Is there anything (not related to Pokemon) that you are one of the best in the world at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
To add to the list of chess players here, I've got a USCF rating of 1955. That puts me in the top three thousand in the US, no idea in the world, since the world uses the FIDE system. I was state grade level champion many times growing up. Oh and in 3rd grade, in my second rated tournament ever, I nearly won nationals, losing only to the winner (whose name I still remember to this day.) I had 4 points of 4 through two days, and it was my birthday. Being the idiot little shit of an 8 year old that I was, I stayed up basically all night and then played the worst game I will ever play in round 5 vs the eventual winner. Recovered to win round 6, but it was too late. C'est la vie.

In other nerdy pursuits, I went to the state spelling and geography bees and I won the state science fair in the botany category. Recently, after putting up a monstrous score on the online test, I was invited for an in-person tryout for the Jeopardy college tournament, though I didn't quite make the cut :(

Also, I have never lost a game of Quarto (against a human that is... computers are freakish) though it's been a while since I've played.
That's interesting.
I wonder if you use chess.com?
My boyfriend is around 1800 on chess.com, not sure if that means far away from you though.

He works for the Hong Kong Chess club in real life, and currently teaches in several international schools.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
jynx said:

This formula provides the math behind ELO ratings. We can't fairly compare an official USCF rating and a chess.com rating, since chess.com is blitz games and my rating frequently comes from 2-hour games... but assuming we could, this would give the ~1950 player a .703 score on average over the ~1800 player (where a win is 1, a draw is 0.5, and a loss is 0.) Realistically, this means in most cases a lot of wins by the 1950 player and a lot of draws, but almost no upsets.

It's not miles away, but it's reasonably far off.

What matters more than anything though is the two players themselves, not the numbers. And I'm quite out of practice right now lol.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

This formula provides the math behind ELO ratings. We can't fairly compare an official USCF rating and a chess.com rating, since chess.com is blitz games and my rating frequently comes from 2-hour games... but assuming we could, this would give the ~1950 player a .703 score on average over the ~1800 player (where a win is 1, a draw is 0.5, and a loss is 0.) Realistically, this means in most cases a lot of wins by the 1950 player and a lot of draws, but almost no upsets.

It's not miles away, but it's reasonably far off.

What matters more than anything though is the two players themselves, not the numbers. And I'm quite out of practice right now lol.
Ah, he did tell me that USA is one of the top countries worldwide.

Wow, I'm pretty freakin' impressed with some of the people here. xD I was gonna try and brag about myself to try and jump start this newbie's status here, but gosh, I have nothing really in comparison!! Har, har. I'm kidding of course, 'bout the bragging for friends, that is. Not kidding about the super impressed part!!

I guess since I have such an addictive personality (by that I mean I get attached to things for a few months then get bored, not that people are addicted to me xD), I never have really stuck with something long enough to become super good. Had potential in high school as a basketball player and a gymnast, but a shoulder separation kind of ended those hopes and dreams, unfortunately.

Let's see, I've completed NaNoWriMo twice, of which I'm pretty darn proud! I know that doesn't make me the best in the world, but seeing as writing a 50,000 word novel in a month is a pretty large feat, I'd like to think it's impressive I've done it twice!!

But you better look out! Just getting into competitive pokemon, so who knows, maybe I'm gonna be a prodigy in that. ;D Though admittedly, that's doubtful. xD

I guess since I have such an addictive personality (by that I mean I get attached to things for a few months then get bored, not that people are addicted to me xD), I never have really stuck with something long enough to become super good... Just getting into competitive pokemon, so who knows, maybe I'm gonna be a prodigy in that. ;D Though admittedly, that's doubtful. xD
Let's hope this is the hobby you commit to ;)

Can't compete with the talent being claimed by various people here. I do have a talent for writing incredibly bad poetry, though.

I'm the best Magnus Carlsen fanboy in the world

(that will mean more when he officially becomes world champion this month)

Oh, I remember getting Top Toons for defeating the VP boss the most in a day back in 2007. I had beaten him 15 times in a day, which was impressive back then.

Maybe something else will pop up if I think hard enough!

