ORAS UU Let it Snow...UP? - Mega Abomasnow ORAS UU Trick Room

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

UU Trick Room
Hey, PDT here, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to my 2nd Rate My Team. This time I'm featuring a Trick Room team, which utilizes the move Trick Room to make slower Pokemon fast, allowing for the slowest, hardest hitting Pokemon to punch holes in the opposing team with raw power. I've done pretty extensive testing with this team, and the surprise factor is the team's greatest strength.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake​

A pretty standard Mixed Mega Abomasnow moveset, and the EV spread that minimizes Speed so that it out speeds almost anything under Trick Room. 56 SpA EVs guarantees an OHKO on a Physically Defensive Chesnaught and Physically Defensive Zapdos. Abomasnow's unique typing lets it Super Effectively hit pretty much anything that tries to wall this monster. Abomasnow checks Suicune, which is a really common threat, and can check Zapdos under Trick Room, but be careful of Heat Wave. Wood Hammer smacks most Bulky Waters which run rampant in UU right now. Because of this Pokemon's horrible defensive typing, it gets worn down very easily. However, because of the Lunar Dance and Healing Wish support that this team provides, it gives Mega Abomasnow two or three opportunities to come in and smack a few Pokemon, then get out.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance
- Moonblast
- Moonlight​

Arguably the best Trick Room setter in UU, with ridiculous BALK and Lunar Dance support, Cresselia is a vital asset to this team. With the comfort of Lunar Dance, the player doesn't have to play around burns, poison, or paralysis when wallbreaking, and can let themselves take damage until they are restored late in the game. I went Moonblast over Psyshock because Dark Types always come in to hit Cresselia super effectively, and I wanted to not be completely walled by them. Because of the 120/120/130 BALK, this Pokemon can pretty much never be OHKO'd by unboosted Pokemon. Mental Herb is to guarantee to get off a Trick Room, so that Pokemon can waste a turn by trying to Taunt Cresselia. This Pokemon is my main switch-in to many physical threats. EVs maximize the physical bulk, and 0 IVs in Speed and Attack make Cresselia faster under Trick Room and to take less damage from Foul Play.

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Moonblast
- Healing Wish
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room​
Gardevoir is my special wall and my second Healing Wish support. Will-O-Wisp is there to cripple physical attacks that try to switch in on Gardevoir, and it makes up for Gardevoir's poor physical bulk. Gardevoir sets up Trick Room on special attacks and grabs momentum for Healing Wish. The EVs maximize Special Bulk. Be careful to use Healing Wish because if you run out of Trick Room setters, it can be a big problem. The 0 IVs in Attack and Speed do the same as the reason above. Gardevoir switches in on things like Zapdos, Florges, and Dragon Attacks to absorb hits and then gain momentum with Healing Wish.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room​
Reuniclus is my main special wallbreaker under the Trick Room. With Base 30 Speed, Reuniclus can outspeed everything in UU under Trick Room barring Shuckle(pls). Reuniclus can easily beat Florges with Psyshock, so it's hard to wall this blob of greatness. Reuniclus absorbs status like Toxic and Will-O-Wisp because of Magic Guard. The set minimizes Foul Play damage and speed, and maximizes bulk and power. Reuniclus is my last Trick Room setter, using the Trick Room when you force a switch. The combination of Psyshock, Focus Blast, and Shadow Ball is hard to wall. This Pokemon is a great check to a lot of Fighting Pokemon which are in abundance in UU. If you predict right, you should be able to hit Dark Type Pokemon on the switch-in with Focus Blast.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance​
One of Crawdaunt's greatest disadvantages is how slow it is. However, under Trick Room, it becomes a monster that destroys everything. My secondary physical wallbreaker, this thing mauls everything that Abomasnow can't destroy. The set minimizes speed so that Crawdaunt can be as "fast" as possible under Trick Room. Crawdaunt 2HKOs almost every wall that doesn't resist it, and can play without the fear of being burned because of the Healing Wish support. Even without Trick Room, Crawdaunt is still a major threat that usually kills a Pokemon every time it switches in. Crawdaunt 2HKOs Suicune w/out the Scald burn, so it's usually a pretty decent check towards it. Crawdaunt checks a lot of Fire and Psychic Pokemon that Abomasnow has trouble dealing with, making it an ideal partner for Mega Abomasnow.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Roar
- Defog
- Roost​
This is a pretty standard Fatmence set, which checks Mega Beedrill and Heracross pretty easily, as well as providing Defog support. Hazards wear down this team relatively quickly. Checking Bug-Types is super important for this team because it is weak to bug. This set also checks things like Gyarados, where you can Roar and prevent the sweep. I didn't go for as slow as possible because I would rather not have to set up a Trick Room in order to just clear hazards. Roost provides longevity when stalling out Pokemon. The set is straight off of Smogon, so if you want to read more about then go check it out.
FatMence can also switch in on Pokemon like Sharpedo, absorbing the Crunch so that Cresselia doesn't have to take a huge amount of damage.

THREAT LIST
Ok, so this team doesn't have a lot of Pokemon that just absolutely 6-0 this entire team, because most offensive threats are just neutralized by Trick Room. But, here are the few things
Doublade: This thing can be a problem sometimes, because of the Ghost Priority that hits some things super effectively. It's also very slow, so it out speeds Crawdaunt under Trick Room. I can Knock Off it's Eviolite not under Trick Room, but doesn't OHKO it, and it KOs me back with Sacred Sword.
Taunters: These can be a bit of a problem, because they prevent anyone other than Cresselia from getting Trick Room up. However, Cresselia can only break through Taunters one time, so multiple Taunters can shut down this team.
Heracross + M-Beedrill: Without Trick Room these guys are annoying to deal with, but a combination of Priority from attackers can usually shut it down. If Trick Room is up then it's fine. NOTE: +2 Aqua Jet OHKOs M-Beedrill, so SD on the Protect.

