Project heat

ive been using this sun a lot to have fun and honestly this motherfuckre some fire. shiftry works as well as you can use sucker to kill A LOT more after sun runs out but you could easily just run both on the same squad and I REALLY enjoy taking out trans from full

This is from this squad that I’m testing out in the 1700s rn (im omari p if you didnt know ): https://pokepast.es/73368bd5a210ec45

View attachment 318266

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Growth
- Solar Blade
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
I love the idea of using Offensive Tangrowth on Sun, but why Growth and not SD so it can set up a bit better outside of Sun? I could obviously see Growth being better on a mixed set though.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Gengar @ Salac Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Dazzling Gleam

Why didn't I notice this thread before...

Anyways, yes, SubSalac Gengar, a beast of my own creation! The idea is to sweep after its checks and revenge killers are weakened and/or killed. The neat thing about SubSalac is that you can choose who revenge kills you. Say they have a Rillaboom and Dragapult (who is revealed to not be scarf earlier in the battle) on the opposing team. If you are afraid of Rillaboom, you can sub up and Grassy Glide will just hit a rag doll while you slaughter it. If Dragapult is the one that worries you, sub (or just wear yourself down) until you're in salac range and Pult can no longer revenge you properly.

This Gengar is also almost never deadweight. NP allows it to double as a wallbreaker and ravage slower teams, while its high speed makes it more than capable of keeping up with offensive teams. And another boon is that this is one of the few special attackers that Blissey can't touch - literally. (no one is running Shadow Ball Blissey anymore) You sub and none of their status moves will do a thing, NP up to +6, and kill. Focus Miss destroy Steel- and most Dark-types (...70% of the time) while Dazzling Gleam can be run to kill Mandibuzz and have 100% accuracy. Finally, Timid to outspeed Scarfed base 100s, Blacephalon, and Kartana after a Salac berry boost.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
Gengar @ Salac Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Dazzling Gleam

Why didn't I notice this thread before...

Anyways, yes, SubSalac Gengar, a beast of my own creation! The idea is to sweep after its checks and revenge killers are weakened and/or killed. The neat thing about SubSalac is that you can choose who revenge kills you. Say they have a Rillaboom and Dragapult (who is revealed to not be scarf earlier in the battle) on the opposing team. If you are afraid of Rillaboom, you can sub up and Grassy Glide will just hit a rag doll while you slaughter it. If Dragapult is the one that worries you, sub (or just wear yourself down) until you're in salac range and Pult can no longer revenge you properly.

This Gengar is also almost never deadweight. NP allows it to double as a wallbreaker and ravage slower teams, while its high speed makes it more than capable of keeping up with offensive teams. And another boon is that this is one of the few special attackers that Blissey can't touch - literally. (no one is running Shadow Ball Blissey anymore) You sub and none of their status moves will do a thing, NP up to +6, and kill. Focus Miss destroy Steel- and most Dark-types (...70% of the time) while Dazzling Gleam can be run to kill Mandibuzz and have 100% accuracy. Finally, Timid to outspeed Scarfed base 100s, Blacephalon, and Kartana after a Salac berry boost.
this is nearly identical to my old hoopa c set syou you know I’m gonna show you some love. I actually rec being black sludge and not salac so ur less vulnerable to being warn down by subs and weather and shit. also you cna experiment with a lot of berries here, even +spa could be cool. good shit

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
this is nearly identical to my old hoopa c set syou you know I’m gonna show you some love. I actually rec being black sludge and not salac so ur less vulnerable to being warn down by subs and weather and shit. also you cna experiment with a lot of berries here, even +spa could be cool. good shit
Black Sludge is the standard set on the Smogon dex. Salac Berry sets you up for a sweep after its checks are weakened and revenge killers dies while breaking defensive cores for itself or a teammate to clean lategame. This is part of what I love about this set: I get to break down my own checks (because its so hard to switch into a +2 Shadow Ball or Focus Blast) early-game to sweep late-game with a speed boost. And with the speed boost the pool of revenge killers for this basically boils down to priority, Regieleki, Hawlucha after Unburden, Scarf Pult, and Scarf Lati on a speed tie (and some more niche stuff like Scarf Koko ig). Its so hard to revenge properly without the right mons so you have to defensive wall it, but its so hard to defensively wall it lategame because you have a base 130 SpA with NP, ghost-resists aren't common these days and often can be dispatched with a coverage move, and it will be breaking these same checks early-mid-game anyway (not to mention that it have 5 other pokemon on its team).

