Kyurem

IT's #90 on wifi and #99 on DW tier usage atm, so it looks like he'll go straight to BL (and rightfully so imo, as even with 660 BST he's suprisingly outclassed).
doesnt that make meloetta and victini BL too ? they're at #91 and #97 respectively.
well i think the metagame hasnt stabalise so its too early to tell

Thats not too hard to imagine...Nobody wants a Cm'r with the most crappy typing for the most part and ancient song sets are just BAD.As for Vicutini he has a very bad typing with a lot of common weaknesses and is outclassed by Infernape and ken for the most part.So i really dont think it would come much as a surprise that they drop to BL.

Thats not too hard to imagine...Nobody wants a Cm'r with the most crappy typing for the most part and ancient song sets are just BAD.As for Vicutini he has a very bad typing with a lot of common weaknesses and is outclassed by Infernape and ken for the most part.So i really dont think it would come much as a surprise that they drop to BL.
Extly.Maleotta sucks.

I thought that its Fighting Form was going to be awesome,but nope.Its useless and a gimick that doesn't worse.I wouldn't be surprised if Maleotta went straight into UU same as Moltres/Articuno/Entei and now this guy.

Hm I seem to be a little late to the party but... this thing is awful. Quite honestly terrible. I've used it on PO and faced it many times. 130 attacking in both stats is not that great when coupled with a BARREN movepool and only base 95 speed to work with when facing the likes of Garchomp and Salamence. It is easy to kill, it is hard to work with; I really struggle to see this thing even in OU at this rate.

Roobushin, Breloom, AND Scizor all have huge attack stats and strong STAB priority to kill this thing. And these are only three viable threats. What about Speed Boost Blaziken? What about Hihidaruma? Not to mention countless other FASTER powerhouses. This thing got screwed. Hell, look at its signature move, Icy Wind Supreme and 10 less base points than its counterparts. Thanks for this disaster GameFreak, what's next, an item that raises defenses of unevolved pokemon by a shit-ton? Oh wait...

That would be the first two pokemon EVER in the tiering history to be put in UU with a BST 600.
The Regis expolded, Moltres went on a rampage, articuno cried, and slaking and regigigas just sat there...three of those are NU btw. ;)

Edit: oops, I forgot about mesprit and uxie...Cress was UU for about a week too wasn't she?

The Regis expolded, Moltres went on a rampage, articuno cried, and slaking and regigigas just sat there...three of those are NU btw. ;)

Edit: oops, I forgot about mesprit and uxie...Cress was UU for about a week too wasn't she?
yeah but they had 580 BST...
ok maybe except for cresselia.
ah, slaking and regigigas was trolled by trollfreak.

If Gamefreak could at least give Kyurem another 20 more base points to its speed to tie with Reshiram and Zekrom BST. and what's up with them. giving them such a horrible movepool. ( I MEAN COME ON, BIG MIGHTY DRAGONS THAT DOESN'T GET EARTHQUAKE ) thank goodness reshiram and zekrom have two insanely powerful attack.
but kyurem got nothing.
thanks trollfreak.

That would be the first two pokemon EVER in the tiering history to be put in UU with a BST 600.
Actually, Regigigas (may he rest in peace) gets the honor of having (over) 600 stats and getting banished to UU, actually, NU because of that horrid ability. Slaking is a heck of a lot better (single wise, both are pretty good doubles) than that.

But anyways. Kyurem...has a small movepool (gosh darn it, why did his special moves have to be two turn charges because otherwise, even resisted they'd hurt like hell and also, what up with that awesome attack and almost nothing to use it with?).

His advantages are his resistances to water, electric, grass, neutrality to ice...and his downsides are the weaknesses. Rock, Steel, Fighting are the only real ones to worry about (all dragons are weak to dragon except Dialga) because of that blasted priority although the good news is that Breloom will only revenge kill, not switch in with impunity like those dang steel types (Breloom sure don't want to be Draco Meteored/Blizzarded/Icebeamed etc to death). Although how common is Choice Jirachi out of curiousity? Because if that isn't so common anymore, you could x that off and Metagross is lesser seen. The real steel is Scizor which spells doom.

It's not really Steels (except Scizor) that are concerning, but the Stealth Rock and Choice Scarf Dragons and revenge Mach Punchers. If it wasn't for them, this would kick butt hard. Dragon/Ice is slightly overlapping, but it hits most types hard and getting spammed by Draco Meteors and Blizzards (in Hail which especially hurt) and Icebeams. Also, earlier a Dual Screen set was posted which seems interesting because if you keep Stealth Rock off, behind screens, Kyurem won't die to Mach Punch/Bullet Punch and will be able to kill/switch out of whatever comes in. I think Starmie would be a good team mate for the Kyurem dragon with Rapid Spin and being able to absorb those Punches as well as threatening back. You need to beware of the other moves at times (U-Turn/Bullet Seed) but when facing Kyurem, they're probably not going to do that (well maybe U-Turn spam because they expect Kyu to run maybe).

