Metagame Inheritance

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I hate psurge (and you should too), and to show how dumb it is im gonna show you tech from another meta

Indeedee (Alakazam) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Expanding Force
- Shadow Ball/Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam/Mystical Fire
- Trick

Scarf zam proved to be very effective on STABmons+AAA, as it is a revenge killer with astonishing speed, inmunity to priority, and power as expanding force is stupid. Now it can do it at the price of trading focus miss for mystical fire. This thing kinda kills offense by itself and it still hits walls like a truck. it can even trick to prevent things like cosmic power sweeps. Psyshock could be used to hit snorlax but aside from that i dont see too much use for it

Really enjoying playing around with different stuff, however i stumbled into this just now.
Is there some bug in the code that detects 2 mons inheriting from the same line?
Cause my opponent in this match had both a Kingdra!Keldeo and Kingdra!Kyurem, which looking over the ruleset and a quick test in the teambuilder shouldn't be possible, correct?

Or is this just a display error that can happen if multiple lines overlap, as i think depending on the 4th move, that Keldeo couldve been a Mantine!Keldeo for example, rather than Kingdra?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1179843329

...yes i know i played a bit badly at times, but that isnt the point.

https://pokepast.es/bfa918c0919fe37f
Been having fun with rain, originally I had two rain setters and realized I really only needed one due to how fast the games went by. Corviknight's a really good setter and I pretty much just lead that, u-turn into keldeo/primarina and click the blue move when I can. Haven't seen a lot of counterplay to this like other weather or water absorb, but I did struggle against unaware toxapex and bulk in general.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
yes, this should definitively be banned. having to run a low speed mon to counter it is not good, and all you can do withiut a low speed mon is wait for the copycat pp to end, and 32 is not a small number of turns
You can use any type of priority, including negative priority moves, to stop this strategy.
You can wall it by using Flying types such as Corviknight or Mandibuzz (both immune to Prankster Toxic) or Levitate mons that are Steel or Poison, or Magic Bounce / Magic Guard Flying types. You can bring a Regen core and stall it out. You can do a ton of things.

Priority is the easiest and quickest way to fit on a team though.

Won 10 straight games with this team and got into top 50. Veil HO.
https://pokepast.es/de9ab436257888e7

Scyther!Corviknight and Falinks!Lucario are looking to me like some of the best potential sweepers in the tier. Both boast good defensive typings and the ability to wreak havoc on the opposing team. Under screens/veil, their job of setting up becomes much easier. Lycanroc!Terrakion and Indeedee!Alakazam are fantastic at cleaning after Corv/Lucario have done their thing, though I feel like better cleaners may exist. Claydol!Magneton functions and a pivot and hazard control. Vanilluxe!Ninjask sets Veil and dies.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1179487920

Any plans to ban that riolu set? It's gimmicky but very centralizing. If it's not a problem then nevermind.
I tried this out using a burner account at low ladder and I'm pretty confident this won't be over centralizing. Players at 1000-1100 were able to beat this strategy exremely easily and consistently. I put it in the same camp as FEAR Rattata. Unbeatable, with the exception of a bunch of stuff people are running anyways. I do think Prankster + Copycat has some potential in this meta, but I don't think this is it.

Kinda surprised how well a balance team is working for me. Ice scales goodra is a special def tank sometimes taking less than 10% dmg from super effective hits. Unaware pex stops sweeps. Love my two wall breakers tho, Drought volcarona with nasty plot overheat is nasty. Lastly my favorite one Adaptability urshifu rapid strike (I honestly believe that this combination is stupid strong and should be tested). Not much revenge killers in the meta so no need for me to run jolly and with a single dragon dance adamant urshifu outpeeds the meta. Aside from an unaware Pokemon I don't see any other checks to that bear and all you just gotta do is force in and beat down the unaware poke and urshifu goes stupid.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Haven't played this yet, but whenever there's an OM that changes abilities up, the first mon that comes to mind is Ferrothorn. It's fire weakness is it's biggest problem (and it has, like, 2 problems, really. reliable recovery being the other one). So, like the big brain person I am, I gave it Flash Fire:

