, like if you need to teach it Surf & Rock Smash for whatever reason.

Anyway, I guess Stoutland is considerably bulkier, but Cinccino hits harder so it's a matter of whether one holds durability or offensive power in higher regard. I personally prefer the latter but that's just me.
I always got impatient with stones. Personally I spread HMs throughout my in game teams, saves keeping one or two mons just being mules. Without late game moves you'll mainly be spamming Return/Tail Slap and have another Poke deal with Steels and Rocks anyway. But yeah it's mainly personal preference (especially if you're not optimising IVs/EVs).

And on a completely unrelated note Cinccino has a far better cry.

I want to SR a Cranidos fossil in Platinum for the right nature.
Do I have to save before I hand over the fossil or can I save before I pick up the revived Cranidos?

I want to SR a Cranidos fossil in Platinum for the right nature.
Do I have to save before I hand over the fossil or can I save before I pick up the revived Cranidos?
Items don't carry any data besides which item it is; all is determined when you get the revived fossil pokemon. You're free to save after handing over the fossil and reset as much as you'd like.

Hello, i'm playing pokemon Black 2, and i've been wondering if i need to breed for IVs/EV train my pokemon to do decently in the Battle Subway. Do i need to do that?

Hello, i'm playing pokemon Black 2, and i've been wondering if i need to breed for IVs/EV train my pokemon to do decently in the Battle Subway. Do i need to do that?
Pretty much yes. You might also want to learn 5th gen RNG abuse to make breeding/capturing Pokemon with flawless IV's much easier. EV training without Pokerus will be a pain in the ass, though, unless you're able to trade yourself a Pokemon already infected with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)