Ledian Discussion: Buff/Rework

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, forgive me if this is not the best place for this topic, but I couldn't really find any page that seemed more appropriate.

Basically, I wanted to bring up and talk about an interesting idea about how to buff the Generation 2 Bug/Flying Type: Ledian. I wanted to share the idea and also see what others think about the idea, how this idea is handled and how that could impact other Pokemon (as well as if that's a good or bad thing), and I'm also kind of curious where Ledian might fall in the Smogon Metagame with this change. Let me jump right in...

This buff includes a 35 Point stat boost, a new ability (replacing all of Ledian's abilities), and a slight change to Ledian's move set. I'll explain my reasonings after.

Ledian
The Five Star Pokemon
Typing: Bug/Flying -> Bug/Flying (Normal Form) & Bug/Fairy (Starlight Form)
Abilities: Swarm / Early Bird / (Iron Fist) -> Five Stars

Stats: Normal Form - Starlight Form
HP: 55 -> 65 - 65
Atk: 35 -> 70 - 100
Def: 50 -> 60 - 70
SpA: 55 -> 35 - 25
SpD: 110 ->110 - 120
Spe: 85 -> 85 - 115
Total: 390 -> 425 - 495

Five Stars: Pokemon changes form when Moon and Star moves are used in combat. - In-Game Text
Detailed Description: Ledian Changes to Starlight Form when Moon and Star moves are used by any combat participant. Ledian does not retain the form after switch, and will return to Normal Form when switching back into combat.
Moves that Count as Moon and Star Moves:
Moonlight
Moonblast
Starlight Fists*NEW*

Move Set Changes:

Level Moves:
Level 1/8: Swift -> Quick Attack
Level 20: Silver Wind -> Moonlight
Level 38: Bug Buzz -> Lunge
Level 42: Air Slash -> Ice Punch
Level 42: None -> Thunder Punch
Level 47: Double-Edge -> Starlight Fists

TM Moves:
TM 22: Solar Beam
TM 52: Focus Blast
TM 83: Infestation

Egg Moves:
Bug Buzz -> First Impression
Psybeam -> Play Rough
Silver Wind -> Aromatherapy

Tutor:
Giga Drain -> Zen Headbutt
Snore -> Covet
Uproar -> After You

All other Moves are the same.

Starlight Fists
Fairy - Physical
90 Pow / 100 Acc
30% chance to boost Special Defense by 1 stage.
Accessible to: Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Mr. Mime, Ledyba, Ledian, Gothitia, Gothorita, Gothitelle (by Level) & Hitmonchan, Snubbull, Granbull, Skitty, Delcatty, Mawile, Minun, Volbeat, Bunneary, Lopunny, Mienfoo, and Mienshao (by Breeding)

Here's a sample set of a Late-Game Physical Sweeper Ledian:

Ledian w/Life Orb/Salac Berry
Adamant Nature
Five Stars
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Starlight Fists
- Lunge / Thunder Punch / Acrobatics
- Thunder Punch / Drain Punch / Moonlight / Acrobatics
- Swords Dance

Fairy/Electric is your best option for coverage with two moves if you're running Moonlight, however, Lunge is STAB and is a guarantee attack debuff which can be fantastic at patching up Ledian's mediocre defense stat. Starlight Fists/Lunge pairs well with Thunder Punch for Maximum coverage while Drain Punch gives you a way to do damage and heal. Additionally, Acrobatics can be considered as Stab Acrobatics in Normal Form after Salac Berry hits harder than Stab Starlight Fists or Lunge under Starlight Form and can give you some flexibility so you don't feel obligated to get yourself in Starlight Form if you have to switch out at some point.

So there's a lot going on here. Let me explain...

I went with the Fairy-Type in starlight form to compliment Leidan's Pokedex entries which all make a big deal about Ledian's connection to the stars and how they affect the spots on Ledian's body. It also connects to Ledian's species identification. Many propositions for Ledian evolutions and mega evolutions prioritized Bug/Fighting and further emphasized Ledian's punching theme. While I don't dislike this idea, I don't think it capitalizes on the core themes of Ledian's design--the very themes that I believe are the reason Ledian's major stat is Special Defense and is built as more of a Support Pokemon.

