Have a question? Ask it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

If you're new to C&C, this is probably the best place to start asking questions, instead of posting clueless threads which will be locked, and it also prevents you being issued with a warning.

This thread's purpose is to give users a place to ask questions about C&C or ask for help with their analyses, and to give newer users a general idea of how things work. I'd like to encourage contributors and ladybug holders to answer queries as it is part of the 'job' description to encourage other users to contribute. We always appreciate help from users, even if they're less experienced than ourselves, and this thread aims to encourage helpful posting and promote more experienced users. Who knows, it may earn you a shiny new badge one day.

1) Please keep the unnecessary posting to a minimum, as this is a simple question thread. If you would like somebody to write your analyses, or if you'd like to take over an analysis that's inactive, by all means request it, but please take the conversation to VM or PM messaging afterwards. If you consistently spam this thread with unhelpful information, you may be issued with a warning.

2) Please quote the request you're replying to, as this saves confusion and makes it a lot easier to manage transactions and queries. If you're going to simply VM or PM a user, there is no need to post here. Posts such as 'replied to the above' are pretty pointless, and needlessly raise your post count.

3) Please read the following C&C guideline threads/announcements before posting, as there's a good chance you'll find an answer here:
4) This is NOT a thread to request GP checks or QC checks. Please contact GP / QC members if you'd like them to check your analysis, or request that your thread is added to the GP queue.

Thank you.

I have a few questions about the analysis threads in this forum:

First of all I'm not English, is that a disavatange when making analysis?
Second one: when will LC analysis unlocked to start making them?
About the skeleton of the analysis: Whats the meaning of bullet senteces?, I've seen many people talking about the word "bullet" and other question about the same, Can I write the analysis without bullets?

Dont know if u will understand my questions because my english isn't very good. Anyways, thanks for reading.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Plenty of our analyses are written by non-native English speakers/writers! It might require a little more effort by you and the editors, but if you'd like to write one that shouldn't hold you back.
To my knowledge LC is waiting to sort out Cutiefly / Baton Pass stuff before they start writing.
About the skeleton of the analysis: Whats the meaning of bullet senteces?, I've seen many people talking about the word "bullet" and other question about the same, Can I write the analysis without bullets?
It should look like this:

[OVERVIEW]
  • Azelf has an excellent base 115 Speed along with access to Taunt, Stealth Rock, and Explosion. This makes it an effective suicide lead.
  • It has high mixed offensive stats, with 125 in both Attack and Special Attack.
  • It has a wide supportive and offensive movepool with many viable coverage options, along with access to Nasty Plot.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I have a few questions about the analysis threads in this forum:

Dont know if u will understand my questions because my english isn't very good. Anyways, thanks for reading.
Some of our most prolific writers have been non-native speakers. In fact, our most prolific LC writer, ShinyAzelf, is a Hong Kong native iirc.

The major piece of advice I give to non-native speakers when writing for us is to not just blindly implement the GP checks when it gets to that stage, otherwise your grasp of English will never get any better. Actively think about why the GPers made the changes that they did, and ask questions when you don't understand something. We want you to write for us and get better at English in the process, just be willing to put in a little extra work when doing so. :)

Hello there! Got a small question. During sixth gen there was a grammar workshop that helped amcheckers by giving sample paragraphs to correct. Does anyone know if/when this service could be returning? I would love to begin doing an amcheck as I believe myself to be a good editor, but I'll be honest in saying I'm far too nervous at the current moment to hop in and try.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hello there! Got a small question. During sixth gen there was a grammar workshop that helped amcheckers by giving sample paragraphs to correct. Does anyone know if/when this service could be returning? I would love to begin doing an amcheck as I believe myself to be a good editor, but I'll be honest in saying I'm far too nervous at the current moment to hop in and try.
iirc that project stopped because of inactivity; besides, there's this thread where you can check sample paragraphs that are found in the OP and are not given out each week unlike the other project. it has not been updated for a while (i did speak to p squared about this, though), but the exercises are still useful to get a good grasp of pokégrammar. when one is free, a gp member will reply to the check, and point out the stuff you missed out.

once you get more confident, you can check some gen 6 analyses (not gen 7 because they're high priority) and get some advice by whoever looks over your amcheck--you can even post in this thread. good luck!

Ah thank you! I'll go ahead and try a few, maybe even do an amcheck myself and get advice from that second thread. Thank you once again for the help! :)

Edit: okay because once again I'm the literal embodiment of nervousness and I couldn't find this info in the threads I looked over, if someone already did a GP check (I guess either amcheck or official doesn't really matter in this question) am I allowed to do an amcheck on that? Or should I not touch it?

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Edit: okay because once again I'm the literal embodiment of nervousness and I couldn't find this info in the threads I looked over, if someone already did a GP check (I guess either amcheck or official doesn't really matter in this question) am I allowed to do an amcheck on that? Or should I not touch it?
In these cases you shouldn't post a new amcheck until the previous checks have been implemented or otherwise addressed. But if you're already halfway through or almost done with an amcheck and then someone posts before you, there's some leeway. I wrote about this a little in the Guide to GP in this subforum, but if it is unclear I can flesh out that section some more.

