In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My impressions:

Galvantula: Frail, but hits hard. Good avaliability appearing just before Flying-Gym to kill Tranquills and Swannas.
Compoundeyes is a great ability but Thunder misses on the worst situations.
Speaking of TM Thunder, it has a good avaliability.
Mid/High Tier. High if it could learn Bug Buzz not as late as it can learn it.
With 7 level less or the like, Catlin's Musharna was a 3KO with Signal Beam.

Musharna: I envolved mine after learning Moonlight. Very useful at this point with Yawn/Hypnosis/Psybeam/Moonlight but its usefulness decreases through the game. I didn't use it against N and Ghetsis.
Mid tier.

Samurott: Useful, good but not great defenses and attack. Shell Blade at 17 is good and could go mixed with Surf and Shell Blade.
Also Megahorn is very useful, and Aqua Jet with priority. Torrent as ability is also good being mid-fast and Aqua Jet.
High tier.

Simisage: Useless until it learns Flame Burst, I envolved mine after that. Acrobatics is great ingame(I learned her with TM) for things that resist Fire, there are few useful items for ingame(Amulet Coin and Lucky Egg) avalaible at that point.
Very useful, also learns Yawn, for dangerous situations(letting it die and revenge kill with another) and Work Up, but frail to use 2 at the same time.

Mid tier. Maybe Mid/High

Lilligrant: Too good. Sleep Powder+Quiver Dance+Giga Drain and Own Tempo for avoid that annoying Confuse Ray and Swagger and for the future Petal Dance. Chrollophyll is almost useless, almost there is not Sun and +1 Quiver Dance is enough.
The only thing you have to do is to obtain Solar Stone at Nimbasa. To learn Giga Drain is not required, but recomendatted, you can go with Magical Leaf.
Sap Sippers and 1/4 Grass resistors are too rare.
She could sweep the Ghost-E4 entire team, It is true that Cofragigus is a setup fodder, but I wanted to test if Petal Dance activated Mummy, it does.
High tier.

Sawk: He solo'd Dark-E4 with Bulk Up+Rest+Revenge. I had hax because it never missed Revenge with 2 Sand Attack from his Scrafty
His slowliness could be annoying, but is very useful.

Mid/High tier.

Watchog: Not as bad as it looks, but not so good, but I didn't tested mine much.
Useful for catching pokemon, with Super Fang and Hypnosis.

Mid Tier.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I hope it isn't too late to bump this...

I just got Pokemon Black this weekend (wanted a supplement to White). Note that I'm not done with the game yet, so this is temporary.

Tepig - Destroyed the Fighting gym, which is otherwise one hell of a fight, and pretty good all around. Nothing spectacular though. Mid tier.
Pansage - Surprisingly, I really like Pansage. Work Up and Grass Knot are both available early, and it can evolve as soon as it learns Seed Bomb. Not as good as Lilligant from White, but still pretty damn good. High tier, but it isn't perfect.
Drilbur - Jesus, I have a Calm one and it still gets KOs left and right. Great Pokemon, took me a while to find though. High tier without a doubt.
Venipede - Just... no. It never really pulled off any KOs and I ended up dumping it by Clay. Low tier.
Scraggy - Similar boat as Drilbur, but without the tough-to-find factor. High tier.
Tynamo - Destroyed the Flying gym without evolving. And mostly without Eviolite.

Why is Tepig Mid-Tier?

I always thought Fire/Fighting STABS could take you through most of the game easily. Tepig crushes the Normal Gym, which would otherwise prove the biggest problem for me out of the 8 gyms.

I actually like the initial list, though I would move Golett to mid. Ghost is a pretty useful typing in-game, advantageous against 2/4 E4 members. STAB EQ and Fly (for some weird reason) are both pretty useful as well, the latter especially so if you don't want Siglyph.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why is Tepig Mid-Tier?

I always thought Fire/Fighting STABS could take you through most of the game easily. Tepig crushes the Normal Gym, which would otherwise prove the biggest problem for me out of the 8 gyms.
Tepig is on high tier, although some people haven't given him enough credit since Darumaka is such an amazing fire type. IMO it's almost like saying don't use Salamence because you could use Rayquaza. It's a good comparison shut it.

Why is Tepig Mid-Tier?

Normal gym isn't actually THAT bad, since Sawk easily smashes their heads in by outspeeding Watchog and raping with Double Kick. Throh is bulky enough to wait out the sleep, while Timburr is still somewhat decent, although not as good as the other two.

