How do you play Pokemon in-game?

I had a full team I traded over from Platinum right before I headed to Kanto all around level 40 or so. I planned that team out for a while.

Mamoswine, Jolteon, Hypno, Tauros, Rhpyerior and Gengar

I mostly play it as I would as a kid, I pick a starter that looks cool, I start my adventure and catch pokemons that look appealing to me.
I dont care about IV,EV and I have only minor concerns with Natures, like someone else said, i wouldnt let a Adamant Abra live. But a a +def - special def Abra would work for me.

I dont play competively on the DS, breeding and RNG stuff is simply way to boring, I use Shoddy for that.

when I play the main adventure, I always try to finish the game at the lowest level possible, not because I love challenge, but because I hate levelling.

I pick a starter that looks cool, and catches what looks cool, and only minor concerns with nature. Seriously, who wants a modest machop?

for competitive stuff, I use shoddy. I have no idea how the DS Wi-Fi works and I'm too lazy to breed and RNG ( I have no idea what RNG means)

I pick out challanges for myself usually, but sometimes I don't. Recently, for instance, I started playing FRLG A LOT... so that I could know EXACTLY how worthwhile ingame pokemon can be. I've used over half of them by now. :P

Well, except for the first few times through, then I just pick things and go with it. For instance, I have a planned team for Platinum (nevermind that I don't have a DS, and will probubly never get one, and DEFINATELY won't get platinum) that has Infernape, Staraptor, Floatsel, Espeon, Scyther, and Weavile (bred Ice Punch through a breeding chain) on the team. (See the resemblance between them all?)

well usually i somehow picked a starter then first flyier i meet and then finish usual team consiting of fire type water type grass type electric type ground type and something i meet on the way and i like it. distributing HMs between all my pokes and trying to cover as much attack types between them all and i never bother with natures/EVs/IVs or anything but i usually do spend lots of time leveling my pokes

well thats what i done pretty much everytime i started playing a pokemon games ever since i played RED the first time but since i started playing pearl i started to become extremly fed up with this since i usually ended with pretty much same pokemons i always had

so in SS i still picked up a starter(typhlosion) and started to think thru my team a little bit more since but at first still ended with pretty much my standart team (typhlosion, pigeot, golem, red Gyarados, victrebell, raichu) well but then i started to switch my pokemon as i progress thru the game i started to switch pokemon first i switched my victrebell with gengar then when i got lugia a switched it for pidgeot and that was team with which i got all 16 badges but before beating E4 again a switched typhlosin with adamant scizor that i partially EV trained and before beating RED i switched Raichu with Weavile(that was acually a bad choice for red) and i love this team now :D

Im kinda anal about how a play. I will usually play through catch/hatch a well balanced team consisting of a flyer. Usually start with a base team of three until a little before or after the fourth gym. Then use the team of four until Im done with the fourth and fifth gyms. Add a fifth member to the team and maybe a sixth. If not then I get the sixth before the final gym.

When leveling I ONLY level 2 levels at a time. So if I got a team of all 30's I will pick one pokemon and level him to 32 then move to the second and level him to 32 so they all kind of stay in the same range.

When leveling I ONLY level 2 levels at a time. So if I got a team of all 30's I will pick one pokemon and level him to 32 then move to the second and level him to 32 so they all kind of stay in the same range.
LMAO! AT least I'm not the ONLY one who does that.
My playing style is...I'll take the Starter as the "Strongest" and he'll constantly be 2 Levels ahead of his team-mates.

And what I did with my most recent game, SoulSilver, was to bring in Pokes from my Platinum as soon as I could. That team was my "Johto" Team, and I used it from New Bark to E4(Vers.1).
That team ended with:

-Feraligatr(starter)
-Ampharos(caught)
-Tyranitar(Traded From Plat as a Larvitar)
-Honchkrow(Traded from Plat as a Murkrow)
-Blaziken(Traded from Plat as a Torchic)
-Red Gyarados

And the whole team ended the Johto part of the game in their 50s.XD

Then, I then spammed the Union Room, to transfer my whole box of Competitive-Level Pokemon, and picked out 6 for my Kanto Journey. Had to delete BrickBreak on my unused CB-Mence(That was breeded a LONG TIME AGO.) but it was all good.

Team:
-Gallade(Standard SD Set)
-Infernape(Physically Based Mix-Ape)
-Salamence(CB-Mence)
-Kingdra(Novelty Special Set)
-Weavile(Taunt Set)
-PorygonZ(Standard Nasty Plot set)

ALOT of sets than hardly anyone uses in competitive play, so I chose to spend sometime with these 6 more:P

Currently fighting E4(Vers.2) :)

I have 6 badges atm on HeartGold. My team is something i've never had before (Each run through I get different 'mons): Meganium, Nidoqueen, Slowking, Ampharos, Scyther and Espeon which i've evolved just this minute (At level 14 :D). They are all around level 30 except Espeon. I don't have a flyer nor can I be bothered catching and training one so I just have to spend all my money on repels and trek everywhere. At least my fashion case is filling by the second.

