BW OU IR: The Art of Rain Stall

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
@Stunt: Thats what Quagsire checks, and I was thinking in replacing it with another mon that could help me with the main problems of the team, but after some testing, quag has proven to be the best option there.

@Badabing: It could work, I will try it.

@Gideon: Unfortunately it didt fit in the team. If they spin vs Ferro they will lose 25% though, so that definitely help me a lot

Thnx for the rates!

I was testing this team, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to beat Calm Mind Reuniclus. I know Politoed has Perish Song, but Reuniclus hits it hard, or even kills it,the turn it is used.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Dragonite beats it.
Just roost, phaze with dragon tail, etc

Perish Song os for last poke Reuniclus (dnite can stall a +6 Reuni with psychic though, and quag will if it has psyshock!)

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I gave this team a quick go on the ladder, and was immediately destroyed by Sub-Punch Toxicroak. Do you have any way to deal with it, because Quaggy completely failed for me without very good prediction?

Also, since you have lots of toxic support, why not use Protect over Softboiled on Chansey. It's free damage, and also you don't have to commit to passing or healing yourself, thereby reducing the level of prediction required. Whilst the pp of Softboiled is cool, and it's good when you're statused, I really think Protect is better in this context.

M Dragon

The north wind
World Defender
Quaggy (takes 56% max) + Dnite (most dont have IP) is usually enough
The problem of Chans is that it has no lefties, and if statused, losing 25% before I can heal my HP sucks (thats the reason of non protect)

I would like to say that this team is very hard to defeat and I've been looking at from several views before giving up and reading everyone's else ratings lol.

Yes Verizion is an obvious problem especially giving the fact your toed is not scarfed. On the other hand you lack a spinblocker so why not get the best of two worlds, while keeping your toxic playstyle and get a Jellicent instead of a Tentacruel?

Toxic
Recover
Scald
Shadowball/Icebeam/protect

Free fighting move switch in, cursed body to help out with stall, boosted scald, toxic, and filler third move.

I would like to say that this team is very hard to defeat and I've been looking at from several views before giving up and reading everyone's else ratings lol.

Yes Verizion is an obvious problem especially giving the fact your toed is not scarfed. On the other hand you lack a spinblocker so why not get the best of two worlds, while keeping your toxic playstyle and get a Jellicent instead of a Tentacruel?

Toxic
Recover
Scald
Shadowball/Icebeam/protect

Free fighting move switch in, cursed body to help out with stall, boosted scald, toxic, and filler third move.
I don't see how Jellicent would help stop Virizion at all. It's even more weak to it than Tentacruel is. Also, getting a spin blocker is never as important as having a rapid spinner for stall teams; he would also lose his Toxic Spikes absorber so this change would just make his team worse.

I don't believe Giga drain is the world's most fearsome attack when it comes to Jellicent and enough investment in SpD would be enough to recover it off or damaging Verizion first.

And you got that backwards, to Offensive teams getting rid of hazards is important, to stall teams keeping them intact is

M Dragon

The north wind
World Defender
With that change I would lose Spin, which is too important for a stall team though.
Chans can beat CM viri, the only problem is a SD viri that switches into Quag when dnite has less than 80%, and I can beat with some clever switchings to Ferrothorn though.

Jelli would be great on this team, but unfortunately it doesn't fit

Thnx for the rate!

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
M Dragon said:
Quaggy (takes 56% max) + Dnite (most dont have IP) is usually enough
Every SubPunch Toxicroak has Ice Punch; it's the only reason anyone uses it. Also, the Toxicroak I faced had LO, which is the primary option in the analysis iirc. Quaggy took upwards of 70% from Focus Punch. With a bit of residual damage, Focus Punch + IP is a 2HKO. Believe me when I say you're screwed.

M Dragon

The north wind
World Defender
If it's LO, Quag takes a 64% in average from Focus Punch, and a 22% from Ice Punch .
It's quite problematic though. Curse quaggy might help a lot here.

Also thnx fafus!

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
forgive me because I haven't played much competitive BW at all so i might ask a stupid question, but even with Thunder Dragonite, isn't Jellicent a bit of a problem for you? Blocks your spins, and it doesn't have to stay in and Ice Beam, it just has to get a Burn or (worse) a Toxic and I'd assume it really hurts its ability to stay alive (and fucks with Multiscale as well). And from what I can see, nothing else can get through it.