Tepig's over-reliance on Flame Charge to sweep is also another factor, I remember when I first played White, I removed Flame Charge on Emboar, and goddamnit, it kept dying. >.> Not to mention being outsped... I could only kill Durants with it when it came to E4 grinding, and they could flinchax me to death if I was unlucky. ugh.

^ Ahh, Sawk.

But Sawk is so icky.

I'll probably drop Emboar for Plumebird (can't remember his name ATM)

Also, you sonofabitch, you're Singaporean too.

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Actually, right now Emboar's moves are seriously lacking, although I didn't realize it got Hammer Arm at level 1 until just now. And compared to Samurott it doesn't have the same all-around usefulness. So Mid tier it is IMO.

^ Golett comes fairly late-game, so it won't be doing much without some grinding.
True. If it came earlier, it would make Mid no problem. However, it doesn't come ridiculously late (earlier than some Mid pokemon), and it's more useful than basically every pokemon in Low. I think it should still be Mid despite it's late availability, but barely.

I would like to question why Sigilyph is high-tier. Right now I only use him to Fly. For Subway I intend to make him pure support.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My personal opinion after a few playthroughs:

Oshawott, High Tier: is the first pokemon you get, and never disappoints, being able to pull its weight at any given point in the game.
Tepig, Mid Tier: its worth really decreases after the third gym IMO. Arm Thrust is just not a very good STAB at all, and you waste a lot of turns nicking your opponent with Flame Charge
Snivy, Low Tier: this thing failed miserably. I don't ****ing want to hit with just grass moves.
Lillpup, High Tier: Bite and Take Down are all generally acquired before the second gym! Hits like a truck until about the 7/8th gym ish when everyone else finally catches up and goes over it.
Pansear, Garbage Tier: Pansear blows, period. Incinerate? Are you ****ing kidding me?! Not very effective moves are doing more damage that STAB SE Incinerate.
Munna, Mid Tier: Definately very underrated, can take a good deal of hits for the team, and has decent offensive output as well. Just that speed...
Pidove, Mid Tier: Not a terrible pokemon, Air Cutter and Quick Attack are pretty useful, but really tails off in terms of performance mid-late game.
Drillbur, God Tier: OMFG! THIS! THING! IS! A! FRIGGIN! BEAST! Dig at lv 19? Are you effing with me? EQ, Rock Slide etc all come early as well. With the right TM support, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can stand in its way. I think whoever designed Drillbur intended for him to solo the entire game or something.
Tympole, Mid Tier: Must say, it really doesn't help that much. Its offenses aren't good enough for late game, and it doesn't exactly come super early for what it brings to the table. Good for about 3 gyms ish, thats it.
Timburr, Mid Tier: Just plain does not have the speed to accomplish much, does have the bulk to take hits though and offenses are decent, but Conk isn't as dominating a force as people make him out to be.
Petill, Mid Tier: Yeah it rapes face, I'll admit it. But for efficiency, its not actually that great. Considering how its only attack is basically Giga Drain. You usually have to set up to like +6, +6, +6 to make it work, thats not efficient at all.
Sandile, High Tier: A friggin beast with Assurance early on, not to mention you pick up Dig pretty quickly as well, whether it be via TM or level up. Both abilities are extremely useful in game, solid movepool.
Darumaka, High Tier: Another absolute monster, 90 Atk Hustle Fire Punch? 140 Atk Sheer Force Flare Blitz? Easily the hardest hitter in the game. The only reason I do not have it under god tier is because Hustle is kinda unreliabel early on.
Scraggy, High Tier: Slap an Eviolite on this thing and it just doesn't know how to die. You can either go with an all out Moxie attacker, or a Shed Skin bulk up sweeper. Dark+Fighting means you absolutely plow everything. You get Brick Break early as well. The only problem is speed, but once again, it doesn't seem to know how to die.
Dwebble, Mid Tier: Its actually pretty good. After a Shell Break, it can absolutely clean house. SR helps fuck with those annoying Emolgas.
Sigilyph, High Tier: I swear, you can ignore catching pokemon all together and just head straight for the desert. There are so many usable pokemon here and Sigilyph is just one of the, rapes face early on, but tails off a bit around the 6/7th gym ish, but returns strong for the elite 4.
Archen, God Tier: WHO GIVES A RATS ASS ABOUT DEFEATIST! NOTHING EVER OUTSPEEDS THIS THING ANYWAYS! I don't even bother slapping an item onto it. Since 99% of the time I'm just going to spam Acrobatics. At level 52, it outsped and took out Ghetsis's Hydreigon in one shot, BEAST! Thats what Archen is.
Solosis, Low Tier: This thing was always the one taking hits, I guess this just goes to show that pokemon that are good in game aren't necessarily good competitively. Likewise, pokemon that are good competitively aren't necessarily good in game.
Vanillite, Mid Tier: Offensively, it actually wasn't half bad, but it just couldn't survive anything!
Deerling, High Tier: This thing is WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too underrated. It gets access to Horn Leech, Double Edge, Return, Jump Kick, Megahorn, and Faint Attack. With Horn Leech, it can't even be considered frail.
Joltik, High Tier: An absolutely fantastic pokemon. With blistering speed and compoundeyes Thunder, it could wreck shit up. Its also a guaranteed win against Hydreigon with Bug Buzz. You even get to know what ability you get because Unnerve is announced!
Tynamo, Garbage Tier: WTF GAMEFREAK? THIS FRIGGIN THING IS SO DAMN RARE! I was actually pretty excited when I first saw it since I thought something this rare would be any good, and it theoretically would be as an Electross. But good luck getting it to evolve on its own. Have fun grinding people.
Axew, Low Tier: You get it way too late to be worth bothering with, too much grinding necessary to get it to become a Haxorus.
Deino, Garbage Tier: Hustle with crap attack, takes a friggin year to evolve, and comes uber late? Don't even bother if ur going for a speedrun.