The movepool is disappointing yes, but it's somewhat useable. I doubt it would fall to BL but probably to that point like Milotic, Donphan, Cresselia where they were technically OU but are so rare you pretty much never saw them.

Focus Blast is a horrid accuracy move yes. But that has never stopped other Pokemon from using it, usually because they have nothing better or need the coverage. But it is staple on Gengar, Alakazam, Rankurusu, Darkrai, Voltlos, etc. Able to have it is far better than not so stop complaining about Kyurem's needing it to hit steels.

Is it good? Meh, maybe not in comparison to (should be banned to Uber) Latios but it isn't totally hopeless for Kyurem. Plus, it is cool looking (why do people think it's ugly?) and can do some stuff like Choice Scarf, Screen, Frozen World (not as useful OU but good Ubers), go somewhat mixed, etc. With Rapid Spin and Wish, it can be pretty deadly. They're are a lot worse Pokemon. The Kyurem hate is a little extreme and uncalled for, it's not perfect and there are a couple other things that do it slightly better (although Sazandora runs into the same Mach Punch problems) but it certainly isn't bad by any means and once Latios is most likely removed (Choice Specs Draco Meteor is ridiculous from Latios in particular) Kyurem will take it's place. But it will never fall to UU.

Actually behind Reflect (lol, everything is good behind a screen and how many still use Brick Break?) Wish support will make this thing beastly. Even Scizor and Guts boosted Roopushin will only deal enough damage that will be entirely neutralized by Wish. And Kyurem 2 hit koes back (Life Orb Modest Max special attack)...

Plus, think of a combo Dragonite+Kyurem the repeated but never specified Dragon combo (Dragonite appreciates the rapid spin and screen support). Dragonite pounds physically and takes the punches while Kyurem blasts special side. Kyurem does have a neutrality to Ice and it takes an insane Ice attack to drop Dragonite thanks to Multi-Scale while lets him survie pretty much anything.

A dual screen set might be interesting - he's got pretty damn good defenses and a few (very few) key resistances on him.

Personally, I love him. Obviously he's not absolutely fantastic/gloriously amazing/broken, but he's pretty good. He's not god awful or terrible, he's far from it. I enjoy using him as a mixed sweeper in hail.

Possible viable set:

Bulky Stall @ Leftovers
128 HP / 252 Def (dunno about rest of EVs, maybe Spe to outspeed most walls and some Sp.Def)

Dragon Tail
Frozen World
Toxic
Protect

First time you bring him to battle just use Dragon Tail to scout for counters (cough*steels*cough). Lower speed for next pokemon and mix Dragon Tail/Toxic. Protect to Toxic stall and to scout choiced pokes.

So what does this have over Lugia? Only the ability of faking a mixed set. Oh, and that he can fill the niche on hail stall teams. Nothing more.

On PO, every time I see one of these things what ensues can only be described as a train wreck. Its remarkably easy to kill even with its stats, and its moves are just too easy to wall. While its attacking stats look impressive to the naked eye Ice and Dragon coverage leaves you begging for Steel type switch-ins, and bring in one of the rather large amount that isn't weak to Focus Blast (Metagross, Jirachi, Skarmory, Scizor, Forettress, Genesect, Bronzong, Shubarugo, etc.) and this guy is instantly walled. And none of those pokemon take more than neutral damage from any of its other competitively viable moves (Shadow Ball, Psychic, Payback, Shadow Claw...) and as if that isn't enough, half of them often run boosting sets, which makes Kyu set-up bait as well. That, and its slow.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Specs Kyuremu hits hard as fuck, especially in Hail.

Kyuremu @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Blizzard (Just spam this, you won't go wrong, seriously)
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast

Yeah, yeah, other Dragons can also spam Draco Meteor, but if you can get Hail going, no other Dragon has a special 120 Base Power STAB spamming attack. Kyuremu doesn't give a crap what switches into Blizzard, whatever it is, it's going to take >30% minimum, even Blissey.

I remember when Gira-O came out ppl were bitching about its speed. Then it turned out to be a great poke. But Kyuremu is nowhere near Gira-O. Gira-O has the movepool (EQ, Shadow Sneak, Aura Sphere, Stone Edge, Shadow Ball, Calm Mind, Shadow Force, etc.) and good typing/ability (2 neutralities). This piece of garbage screams for a mixed set (to take advantage of its speed) but lacks the movepool; has somewhat good defense stats but horrible typing. Wanna go mixed? Use MixQuaza for speedy wallbreaker or Mixed Dialga for a bulkier attacker. I would have preferred him as a bulkier Dragon with 95 Spe (so he can still outspeed 90 base pokes) but 105 defenses with 120 attack/sp.attack and Earth Power.