EFBF3436-AB27-4D2A-9181-CA97588735C3.gif

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpA / 152 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sludge Wave

I wanted to be able to lure one of SD Lando’s best checks in Rilla and Tangrowth and knock them out. I can slap Fly on Lando but I didn’t want to resort to Fly and have to be forced to use Power Herb over the more generally useful Lefties or LO. So I came up with the idea of Sludge Wave. With 152 Speed evs it outspeeds Timid Tran and with 104 SpA evs, it gets to OHKO Tang and Rilla after rocks.

104 SpA Life Orb Landorus-Therian Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

104 SpA Life Orb Landorus-Therian Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 276-325 (80.9 - 95.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Sludge Wave has other feats like hitting Unaware Clef harder, OHKOing Bulu, and being a nice middle ground vs Bro + Clef cores. Best utilized on HO teams that have trouble breaking past Tang.

Team featuring Sludge Wave Lando
https://pokepast.es/73d941ddbdda2fe6

FC69F3E9-6B3D-4879-AF29-07093064C129.gif

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 SpD / 1Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

Wanna sweep with Double Dance Lando but Slowbro, Pex and Tang keeps crippling you with Scald or Sleep Powder? Say goodbye to those days by slapping a Lum Berry on your Lando. The whole concept is to safely setup on Pex while avoiding being checked by Tang and non-Ice Beam Slowbro. It has other benefits like shrugging off Toxic from opposing Lando and random Hurricane confusions from Torn. 92 SpD evs for living Nidoking’s Ice Beam at full with Light Screen up. Great wincon on screens.

Team featuring Lum Double Dance Lando
https://pokepast.es/f69763e175fdbbb3

Last edited:
1614289522038.png

Automize weakness policy destiny bond
Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat / King’s Shield

pretty simple cleaner set. You keep clicking automize until they active weakness policy and sweep, or you just make the heatran, mandibuzz, etc disappear with destiny bond. I think kings shield is actually better than close combat because it lets you set up on more things, but you don’t get hard walled by blissey and tyranitar with close combat. No one expects destiny bond and it lets you remove stuff aegislash normally would not

ev’s get youfaster than zeraora and you always KO blissey at +2 with CC.

:hydreigon:
Sub NP thunder wave
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Beats things it has no business beating with flinches. Really cheesy and 6-0s badly built balance.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1287731148
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1287875486

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey there, here to drop some sets I had fun to use.

slowbro.gif

Slowbro @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psychic/ Psyshock
- Ice Beam/ Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower

Slowbro specs is a funny one because most of the time people won’t except your Sowbro to do any kind of damage. As it often runs only Future sigh + Scald, a lot of persons don’t hesitate to switch their Toxapex in front of Slowbro or switch something like Tapu koko or Rillaboom expecting you to fire a Future sigh. You can even surprise Heatran as it will often try to taunt you after a Magma storm to prevent you from using Teleport.

You can consider running Psyshock instead of Psychic for Blissey but you won’t OHKO Physical defensive Pex. You can also run Hydro pump to OHKO Heatran if you’re not affraid about the miss.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 296-350 (97.3 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 362-426 (106.1 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 255-300 (90.7 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Heatran: 276-326 (71.5 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Slowbro Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Heatran: 378-446 (97.9 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

jirachi.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Charge Beam
- Rest
- Stored Power

This set can be particularly dangerous if you manage to kill the mons that threaten a lot Jirachi as without strong super effective moves it’s really hard to prevent Cosmic power set up. Charge beam + Serene grace give you a 100% spa boost and a way to hit dark types (like Mandibuzz for instance). After some boosts, Stored power will destroy every non dark type mons. Can be a funny set to play in Screen HO teams for instance. (You can consider playing Wish over Rest but as you don’t have any slot for Protect Rest may just be better).

tapulele.gif

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss

Another set up sweeper that mainly rely on the fact that people will fear the Specs lele and switch into a defensive answer when you arrive on the field. This will give you some turns to start boosting your defenses. Max def Tapu lele after an Iron Defense eats physical hits really well and after some Calm Mind Stored power will start destroying every non Dark type mons but you don’t even care about Dark types as you can Draining Kiss them and restore all your health. The things that really annoy this set are some Steel types like Heatran especially if they run Toxic, but they will still take incredible damages on stored power if they don’t come immediately.

