LC Analysis Questions and Suggestions

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
This thread can be used for any questions or suggestions you have regarding LC analyses. That might include any of the following:
  • Questions about how to write an LC analysis
  • Suggesting a Pokemon that you think deserves an analysis
  • Adding or updating a set
  • Updating or improving information
  • Revamping an analysis
Keep in mind that all suggestions about a specific Pokemon should be aimed at changing the onsite analysis. If the analysis is still in progress, post inside of that Pokemon's thread instead.

If you don't feel like posting here or would rather get a quicker answer, there are often many people willing to help in the metagame or QC channels in the LC Discord or in the Little Cup room on PS. Try to find members of the QC team!

This is not a thread for reserving an analysis or for suggesting grammatical changes. Those can be done here and here respectively.

Useful Links:
Grammar Prose Team Queue
Spelling and Grammar Standards
Guide to Writing an Analysis

Question: When you have finished your 1st LC analysis but is still not yet uploaded and a new slate comes out, can you already reserve Mid Priority mons despite your first LC analysis still not yet being released?

This thread can be used for any questions or suggestions you have regarding LC analyses. That might include any of the following:
  • Revamping an analysis
Keep in mind that all suggestions about a specific Pokemon should be aimed at changing the onsite analysis. If the analysis is still in progress, post inside of that Pokemon's thread instead.

If you don't feel like posting here or would rather get a quicker answer, there are often many people willing to help in the metagame or QC channels in the LC Discord or in the Little Cup room on PS. Try to find members of the QC team!

This is not a thread for reserving an analysis or for suggesting grammatical changes. Those can be done here and here respectively.

Useful Links:
Grammar Prose Team Queue
[Question] So I have been interested in Gen 7 LC for quite a while now and just for fun, I've decided that I should try to create a team for Gen 7 LC. I just don't know where to get started. I have already checked the SM LC Roles Compendium if that helps at all. Plz help with this.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[Question] So I have been interested in Gen 7 LC for quite a while now and just for fun, I've decided that I should try to create a team for Gen 7 LC. I just don't know where to get started. I have already checked the SM LC Roles Compendium if that helps at all. Plz help with this.
Hi there! This forum is dedicated to writing analyses for Gen 8 LC, so there won't be much information here about SM. I would encourage you to look through the archived SM LC forum for resources and sample teams, or the uploaded SM LC analyses. The meta isn't played particularly frequently anymore, but I'm sure that people in the LC Discord would be happy to answer any questions as well. I hope this helped!

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
This post might belong in Past Gen C&C, I am not quite clear which is more appropriate.

The DPP LC metagame has evolved, or perhaps more accurately, been refined over the years since I was QC/writing it. As such, the analyses are quite dated, and are in need of some new quality control and potential revamping. Trying to get into DPP LC based on the analyses alone would probably lead to some confusion, considering the frequency that now defunct Pokemon like Paras and Phanpy are mentioned. DPP LC has games from LCWC II/LCPL and, as a result, an active community of players and usage statistics. I believe it would be beneficial to begin the process of giving the tier a little C&C love and making things more accessible for new players who haven't touched DPP in their life.

As an example, the RBY C&C team has been doing a fantastic job of including RBY mechanics and historical context in their analysis updates. However, we can go even a step further in preserving the history of the metagames, including trends like Phanpy and Paras. As oppose to replacing the current on-site analysis with a revamped one, I propose creating two Format tabs, LC and LC (Outdated), and moving the old on-site analysis to the LC (Outdated) tab. This would be useful for archiving the metagame trends of a decade ago, as preserving the contributions of the past writers. That second point might be a little nostalgic, but I feel it would be right to recognize the effort of the writers, QC, and GP teams of that time by keeping their content visible on-site.

RBY has a little disclaimer as their analyses are being revamped (example) and I think including a disclaimer on the LC (Outdated) page would be appropriate as well. I admit I am not super in touch with the current LC C&C community and don't know if there is even an interest in revamping the on-site content, but I think it would do the metagame a lot of good and help get more people engaged with it. Thoughts?

And thank you for bearing with my sentimentality. DPP LC was a big part of my life at the time and seeing the metagame still going has been inspiring.

• Revamping an analysis

Useful Links:
Grammar Prose Team Queue
I think clawitizer needs an analysis

There's been a Grookey set being used recently that uses Grassy Seed and Acrobatics to help with Grass Resists and Fighting types. Here's the set.

The Set

Hopefully this gets added.

