Kaijudo

Introduction

Hello, Smogon. You may have seen me around in the OU Metagame and OU Analyses sections, but I have largely just lurked prior to this post. I've had experience with PS and PO for almost two years now, and I had the honor of my first battle being against The Pillsbury Doughboy and his stall team. I learned that this game can be the best ever or a real bitch. I've got a team akin to the bitch side of this game here, and it must be the second-greatest team I've conceived. I know that there is one team here that looks similar to it, but I tested this team long before that RMT surfaced here. So, without further wait, here is Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters.

At a Glance

Up Close

Calgo (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Politoed is essential for every serious Rain team not using Rain Dance despite being the disappointing prick it is. Jimbon suggest the spread, which outspeeds Jellicent so Toxic comes before Taunt. Leftovers works for just about every defensive Politoed, so no derp there. Scald is my STAB of choice, getting burns every now and then and backing up the defensive aspect of this set. Protect stalls for extra residual recovery/damage depending on who it afflicts. It isn't advised to use it recklessly though. Toxic is there as both a standard and to hit the Rotom-W that avoid the poisoning of Tentacruel due to Levitate. It's such a good move I have hard times taking it off. Finally Perish Song gets rid of set-up sweepers and ends games. I am trying to fit on Encore to give Kyurem an easy Substitute in some situations, so Perish may have to go. As someone mentioned in another thread, it's becoming outdated. Trying to fit Ice Beam too, maybe over Protect.

Calgo is the name for the Light Civilization's Vizier of Rainclouds.

Image credit to Xous
Dobulgyser (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Therian Landorus is a crazily underrated wall that is a godsend to balanced teams. That sexy 145 Attack on Gliscor-esque defenses is well worth the in-game trouble people may have. I have here the standard tank set, performing its job as a Garchomp and Terrakion counter admirably. Leftovers is just standard for Landorus, and rarely will he change items. The EV spread maximizes his defensive capabilities while ensuring the Stone Edge KO on Dragonite after SR. Earthquake is standard fare on EVERY physical Landorus, except for the idiots running Bulldoze. Landorus could not live with a Ground STAB. U-turn provides some momentum when his godly attack stat KOs something, allowing Kyurem a free switch-in sometimes. Stealth Rock provides the first of two entry hazards on the team and is a necessity for any team in most peoples' eyes. Last is Stone Edge, which as said before is crucial to hitting Dragonite in addition to Gliscor and other flyers.

Dobulgyser is the name of the Giant Rock Beast of the Fire Civilization.

Alcadeias (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Def
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Wish

Jirachi cannot find a better home than in the rain. It is second to none as a specially defensive wall, if not Rotom-W, able to tank Hurricane and Draco Meteor, the nuke attacks of OU. This is an odd set, but trust me, it works in much the same way as SubRoost Kyurem while also healing the teammates who can't recover on their own. The spread maximizes Jirachi's tanking abilities while giving it a decent amount of physical bulk. Gentle allows Thunder and Iron Head to do their top possible damage. Thunder is the obligatory Paralysis move here, as Body Slam can't touch ol' Gengar, a real pain for the team. It also provides a good Water nuke for Gyarados and company. Iron Head is the stall move here, flinching through many a Latias and other things that don't resist it. It is the rightful Lord of Hax, no doubt. Protect makes healing Jirachi guaranteed, stalls for Toxic damage, the like. it's a great move (Three. Protect. Users. Rage.)

Alcadeias is the Light's Lord of Spirits.

Neptas (Tentacruel) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Tentacruel, where to start. It works like a piece to a puzzle in this team, synergizing wonderfully with Landorus, Jirachi, and most importantly Kyurem. It acts as the spinner and secondary hazard layer for the team. Here we have a standard set yet again, with enough speed to outpace invested Base 70s like Breloom and maximized defenses. Scald and Protect serve the same purposes as they do on Politoed's set, burning and reinforcing defenses/stalling for recovery and poison damage. Toxic Spikes is the main reason Tentacruel is here over say Starmie, as Kyurem and Jirachi greatly appreciate stalling out for KOs instead of relying on attacking by themselves. This team uses this as its win condition, practically. Rapid Spin is another reason Tentacruel is here, knocking off the hazards that Kyurem oh-so hates. Tentacruel is also bulky enough to pull one off safely.

Tentacruel's nickname comes from a sea King of the Water Civilization.

Galiacruse (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Sacred Sword

Looking for a Choice Scarfer, were you? Well, Terrakion is the quintessential Scarfer for most teams, a combination of sheer speed and raw power that few Pokemon, if any, can match. You're looking at the golden standard here (it's shiny too), and the spread cannot get any more basic than maximized Attack and Speed with 4 EVs thrown elsewhere. Onto the moves, Close Combat is an underrated nuke attack you just want to go :kongler: over when it KOs something. This attack combines with Stone Edge to provide almost-perfect coverage with just two STAB attacks. Stone Edge provides insurance for flyers like Tornadus and a way to at least dent neutral things like Landorus and Gliscor, but that's hard to do when your Attack isn't boosted up. X-Scissor provides a blade with which to slice through Celebi with and is a more reliable option for Latias and Latios. Finally, Sacred Sword never sees much use at all, but it's there in case there's a Bulk Up sweeper or something that boosted up its Defense. Is Rock Slide more helpful though?

