Klefki @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 252 HP/252 Def/ 4 SpAtt
Bold Nature
-Switcheroo
-Thunder Wave
-Spikes
-Flash Cannon
Dump the specs on some unsuspecting Pokemon (Preferably one with no special attacks) Spikes isn't that horrible to be locked into, and Flash cannon for actually using the specs if necessary (such as getting taunted). And Twave whatever poor soul gets stuck with the specs and isn't Ground or Electric type. It's really nice to give something like Cloyster or Terrakion or Ferrothorn specs.

Hm, seems like a very interesting set. It's like a LC Cotton Guard/Calm Mind Swirlex except in OU. Can you explain the EV spread? I'm curious on that. Also, wouldn't something like HP Ground in the last slot be more appropriate? It prevents things like steel types from completely walling it, while providing perfect coverage.
No, Substitute is basically a must to avoid Crits or Statuses ruining your day, but T-Wave has more utility. At +6 you'd at least 3HKO anything even with D.Kiss so coverage is redundant. Also I prefer leftovers as the item of choice as you will need every bit of recovery. In fact, Whimsicott and Slurpuff in UU/OU can run a similar set with Cotton Guard over Iron Defense, Giga Drain over D.Kiss for Whimsicott and Aromatherapy on the last slot for Slurpuff, but I digress.

I find it kinda weird that this thread has mentioned a lot of good things (once you sift through all the swagkey crap) but none of them has got into the official klefki analysis. I wonder if he actually read all the things everyone has been posting? :\ There isnt even a mention of half the possible sets in the "Other Options" section, its just the exact same sets that they guy wrote on the first page that he never updated... seems like a real shame :( Maybe I missed the point of this forum but I thought the stuff people were discussing here would at least have a little bit of an impact on the official analysis that gets written.

Because most are gimmicky af
Some of them are outright mediocre, but tons of sets have been posted. This thing has priority rest, amazing typing to pair with a torment set, unique move in fairy lock, as well as perfectly viable recycle and switcheroo sets- these things should be put into alternative options at least (although honestly i think the recycle and switcheroo sets are two of its best sets but w/e)

edit: im not gunna lose sleep over it i just thought it seemed weird

Last edited:
My Klefki's moveset is as follows

Klefki @ Air Balloon
Ev: 252 HP , 252 Def , 4 SpD

Calm Nature

Thunder Wave
Toxic
Spikes
Foul Play

Air Balloon has been a God Send which grants immunity to threats such as Krokorok and Garchomp

Fire weaknesses are easily countered by a bulky water type i.e. Blastoise, Milotic etc.

Don't be condescending. Swagger+Twave is still the best set. Everyone here is insecure and overreacting to it, over-analyzing it and trying to shoot it down when it's obviously the set Klefki is going to be running in OU the most.

It's hilariously depressing to see the Suicide Lead set on here but not the Swagger set. It's way better.
My dear sir, it looks like other people are not the only ones 'overreacting' to SwagKey here.

Sorry if I seemed condescending to you, but it is fairly obvious that you either did not ready any of the previous posts or are simply too fixated that SwagKey is the best set. I've already established the shortcomings of the set, mainly its occasional inability to perform even its one job even under perfect circumstances. I don't think the Suicide lead is the most recommended set either (Draining Kiss can't really heal enough to justify the moveslot), as I personally prefer if Klefki didn't die so quickly since it still has a lot it can do, but between its interesting support movepool combined with Prankster, you can't seriously believe that relying solely on luck is the best chance Klefki has in OU. SupportKey does what it can to support the team (which it usually can do); SwagKey flips a coin and hope the opponent doesn't manage to push its face in. If SwagKey has room for Spikes then it would be worth consideration, but pure Swag + T-Wave Klefki is by no means reliable at doing its sole job, hence why it isn't on the main sets.

It's not just that either: what are you doing with SwagKey that other Klefki sets cannot? Spread paralysis? Other Klefkis can just as easily fit Thunder Wave on their sets and stop most sweepers on a mere whim. Sweep teams? Maybe SwagKey can sweep some opponents that do not know how to play around Klefki or are just having a bad day, but other Klefkis can use Spikes to soften up opponents so its teammates that are much more effective at sweeping can do the job much more efficiently.

Yes, I know and have seen replays of SwagKeys taking out entire teams by themselves, but the same can happen if you use Dual Screens Klefki with Spikes alongside 5 sweepers, some of which that can take out bothersome Pokemon like Ground-types, Electric-types, Defoggers / Rapid Spinners, and bulky walls, and they don't have to deal with the luck factor as much as Klefki.

With that said...

It can indeed be a legit strategy, but other Klefkis can bring so much more to the table. Even if SwagKey has the most damage potential out of all the Klefkis, the less offensive versions of Klefki are rarely deadweight if they accomplish their jobs and allow a sweeper / setup sweeper to clean up the opposing team, which they can do with near guaranteed success, unlike SwagKey.
Just came back to quote this to say I told you all you so! Swag Key was the best, and now it's banned! Lol! So much for people dismissing it as a deadweight gimmick.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Just came back to quote this to say I told you all you so! Swag Key was the best, and now it's banned! Lol! So much for people dismissing it as a deadweight gimmick.
My dear sir, you make it sound like Swagger Sableye and Thundurus-I are their best sets, when that is nowhere near the case and you know that. It was banned for (arguably) the same reasons Double Team is: the matchups were decided by luck and / or counterteaming instead of skill, and is a huge blemish on the competitive scene.