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wow reading this thread makes me feel shitty cause i feel like if id stayed healthy through high school i maybe could have done some of these things ;-;

um i guess i can say i was one of the best white middle school mathematicians in the country when i was in 8th grade, finished around 140 in the national MATHCOUNTS which iirc was in the top 10 white guys....

wow reading this thread makes me feel shitty cause i feel like if id stayed healthy through high school i maybe could have done some of these things ;-;

um i guess i can say i was one of the best white middle school mathematicians in the country when i was in 8th grade, finished around 140 in the national MATHCOUNTS which iirc was in the top 10 white guys....
Take it from a guy whose mother was a national level middle distance runner, grandmother was a national level sprinter, father was a national level cross country runner who managed to end up being allergic to gluten and didn't find out until they were 16. I understand exactly how you feel when you say you regret not staying healthy. You just think of what could have been and kick yourself for not doing it.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
this is nowhere near an accomplishment, and i'm only going to mention this in the hopes that chaos sees this and appreciates me, but i'm fairly certain that i was the first person to notice an extremely obscure gameplay mechanic in star ocean: the second story, twelve or so years after its release. a few years ago, after playing the game pretty consistently for over a decade, i noticed that if you stood in front of npc's whom were trying to pace back and forth, they would eventually turn around and begin to walk in the opposite direction. if you ran and interrupted them from the opposite direction afterwards, they would again turn around and start walking. if you did this enough times, most characters would emote angrily and tell you off. in some instances they would give you items. one npc gives you a food item that's impossible to cook, and up until then only one copy of which was known to exist in the game (and it required bizarrely precise timing and much backtracking to acquire). this discovery was fairly important to the few nerds who were into doing perfect games.
HOLY SHIT! I will have to try this! Thanks for posting on my profile to alert me to this post, it was hella worth it

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
I'm a very good football/soccer player but pretty average in everything else

EDIT: Reading this thread makes me so fucking insecure...:pirate:

Last edited:
In 2009 my traveling soccer team was the best in the entire world of Arkansas.

State Champions 2009; Runners-up in 2010

No shame.

Back when I played Mario Kart DS, I was really good, like I could face 3-star players on Wi-Fi & win or be really close to those players. I wouldnt consider myself one of the best Mario Kart DS players in the world though :/

Unfortunately, I cant seem to play Wi-Fi on Mario Kart anymore so my days of it are over, unless I wanna replay it again which I may do.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
In high school, I was casted for a One Act in a leading role and we got to the state round and got 5/5 stars.

I'm the worlds best ace attorney and am also a professional Russian.

Apparently I hold the Sit-And-Reach for my school and I'd be willing to bet for other schools across Canada too.

May not be very impressive, but only 3 people in my school have gotten within 8cm of my record(Which is +32cm, or reaching 82cm on the meter stick).

In 2009 my traveling soccer team was the best in the entire world of Arkansas.

State Champions 2009; Runners-up in 2010

No shame.
I would say impressive except Arkansas barely has any soccer teams..

My team is pretty good but here in California you just can't compete with some of these all Mexican teams

If team accomplishments count then last year I was on one of the top 15 high school cross country teams in America, even if all I did was go across the country to watch my teammates compete.

I was briefly ranked in the top 10 players in the world in one of the Guitar Hero games back when those were popular. It was the sixth or something...Warriors of Rock I think.

(To calculate this, the game added up your top scores on each song in the game and came up with a cumulative score and it was ranked by that).

I was also among the first twenty people or so to full combo "Nothing for me Here" on Guitar Hero 3 (on expert obviously) which is one of the harder songs in that game.

God I had a problem back then.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty good at geography, back in middle school I made it to state for the geography bee. I certainly didn't win but it's pretty cool to know I was among the top 100 in Texas.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Oh, yeah, that's something I was good at - I was reading fluently at age 4 before I started school - I was the only person at my primary school in Kindergarten who could, and one of two at my pre-school.
I'm almost inclined to make another thread asking how many people were far ahead of their grade level in reading. I've seen it brought up on irc twice iirc and both times several people were like "yo that was me"
Although if you want to get rather good at pokemon you have to be ready to read a bunch (sets on smogon, not to mention just all the straight out game knowledge; pokemon's stats, attack descriptions, types, natures, etc) of stuff, attracts a certain demographic I guess.

But you better look out! Just getting into competitive pokemon, so who knows, maybe I'm gonna be a prodigy in that. ;D Though admittedly, that's doubtful. xD
this post is super cute

Last edited:
I'm pretty good at procrastinating, if there's something that needs to be done, I'm the first to not do it. I'm also very good at scavenging for supplies, as I was gifted with a level 10 perception.
Talking a bit more seriously, I'm very good at History, Geopolitcs and Sociology, and I'm also a smooth talker. I can convinve people that black is white, and I'm not sure about this one, but my friends and teachers said I should become an actor, so I think I might be good at acting. I'm not sure though, as I never tried acting aside from school projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)