OMG, this thing desperately needs Earth Power (at least would make a Choice Specs set viable)

EDIT: @shrang: why not modest?

Kyumeru @ Leftovers
Timid
40 Hp/252 Def/216 Spe
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Blizzard/ Protect (?)
~ Dragon Tail / Toxic (?)

Just theorymoning, as I'm not terribly fantastic when it comes to EV spreads.

A +1 252 Adamant Roopushin Drain Punch does 45.4% - 53.9% to this spread under Reflect, and Roopushin will only be capable of 2HKO'ing him if he manages to roll max damage twice (which, with protect, you can avoid, also, sets that run 240 Atk or less fail to achieve this). The speed Evs also let Kyumeru set up screens on all Pokemon of base 90 speed or lower.

Espeon would probably make an all around good partner for this set, if only to keep entry hazards (Stealth Rock) off the field for him and any other Ice Pokemon if you're running a hail team.

The speed might not be necessary, I figured it'd be useful anyways.

Specs Kyuremu hits hard as fuck, especially in Hail.

Kyuremu @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Blizzard (Just spam this, you won't go wrong, seriously)
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast

Yeah, yeah, other Dragons can also spam Draco Meteor, but if you can get Hail going, no other Dragon has a special 120 Base Power STAB spamming attack. Kyuremu doesn't give a crap what switches into Blizzard, whatever it is, it's going to take >30% minimum, even Blissey.
This is going to work..Nope.

Unless this set is meant for UU this won't work at all and is just another gimick.

OU is dominated by Sand and will remain so.So the chances of this actually working are slim and considering the fact that Rooposhin,Choice Scarf Shandera and Tyranitar are all so popular the last more you want to be using is Blizzard.

Man, this guy sucks...

Unless this set is meant for UU this won't work at all and is just another gimick.

OU is dominated by Sand and will remain so.So the chances of this actually working are slim and considering the fact that Rooposhin,Choice Scarf Shandera and Tyranitar are all so popular the last more you want to be using is Blizzard.

Man, this guy sucks...
At this point (with Drizzletoad and Droughtales) hail seems like a gimmick anyway. If you're looking for a hard hitter on a hail team, specs could work pretty well.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Man, this guy sucks...
I've been using Hail in WiFi at the moment and it's nowhere near a gimmick. Firstly, Shadow Tag Shandera doesn't exist yet, secondly, Roobushin can't switch into Kyuremu at all (And Kyu also takes a Mach Punch and kills you with Specs boosted Blizzard) and thirdly, if you play your Abomasnow correctly, you can keep Hail up quite easily. Even if Shandera does get released with Shadow Tag, just run Shed Shell on Abomasnow and laugh at Shandera.

Kyurem does make an interesting Anti-Lead through the use of Frozen World which can be used effectively in OU. I've run the following as an anti-lead with success:

Kyurem @ Focus Sash/Lum Berry
252 Spa/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP

Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Frozen World
Draco Meteor/ Dragon Pulse

Kyurem outspeeds pretty much all leads bar the occasional scarf lead (which kyurem doesnt mind receiving tbh) after a Frozen World, and scares out Gliscor, Erufuun, and Heatran off of the bat. Aerodactyl and Azelf both easily fall to the Frozen World/Beam or Draco combo, as does Borutorosu (you can just Ice Beam it too). Lum Berry is an option for leads that use status like Roserade/Erufuun/the occasional T-Wave Borutorosu.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man, Snow Warming Kyuremu. I'm shivering at the amount of destruction would lie in his wake. Especially with regards to Rain; Rain can't do shit to him.

Using as and anti lead sounds nice but lead kojondos, gigisus(sometimes), and brogzong would walk all over him. Erfuun however is lol, unless it's using that paralyisis power(what's the name?)

Are their lead brongzong?

Stun Powder.

Kyuremu from my experience with using it is best suited on a hail styled team using Scarf to clean up teams after your party has weakened them. Max EV'd Modest Blizzard does a lot of damage to anything that doesn't have significant investment in Special Defense, even against resists. Coupled with entry hazards, it can take teams out quickly. It also has enough Speed to outrun Shandera who try to revenge you.

Really the only thing it has going for it over other Dragon types that is of any significant value is STAB Blizzard off of base 130 Special Attack, where other dragons rely on Draco Meteor for the same effect, and are crippled after one use. It does this well, mind you, but it is a limited purpose.

It will likely become significantly better in the third instalment, either via a new form, move tutor additions, an exclusive item, or something to that effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)