---> (
)
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Power Whip
- Fire Lash
- Knock Off

Coil boosts your Attack, Defense AND, here's the big one, ACCURACY. After a single Coil, Power Whip has perfect accuracy. A STAB 120 BP move with no drawbacks and perfect accuracy? Sign me up. But there's more! Fire Lash helps you break down walls thanks to it's 100% chance of lowering the foe's Defense by 1, and Knock Off helps you cripple everything, even unboosted. Ferro does lose it's Steel STAB, which is unfortunate tho. Now Ferro's great defensive typing, stats and resistance to hazards make it quite the reliable mon, especially now that it lost it's glaring Fire weakness.

EDIT: Just noticed someone already had presented this set before, sorry for the lack of attention :facepalm:

Last edited:
I was bored. I theorymonned 3 sets for this metagame. I have NO IDEA whether or not these sets are viable, but with this being the OMotM, might as well.

slowbro.gif
skarmory.gif

Slowbro (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Body Press
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Skarmory, being as bulky as it is, getting Teleport and Regenerator seems quite scary. Slowbro shall provide that fear. Of course, having Teleport and Regenerator, you can take a hit and switch out with your negative priority pivot move (being Teleport). Body Press with its base 140 defense, recover with Slack Off, deal chip with Toxic, yada yada. Feels like a stall Skarmory set, just without hazards and with Teleport and Regenerator.

rufflet.gif
terrakion.gif

Rufflet (Terrakion) @ Life Orb / whatever
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Rock Slide / Close Combat
- U-turn / Close Combat
- Defog / Close Combat

Boosting yourself with Hone Claws to negate the Hustle accuracy drop along with boosting your attack even further makes Terrakion, although it was already a threat, seem even more scary than it already was. With base 108 speed and base 129 attack, it's quite fast while hitting like a freight train. If you want a slightly faster speed tier, Lycanroc is always another option. However, Lycanroc is significantly more frail, so keep that in mind.
(EDIT: It also gets Defog, so if your team is weak against hazards, you have the option to get rid of them.)

druddigon.gif
dusknoir.gif

Druddigon (Dusknoir) @ Mental Herb / Rocky Helmet / Leftovers / whatever
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt / Shadow Claw
- Glare / Shadow Claw
- Roar / Shadow Claw

With its mediocre defenses and subpar defensive typing, Druddigon can't really make a mark in the metagame. Enter Dusknoir. It brings those defenses up a notch or two, and has a much better defensive typing, being able to block Rapid Spin. Along with this, it has a plethora of support moves. Taunt gives you the ability to revoke any rights of status moves the opponent might make, Glare allows you to have a 100% accurate paralysis move, and Roar allows you to phaze out anything that's set up on it, while dealing chip damage to the next Pokemon that comes out provided that Stealth Rocks are up. Of course, one of these can be replaced with Shadow Claw, being a STAB move combined with Dusknoir's decent attack. You can also use Dusclops if you wanna sacrifice offense and item capability for even more bulk.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Hey everybody! We the council are looking forward to a great month of Inheritance having a ladder, and hope to make some strides forward with tiering and developing the metagame. Here are some of the things we're considering for the time being.

Donors / Inheritors to be potentially banned:
:comfey::butterfree::dragapult:
Comfey and Butterfree as donors and Dragapult as an inheritor have all proven to be amazing threats in the current metagame.

:dragapult:Dragapult does the same thing it has done in so many other OMs. Be fast. Hit hard. Have good dual STAB and defensive typing. Here it has a huge amount of flexibility with the sets it can run. Is Dragapult's offensive prowess too much?

:butterfree: Butterfree sets were the most important (but not only) reason why Magearna was originally banned. Togekiss has now started to run these same bulky set-up Tinted Lens Quiver Dance sets. Are these sets too powerful for the metagame?

:comfey: Comfey, and the Triage Draining Kiss it provides has been at the forefront of the metagame for awhile. Pokemon such as Hatterene, Primarina, and again Togekiss use this to become simultaneously threatening sweepers and powerful revenge killers.

