iOS Titles worth sharing

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The more I face the harsh reality the more I get scared in that games I spend 70p-£5.99 on are more fun than the £20 Mario Kart 7.

But something about the App Store (well, not in my case) keeps drawing me back and making tiny purchases. They're about 10% the price, and like, 1-5% the memory-size of your big console games, and yet, simply for the fact that I can sit on the train and bust these out makes their replay value much higher than CoD or whatever.

So, I thought I would throw out the little bits and things that I use on a near-constant basis, for other iDevice owners so that they too can be immersed. I'll also try to update this thread every three weeks with anything new that I find. It'll be mainly games (sorry if your taste isn't like mine), but I'll add a few utilities now and again.

Oh, and of course, by all means feel free to share your own!

Firstly, my all-time favourites:
Infinity Blade II
AUSAR!!! AAAUUUSAAAARRR!!!
No seriously, the graphics on this game fucking blew. my. mind. I get that we're at the peak of technology nowadays, but I remember when graphics these good on a PS2 were revolutionary. And now I'm carrying that in my pocket. As well as this, the gameplay might be repetitive, but it's a far cry better than the first one. It's not just all dodge, block, parry, swipe swipe swipe anymore, the new weapons you can get, combined with slightly new stab mechanics means if you get bored of the "block block swipe" of a two-handed heavy weapon, you can go "dodge dodge, swipeswipeswipeswipe" with dual-wielded blades. And it's not just the same castle over and over again. Each rebirth you go through, there are subtle little changes. Like that chest in the corner you never noticed. Or that doorway that's now opened up. Or that staircase you can't go up anymore. Even though you know it's the same old game, the game tries to break templates. You don't get bored often, because if those goddamn Pierced Wretches aren't breaking all your blocks, then it'll be "why can't i fucking dodge this MX-Enforcer". And yet you keep playing, because you want to know what happens. You want to kill one more enemy to get a little more gold so you can buy one more item. It seems repetitive and boring, but while you're in there, it's so gripping you don't realize you're repeating actions.
10/10

Aqueduct
At a glance, your typical puzzle game. A little deeper and it's a slightly more complex sliding-tile puzzle. When you get into the heart of it, it becomes the simplest of concepts exploded into the greatest wonders. I don't know what it is that makes me come back for more. Sometimes I break through after hours of work, sometimes the game kicks me in the ass and says "gbck2skl, nub". The progress I make is slow and steady, but I'm grateful for the fact that this isn't a game that tries to add bells and whistles to everything. I can think of about 6 different things that affect the gameplay. It doesn't revolutionize the genre. It's just moving blocks to create and unbroken path. And yet, it's harder than that. It's logical architecture on a small scale. It makes you stop and think about how your solution is obviously correct, but you're missing a block? It's a "fuck this is impossible". It's a "how the hell do I do thi-OH". It's a "why didn't i see that before". The response it provokes is exactly the sort of response every puzzle game should provoke. The best thing is, the difficulty curve (provided you stay away from The Rat's level pack) is just right. Nothing too extreme, nothing too easy. It settles you into new features, and the solutions slowly get more complex, but everything is manageable with a level head and some outside-the-box thinking.
9/10. There just aren't enough levels. It comes with 8 level packs, each of around 21-29 puzzles. I've completed about 6 (albeit, after many many many many hours).

Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery
This game is everything I look for in a small package. The art-style is captivating. It's no Infinity Blade, but the greatest thing is that it doesn't need to be. The soundtrack is exquisite. It's no Final Fantasy, but it doesn't need to be. The gameplay is simple yet brilliant. We seem to be so obsessed with "new, more, faster, better, etc." and all that, yet we forget that sometimes the best gems just come from simplicity done right. This is like why I love Aqueduct - it isn't ridiculously everything like Prototype or Portal, and yet it feels new, and enjoyable. An outside eye would think this is terrible quality in every aspect, and that's simply because it's a game that's happy to break away from accepted standards, just to deliver something that could be amazing. In nearly every aspect, if you put it one-on-one against major names such as Zelda, Skyrim, Portal 2, and what have you, there's no way this can compete. But it still earns a place in your heart, because it may not be the best, but it's got something you just can't put your finger on. The storyline isn't amazing, but it's heart-warming and keeps you interested. The gameplay isn't groundbreaking, but it's not unwieldy. It's the kind of game that seems subpar from its elements, but as a product, is something truly great.
9/10 Again, length and replayability. Tad short, but trust me, by the time you finish I bet you'll be satisfied.

Enviro-Bear 2010: Operation Hibernation
i am a bear and i dirve a car and this is what my life is like
50/10

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Back when I had an iPhone, I bought maybe a half dozen or so games but really spent my gaming time on it with the following two:

Peggle
This addictive Pachinko game is incredibly simple yet fun and should definitely appeal to the average Smogonite with the tons of over-the-top positive reinforcement it gives you for every single thing you do. The only game on iOS I played every level of it. Perfect for when you're on the bus or the crapper.

Game Dev Story

Run your own game company by hiring employees and putting resources into different parts of development and marketing. Take yourself from an indie game to a blockbuster. A game that you can play for anything from minutes at a time to hours.