First off, I'd like to thank you for giving us this brilliant team. I just came back after a long hiatus from Pokemon Online, and this team's construction shows me of what I have been missing.

It's beautiful.

Now, enough groveling, onto the main topic of my post.
I have been messing around with this team, trying out other's suggestions ( primarily around replacing Quaggy with a buly Rotom-W ). But, doing so seems to create a huge weakness to Lucario and, at times, Toxicroak.

Has Quagsire always been your answer to this two Pokemon? Maybe i'm not using Rotom-W as a proper replacement.

Also, how do you deal with Conk? I've managed to slip through them, but it's very troubling.

M Dragon

The north wind
World Defender
@AR: Yes, Jelli can be a problem, but it will usually be poisoned, and it cannot take repeated Thunders, so it will eventually go down. Its only a problem if I cannot toxic/poison it

@Jaspp: Quag is my Toxic and Luke stopper (tenta can also stop luke if needes though), and dnite destroys any Conkeldurr (it can take any of his attacks well, and hurricane it)

Thnx for the rates!

i have a semi-question. have you ever had trouble with breloom? a set with poisonheal and spore/swords dance/seed bomb/drain punch can really put holes in the team. dragonite can kill, it, but if they've seen it in team preview, they can save their spore for it, and that can make things problematic :/

worse still, its not exactly like you can toxic it and then stall it to death.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I fought this team a few days ago, actually - if it wasn't for parahax, you probably would have won that. The only real flaw I see in this team is a major Breloom weakness, which you may want to fix. It would be interesting to have a rain battle against this with my secondary team, a rain balance team...

Would Skarmory > Quagsire work? It seems to check a lot of the same things that Quagsire does, but would help fix your problems with SD Virizion, Toxicroak, Landorus, and CB Dragons. You'll be able to use Leech Seed on Ferrothorn since Skarmory will have Spikes. CM Jirachi will still be a problem, but you could adjust Ferrothorn's spread to a more specially defensive one since you have Skarmory to tank Outrage.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers (or Shed Shell)
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Ferrothorn (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball / Bulldoze
- Power Whip / Bulldoze

Lastly I would definitely try to fit Heal Bell on Chansey since you depend on Dragonite's Multiscale to cover a lot of threats.

Awesome team overall. I especially love the Dragonite set.

Great Stall. I can´t say anything about this team that you don´t know or that anyone has said, you already know well the pokemon that give you problems.

I think this team would be more nice with a spinblocker like Jellicent but is difficult to make changes without worsening the team.

Would Skarmory > Quagsire work? It seems to check a lot of the same things that Quagsire does, but would help fix your problems with SD Virizion, Toxicroak, Landorus, and CB Dragons. You'll be able to use Leech Seed on Ferrothorn since Skarmory will have Spikes. CM Jirachi will still be a problem, but you could adjust Ferrothorn's spread to a more specially defensive one since you have Skarmory to tank Outrage.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers (or Shed Shell)
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Ferrothorn (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball / Bulldoze
- Power Whip / Bulldoze

Lastly I would definitely try to fit Heal Bell on Chansey since you depend on Dragonite's Multiscale to cover a lot of threats.

Awesome team overall. I especially love the Dragonite set.
skarm would make breloom less dangerous too n.n it covers croak and luke pretty well, as it can WW luke out and WW/BB croak.

M Dragon

The north wind
World Defender
Dnite is usually my Breloom stopper (bad thing is that something will be slept).
Yeah, Skarm is an option, and it could work, but not instead of Quag, since it would make me too SD terrakion weak (I have some variations with Skarm, and it works well)

Thnx for the rates!

I faced this team on PO... Very close. Guessing it wasnt you because there were o nicknames. But,
Tyraniboah defeated that bitch chansey

This is, by far, one of the most strongest teams ever made. The recent banning of Excadrill and Thundurus was a blessing. However, I fear that Virizion could be a massive pain in the ass for this team, as it can use either CM or SD and potentially sweep your whole team. a good option could be to use Reuniclus as a check to Virizion as You can 2HKO it with Psyshock or Psychic (unless the Virizion as any CM boosts). Hope I helped ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)