:pelipper: Weather has been seeing a large amount of use on the ladder, and I have seen several complaints about it in the OM room. Is it genuinely problematic? Does sufficient counterplay exist? The council is somewhat divided on this, so please weight in.

Previously banned things we might consider unbanning:

:blissey: Blissey was collateral damage from the banning of the clearly borked Chansey. Should Blissey be given a chance at reentering the metagame? Why or why not?

:cinderace: Libero was banned when we didn't have a ladder. It's an incredibly potent offensive ability on a Pokemon line with a movepool that is wide enough to abuse it fairly well. However there are several Pokemon that resist most or all of the common coverage moves used by Cinderace inheritors, most notably Toxapex. Should this ability be given a second chance?

WHAT WE WANT FROM YOU:
We want to hear whether you think it would be better to proceed focusing on potential bans or potential unbans.
Please also let us know WHICH of these bans / unbans you are most interested in seeing carried out.
If you think there are other problems that need to be dealt with in the metagame, please post about it, also providing supporting evidence in the form of replays against high quality opponents.

In other news...
drampa's grandpa is stepping down from the Inheritance council. He was never intended to be a permanent fixture and now that we have three other competent, active, and knowledgeable members of the council the time has come for him to leave.
We thank him for... oh wait that's me woops. Bye bye, I'll be around.

And for those of you who have read all the way to the bottom... here are some sets! (Click the Pokemon for the links)
:kyurem::dragapult::weavile::terrakion::gengar::excadrill::hydreigon:
I had one for Magearna as well but :( these are mostly pretty old but I hope you'll enjoy using them!

Last edited:
:comfey: Comfey, and the Triage Draining Kiss it provides has been at the forefront of the metagame for awhile. Pokemon such as Hatterene, Primarina, and again Togekiss use this to become simultaneously threatening sweepers and powerful revenge killers.
i'm very surprised at this being a problem... comfey inheritors seem hardly threatening in a meta where every other team has a regenvest steel or steel with reliable recovery. cm/drainkiss sets continue to be amazing cleaners and wincons, but the user really has to put in the work in order for it to sweep. (if people start running magnet pull+comfey donor cores, we might start to have a bigger problem on our hands, but so far not a lot of people have been catching on!)

:pelipper: Weather has been seeing a large amount of use on the ladder, and I have seen several complaints about it in the OM room. Is it genuinely problematic? Does sufficient counterplay exist? The council is somewhat divided on this, so please weight in.
more than a few ladder teams have been running some variant of pex+goodra as blanket anti-rain/sun techs, which pretty much invalidate the special side. on the physical side, rain terrors like wetshifu and gyarados are a lot harder to wall on paper, but they seem to be kept partly in check by incredibly strong (and popular) priority options: grassy glide from rillaboom donors, sucker punch/accelerock from lycanroc donors, espeed from hustle togekiss, and the aforementioned triage sets. every team has at least one of these, so i'd say the issue of the sweepers themselves isn't really an issue for the ladder so far.

on the other hand, pelipper's an incredibly versatile donor and I don't think we've seen the last of its forms yet - there might yet be an optimal rain build that's able to invalidate the above (e.g. pairing wetshifu with a solid balance core to chip and force out those priority users since they're usually able to be worn down throughout the course of a match).

no comment on dragapult as i'm still undecided, but if you're going to be looking at it, zeraora is worth considering as well - tauros and pincurchin sets are incredibly oppressive to play around, and have won entire games for me on preview.

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
In my opinion I think that Electric Surge, Psychic Surge and maybe Unburden are worth looking at. The former two give the user access to obcenely powerful moves that can only be switched into by inmunities and very specially bulky resists. They also have two very good inheritor in Zeraora and Alakazam. While I think that Esurge is held back by Pinchurin's lackluster movepool, Indeedee has just the moves it needs to force the meta to rely on bulky steels or dark types. Not even HO is free from Psurge Zam's reign of terror; I have shown that scarf zam is very good and very scary to face. And the cherry on top is that enables Unburden sweepers, that can be so obcenely fast that not even Choice scarf Dragapult can out speed it, too strong to switch into, and might be even surprisingly bulky thanks to the seeds, on top of the benefits of terrain (Leftovers recovery, inmunity to priority).