As said above, there are GP Workshop and Rate My Check threads in the XY Analyses subforum that you can use. We're not moving or recreating these threads in the SM Analyses subforum yet since amchecks aren't allowed on the skeletons, but I will update the XY GP Workshop thread next week for real this time, i'm done with finals tonight and some grad school apps soon @_@

Sobi

Banned deucer.
How does one go about joining the grammar/prose team?
This post covers how to join the GP team. You should read it! But in short: you have to do amchecks - amateur checks - on analyses (not SM ones, though, because they're high priority; you can do it on ORAS ones) that are either GP 0/2 or GP 1/2. Don't do amchecks on analyses that already have a pending GP or amcheck unless they are implemented. You can stack checks if you were sniped, though. Once you have a couple of checks stamped by a GP member, PM the GP leaders (The Dutch Plumberjack, P Squared, and GatoDelFuego) why you should be on the team and with a list of your checks - they will review them and either accept you / reject you with feedback. If you have any questions about GP, you can also consider joining the GP Discord, where you can talk to GP members / GP leaders. Hope this helped ^.^

Wouldn't be a good idea to wait for Pokebanks update for Sun and Moon to do any analysis of new pokemon? Seems like we're only working with half a deck at the moment so the analyses of each new pokemon might not be exactly accurate.

Hi! So I was recently taking a look at some of the new Pokemon in Sun and Moon and I realized that Tsareena didn't have a smogon entry, I clicked the link to the suggestions forum but there was no place where I could post my suggestion, any help? Thanks!

Hi! So I was recently taking a look at some of the new Pokemon in Sun and Moon and I realized that Tsareena didn't have a smogon entry, I clicked the link to the suggestions forum but there was no place where I could post my suggestion, any help? Thanks!
Analysis are currently being written, but Tsareena isn't OU or Ubers viable. It probably will have to wait until RU or NU are made and start making analyses.

Just a minor question. I'm aware PU hasn't sorted everything out as of now, but is there some sort of ELO limit required before submissions are made? This somewhat worries me, primarily because the pokemon I wanted to write about is Masquerain of all things. I predict I'll end up no higher than 1180 a few months after PU finally launches.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There is no explicit number, but keep in mind if your analysis isn't accurate / low quality / etc. it may be reassigned. Generally higher rating means you have had more (successful) experience with the mon, and that is a good thing.

Eyo -- this is probably a relatively dumb question, but how does one go about really getting involved in C&C? I'm a relatively good battler, albeit new to the forums, and I really wanted to help out and potentially write some analyses with the advent of Gen 7 -- but it seems there's nothing left in OU or anywhere else atm.

Is it at all possible to write an OU analysis for pokemon that are't currently slated to be put in OU, since nobody in particular seems excited to be writing about those mons?

Eyo -- this is probably a relatively dumb question, but how does one go about really getting involved in C&C? I'm a relatively good battler, albeit new to the forums, and I really wanted to help out and potentially write some analyses with the advent of Gen 7 -- but it seems there's nothing left in OU or anywhere else atm.

Is it at all possible to write an OU analysis for pokemon that are't currently slated to be put in OU, since nobody in particular seems excited to be writing about those mons?
Ubers still has a bunch of things that aren't taken, and I'm pretty sure most of the other non-OU places do as well (especially other meta games). Alternatively, you could talk with the OU QC team and apply to make an analysis on some non-OU but viable Pokémon. Depending on how much experience you have with the Pokémon, applying for something like Rotom-H or Raikou to be listed is somewhat reasonable. Alternatively, look at what's on your teams and doesn't have an analysis, and ask about that.

The smogon twitter mentioned that analyses would be translated in the future. I am French and would be interested in doing some translations, what do I do?

Is there any forum/page/thread that shows what pokemon go in which tier? I would like to make a cofagrigus analysis, but with the unfinished tiers i can't be sure where to post it.

Is there any forum/page/thread that shows what pokemon go in which tier? I would like to make a cofagrigus analysis, but with the unfinished tiers i can't be sure where to post it.
Ideally, whatever tier you use it in; you should be writing analyses about things you know.
That being said, only OU and UU properly exist now, and I would hazard that cofragrigus is not exactly UU viable.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
The smogon twitter mentioned that analyses would be translated in the future. I am French and would be interested in doing some translations, what do I do?
Currently nothing about this is set in stone yet (the teams are only translating Flying Press articles, the details about analyses are still to be ironed out), and unfortunately the translation project is going through a somewhat uncertain time right now because its previous leader had to step down over illness. You can keep an eye on this forum for any future updates; otherwise, you can consider contacting user Haund, since he is very involved with the project (leads the Italian section) and might be able to give you a better reply.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Is there a collective name for those berries that restore 50% of a mon's health when it's below 25%? Like Figy, Iapapa, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)