It wasn't banned for being too good, it was banned for being obnoxious as fuck and for being a strategy used only by assholes.
I don't think there's a meaningful difference. If SwagKey had tons and tons of counters in OU, it wouldn't have been banned or even suspected. It's why nobody gave a fuck about Swagger Liepard in Gen 5.

Would Recycle + Air Balloon on Klefki be any good? It has the ability to bring back items instantly thanks to Prankster.

I don't think there's a meaningful difference. If SwagKey had tons and tons of counters in OU, it wouldn't have been banned or even suspected. It's why nobody gave a fuck about Swagger Liepard in Gen 5.

Would Recycle + Air Balloon on Klefki be any good? It has the ability to bring back items instantly thanks to Prankster.
Actually a lot of people hated swagger liepard in gen 5. No one used it because the swag play core was mediocre at the time. Klefki made swag play teams viable. Klefki isn't nearly as effective alone. And Recycle + Air Balloon is interesting, but probably gimmicky. Maybe a toxic stall set with sub + protect + recycle + toxic could be annoying, but ultimately I think the lack of recovery would put an untimely end to klefki.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
To put it quite simply, the only reason swag play got banned was because it was annoying to play against and it limited team building. It limited team building because you would really need an own tempo Pokemon or something to dispatch of them quickly before you have a minor breakdown wondering why the fuck anyone would do something to another human being... So no. It's like cosmic power sigilyph in generation 5 RU. It was considered a noob set and if you used it you would win sometimes, but nobody liked you if you were an avid user because it was not fun to play against. Thankfully the people running RU managed to hype other Sigilyph sets so much that it was barely used, but with Klefki there's like 1 barely viable set (hazards) which another Pokemon will be able to do better, so because Klefki is an overall shitmon they just had to outright ban the set and hope it drops into UU.

Come on, Klefki is far from shitty.
I never used the swag set (because I hate these tactis), and always preferred a dual screen set combined with thunder wave and toxic, and works gratly.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Come on, Klefki is far from shitty.
I never used the swag set (because I hate these tactis), and always preferred a dual screen set combined with thunder wave and toxic, and works gratly.
I would rather use a large number of Pokemon. Off the top of my head I'm thinking Cresselia, Mega Gardevoir and bulky psychics like that, as well as a few ghost types who seem to learn it.

I would rather use a large number of Pokemon. Off the top of my head I'm thinking Cresselia, Mega Gardevoir and bulky psychics like that, as well as a few ghost types who seem to learn it.
They have different niches. Klefki has an excellent one, thanks to its type and ability.

I use a bit of an unorthodox set for Kleptokey but it's absolutely hilarious to use once you set up. This set was made by Verlisify which some people don't like him for whatever reason but the set is worth a look. I really enjoy using it.

Klefki @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 240 HP / 52 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
-Iron Defense
-Calm Mind
-Draining Kiss
-Substitute/T.Wave
the discussion of why people don't like him could go on forever, but one reason is useless sets.

this one, for example, has absolutely no offensive pressure. first, a whirlwind/roar or taunt shuts this thing down hard and at best, you're only really delaying the inevitable KO, because, while it will be harder to take down, it will need a lot of setup to kill anything with just draining kiss and will more than likely lose to attrition. a strong attacker can just keep breaking through subs anyway without giving klefki any chance to setup at all.
it can certainly work against a player who isn't very skilled, but there are many sets that can be considered great if your opponent is just asleep at the wheel.

Reviving old threads in the middle of insomnia is clearly the best idea YOLO or whatever you hip kids say

Anyway I run a Klefki for a joke team filled to bursting with priority for the sake of priority: despite the non-serious origins, I dabbled with Klefki a bit and made something that's actually kinda solid.

Klefki @ Leftovers
248 HP / 220 Def / 40 SpDef
Careful
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Fairy Lock
- Foul Play

248 EVs in HP to maximize overall bulk while minimizing all possible entry hazard damage, 40 Special Defense EVs and a boosting nature to hit a jump point that allows him to always survive a Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump (given no entry hazard damage anyway, though still commendable for a sentient keyring), and the remainder dumped into Defense because obvious (even with the SpDef investment, he still has enough physical bulk to make non-Banded/non-Belly Drummed Azumarill's Waterfall fail to 2HKO, factoring in Lefties recovery). Thunder Wave and Spikes for obvious support, Foul Play to avoid being Taunt bait and to punish anyone trying to set up in his face (and with the remaining hoard of priority waiting in the wings on my team, Klefki slapping someone on the wrist like that tends to be a time-delayed fatality), and Fairy Lock for shenanigans when you know you're about to get rammed yet don't particularly need Klefki anymore. Sorry, EQ-locked Scarf Lando-T, but not even your Intimidate can save you from a Talonflame that just managed to get 2 free SD's from your mustachio'd face.

Calcs to back up the specific claims I just made:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 40+ SpD Klefki: 262-309 (82.6 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 40+ SpD Klefki: 262-309 (82.6 - 97.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Klefki: 138-163 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Klefki: 138-163 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+3 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 466-550 (131.6 - 155.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even in death, Klefki can and will be a troll. Fear the Prankster Fairy Lock and its time-delayed Destiny Bond nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)