But you don't need terrain to abuse Unburden. Slurpuff, while lackluster movepool wise, it more than makes up for it with the sheer power of belly drum, with defensive checks being reduced to Toxapex, one time switch ins and phazing, while offensive counterplay is just priority (that can be invalidated with some proper team support) and certian scarfers depending on the inheritor. On top of that, unlike the other two abilities, where Esurge inheritors are electric types whose viable sets share similar counterplay and Psurge's only really viable abuser is Alakazam, Unburden isnt lacking of abusers, many of which can have many different sets with diferent counterplay, all the while being able of sweeping entire teams with a single opening. Toxapex can take a adaptability CC by wetshifu, but it gets 2hko'd by facade at +6 with options limited to trying to recover stall, use strength sap, try to cripple it with status, and cry.

Honorable mencion to Grassy surge, that is definitely not a completely balanced ability, but its held back by how bad grass is as an offensive typing, although having an eye on it might not be unwarranted

Also keep Libero banned. It is basically the best offensive ability in the game and Cinderace's movepool just has enough to go through any check that might try to get on his way, not to mention literally every physical attacker in existanse is a viable abuser.

Last edited:
Keep Libero banned. So many Pokemon can abuse having Libero super well, and really benefit from having STAB on every move. The combination of Fire, Fighting, and Poison is only resisted by certain Poison and Ghost types, and for the former type (specifically for Toxapex), you can use Zen Headbutt. One Pokemon that comes to mind for abusing Libero is Terrakion (or Cobalion, either or), as it can run 4 coverage moves and, let's say, an assault vest for added bulk.

I have a few sets to share that i've used or been beaten down by for anyone interested. These are the some of best pokemon I've seen around so far. I've tried to avoid repeating sets that are already mentioned (Surge Alakazam/Quiver Kyruem/etc). They're in their pastes, feel free to try them out.

Roserade @ Choice Specs
Ability: Triage
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss
- U-turn
- Pollen Puff
This thing hits like a truck and doesn't suffer the weakness of ESpeed (Popular ghost immunities). You basically always spam giga drain, and if your opponent has a counter, just press uturn and weaken it for a late game sweep. Hatterene is the alternative.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Fake Out
- Thief
- Close Combat
If you want to punch a hole in your enemy's team, this is never a bad option. You can play around with moves like mach punch, rapid spin, bulldoze, sucker punch for different scenarios.

Braviary (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Drain Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Double-Edge
This is most powerful Espeed user in my opinion. Of course, you risk misses, but if you hit? Well there's a good chance you're 1HKOing all of your opponent's offence. An example calc: 252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Braviary Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 339-400 (104.9 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO. It has a reasonable chance (43%) to OHKO mons with 100hp + 100def stats (If they aren't invested). I suppose Bewear works too, but the speed works heavily in Braviary's favour.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
This just turns drill into a better version of itself. Once it gains momentum, it becomes extremely difficult to stop unless you have priority. Waterfall is kinda just there. Stone edge is another option, and scale shot could be useful for lower risk speed/attack boosts on weakened opponents.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Night Daze
Illusion is a really fun ability and Zoroark has pretty nice movepool, with access to swords dance, nasty plot and u-turn. This set with chandelure helps you fool Espeed users and take out your opponents key pokemon by picking the right disguise. You will appear as whatever pokemon you chose last, but the name will always say Zoroark. Fortunately, this doesn't really help your opponent know which 1 of 6 pokemon they are versing. A smart opponent will know something's wrong, they will just have a hard time predicting what they're versing (unless they play you in another match or you're down to only a few mons). Use immunities and bluffs to play mind games with your opponents.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Flip Turn
- Scald
The most reliable scarf user in this OM. Cleans up nicely, has two hard hitting stabs and momentum. Not much to say other than that it's a good mon. Shadow ball and sludge wave seem to deal with most of the meta. Focus blast is better than scald, as it deals with dark/steels. i just dislike missing.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- U-turn
Hear me out. Celebi is the best quiver dancer in every OM that allows move changes. Stab, boosted giga drains make for reliable recovery. Base 100 defenses give you the bulk for anything you need. All the quiver dancers gift you a stab psychic. In this set you can swap uturn for bug buzz, or go the volcarona route and grab flame body/flamethrower instead. Play around with evs for different sets, bulky quiver dance still works amazingly with tinted lens.