I went blind reading all of that.

Also: Drilbur sucks till he evolves. Dig isn't that great, Metal Claw and Slash are shit.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I went blind reading all of that.

Also: Drilbur sucks till he evolves. Dig isn't that great, Metal Claw and Slash are shit.
I'll have what you're smoking

A.I.s aren't that smart, they'll nevers switch anyone out from dig. How are Metal Claw and Slash shit? 50 BP with a chance of raising you're attack is not a shit move for a pokemon in its teens. 70 BP move that crits easily when everyone else is struggling to get any coverage moves? yes please.

Scope Lens could be used with slash, I suppose.

10% chance to raise my attack never worked for me, Drilbur OHKOed everything that didn't resist Dig anyway.

I

Arcticblast

Finished Black today.

Tepig - Destroyed the Normal gym, which is otherwise one hell of a fight, and pretty good all around. Once you get Hammer Arm, it rapes face, and having Scald and Work Up is never a bad thing. However, it has its faults, particularly Speed and little coverage early on. Mid tier.
Pansage - Surprisingly, I really like Pansage. Work Up and Grass Knot are both available early, and it can evolve as soon as it learns Seed Bomb. Its only problem is its generally low power - without STAB, I often had trouble doing damage. So, not as good as Lilligant from White, but still pretty damn good. High tier.
Drilbur - Even with a hindering nature, Excadrill was one of my most important Pokemon. High tier without a doubt.
Venipede - Just... no. It never really pulled off any KOs and I ended up dumping it by Clay. Low tier.
Scraggy - Somehow, every time I used it it fell short of my expectations. Good, but overrated. Mid tier.
Tynamo - Oh my God, it is AMAZING. It destroyed the Flying gym for the most part. No weaknesses (Levitate, don't say anything about Cofagrigus changing that because you can switch out of Mummy), good bulk and great attacking stats make a good Pokemon. The issues? Speed and availability. 8% at best is ridiculous. Don't go looking for it, but if you happen to find one then CATCH IT. Mid tier for rarity.
Gothita - I picked up a Gothorita after the last Gym for a special attacker. Filled its role well and grew quickly, but it was a bit weak (and mine was Modest). Mid tier.

Gotta say Scraggy was much better than I thought, and much better than Krookodile or Sawk by far. Powerful STABs early (seriously, HJK OHKOs everything) and gargantuan defences to go with it.

Sawk is the greatest thing ever for most of the game. When you find one, you're at the normal gym, and it WRECKS! Inner Focus renders it immune to pesky enemy fake-outs, a base attack stat equal to the likes of Heracross will ensure that this single-stage mon doesnt get outclassed until well after the last gym, (damnit Terrakion) and double kick stops annoying rock-type stordymons right in their tracks. Epic. Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)