Item Kee/Maranga Berry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Pants items really but they can be used to allow your Pokemon to avoid 2HKOs from
certain things. CB Talonflame can't 2HKO as many things if they get +1 Def after the first hit. Of course, you can only counter him once this way but that can be enough sometimes considering recoil and hazard damage.

I think they work best on pokes that tend to run recover+bulk up/calm mind, guys like reuniclus, slowbro, cradily, or torterra, that would love a buff in the def they can't boost, to give them the staying power so they don't have to switch. Not entirely foolproof, probably won't see serious OU play, but it's an idea I've been thinking of trying (maybe not on slowbro because he likes to switch and has scald for def buff, but I've already got plans for Shell Armor Marangacurse Toterra hoping to at least do well in UU and net some surprises in OU if I notice only 1/2 pokes per team run ice coverage)

Maranga Berry maybe can see some use on Talonflame's Bulk Up set, maybe? It gives him a nice boost do it's special defense, allowing him to get Bulk Ups more easily while, after activation, Acrobatics can be used. Since this this set relies on survivability, and Brave Bird certainly doesn't help in this regard, this could be a nice replacement to Lefties+Brave Bird (sweeping with Brave Bird is hard lol).

What about something like Calm Mind Harvest Exegcutor? You CM and boost up forcing them to attack your physical side, which causes you to get boosts that you can harvest back. Giga Drain slightly remedies the loss of sitrus/rest+lum.

Giga Drain
Calm Mind
Psychock/Psychic
Substitue/Hidden Power/ Leech seed
Nice idea. I'm going to breed a Exeggute with Calm Mind right now.

What? it doesn't learn Calm Mind? boo

I don't know if a set with Belch is viable. I was thinking maybe Magmortar could use it to patch up its awful defense on a switch and then fire Belch (Poison-120BP-90%) all over from its 125 SpA. But Magmortar has a hard time switching in on physical attacks.

Wheezing is also an option, using the other one to patch its SDef while getting access to Belch.

Slowbro looks promising for this strategy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)