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
Easily my favourite pokemon I've found/created in this OM. It has a habit of just living everything and dealing far more damage than it should unboosted. Clefable offers both your stabs, as well as drain punch. Belly drum forces stall opponents to sack. Just super reliable and a bit of fun. Counters many meta mons like Psychic surge Alakazam, Quiver dance users and nearly all stall.

Bewear @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Nuzzle
Priority without the risk. Hardest hitting normal type available, with a habit of living and paralysing your opponent. As powerful as braviary is, sometimes it's better to have options. I tried Snorlax, Braviary and linoone/belly drum versions, but this was a clear winner to me in terms of Espeed users. Too many ghost types are around and you want to have options or immediate damage. This covers both and fake out helps make up for lower damage/remove sashes/beat other weakened espeed users.

Jolteon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Scald
- Spikes
- Hex
A really great lead with a tendency to one-shot offence and burn threats. Spike stack when you can. All it's missing is volt switch... You can also use hydro pump to pick up on useful KOs like Excadrill. It unfortunately gets beaten by two of the best pokemon (Dragapult and Zoroara), but the ability to spike set and revenge kill, or scald burn and get a surprise hex kill, makes up for that most of the time. The extra SPa helps net Kos that Zoroara doesn't.

Terrakion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Liquidation
Contrary is always powerful, but on Terrakion it's devastating. AV lets you take a lot of surprising hits and remove your opponent's answers. Having rock stab is incredibly useful and knock off is your reliable ghost answer. I'm unsure about liquidation, but what else could Terrakion want? I believe this is the best overall contrary user/set.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Darkest Lariat
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Prankster rest/talk is a powerful set. Your sleeptalk turns will have priority and with Umbreon's bulk, there's not much that can hurt you. It's a little annoying that Urshifu is around with adaptability close combats, and there's an unware toxapex loose. But beyond those match ups, this thing is can sometimes just set up turn 1 and proceed to clean house.

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: White Smoke
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Leech Life
- Substitute
- Fire Lash
A bit of a mixed bag. I've been trying to get the EVs right, but nothing sticks. It has swept a few teams so far though, just a shame about the 4x rock weakness and common bug resists. White smoke means you can't have your stats lowered, and you can always just bluff the flash fire. Fire lash helps counter things like unaware toxapex. A stab/boosted leech life turns into reliable recovery very quickly and eviolite offers some of the best bulk. The alternative would be a coil, power whip, knock off, Zarude.

I'm just going to keep adding to this list rather than making new posts, so I'll try to add interesting additions as time goes on.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Encyclopedia of Donors
I decided to put together a little WIP resource which acts as a place to check out potential donors and what they bring to the table.
Template
Moves such as Toxic, Protect, and Facade that are distributed to nearly every Pokemon were left out unless they are a significant part of why said Pokemon is viable (for instance a Guts Pokemon).
What might I have forgotten? Moves mostly. Especially coverage; mostly I was sorting by power, so lower bp moves might have been forgotten. That's a shame because there are some really excellent low bp moves. Let me know and I'll fix it (it's not that hard, copy, paste, insert missing thing).

I may add a 'common inheritors' section and a drawbacks section (see Arcanine)