View attachment 318946

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Charge Beam
- Rest
- Stored Power

This set can be particularly dangerous if you manage to kill the mons that threaten a lot Jirachi as without strong super effective moves it’s really hard to prevent Cosmic power set up. Charge beam + Serene grace give you a 100% spa boost and a way to hit dark types (like Mandibuzz for instance). After some boosts, Stored power will destroy every non dark type mons. Can be a funny set to play in Screen HO teams for instance. (You can consider playing Wish over Rest but as you don’t have any slot for Protect Rest may just be better).
Emvee has showcased this set with Snore > Charge Beam with Weakness Policy > Leftovers.
Snore not only hits Dark types, but also makes Jirachi do something while asleep, with a 60% chance to flinch thanks to Serene Grace.

Emvee has showcased this set with Snore > Charge Beam with Weakness Policy > Leftovers.
Snore not only hits Dark types, but also makes Jirachi do something while asleep, with a 60% chance to flinch thanks to Serene Grace.
Tbh, that just makes Jirachi crit/Taunt bait. It needs the SpA boosts to pose a threat. You can run Wish>Rest, at the cost of being status bait to an extent.

Keep the heat coming guys, I need it to cook my bacon.

:protective pads: PROTECTIVE PADS :protective pads:
"Holder's moves are protected from adverse contact effects, except Pickpocket"
This is a very interesting item in SS OU, where Rocky Helmet, Rough Skin, Iron Barbs and other miscellaneous contact effect have been very common throughout every phase of this generation.
Even if it isn't the main choice for the few Pokémon that could make use of it, I think it's worth trying it out for a couple: Zeraora and Urshifu-Rapid Strike.

:sm/zeraora:
Zeraora @ Protective Pads
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot

This really appreciates Rillaboom being in the meta, especially as a teammate of course, for two reasons that are relevant for this particular set. First of all, not running HDB makes it that Zeraora takes Stealth Rock damage, so Grassy Terrain's recovery is appreciated. Even more important is Grass Knot, which obviously gets powered up. This allows Zeraora to break through Ground types on its own, opening the path for itself to further weaken the opposing team. Of course, there are players who know Grass Knot is a thing and can take advantage of that by switching into Ferrothorn or Rocky Helmet Corviknight to chip it down. Remember, Grass Knot is a contact move! If you use it against a Moltres or a Ferrothorn, you can get burnt or take chip damage. With the pads though, this is a non-issue.
Overall, the main appeal of Protective Pads on Zeraora is to remove pesky Rocky Helmets from pokèmon that zeraora can lure in, breaking through Ground types for other teammates that hate them, while still keeping all the positives Zeraora brings to the team (speed control, electric immunity, electric + fighting coverage + knock off).

:sm/urshifu-rapid strike:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Protective Pads
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch / Aqua Jet / Bulk Up / Taunt

Bootleg Urshifu is the only Urshifu we can use now and with all of the Helmets on Slowbro, Corviknight and Toxapex kinda + Ferrothorns aching to switch into Surging Strikes and Tank Chomp destroying its health, you really need to play it carefully else it dies taking no damage from direct attacks in a handful of turns. However, while Choice Band is pretty devastating, I don't think you should ever use this as a wallbreaker (or we would se Keldeo everywhere) because the typing doesn't help it and coverage isn't amazing. However, what you can do is use it as a proactive Ground type killer. The first three slots are no brainers: double STAB + U-turn (you ain't breaking with this set, so having a move to generate momentum is absolutely key to this set). Water Fire Grass core don't like it one bit, as the few mons that can switch into Surging Strikes are either taken advantage of with U-turn or hit hard by CC. The last slot is where you can get creative: Thunder Punch OHKOs Pelipper after SR 81.3% of the time, 100% of the times after a Surging Strikes with no SR. It's a very weak, situational move, but you can use it to boost your rain matchup because no other mons on Rain teams want to switch into this thing. Aqua Jet is for revenge killing purposes and picking off weakened offensive threats, Taunt is interesting to thwart its usual switch-ins. Bulk Up is the most interesting option for me, especially alongside U-turn, because it brings more depth to Urshifu's play. U-turn for early pivoting and chip damage, Bulk Up for late game cleaning (its counters get a lot of time on the field so you have plenty of chances to remove them). U-turn after a Bulk Up is quite interesting when faced by something like Slowking or Tangrowth. Whether they stay in or predict the double switch, you get decent damage and momentum.

