Head Start

Approved by Eevee General and unfixable

Head Start (originally Oncoming Storm)
Credit to Talonflame for the OM title
This is the Oncoming Storm (now called Head Start due to possible imminent natural disasters). Possibly seen as a successor to FaSTAB-mon, this metagame attempts to give every Pokémon a chance to quickly take out the opposition, while at the same time making Talonflame insignificant. I'm kidding about Talonflame. But in all seriousness, here are the rules:
  • Standard OU banlists, clauses, and mechanics
  • In addition to their standard abilities, Pokémon will also receive an ability, referred to as a "prioribility," that increases the priority of moves of its secondary typing by 1. The list of abilities is as follows, with the names cleverly and lazily developed by yours truly:
    Pure Finesse: Increases priority of Normal-type moves.
    Dynamite Jab: Increases priority of Fighting-type moves.
    Gale Wings: Increases priority of Flying-type moves.
    Contagion: Increases priority of Poison-type moves.
    Fault Line: Increases priority of Ground-type moves.
    Landslide: Increases priority of Rock-type moves.
    Praying Mantis: Increases priority of Bug-type moves.
    Spectral Force: Increases priority of Ghost-type moves.
    Quick Silver: Increases priority of Steel-type moves.
    Turbo Flare: Increases priority of Fire-type moves.
    Rip Tide: Increases priority of Water-type moves.
    Mass Producer: Increases priority of Grass-type moves.
    Thunderfeet: Increases priority of Electric-type moves.
    Telepath: Increases priority of Psychic-type moves.
    Flash Freeze: Increases priority of Ice-type moves.
    Draconic Breath: Increases priority of Dragon-type moves.
    Sith Lord: Increases priority of Dark-type moves.
    Siren's Call: Increases priority of Fairy-type moves.
  • Pokémon only get the prioribility corresponding to its secondary typing. For example, Metagross would only be able to increase Psychic-type priority, but not Steel-type priority. Pokémon with only one type get that type's ability.
  • Since this is an extra ability, the Pokémon must choose between its standard ability(s) or its new ability, adding a bit more variety. For example, Sylveon cannot have both Pixilate and Siren's Call. To counterweigh this drawback, there can be any number of prioribilities on a single team.
  • All moves gain +1 priority, whether they're Physical, Special, or Status, or even if they already have increased priority. For example, Conkeldurr's Drain Punch would have +1 priority, while its Mach Punch would have +2.
  • Mega Evolutions have a prioribility as long as their base forms have one. Moreover, if a Pokémon's secondary typing changes upon Mega Evolving, the prioribility would change accordingly as well. For example, if Gyarados has Intimidate, Mega Gyarados would have Mold Breaker. If Gyarados has Gale Wings instead, Mega Gyarados would have Dark Sorcery.
Banlist:
  • Ubers Pokémon and clauses
  • Slaking
  • Regigigas
  • Archeops
I hope this metagame will be a fun and interesting one. Feel free to share any and all ideas you may have, and let's all prepare ourselves for the Oncoming Storm!

Some questions to start off discussion:

• What Pokémon would have increased/decreased viability in this metagame?
  • What ability names, if any, should be changed, either out of being too cheesy or some other reason?
  • What threats should we watch out for or even suspect?
  • Should we allow Ubers to invade the battlefield?
  • Will Talonflame ever be the same again?
Btw, if this ever gets coded, Eevee General has advised me to give the effects to Illuminate. It has no competitive use whatsoever, and in the teambuilder, it would be easier to select than adding 18 new abilities.

Last edited:
Well, This is actually a really cool way to improve upon STAB priority. In particular I think Sableye is very interesting since it gets to choose between prankster, magic bounce, and priority Koff and foul play.

Though I'm pretty sure this classifies as a Pet Mod. Tagging Eevee General and The Immortal to make sure

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Well, This is actually a really cool way to improve upon STAB priority. In particular I think Sableye is very interesting since it gets to choose between prankster, magic bounce, and priority Koff and foul play.

Though I'm pretty sure this classifies as a Pet Mod. Tagging Eevee General and The Immortal to make sure
If they approved it to be in the OM forum, I'm pretty sure it's fine. All they're doing is editing illuminate and distributing the ability to all Pokemon. That is eligible for an OM because it is a change to an ability that is given statically.

Though correct me if I'm wrong Eevee General or The Immortal (yes, ik tagss don't work in edits)

Reactions: EV

I don't think this is a pet mot. It's kind of like the Metagamiate OM, where each Pokémon recieves an ability based on its type, and that one wasn't a pet mod. Only differences are that it's Prioribilities instead of -ates, and the Pokémon can/must choose what abilities to run.

dhelmise

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I don't think this is a pet mot. It's kind of like the Metagamiate OM, where each Pokémon recieves an ability based on its type, and that one wasn't a pet mod. Only differences are that it's Prioribilities instead of -ates, and the Pokémon can/must choose what abilities to run.
Also, unfixable can't approve OMs, only comment on them.

If they approved it to be in the OM forum, I'm pretty sure it's fine. All they're doing is editing illuminate and distributing the ability to all Pokemon. That is eligible for an OM because it is a change to an ability that is given statically.