Done
:arcanine::butterfree::clefable::lycanroc-dusk::mawile::rillaboom::sigilyph::xatu:
TBD
:alakazam::amoonguss::barraskewda::barbaracle::basculin::beartic::bellossom::cinccino::clawitzer::comfey::crawdaunt::dhelmise::dragalge::drednaw::druddigon::emolga::excadrill::exploud::falinks::flareon::gastrodon::grimmsnarl::hawlucha::haxorus::heracross::hippowdon::hitmontop::hydreigon::indeedee::kingdra::kommo-o::larvitar::linoone::lucario::ludicolo::lurantis::magnezone::malamar::mantine::mew::mienshao::ninetales::ninetales-alola::noctowl::pangoro::pelipper::perrserker::pincurchin::poliwrath::porygon-z::quagsire::qwilfish::raichu::raichu-alola::reuniclus::riolu::sableye::salazzle::scizor::scolipede::silvally::sirfetchd::slowbro::slowking::slurpuff::steelix::sudowoodo::swoobat::tauros::thievul::togekiss::toxapex::toxicroak::tsareena::tyranitar::venusaur::volcarona::weezing-galar:
WIP
:MIENSHAO:
...and more to come! Let me know on Discord or PS! what I inevitably forgot.
This is unofficial and it's just me doing it so don't set your hopes too high :bloblul:

Last edited:
Recently started playing this OM on Showdown, and it's been a lot of fun. As a disclaimer, this is from the mindset of someone who has only played a handful of ladder games, but I think I've found something that warrants a post.

:Corviknight:
Woobat (Corviknight) @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Dual Wingbeat

By inheriting Unaware from Swoobat/Woobat, Corviknight has been able to prove itself an incredibly effective glue pick in my experience. Leftovers are preferred in my experience, but Rocky Helmet allows for Corviknight to get the jump on Triple Axel Weavile a little better. Corviknight's damage output is abysmal, and tends to struggle against bulkier teams, but its shortcomings in that department can be lessened by Toxic and U-turn, either putting opponents on a timer or allowing Corviknight to get out of dodge, allowing a more offensively impressive pokemon a chance to get the job done. Corviknight naturally excels versus setup sweepers, be it quiver dancers or contrary superpower abusers. With Toxic and appropriate pressure, Corviknight is able to take on +6 CM Stored Power Comfey!Hatterene. It is once again worth noting that I am very much so a passive observer in this metagame, but I figured that it would be useful to have more sets out there.

Started playing Inheritance yesterday. Here is an HO team that got me to 1400 pretty quickly.

Mawile (Zeraora) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Play Rough / Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Pretty standard, not much to see here. I like Play Rough for Dragons and Zarude. Ice Punch is weaker but it can't miss and it hits most Grass and Ground-types super effectively. Crunch hits bulky Ghost and Psychic-types super effectively and in general gives perfect neutral coverage alongside the other 2 moves. I don't like Fire Fang cause Ferrothorns usually have Fire immunity anyway.

Golurk (Dragapult) @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Dynamic Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Stealth Rock

This is usually the Stealth Rock lead. Dragapult is nice because of its speed and the confusion hax annoys Defoggers (and all Pokemon in general). Pretty low risk high reward lead.

Rillaboom (Zarude) @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Another standard set. U-Turn is an option over Superpower for momentum since Zarude forces switches pretty often. But Superpower gets some important KOs.

Hawlucha (Lucario) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Throat Chop
- Swords Dance

Why Lucario over Terrakion? Mostly because it is not weak to Grassy Glide, Draining Kiss and Aqua Jet. And in general it can set up SD much more often than Terrakion because of its defensive typing. The moveset is self explanatory. SD, dual STAB and Throat Chop is for Ghost-types.

Tauros (Kyurem) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Close Combat

This thing is the truth. Probably the most powerful wallbreaker out there. It went ham against every fat team I faced. If you don't resist Ice, goodbye. Thunderbolt for Water-types, Flamethrower and CC for Steel-types. Rock Slide is an option for Fire-types (mostly Volcarona and Rotom-Heat) over Flamethrower or CC.

Xatu (Togekiss) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind / Thunder Wave / Haze
- Roost
- Teleport

The glue of the team. Usually you just switch into hazard stackers, status inducers and pokemon it walls and just Teleport out into one of the beasts above. Calm Mind can often clean up once its counters have fallen. Thunder Wave is an option to leave a present to some potential setup sweepers (though it can backfire if they have Substitute). Haze can make sure certain sweepers (like Butterfree inheritors) don't get out of hand.