:sm/urshifu-rapid strike:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Protective Pads
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch / Aqua Jet / Bulk Up / Taunt
I've been seeing this a LOT lately and it's a surprisingly good bluff against some stuff and makes pivoting around it with stuff like Ferrothorn or Helmet Lando surprisingly difficult because it can just switch back to CC or Surging to kill both.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Remember VinCune, the annoying Suicune set that single handedly made Suicune B+? Well now it’s fallen off. But a new dog has entered into town...

:ss/raikou:

BreakKou (Raikou) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Discharge
- Protect

+1 252+ SpA Raikou Discharge vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 290-344 (95.3 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ SpA Raikou Discharge vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 314-372 (91.2 - 108.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ SpA Raikou Discharge vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 328-387 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This set is annoying to fight from personal experience. Even though this set is walled by any Ground type that decides to enter the field, this set has the classic VinCune attributes. Sub Calm Mind with a move that has a 30% chance to do something annoying and Protect. What’s not to love? That Ground weakness is pretty bad though. If only something could kill those Ground types...

:ss/crawdaunt:

what is stall (Crawdaunt) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Endure
- Aqua Jet

252+ Atk Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Landorus-Therian: 488-576 (152.9 - 180.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(It’s an OHKO regardless of set)

252+ Atk Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 292-348 (69.5 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

(credits to Ian_Yo for this set)

Yeah, this Pokemon is an absolute monster. It single handedly 6-0s stall with its ferociously strong Crabhammers. Endure is used as to maintain Crawdaunt’s longevity throughout a match. The rest of the set is standard. The only real issue is that these guys get murdered by Garchomp. Luckily, we have a screen setter.

:ss/xatu:

birb (Xatu) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Light Screen
- Reflect

This bird is supposed to set up screens, which, even though quite mediocre in a meta where Defog and Dragapult are pretty common, can still pose a fearsome threat. This Pokemon is like how Uxie is in ZU sometimes, a Screens pivot. It isn’t supposed to do massive damage, it’s just supposed to set screens and get the hell out. Even though it gets slaughtered by Garchomp’s Stone Edge, it’s still fine. It also beats other Stealth Rock setters too, so that’s neat.

On the subject of Protective Pads, here's another (albeit less common) 'Mon I've been enjoying:

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Protective Pads
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Drill Run / Psychic Fangs
- Swords Dance

Damage Doggo's usage fell off due to how many of its targets - Volcarona, Zapdos, Moltres, Ferrothorn, Helmet/Bunker Pex, etc - punish Tough Claws, but with Pads, that's not a problem anymore. After what was probably way too much testing for a 'Mon that only me and five other people use, I honestly feel that Pads are the best item for SD Roc right now; yeah, the extra damage from Life Orb is nice, but that doesn't matter if you get one hit off before being burned, does it? =P

Remember VinCune, the annoying Suicune set that single handedly made Suicune B+? Well now it’s fallen off. But a new dog has entered into town...

:ss/raikou:

BreakKou (Raikou) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Discharge
- Protect

+1 252+ SpA Raikou Discharge vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 290-344 (95.3 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ SpA Raikou Discharge vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 314-372 (91.2 - 108.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ SpA Raikou Discharge vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 328-387 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This set is annoying to fight from personal experience. Even though this set is walled by any Ground type that decides to enter the field, this set has the classic VinCune attributes. Sub Calm Mind with a move that has a 30% chance to do something annoying and Protect. What’s not to love? That Ground weakness is pretty bad though. If only something could kill those Ground types...

:ss/crawdaunt:

what is stall (Crawdaunt) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Endure
- Aqua Jet

252+ Atk Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Landorus-Therian: 488-576 (152.9 - 180.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(It’s an OHKO regardless of set)

252+ Atk Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 292-348 (69.5 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

(credits to Ian_Yo for this set)

Yeah, this Pokemon is an absolute monster. It single handedly 6-0s stall with its ferociously strong Crabhammers. Endure is used as to maintain Crawdaunt’s longevity throughout a match. The rest of the set is standard. The only real issue is that these guys get murdered by Garchomp. Luckily, we have a screen setter.