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/mienfoo/
On the choice scarf mienfoo set, i think theres a case to slash Stone Edge on slot 4 over just Close Combat.
Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Level: 5
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Close Combat / Stone Edge

Generally Speaking, you would probably want to run close combat, however stone edge can be used on larvesta weak teams and can help ease predict on something like a natu switchin been running it with quite alot of success recently
some quick calcs:

236 Atk Mienfoo Stone Edge vs. 76 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 24-32 (104.3 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

236 Atk Mienfoo Stone Edge vs. 36 HP / 236 Def Eviolite Natu: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Drifting

in my glo stance smokin' dope
is a Tiering Contributor
I think that a Choice Scarf Frillish set should be added to the current Frillish analysis.

On ladder in August 2022, 10% of Frillish were Choice Scarf, with this number increasing to up to 15% when looking only at high elo. For reference, Choice Scarf Mienfoo which does have an analysis only received 7% overall and 8% at high ladder. This high Scarf Frillish usage makes sense considering how viable the set is as a Magby counter.

The set is currently mentioned in the "Other Options" section of the analysis, but I think this is insufficient. The "Other Options" section should be for things like Triple Fang Tyrunt, rather than a set which is the complete polar opposite of what the Pokemon usually does (which in Frillish's case is being a defensive tank).

Overall, the meta-relevance/usage of Scarf Frillish combined with how different it is from normal Frillish makes me believe the set should be added to the analysis. I myself could write it on a very short notice, as I have a lot of experience building with and using the mon. The set is included below.

Frillish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Trick / Ice Beam

I think that a Choice Scarf Frillish set should be added to the current Frillish analysis.

On ladder in August 2022, 10% of Frillish were Choice Scarf, with this number increasing to up to 15% when looking only at high elo. For reference, Choice Scarf Mienfoo which does have an analysis only received 7% overall and 8% at high ladder. This high Scarf Frillish usage makes sense considering how viable the set is as a Magby counter.

The set is currently mentioned in the "Other Options" section of the analysis, but I think this is insufficient. The "Other Options" section should be for things like Triple Fang Tyrunt, rather than a set which is the complete polar opposite of what the Pokemon usually does (which in Frillish's case is being a defensive tank).

Overall, the meta-relevance/usage of Scarf Frillish combined with how different it is from normal Frillish makes me believe the set should be added to the analysis. I myself could write it on a very short notice, as I have a lot of experience building with and using the mon. The set is included below.

Frillish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Trick / Ice Beam
Let's talk about Water Sprout Immunity.
There Mantyke, Poliwag and the Opposing Frillish who have Water Absorb, Helioptile is an great answer to Choice Scarf Frillish due to being immune to Water due to Dry Skin and Frillish Ghost STAB, Croagunk also has Dry Skin, but it needs Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, Sucker Punch, Knock Off or Thunder Punch to beat Frillish. Lileep and Shellos have Storm Drain and they can easily switch in against Frillish.

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Let's talk about Water Sprout Immunity.
There Mantyke, Poliwag and the Opposing Frillish who have Water Absorb, Helioptile is an great answer to Choice Scarf Frillish due to being immune to Water due to Dry Skin and Frillish Ghost STAB, Croagunk also has Dry Skin, but it needs Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, Sucker Punch, Knock Off or Thunder Punch to beat Frillish. Lileep and Shellos have Storm Drain and they can easily switch in against Frillish.
Ok,
When is Mantyke, Poliwag, and Helioptile ever viable?
Lileep / Croakgunk are niche at best and they are both very uncommon. Granted both will beat you but also note these 2 are uncommon on the LC ladder and in tour settings.
Frillish never wants Water Absorb Imo, Cursed bodys move disable is just better in the long run and water absorb only really helps with staryu who just will Thunderbolt you
If your running Shellos why arent you running Sticky Hold shellos lol, there is no reason to go Storm Drain shellos ever unless your meming or Cteaming someone.

If your running Shellos why arent you running Sticky Hold shellos lol, there is no reason to go Storm Drain shellos ever unless your meming or Cteaming someone.
Do you mean the Curse set that Shellos runs? it has no STAB whatsoever, can't hit Ghost types. Sticky Hold is for dealing with Trick / Switcheroo and Knock Off (there's also Corrosive Gas) useless if someone has Mold Breaker it can Knock Off Shellos Eviolite and that Pokemon is Pancham, althrough it occasionally never runs that ability.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Choice Scarf Frillish was approved already, as it is a viable enough alternative to the defensive set to merit a full set rather than an Other Options mention.

That said, a group of Pokemon which are immune to Water-type moves (a significant fraction of which are rarely seen and only have fringe viability if that) would not be a valid reason to deny something like Frillish a set. Some of these Pokemon may be relevant enough to include in the Checks and Counters section and could be brought up in the Scarf Frillish WIP thread, but "there are immunities to X-type" is not sufficient to say a set is bad, let alone that it does not deserve an analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)