The idea behind Five Stars is that, when star and moon moves are used, Ledian's spots absorb the light and send fey energy coursing through Ledian's body. This strengthen's Ledian's combat skills and speed, as well as slightly Ledian's durability. Visually, Ledian's spots would change to stars and glow gold while a long cape of glittering gold stardust trickles under Ledian's wings. This would not only capture the Fairy-Like visuals, but also give Ledian another allusion to super heroes, since Ledian's design has an aesthetic similarity to Japanese Super Heroes like the Power Rangers.

I based Five Stars off of Darmanitan's Zen Mode. Zen Mode is unfortunately not well designed, but runs on the idea of empowering Darmanitan under strict conditions. Having to run off of 50% HP or less is inconvenient, but you're theoretically rewarded. Five Stars functions similarly. Ledian is directly and blatantly buffed when under its effects, but the transformation is reverted every time you switch out, meaning you always have to switch in as a slower Bug/Flying Type, making Stealth Rocks still a big issue, so the ability isn't just a cheap way of supercharging Ledian's stats. You do have to work with it and around it's shortcomings to make use of Ledian.

As for Ledian's moves, I replaced most of Ledian's Special Attacks or removed them all-together due to Ledian's buff in the physical department. I also threw in a couple additional support tools for good measure. This should allow Ledian to run offensive sets as well as support sets, and gives some flexibility for Ledian's team building. Starlight Fists was designed thematically for Ledian, but the game does still need more than 1 physical Fairy move, and so it would benefit a few other Pokemon as well: being more accurate than Play Rough while having a slightly more reliable effect.

Lastly, I want to talk about the plausibility of this change, because it currently seems like a far stretch to anything GameFreak would likely due.

The stat changes are completely doable, as GameFreak has become more and more open to blatantly buffing old Pokemon that are underperforming. This also applies to move set changes and ability changes as we've seen. The biggest thing that feels hard to swallow is creating a specific ability just for an old Pokemon like Ledian; however, I have some hope.

As GameFreak continues to pay more and more attention to balance, I'd like to believe they'll get more and more right. I also think with things like Mega Evolution in Generation 6, and Alola Forms in Generation 7, the developers have spent more time trying to breath some new life into older Pokemon and bring more attention to them. This has still be done on largely the casual level, but I would love to believe that the future Generation may consider throwing in some newer and cleaner bells and whistles for older Pokemon. I won't say it's a definite, and even if it does happen, it likely won't happen this way exactly, but I'd like to stay hopeful and keep an open mind that things are likely going to keep changing each generation.

With all that being said, what does everything think of this design? Do you like it? Is it too much?

I'd personally love to see some for-fun theorizing of where this would place Ledian in Smogon tiers if it actually happened. Would it rise out of ZU/PU? What would be a good team? Got any sets that you want to share?

And if there is a better place for this topic, please lemme know and I'll repost it there. Sorry thats the case.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah, Smogon isn't really a place for this kind of discussion. Maybe on the Discord, but this discussion is more than just changing around Ledian's stats & type as you gave it a new form and made-up Ability.

Just to give my quick few cents before this closes: all they need to do for the Ledyba family is make it into a Physical Cutiefly family copy. Mainly focusing on Ledian:

1. Make it Bug/Fighting
2. Make its stats 60/95/70/55/60/124
3. Give it a bunch of Fighting- and Punching-moves.

There, Ledian is now better.

Yeah, Smogon isn't really a place for this kind of discussion. Maybe on the Discord, but this discussion is more than just changing around Ledian's stats & type as you gave it a new form and made-up Ability.

Just to give my quick few cents before this closes: all they need to do for the Ledyba family is make it into a Physical Cutiefly family copy. Mainly focusing on Ledian:

1. Make it Bug/Fighting
2. Make its stats 60/95/70/55/60/124
3. Give it a bunch of Fighting- and Punching-moves.

There, Ledian is now better.
You don't even need step 3. It already gets gets a ton of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)