Galiacruse is the name of the Fire Civilization's Armored Transport machine, a literal Walker right from Star Wars.

Kachua (Kyurem) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 52 HP / 212 SAtk / 244 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Substitute

I never fell in love with a boss Pokemon on a team more than I did with Kyurem, one chill dude indeed and a monster at stalling out slower or slowed teams. This is the classic SubRoost set and Base Kyurem's only major set in this metagame, albeit with a slightly different spread. I use a Life Orb to give extra power to the sweeper both because it needs it and for the fact that many people say that Kyurem can still stall out multiple Pokemon without Leftovers. I certainly agree. The new Gliscor spread of 248/32/236 hits 286 Speed, and you bet I took the chance to out-speed the bugger by sacrificing 8 Special Attack EVs. It was well worth it, as I can set up a Substitute in its face before it can dare Toxic me. Ice Beam provides the main STAB move for Kyurem, used over Blizzard :evan: because this isn't exactly a Hail team, where you usually find Kyurem. Earth Power provides the best possible super-effective coverage in conjunction with Ice Beam and serves as a way to wreck Jirachi, who would normally make the Ice Dragon its bitch. Roost provides its healing, though Wish support is welcome. Both enable the stalling this set is known for. Finally, Substitute is the crux of the set, allowing Kyurem to hide and take Seismic Tosses, Volt Switches, Power Whips, Scalds and more and stay alive behind its doll. What a fun thing to do to win. Like I said, Kyurem is a real bitch. Testing Chople Berry right now to help with the RP Landorus and Breloom weakness.

Kachua is a Snow Faerie from the Nature Civilization.

Weaknesses

Scarf Latios - Jirachi can take it, but it gets to wreck everything else.
Dragons - The only ones that are problematic are ones unwallable by Landorus or Jirachi and hard to kill with Terrakion.
RP Landorus - What a prick this guy is. Thankfully, they don't show up as much as I expected.
Agility Thundurus-T - Prick, moreso than Landorus. It's just so rare.

Exportable

Calgo (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Dobulgyser (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Neptas (Tentacruel) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Alcadeias (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Def
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Wish

Galiacruse (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Sacred Sword

Kachua (Kyurem) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 52 HP / 212 SAtk / 244 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Substitute

Closing Statements

This team has been a blast testing, making, and everything in general. The TentaKyu combo is so underrated it's not funny. I encourage everyone to try it. Thanks to the OU Cores thread for the idea. Farewell, gamers, R&R as you like. It's a very fun strategy.

Thal

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Hi there! You are right that Dragons in general give you some problem, but thats just why you are using the wrong set on Jirachi. I dont really know why you have substitute over protect; protect makes sure you will get the wish so that you can stay in longer, solving your problem against special attackers like Latios. It also comes in handy against some dragon locked into outrage, also remember that Dragonite for example rarely have Earthquake and fire punch does not do much under rain, so you can even try to get a paralize and flinch it to death. For the others Dragon like Salamence you can revenge kill them with Terrakion, so i think its fine. You also may want to change your nature, since running a -def nature does not seem a good idea in my opinion, because jirachi is the only thing that can take an outrage. Sassy nature is fine, so you can put the rest of your evs into defense.

Now i would like to suggest you to use Kyurem-B instead of Kyurem-N, but i see that if you use a psysical set then ferrothon can be a problem, also Pressure comes in handy to Ppstall Gyro ball, so you can use kyurem-n.

There is not much you can do to fix your weakness to Landorus, the ebst would be to put a special defense Celebi instead of Kyurem but since its like the star of the team i cant change it, however i think that a chople berry can do the job. In this way you can survive an hit even after stealth rock damage and retaliate a ko with ice beam. It also comes in handy against Techloom, which can revenge kill you easily otherwhise.
In case you want to change your Kyurem into celebi, ill post the set. Thats it, i hope i helped.

Tl dr;

Sassy > Gentle
EVs: 252 HP/ 40 Def / 216 SDef > EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd

Chople berry > life orb

Celebi set:
Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic

The Chople Berry idea is intriguing, I do agree. I will most certainly test that out. Onto the Jirachi, I wanted to try the Subrachi so many people hyped on another site. It works much like SubKyurem. I can change up the spread right away, sure thing. The Speed hasn't really mattered when Gliscor is not much of a problem for me. Thanks for the rate.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey there,

So this is a pretty solid team already, and little needs to be changed. So the biggest threats to this team seem to be Agility/Rock Polish sweepers, particularly Thundurus-T and Landorus. Both at +2 can run straight through your team, Thundurus-T especially, as Landorus needs some prior damage on some Pokemon. To help with these weaknesses I would use Latias > Landorus-T. Latias is a fantastic check to both sweepers, and is a great sponge in general. Also between Latias / Tentacruel / Politoed you cover much of what you did with Landorus-T. I would recommend a LO set on Latias, with an EV spread of 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd. This gives Latias a LO number, while maximizing its speed. The rest of the EV's go into Special Attack. I also think that a moveset of Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Surf / Recover would work well for your team.

