Innovators

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is with the random facts that keep coming up from my history class o.O Had a test involving Brunelleschi today.

Anyway CERN as a whole should probably be recognized as innovators for any of

1973: The discovery of neutral currents in the Gargamelle bubble chamber.
1983: The discovery of W and Z bosons in the UA1 and UA2 experiments.
1989: The determination of the number of light neutrino families at the Large Electron–Positron Collider (LEP) operating on the Z boson peak.
1995: The first creation of antihydrogen atoms in the PS210 experiment.
1999: The discovery of direct CP violation in the NA48 experiment.
2010: The isolation of 38 atoms of antihydrogen
2011: Maintaining antihydrogen for over 15 minutes

Not to mention Berners-Lee working under the CERN envelope in creating the Internet or discovering the faster than light neutrino anomaly.

credit to wikipedia for raw information

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can we stop arguing semantics and get back to relevant posts?

As far as innovations go, the creation of language is pretty incredibly important, focusing humans into a more communicative and intelligent breed of species.

the difference between the internet and the world wide web is far more than semantic.

it's sort of like the difference between the wheel and a car. one has always been there, and the other is just a fancy new way to use it.

well "innovator" is a pretty nebulous term, you can't say it doesn't include inventors

in which case I'm ashamed and disappointed to be the first person to mention Nikola Tesla, the man history forgot (thanks in large part to Thomas "Douchenozzle" Edison)

You could say the internet was invented, but Tim Berners-Lee innovated the internet by making the WWW. And then the WWW was innovated further by various people opening it up to uses other than exchanging scientific ideas.

If anything, this puts T.B.L. in a better light as both inventor and innovator.

Satoshi Tajiri and Junichi Masuda.

They changed all of our lives, no doubt.
While we're talking about JRPG innovation... Whoever designed the leveling mechanics of the first two SaGa (Final Fantasy Legend) games (EDIT: "Akitoshi Kawazu") is a genius. He not only made the original mechanics from FF2 actually good, but introduced OTHER character growth methods alongside that. There was a Bulbapedia article comparing the monster evolution mechanics in that game to Pokémon's.

I gotta throw my support behind Tesla and the Wright Brothers, but I also want to mention...

James Watt didn't invent the engine, but he put a lot of R&D into it. I assume that's what we're talking about with the 'innovators vs inventors' thing. His new steam engine was so much better than the Newcomen engines that were in prior use that the Industrial Revolution probably couldn't have happened without him.

John Ericsson invented a whole bunch of things, but he's probably most well known for designing the USS Monitor during the US Civil War. Very exciting - not only was it one of the first ironclad ships (preceded of course by the CSS Virginia), but I believe it was the first ship to have a rotating turret one it. The guns on this turret were forged by a special technique of Ericsson's inventing that increased their strength.

Ericsson didn't exactly invent the propeller as a method of propulsion, but his improvements to propeller design made them feasible for naval use. Oh, and he also invented a self-propelled torpedo back when "torpedos" were stationary explosive devices (i.e. what we today call mines).

John Ericsson was a real motherfucker.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
well "innovator" is a pretty nebulous term, you can't say it doesn't include inventors

in which case I'm ashamed and disappointed to be the first person to mention Nikola Tesla, the man history forgot (thanks in large part to Thomas "Douchenozzle" Edison)
pretty sick legacy imo

Stratos

Banned deucer.
John Ericsson invented a whole bunch of things, but he's probably most well known for designing the USS Monitor during the US Civil War. Very exciting - not only was it one of the first ironclad ships (preceded of course by the CSS Virginia), but I believe it was the first ship to have a rotating turret one it. The guns on this turret were forged by a special technique of Ericsson's inventing that increased their strength.

Ericsson didn't exactly invent the propeller as a method of propulsion, but his improvements to propeller design made them feasible for naval use. Oh, and he also invented a self-propelled torpedo back when "torpedoes" were stationary explosive devices (i.e. what we today call mines).

John Ericsson was a real motherfucker.
actually, CSS virginia was originally the USS merrimack, captured and repurposed, so Ericsson wasn't beaten to the punch by anyone. What a mofo

Well, except the Monitor was commissioned as a result of the Confederacy's rebuilding the Merrimack into an ironclad. I suppose the Monitor was the first ship to have its keel laid down with intent to become an ironclad, but the Virginia was ordered months earlier, completed about a week earlier, and reached the battle of Hampton Roads a single day earlier, in time to totally fuck the Union's navy.

But regardless, the Monitor had so much cooler stuff on it, thanks to Ericsson, that I agree that it was a way better ship. Besides being ironclad, the only cool thing on the Virginia was a big ram which broke off the first time they used it (they still sunk the attacked ship though).

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
So today it was cold as fuck in my house and hot water saved me from freezing to death as a bathed, so yeah hot water, who ever invented the water heater is a saint...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)