Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrea

/me cresselias
From a girl's perspective, I would say that a guy's height is important. I mean, there are couples out there with a taller girl, but most of the time we shun the thought of dating someone shorter. I have yet to encounter that problem tho... =)

I've been 5'2" since 8th grade. I've grown 'out' but not 'up' lulz. I mean, sometimes it sucks to be all short, but other times I use it as a crutch... "Oh no, I can't reach the box on the top shelf! Would soooooomeone help me reach it?" Awesome flirtation opportunity haha

I'm 6'6 also. It's alright, but it does come with disadvantages. I need my car seat rolled all the way back, and even then my head will scrape the roof, aeroplanes are (even more) dramaticly uncomfortable and clothes, especially shirts/tee shirts for some reason, tend to be a little short. The worst thing about it, though, is that everyone asks me how tall I am. I'm not offended at all, but it can be annoying and it is a constant reminder of how much I stick out. There's not much being tall practically helps with, everything is built with the average person in mind anyway so I've yet to need to hand an old lady something from the top shelf, but some people like tall men so that might come in handy. ;D

At 5'8, you're hardly short. Everyone has a few things about themselves they'd like to change but in the end, you're nowhere near abnormal and I doubt anyone cares but yourself.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So smooth, Lovebite.

I'm 19 and 5' 6/7 depending on what shoes I'm wearing. I know I'm short, and my friends never let me forget it, and while I was insecure about it for the final few years of secondary school when everyone around me started shooting up, I've never really found it affects me too much since I'm very good at sports and generally a bit of a cocky git. I think as long as you have other attributes that you can flaunt, height isn't something you should worry too much about.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll admit, I'd rather be with a somewhat taller guy. Not like a foot taller, but a few inches seems right to me. That being said, if I was taller than a guy I liked I wouldn't avoid it just because of that.

I'm 5'7 myself. It's actually taller than both my parents, though I know I'm not talll, so until my brother got taller than me I was the one to reach for things. I'm kind of glad that's over.

I'm 18 and I'm like 5'6" or something. I thought I was 5'7" for a while but I figured out my mom messed up when she was measuring my height so I'm probably actually an inch or two shorter.

And yeah, I'd definitely rather date a guy that was taller than me. 5'9 or higher is alright in my eyes. I just wouldn't feel right being with a guy that is shorter than me because I'm sort of short. I was 5'2" like two years ago and now I've grown a bit yay. :]

Using an average, people are rarely actually on it, such is life. If height gives presence, there are ways to work around it.

Besides, males grow until they're 21 ..

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah dudes I'm 23 and I'm stuck at 5'6". Which is actually huge for me because I thought I'd be 5'3" forever. I was always small growing up, it might even have to do with the fact I was so sick as an infant that I barely grew the first 3 years of my life. So for me, being at a somewhat normal human height is good enough, all things considered. I'm still taller than a 5'2-5'4 girl so my options aren't totally limited.

I'm 5'10 and still wish I were taller. I play a lot of basketball though. It's nice being quicker than most of the guys I play with (and having a 6'2 wingspan somehow is cool), but with 2 more inches I could dunk >=(

In all other aspects of life, I'm completely comfortable with my height and would never want to be much taller. Anything beyond 6' would probably be a nuisance.

Im 5' 7" and 14. Im hoping to grow a lot more... but my parents were rather short while my uncle's were pretty tall. Does that make a factor in my height?
Im hoping to be at least 5' 10" or so...

im a shade over 6'0" which i guess is the most ideal height. i can't say that i obsesses over it or even think about it, but it would suck being short. i was a lot taller comparatively when i was younger though--about 5'8" when i was 13.

i just haven't grown much since then.

I'm around 5'10'' to 5'11'' at the 185-190lbs range at the moment.

My height's pretty average in the US but luckily I have broad shoulders and the weight I have has stacked on pretty well, so I'm very comfortable with my height.

I'm crazy about Mixed Martial Arts though and plenty of times I've wished I were about 6'4'' so I could put on 60-70 pounds and still look fairly lean. With my genetics I could never be a decent sized heavyweight and If I did I'd be much shorter than everybody else.

Some advantages and disadvantages from my perspective:

Advantages to height:
-Longer reach
-Larger frame (you can put on much more muscle)
-Girls like taller guys normally but self confidence is what takes you places
-I actually find taller girls a lot sexier. Taller, not freakishly tall tho
-For atheletes weight is usually coupled with height. Many very talented high school kids are turned down from colleges because they lack the genetics to play at the higher level

Disadvantages:
-Higher center of gravity, this sucks for wrestlers especially if they're tall and compete in a lower weight class
-two men at the same weight have noticable differences in muscle mass if their heights vary by a large margin. The shorter guy has more muscle and the taller guy has more weight from the longer limbs
-Lower height typically benefits powerlifters and makes many excersises easier
-You can't sit in many sports cars. If I was 6'4'' I could never sit in my dream car
-Finally, bouncers are all dicks because they think because they're 6'2'' and weigh 250lbs they can be assholes to everybody. I guess this could go in the advantages section

For everyday things height doesn't really matter. However it is one of the first things I notice when I see someone so really it's all subjective. It only matters if you think it does. Otherwise it's irrational to be worried about it as it's something you have pretty much no control over. It's genetics.

From a girl's perspective, I would say that a guy's height is important. I mean, there are couples out there with a taller girl, but most of the time we shun the thought of dating someone shorter. I have yet to encounter that problem tho... =)

I've been 5'2" since 8th grade. I've grown 'out' but not 'up' lulz. I mean, sometimes it sucks to be all short, but other times I use it as a crutch... "Oh no, I can't reach the box on the top shelf! Would soooooomeone help me reach it?" Awesome flirtation opportunity haha
I've yet to encounter the shorter-than-me problem either; but I'm the opposite from you, I grew up and not out. All of my girl friends are shorter than me, which makes me feel a little bit of a giant sometimes but it's ok (I'm about 5'8 I *think*).

I'm a 15 year old male and I'm around 5'10" so I'm happy with my height, especially knowing that I'll continue to grow for a while. Honestly height shouldn't have a profound effect on your life; it's mostly an asthetic unless you want to be in a profession that requires you to be a certain height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)