:ss/xatu:

birb (Xatu) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Light Screen
- Reflect

This bird is supposed to set up screens, which, even though quite mediocre in a meta where Defog and Dragapult are pretty common, can still pose a fearsome threat. This Pokemon is like how Uxie is in ZU sometimes, a Screens pivot. It isn’t supposed to do massive damage, it’s just supposed to set screens and get the hell out. Even though it gets slaughtered by Garchomp’s Stone Edge, it’s still fine. It also beats other Stealth Rock setters too, so that’s neat.
I say this in the nicest possible way but I don't think any of those are viable.

Mono electric Raikou is infinitely walled by the multiple ground types that every team runs at least one of. You might as well just run Specs Regieleki because at least that has serious offensive presence without 3+ Calm Minds.

Endure Crawdaunt is almost strictly worse than Swords Dance. It doesn't break stall without Swords Dance and even against offense after a Salac boost you're still slower than stuff like Latios.

Xatu is a cool Pokémon but it's too slow to set up dual screens. Espeon is much better at this and... it isn't really good. Xatu's niche is an anti-Ferrothorn / Skarmory / Hippo tank that can switch in for free and safely Teleport away repeatedly. Granted the meta is extremely unkind to it right now so it isn't extremely viable one way or another.

Edit: I misread the Crawdaunt set. Custap is neat I guess but I'd still rather just use Sash + SD or standard LO against virtually all team types.

Last edited:

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
BreakthrU89
Omari P here.

I say this in the nicest possible way but I don't think any of those are viable.

Mono electric Raikou is infinitely walled by the multiple ground types that every team runs at least one of. You might as well just run Specs Regieleki because at least that has serious offensive presence without 3+ Calm Minds.

Endure Crawdaunt is almost strictly worse than Swords Dance. It doesn't break stall without Swords Dance and even against offense after a Salac boost you're still slower than stuff like Latios.

Xatu is a cool Pokémon but it's too slow to set up dual screens. Espeon is much better at this and... it isn't really good. Xatu's niche is an anti-Ferrothorn / Skarmory / Hippo tank that can switch in for free and safely Teleport away repeatedly. Granted the meta is extremely unkind to it right now so it isn't extremely viable one way or another.
I actually think you're extremely wrong about raikou, I know for a fact you are wrong about xatu, and I want to see how the crab does. Xatu is a really good screen setter and hazard blocker that is actually A LOT bulkier than espeon i didnt know where that came from unless u were referring to speed, which this really doesnt need since it has bulk.

As far as the raikou set goes, u have 5 other teammates on ur squad and like the suicune set which was walled by storm drainers and water absorb mons the whole idea is get rid of this and then setup late game. you're not trying to 6-0 or just solo a squad with a groud mon. in fact I know many examples of this where ud easily 4/5 - 0 given that the grounds are gone. The electric regi is incredibly frail and there is value in time passing and pressure stalling with calm mind in protect thart isnt the same as fireing off specs thunder cages/thunderbolts.

Lastly, I have no idea about the crab. it's kinda ridiculous but again I can see A LOT of situations where it would do incredibly well, especially late game or mid game where u fire off a faster knock off. focus sash could work too

BreakthrU89
Omari P here.

I actually think you're extremely wrong about raikou, I know for a fact you are wrong about xatu, and I want to see how the crab does. Xatu is a really good screen setter and hazard blocker that is actually A LOT bulkier than espeon i didnt know where that came from unless u were referring to speed, which this really doesnt need since it has bulk.

As far as the raikou set goes, u have 5 other teammates on ur squad and like the suicune set which was walled by storm drainers and water absorb mons the whole idea is get rid of this and then setup late game. you're not trying to 6-0 or just solo a squad with a groud mon. in fact I know many examples of this where ud easily 4/5 - 0 given that the grounds are gone. The electric regi is incredibly frail and there is value in time passing and pressure stalling with calm mind in protect thart isnt the same as fireing off specs thunder cages/thunderbolts.

Lastly, I have no idea about the crab. it's kinda ridiculous but again I can see A LOT of situations where it would do incredibly well, especially late game or mid game where u fire off a faster knock off. focus sash could work too
Make a team with Endure Custap Crawdaunt and Sub Cm Discharge Raikou that can ladder anywhere reasonable and I'll believe you. But from what meta trends I know it seems like both sets are awful. Crawdaunt without SD or Life Orb can't break bulky cores as well and while Custap might improve the offense matchup a bit it doesn't seem like the trade off is worth it. Raikou imo is just vincune with worse typing, bulk, and STAB.