I just got HeartGold today. What I plan to do is send over low-level competitive pokemon I bred in platinum (in anticipation lol) and play through with those, like I did for Platinum. I prepared pokes mostly from the Johto era, like Horsea -> Seadra -> Kingdra, so it feels all nostalgic and stuff.

I soft rested my Heart Gold for an Adamant Totodile. I eventually got one, but It took forever. Never again.

I normally just raise my starter to its second evolution form and carry on from there.

I always choose grass-starter, no questions asked. And most of the time just play through it not caring about natures. Sometimes I plan certain things ahaid (I'm using surf pikachu from PBR in my new ss run, from the part my starter actually hits that level) And I would like to use yanmega, but if I can't catch one in a reasonable amount of time, I'll settle for butterfree.

After that I keep levels equal, of something levels up it moves to the bottom of the roster to make place for the next. Provides a bit of extra challenge to (though not much, and nuzlock will become repetitive because of the dying).

i gotta say some stuff thought, after playing soul silver for a while my love for scyther and scizor grew a lot, i wasted 3 days breeding a scyther from a female one i got in the bug catching contest and a random bug poke, when a male one showed up i put both male and female ones instead and started breeding for a adamant tech one, he is a scizor at level 41 now thanks to my friend and his magic meat coat and STILL got vaccum wave, i say to anyone that play HGSS to get one because not only they are good in-game but also look cool.

I usually do starter solos after I have played the game once. I might play the original Gold Version again, my 3rd time. I think this time I am going to prohibit myself from killing wild pokemon and from using pokemon centers. It is going to be hard but it will provide me a challenge.

I go through and train my starter + whatever Pokemon I like but can't normally use because of poor stats/move pool (Meganium, Politoad, Farfetch'd) and don't care about Natures (except for the obviously bad, Hasty Slowbro was the worst I have found so far) EVs or IVs. I keep my lowest level Pokemon in front until it's the highest, and wait to gym 5/6 untill I get more than 3 Pokemon so leveling is easyer. The only time I ever really catch anything is if I can trade it for something good or it's not in my Pokedex already (so I don't have to catch it later).

Instead of catching important Pokemon (Red Gyara, Ho-Oh, Groudon) right away, I try to wait till I complete the game so I can get good IVs + good natures. If it's like Red Gyara, and I have to catch it too move on, then I'll just IV it/ get a proper Synchro Pokemon right then so I don't waste it.

I have a Synchro Natu for each nature for cases like Gyara and Ho-Oh.

For the entire Gen 1, everyone thought that Ash and Red were the same people. lol

They are actually completely unrelated and don't even have the same clothes or Pokemon other than the red hat, Pikachu, Snorlax, and Charizard (Lapras is only in Gen IV to take advantage of the Hail weather effect on Mt Silver, it was supposed to be Mewtwo, but they made it Espeon in Gen 2).

I always try and have my starter two levels higher than my other Pokémon (I'm glad to see that I am not the only one). I usually catch a flying Poke. After that I try and catch every single Pokémon that I see that I have not yet caught. When I beat the E4 in HG I ended up with:

Electabuzz Lv. 43 @ Magnet
Attacks: T-Bolt, Swift, Low Kick, T-Punch

Espeon Lv. 43 @ Choice Specs (You bet that did some damage)
Attacks: Swift, Future Sight, Shadow Ball, Psybeam

Typhlosion Lv. 45 @ Charcoal
Attacks: Quick Attack, Blast Burn, Swift, Flamethrower

Mamoswine Lv. 43 @ Choice Specs (To outspeed Dragonites)
Attacks: Ancientpower, Strength, Ice Fang, E-Quake

Poliwrath Lv. 42 @ Muscle Band
Attacks: Mud Shot, Body Slam, Waterfall, Submission

Pidgeotto Lv. 32
Attacks: Twister, Pluck, Fly, Quick Attack

Okay, well for my first playthroughs, I'd pick the starter that had the most badass-yet-not-funky-looking final EVO out of the fire/water starters. Grass just never appealed to me for some reason. Anyway, so this is how it went down:

Yellow: Pikachu, of course.
Blue: Squirtle!
Silver & Crystal: Cyndaquil
Sapphire: Torchic (Though I kind of regretted it after I saw what my cute little chicky pokemon evolved into)
Ruby: Mudkip (Swampert wasn't very good-looking, either, but I still didn't want to choose Treeko)
LG: I picked Squirtle because that was what I had in my Blue Version.
FR: I picked Charmander because it was FIRE RED and I felt it was fitting.
Pearl: Piplup, because everyone else was choosing Chimchar and I wanted to try something different.