Though correct me if I'm wrong Eevee General or The Immortal (yes, ik tagss don't work in edits)
sometimes things get approved as pet mods and get posted in OMs when they shouldn't have been.
also it wouldn't work with illuminate since it can't have more than one effect and coding effects for secondary types specifically doesn't work as evidenced by one of the coders for another OM(might have been metagamiate but not sure)
metagamiate didn't create abilities but instead added effects to normal type moves. this one clearly adds new abilities.

dhelmise

Social Media Head
sometimes things get approved as pet mods and get posted in OMs when they shouldn't have been.
also it wouldn't work with illuminate since it can't have more than one effect and coding effects for secondary types specifically doesn't work as evidenced by one of the coders for another OM(might have been metagamiate but not sure)

metagamiate didn't create abilities but instead added effects to normal type moves. this one clearly adds new abilities.
uh... You can make the effect of the ability for illuminate to make it that any given type of a move that shares a type with the Pokemon using it have +1 Priority. I code... I know how this works. Also, Cobalt314 I'll be coding this.

uh... You can make the effect of the ability for illuminate to make it that any given type of a move that shares a type with the Pokemon using it have +1 Priority. I code... I know how this works. Also, Cobalt314 I'll be coding this.
Is it possible to exclusively make it for the secondary typing, or should I change the mechanics for my prioribilities?

it specifically says only the secondary type unless the mon has no secondary type. I suppose you could also change Honey Gather for the primary type but even still it'd count as a pet mod.

I'm just going to add a quick rule, if that's all right: For flavor reasons, Pokémon with Levitate and Pokémon that are defined by their abilities (Aegislash, Arceus, etc.) must keep their original abilities. No +1 Hydro Pump Rotom-W or +1 Sludge Bomb Gengar, sorry.

Last edited:
I'm just going to add a quick rule, if that's all right: For flavor reasons, Pokémon with Levitate and Pokémon that are defined by their abilities (Aegislash, Arceus, etc.) must keep their original abilities. No +1 Hydro Pump Rotom-W or +1 Sludge Bomb Gengar, sorry.
Even more reason why this is a pet mod. but it also prevents slaking and gigas from being broken. does this include archeops and archen?

Funny how no post until this point has actually contributed towards the Metagame ideas. If the OM team approved it, it's good. Don't try to derail the thread IMO.

To the point, Stall loves Priority Defogging and Status. But yeah, when things are spamming high-BP STAB Banded/Specs moves, it's hard for Stall to keep up. I guess priority Soft Boiled, Wish and Heal Bell Chansey can prove invaluable.

Bulky Attackers like Snorlax love this meta. And of course, Cloyster will be pretty much everywhere.

Ban King's Rock to avoid priority flinching cancer.

Funny how no post until this point has actually contributed towards the Metagame ideas. If the OM team approved it, it's good. Don't try to derail the thread IMO.

To the point, Stall loves Priority Defogging and Status. But yeah, when things are spamming high-BP STAB Banded/Specs moves, it's hard for Stall to keep up. I guess priority Soft Boiled, Wish and Heal Bell Chansey can prove invaluable.

Bulky Attackers like Snorlax love this meta. And of course, Cloyster will be pretty much everywhere.

Ban King's Rock to avoid priority flinching cancer.
Of course, in order to use Flash Freeze, Cloyster must sacrifice Skill Link.
Regarding King's Rock, I'm not sure whether you mean just Cloyster, Cinccino, and the like, or if you mean in general, since priority won't get Skill Link, and otherwise it's a measly 10% flinch chance (41% if successfully hits 5 times). I think it's a bit like focus band in that it's a gimmicky item, so I don't see a reason to quickban it.

curselax gg

on a serious note, mega pinsir has just gotten more ridiculous since it doesnt have to run quick attack anymore: that's a slot that it can use to run options like CC/EQ, or even Bug STAB (well, if there's actually a point with running it since x-scissor fucking sucks)

also idk if ubers should drop, extremekiller literally 6-0s teams with +3 priority extremespeed rofl

curselax gg

on a serious note, mega pinsir has just gotten more ridiculous since it doesnt have to run quick attack anymore: that's a slot that it can use to run options like CC/EQ, or even Bug STAB (well, if there's actually a point with running it since x-scissor fucking sucks)
Mega Pinsir can't have both Gale Wings and Aerilate.
also idk if ubers should drop, extremekiller literally 6-0s teams with +3 priority extremespeed rofl
Arceus is defined by Multitype, therefore it cannot run Pure Finesse.
Comments in bold

As a note to all: what makes this metagame interesting is that many threats are defined by their abilities, so the essential question to ask yourself is if it's worth it to sacrifice a Pokémon's ability in order to give it priority. In some cases, like Zygarde or Azumarill, it's a simple yes-or-no answer. In other cases, like Mega Metagross or Landorus-T, the answer is not so straightforward, and requires a deep analysis of the Pokémon in question.

Last edited:
One thing to note regigigas/slaking all need to go asap(not having truant/slow start and giving them illumenate would make them a huge threat, giving them priority stab is a massive buff)
or else we are going to have return's flying every where
maybe archeops too but possibly not

Also fire should definitely be Turbo Flare- it gives a sense of speed and awsome

Last edited:
Terrakion got priority Close Combat? Cool.
Also Staraptor got priority Brave Bird with 120 Atk.
Resttalk Calm Mind Suicune with priority Scald.

Anyway, isn't adding new abilities make this a pet mod? Metagamiate just change the mechanics of the Normal moves. It doesn't modify something or add something new. This add some new abilities that isn't in the game, so basically this is a pet mod imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)