Now you seem to really like Landorus-T and may be hesistant about replacing him, so if you do not make the change I mentioned earlier then I would do the following changes: To help with this weakness to RP Sweepers I would run Body Slam > Thunder over Jirachi. This may seem like a weird change, but it does have merit. At the moment Jirachi is the biggest setup bait for Thundurus-T and Landorus, meaning if they get one of them in vs Jirachi it is essentially gg. By using Body Slam you can at least threaten a Paralysis on them, and ruin their sweeping potential. This team is also not very weak to Skarmory/Gyara so the loss of Thunder shouldn't be a huge issue. While I am on the topic of Jirachi, I would heavily recommend Protect over Substitute. Substitute is really only effective on CM sets, and Jirachi really appreciates the utility of Protect (not to mention it helps with tspikes stalling). While these changes don't hard wall Landorus/Thundurus, they do the best possible without changing Landorus-T. Anyways, cool team gl man.

tldr:
Landorus-T -----> Latias

or
Thunder -----> Body Slam on Jirachi
Substitute -----> Protect on Jirachi

I love using Latias, true that. Landorus-T is a fantastic part of the core, and without it there's a large Scizor weakness. What should I do about that? In the meantime, Chople has tested well, but I'll need a few more games to verify its usefulness. Protect will be going on Jirachi, thanks to you both. loving the versatility.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if I remove Landorus-T, who will set the SR?

Keep it coming.

Hi there,

Cool rain team you got here, Kyurem is really underrated especially when coupled with Toxic Spikes support, so props for using it. The one thing that really stood out as a big threat to me was Rock Polish Landorus, especially given the amount of things it can set up on (Jirachi, choice locked Terrakion, Landorus-T) and can proceed to hit everything hard with its coverage options, while your only hope really is to hope it misses Focus Blast against Kyurem. There are a couple ways to deal with this, but I think the easiest way would be to try out Choice Scarf Keldeo over Terrakion, mainly because Landorus cannot set up against it so easily as Keldeo carries a super effective move, while Keldeo also patches up your Dragons problem to an extent with Scarf Hidden Power [Ice]. Just a small suggestion, but if you choose to go with this, you may want to consider running Kyurem-B over Kyurem-N, as you may need a physical attacker to break through Special Walls easier, while Kyurem-B also has much better bulk than Kyurem-N so you can fare better against Landorus and such.

Also looking over your Politoed spread, it does seem like it is doing more harm than good. IMO, I think you'd be better off changing your EV spread to 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe. While you might lose some of the efficiency your set grants, you're also slightly weaker to the many physical attackers of the OU metagame. Honestly I find Politoed works best when you're fully invested in either defense / special defense, as it works on either side of the spectrum. I find when you try to compromise your defense EVs, you're moreso just a subpar bulky water at best, and you lose some of the ability to wall anything -- not to mention the majority of Special Attackers are deal with by Jirachi, while the ones that aren't, such as Thundurus-T, Politoed shouldn't be staying in against anyway. The 32 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed Jellicent and Toxic it before it Taunts you, which is important because Jellicent looks incredibly annoying to face, especially if you haven't got Toxic Spikes up. You may also want to try Ice Beam somewhere on Politoed's moveset, probably over Protect, mainly because you listed Dragons as a threat and Ice Beam makes sure you're not turned into setup fodder for Salamence and Dragonite.

I'd also agree with dragonuser's suggestion of Body Slam > Thunder on Jirachi, mainly because it is reliable outside of Rain, and stops Jirachi being turned into a liability against setup sweepers such as Dragonite, Thundurus-T, Venusaur, Latias and Landorus.

Good luck!

Thank you Jimbon. I love how the ones to comment on this team are some of the best battlers here. It gives me some assurance that I'm doing something right.

The Politoed spread has been lacking a bit, true. I was looking for a spread like yours, so in that goes. About Keldeo, I've always loved the colt, so I will surely try it. Paired with Latias, the two may break most of the walls together, and it gives me a good sweeper, but I will have NO pure physical presence. I can't really use Cube because the win condition here is stalling out the weakened teams with Kyurem. Stars just don't pack up and leave, right?

The Jirachi dilemma, oh god. I've made three changes to that set already. I like Body Slam right now, but bulky waters piss on everything but Kyurem. I'll let you guys know how it goes there.

Thank you all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)