Well when I first started pokemon, I would level up my starter to a ridiculously high level and keep my other pokemon pretty much random and I used them whenever I felt like it. I remember my team in Yellow was something like this:

Pikachu, level 65 and Blastoise, level 100, and some other fodder pokemon including Hitmonchan, because I recently came across a "journal" entry about my pokemon adventure that I had written at the time. LOL. Anyway, after teaching my Blastoise Ice Beam from that TM the vending machine girl gave me, I think I just went crazy and defeated the E4 several times.

Then in Silver, they added genders, and I was pleased to find out that my starter, Cyndaquil, was a female. At that time I had no idea about gender ratios, but at the time somebody told me that female pokemon were stronger. Then I went through my journey and caught a Mareep, and I remember evolving my Togepi and Eevee really "early" at like levels 9 and 29, respectively, and my friends were all jealous. Then I leveled my Typhlosion up to level 100 and it had the moveset Flamethrower/Earthquake/ThunderPunch/Cut and it was UNSTOPPABLE. And I had a level ~70 Espeon. That was my favorite generation by far.

Then when RSE came out I grasped the concept of leveling up evenly and I trained my team accordingly with a decent balance of types. My Sapphire team was something like Minun, Ninetales, Brelloom, Altaria, Kyogre, and Sharpedo. But after reaching the E4 underleveled Kyogre basically dominated and ended up like 20 levels above the rest of my pokemon. Same thing basically happened in my Ruby version.

Then I didn't enjoy my FRLG experience very much, perhaps because the games were too similar to RBY, and I consequently do not remember much about them and I played through my Fire Red several times.

Then I finally got Pearl, and I got the other two starters I had missed from the GTS, and then I finally realized the importance of natures and after beating the game, I started breeding.

One thing I've noticed is that I've grown quite attached to the pokemon in my first playthrough for many of my games and I don't have the heart to start a new game. Maybe it's just the feeling of beating the Elite Four hundreds of times that makes you not want to start over, even though my pokemon have crappy natures and probably worse IVs. But I'm still attached to them and I haven't released them despite my great need for box space.

Well that was a long-winded speech but if you want to read the important part of this post:

Well, before I didn't care about leveling up evenly, or Natures. Now I go around SRing (so I don't waste pokeballs) for good-natured pokemon, which incidentally takes a lot of time. I also feel the need to level them up evenly, because it really bothered me when I needed to use a grass pokemon and my best one was like 30 levels weaker than my strongest pokemon. But all of this takes quite a lot out of the game, but I can't bring myself to play in the way I used to because I keep thinking, "My pokemon could have been so much stronger if it were Adamant (or other nature)!"

I haven't really tried any mono-type playthroughs or anything but I may consider it in the future, although what I really want is just to play the game without caring about natures or IVs or EVs or anything and just playing like I did before, when I was ignorant of all of this stuff. It was just more fun.

/endrant

Urgh. I have bad luck with HMs. I don't use HM slaves, nor have I caught a Flyer on HG, and I've found out none of my team can use Waterfall (Why Slowking can't beast me).

Urgh. I have bad luck with HMs. I don't use HM slaves, nor have I caught a Flyer on HG, and I've found out none of my team can use Waterfall (Why Slowking can't beast me).
Did you start with Totodile or catch the red Gyarados? They make excellent waterfall users. Not to mention Feraligatr can use Rock Climb if you want to make your way to Red.

Furret is one of the best/easiest HM Slave to get/use in HG/SS. It learns Surf, Strenght, Cut, Rock Smash, and Whirlpool. All it lacks Fly and Waterfall (a pretty good move, anyway, so teaching it to one of your other Pokemon isn't that bad).

Furret is one of the best/easiest HM Slave to get/use in HG/SS. It learns Surf, Strenght, Cut, Rock Smash, and Whirlpool. All it lacks Fly and Waterfall (a pretty good move, anyway, so teaching it to one of your other Pokemon isn't that bad).
I'm afraid Furret cannot Rock Climb either; this was the main reason I had to get a Geodude just to use the HM on for, mainly, getting to Red. (I NN'ed my Furret "Dustbuster" after KillerNacho's :) )

I'm afraid Furret cannot Rock Climb either; this was the main reason I had to get a Geodude just to use the HM on for, mainly, getting to Red. (I NN'ed my Furret "Dustbuster" after KillerNacho's :) )
I'd have to say the best none-flyer HM slave is Munchlax. Not only does it have the ability Pick Up (out of two abilities), it can learn surf, strength, whirlpool, rock smash, and rock climb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)