Last edited:
With regards to Comfey as a Donor, my experience with it has been very hit or miss. It will blow past unprepared teams, but is absolutely dead weight vs Dark types with Queenly Majesty/Specially bulky Unaware mons/Steel types. If your opponent only has one of the ability-based counters then maybe you can play around it with Worry Seed, but even that is very shaky.

Okay so I'm not great at the formatting but some fun pokemon I've had success with. First 6 are my original hyper offense team and then some more i've experimented with.

Barraskewda (Skrelp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Flip Turn
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Barraskewda with Adaptability is a wicked threat. Switches to tank Waterfall are easy opportunity to throw Toxic Spikes or have him pivot with Flip Turn.

Steelix (Dubwool) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
- Protect
- Copycat/Thunder Wave

The Physical Wall that packs one of the strongest punches in the meta. If you're able to set up cotton guard you can laugh off just about anything, but the true power comes with the deadly Body Press that hits whomever has the misfortune of switching in. Ghost are problem, namely Aegislash who isn't getting poison damage while we wall, but it's also fairly easy to predict the switch in. Dubwool as usual suffers from a shallow movepool: I personally like Copycat for the situational use in a wacky meta; Aurora Veil, Sticky Web, and Poltergeist have all been clutch copies.

Gengar (Toxapex) @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Merciless
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Hex
- Baneful Bunker
- Ice Beam/Hydro Pump

My favorite set makes use Toxapex's signature ability and high power moves. Merciless makes all attacks on poisoned pokemon crits, so with Toxic Spikes support she's a real monster. Baneful Bunker helps activate in a pinch, but even with toxic stalling a turn is big damage; it's an underrated sash-breaker/revenge killer sometimes. Hex and the concept made me choose Gengar, but there's a similarly solid physical movepool too.

Porygon-Z (Exploud) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Surf

The most unoriginal of the bunch. If you run this set assume a steel or rock type is coming out to resist Boomburst, but also consider that it may be better to click Boomburst anyway.

Zarude (Lurantis) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 200 Atk / 68 SpD / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Leech Life

This funky monkey lives hard and hits harder. For a pokemon with high speed and attack he's got some decent bulk; the Contrary boost and move pool really make him next level.

Snorlax (Natu) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- U-turn/Teleport
- Quick Attack

The Cleric serves to pivot your pokemon in safely and keep the field free of hazards. Snorlax's naturally low speed gives U-turn a slight edge over Teleport. Quick attack is for focus sash and finishing off poisoned foes.

Roserade (Tsareena) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Butterfree seems to be the go to for Compound Eyes, but if you're looking to run Queen's Majesty Roserade uses it well.

Snorlax (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard/Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled/Steel Roller
- Seismic Toss
- Healing Wish/Heal Bell

Sometimes it's nice just to have someone who can spread status onto all the special sweeps. Steel Roller is worth considering in a meta with the Surge abilities being so popular. With this Snorlax and other pokemon I've turned around games by stalling out the terrain/weather.

Lucario/Coballion @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Drain Punch
- Body Slam/Thunder Wave
- Knock Off/Play Rough

Pretty straight forward Magic Guard+Life Orb set. Lucario could run special and use calm mind, but Clefable and Alakazam don't give it STAB special moves.

Currently I'm figuring out what to do with Speed Boost. Sharpedo gives a nice selection of attacks, but nothing for setting up; Ninjask is the opposite. Tyranitar and Glaceon seem fun.

Roserade (Tsareena) @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Butterfree seems to be the go to for Compound Eyes, but if you're looking to run Queen's Majesty Roserade uses it well.
But Tsareena doesn't learn Quiver Dance or Sleep Powder?

EDIT: Speaking of Queenly Majesty

Weavile @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Se
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- High Jump Kick
- U-Turn

Also seems like a good user, as it gets dual STAB. (Thank Triple Axel distribution)

Last edited:
Is Moonblast banned of Inheritance ? Because the following set of Zeraora inheriting from Jirachi is seemingly illegal:

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder
- Aura Sphere
- Moonblast

Plus, Jirachi can learn Moonblast, according to Pokémon Showdown, but with the same moveset than Zeraora's, it's still considered to be illegal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)