Could I have a good suggestion for a low space using game. I already have doodle jump, angry birds, etc

However I do recommend Battlefield 2: Bad Company, the campagin mode is great and has a more than decent selection of weapons. Only problem is that the Multiplayer mod is down.

Hook Champ and Super Quick Hook are two of the best platformer-type games on the app store. The graphical style, music and gameplay are well-done, and it becomes ridiculously hard in the bonus levels. Also Soosiz is essentially a 2D Mario Galaxy with charming visuals and great level design. League of Evil is another incredibly fun platformer, with short, fast-paced levels.

Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 3 are good quality ports if you've never played them before.

Street fighter 4 is really fun if you have friends to do multiplayer with, otherwise it's probably a waste of money.

there are so many good games on the app-store, even free ones. I've got ~120 apps downloaded and played throughout various times on my iPod Touch, and there is so much there you really have to explore it yourself

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Could I have a good suggestion for a low space using game. I already have doodle jump, angry birds, etc
things like angry birds and doodle jump are generally referred to as "lite-games", as you said, due to their small space usage and simple, monotone replayability.

Tiny Wings is literally the best i can think of. it's basically doodle jump but with slightly different gameplay. It's just ridiculously simple. I have waited for countless buses while playing this game.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gravity Hook HD might be one of the best arcade style game. It's simple enough with you using a hook to climb out of a giant never ending hole. Soon though the orbs you latch onto will become spiked if you hit them so you need to start flinging yourself up.

Oh and you can play it free here: http://gravityhookhd.com/

DragonVale for some reason is ridiculously entertaining for me. You have to be hooked up to wifi or 3/4G but it's along the same principales as Farmville and games like that only it involves dragons. How awesome right?

things like angry birds and doodle jump are generally referred to as "lite-games", as you said, due to their small space usage and simple, monotone replayability.

Tiny Wings is literally the best i can think of. it's basically doodle jump but with slightly different gameplay. It's just ridiculously simple. I have waited for countless buses while playing this game.
i like whale trail better

Back when I had an iPhone, I bought maybe a half dozen or so games but really spent my gaming time on it with the following two:

Peggle
This addictive Pachinko game is incredibly simple yet fun and should definitely appeal to the average Smogonite with the tons of over-the-top positive reinforcement it gives you for every single thing you do. The only game on iOS I played every level of it. Perfect for when you're on the bus or the crapper.

Game Dev Story

Run your own game company by hiring employees and putting resources into different parts of development and marketing. Take yourself from an indie game to a blockbuster. A game that you can play for anything from minutes at a time to hours.
This! Kairosoft made some of the most addicting games ever! Everyone should at least check out Game Dev Story since it's pretty much the best one Kairosoft made so far.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing heavily with Zy's recommendation of Aqueduct. It is probably the best iOS game I have played. Some of the levels are ridiculously hard (I'm still stuck in the third set of levels -.-). The music changes with every set of levels, and is pretty calming overall. 10/10 easily.

Infinity Blade II is pretty good too, but gets a bit repetitive. Way better on iPad imo, I felt it was way better on there.

Plants vs Zombies is still great, and the iPod Touch version is almost in line with the iPad offering (still missing out on endless and survival >.>). Angry Birds, well I like it, and always a steal at 99 cents, though if you're stingy you can probably play the original free on like Chrome or Android systems.

Chu Chu Rocket is a fun puzzle game from Sega and the Dreamcast (or was it Saturn?) era, definitely makes you think on some of them. NBA Jam is fun, reminds me of all the fun I had on the SNES version. Most of the Madden ones are adequate ports if you need your football thrills. And the FF titles are good, both being ports of the more recent PSP ones, so they have both the bonus dungeons from their GBA remakes as well as the new 20th anniversary dungeon I believe, almost tempting to get FF 1 again just to see the newest boss.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will never understand the world's fascination with Angry Birds. It is one of the most monotonous, flat, gaming experiences I've ever had. Fruit Ninja on the other hand is wonderful.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I will never understand the world's fascination with Angry Birds. It is one of the most monotonous, flat, gaming experiences I've ever had. Fruit Ninja on the other hand is wonderful.
lol this is so true

I'm a fan of Tap Defense (cause it's free). It's basically just a tower defense game, but it's free last time I checked and has good enough variation.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
icopter is the only game i must have, besides maybe cube runner and scrabble.

i want to jailbreak it for GBA emulation but i hate dealing with tethered/untethered bullshit ~_~

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Boost is a game where you are flying through tunnels and space and there's colors and stuff. Best played on acid. It is like 99 cents I think.

Plants Vs. Zombies is a classic iOS title and is extremely enjoyable on both the iPhone and the iPad, although personally I find the iPad version much more absorbing.

Dungeon Defenders for the iPad is quite good as well, although it takes some time to get used to the controls.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to jump on the Plants vs Zombies bandwagon too because it really is an excellent game.

Another game that mesmerized me is Osmos. I don't know how to explain this one. Basically, you play as a mote and your objective is to grow by absorbing smaller motes while avoiding larger one. I know it sounds boring the way I describe it but it's very addicting, and the graphics are quite beautiful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)