As for Xatu vs Espeon I'm not sure why you're calling Xatu bulkier when it has 10 more base def but 20 less base sp def (same HP). Yeah Xatu gets Roost but if you're desperate to keep it alive Espeon gets morning sun. But the traditional dual screener generally wants to be fast. I just don't see many advantages Xatu has over Espeon besides Teleport / Uturn.

Edit: I mean in the dual screener role. Xatu has its own niche outside of screens.

I get that you're T-Pozzle and kind of a big name in this particular thread but at least Salac crab + Discharge Raikou seem unreliable at best, awful at worst.

Last edited:

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Honestly, I hate my work too. I might just delete the post since I know I have better shit. I tried it out to quite disappointing results, and I had to completely remodel my team to do anything. I wouldn’t say it’s even unreliable at best, I’d say it’s just flat out bad lmao.

I wouldn’t say it’s even unreliable at best, I’d say it’s just flat out bad lmao.
That’s why it’s heat my man

Anyway, I suggest you swap out Protect on Raikou for Scald or Toxic, obviously it won’t be as effective with stalling but it would be far more effective at everything else, and that’s enough to make the change worthwhile in my eyes. Or just pair it with Toxic Zeraora, that should lure all the necessary targets.

As for Crawdaunt, I’d sooner pair the normal set with webs support since Endure + Custap seems like it’s trying to fulfill the same role but just does it worse.

:sm/zapdos-galar: :sm/cresselia: - OR - :sm/zapdos-galar: :sm/clefable:

Try to imagine yourself doing this:
Open the OU tier Pokédex, scroll through to the end where you find Zapdos-Galar. Click it and built it Choice Band. Now come back into the OU tier Pokédex and scroll through carefully. Yes, you thought correctly and saw very well: everything gets murked.
Now look at Zapdos-Galar again, specifically at its speed and its moves. 100 base Speed, Brave Bird. Not particularly fast, kills itself quite quickly = easily revenge killed or passively chipped down.
Now think about what moves would mitigate those issues. Aren't they Thunder Wave + Healing Wish/Lunar Dance? Yes they are.

Enter Cresselia / Clefable. Both can spread paralysis AND rejuvinate Zapdos-Galar completely. Of course Cresselia is 100000 time more HEAT so she takes first place here.
STRATEGY: click buttons with Zapdos, make progress with Cress/Clef to support Zapdos. Once Zap is low and Cress/Clef has outlived its usefulness, just sacrifice it and bring Zapdos back to life. Click buttons again. Drill Peck is here because in certain scenarios you may want to click a Flying STAB that won't drain your life, especially after the Healing Wish / Lunar Dance. Crazy, right?
TAKE HOME MESSAGE: use Choice Band Zapdos, it kills everything

:zapdos-galar: :cresselia:

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Drill Peck

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lunar Dance

:zapdos-galar: :clefable:

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Drill Peck

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I hate my work too. I might just delete the post since I know I have better shit. I tried it out to quite disappointing results, and I had to completely remodel my team to do anything. I wouldn’t say it’s even unreliable at best, I’d say it’s just flat out bad lmao.
That’s why it’s heat my man

Anyway, I suggest you swap out Protect on Raikou for Scald or Toxic, obviously it won’t be as effective with stalling but it would be far more effective at everything else, and that’s enough to make the change worthwhile in my eyes. Or just pair it with Toxic Zeraora, that should lure all the necessary targets.

As for Crawdaunt, I’d sooner pair the normal set with webs support since Endure + Custap seems like it’s trying to fulfill the same role but just does it worse.
I think SubCM Raikou is probably OK fwiw, but I'd run Scald over Protect just 'cuz mono Elec coverage is supremely awful in a meta where Lando-T is S rank and Garchomp should also be S rank. At least you can pressure them/Ferro/Rilla/etc. with Scald. If you're running Protect you might as well go all the way and run VinCune at that point. SubTox could also work I guess, like JTD said, but I personally think it sounds too passive when you're looking to set up Calm Minds anyway, as at the end of the day Raikou isn't Suicune and lacks certain things like 101 HP Substitutes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)