So that wraps up the RMT! The sets shown above ARE importable, so just copy and paste them into Showdown. I hope you guys enjoyed this RMT, and any suggestions or helpful critique would be appreciated! Thanks for your time! Now you can't leave anymore >:)

Reactions: ehT

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there PinkDragonTamer I am happy that Trick Room is getting some love considering it is one of the more gimmicky "field effects" albeit the most viable of them.
  • First off, since Taunt is a major issue to any Trick Room team (and you stated that in your threatlist), I would highly recommend putting Aromatisse > Gardevoir as Aromatisse guarantees Trick Room, which allows this team to thrive to its fullest extent. Gardevoir isn't really missed as Trick Room teams should be all about hitting as hard as possible with no worries of tanking hits (except for the dedicated setters).
  • Next up, I feel like Lunar Dance Cresselia is really good for a Trick Room, but power is more important which means I would want to keep Reuniclus and 2 Psychic-types on a team means you are left automatically pressured by opposing Dark-types such as Krookodile. For this reason, I suggest running Sableye > Cresselia as this gives you a solid annoyer outside of Trick Room as well as a way to cripple Doublade by removing its Eviolite and being able to burn it. It can also help with Mega Beedrill and opposing Taunters thanks to its Prankster Will-O-Wisp and Taunt respectively. While it doesn't necessarily help you in the power department, it provides much more utility than Cresselia and can take care of your threatlist.
  • Another option that isn't completely necessary is Dragalge > Salamence. While you do lose the ability to Defog, you gain a grounded Poison-type which can absorb Toxic Spikes, which is the bane of any good Trick Room teams. Dragalge is able to retain the ability to phaze with Dragon Tail and can help Trick Room further pressure the opponent with Toxic Spikes support as you lack any entry hazards at the moment and this team forces a lot of switches thanks to the potential power it has. Dragalge can also function a lot better than Salamence under Trick Room as it has a low base Speed stat so even when invested in Speed to outpace Relaxed Pert (i.e. so it doesn't get hit with an Earthquake) it is still slow enough to function.
Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Dragalge @ Draco Plate / Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic Spikes

Good looking team and I hope I helped! n_n

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
soup.

wouldn't replace cress. it's a p reliable tr setter and lunar dance is gr8.
  • every team needs stealth rocks pls. run diancie > garadevoir to accomplish this. gives you the ever so important dark resist, while maintaining a TR setter and most importantly, provides you with stealth rocks. the set would go a little something like stealth rock / trick room / moonblast diamond storm. the ev distribution should be 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA. you can run either a quiet nature to boost the power of moonblast or a brave nature to boost the power of diamond storm. the nature option is up to you. the item of choice would be life orb as it allows dance to hit as hard as possible in trick room. getting off chip damage in the form of stealth rocks is incredibly important for your two breakers, securing kills such as beedrill after rocks with crawdaunt's aqua jet.

• seconding NV's suggestion of changing Salamence to Dragalge, though I would only consider using Draco Plate. wouldn't run dragon tail either, when it comes to trick room you'd rather just smash shit as fast and as much as possible so you don't waste trick room turns. so instead of dragon tail i'd use focus blast. the best part about dragalge is that with toxic spikes, your match up against stall improves, a play style that's arguably the biggest "fuck you" to trick room teams. if you're worried about hazard removal you really need not be because the offensive pressure you exert from your own hazards should be enough to force a defog most of the time.

• i'd consider changing Crawdaunts EVs to max speed. the primary reason for this would be to outspeed most of the pokemon you see on stall teams such as tangrowth, alom etc. being unnecessarily slower than them isn't really productive especially when there isn't a need to be. having pokemon to outspeed them outside of TR is p nice cuz then you aren't reliant on TR being up to be remotely effective against stall. this wouldn't really impact it's capabilities under trick room vs offence because crawdaunt is slow as fuck, even with max speed.
**you can try earth power on diancie to lure doublade. in that case replace diamond storm and transfer the attack evs to hp.

all i have to say really. hope this helped.

edit:
Thanks, both of you, for reading this RMT. I'll probably replace Gardevoir with Diancie, but I don't know that any other changes you guys suggest appealed to me. Crawdaunt's Max Health is actually very useful, because the longevity of Crawdaunt improves immensely. This team's matchup against stall would be helped with maybe Heal Bell on Diancie? This team actually smashes the Alo-Bliss stall core because M-Abomasnow can bop any of the Pokemon there, and Heal Bell would provide a reason not to play around Sab. I really want to keep Salamence>Dragagle because Dtealth Rocks ruins this team. Thanks for the rate!
k so if you ever see this thread again.. even with max health crawdaunt's bulk is dogshit. heal bell isn't going to be useful you'd limit your attacking turns in tr. this isn't good for an offensive mon. dragalge is the better option but again it's up to you eventually.

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Thanks, both of you, for reading this RMT. I'll probably replace Gardevoir with Diancie, but I don't know that any other changes you guys suggest appealed to me. Crawdaunt's Max Health is actually very useful, because the longevity of Crawdaunt improves immensely. This team's matchup against stall would be helped with maybe Heal Bell on Diancie? This team actually smashes the Alo-Bliss stall core because M-Abomasnow can bop any of the Pokemon there, and Heal Bell would provide a reason not to play around Sab. I really want to keep Salamence>Dragagle because Dtealth Rocks ruins this team. Thanks for the rate!

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey dude nice TR team, just one change though as this a more offensive team, I think your team would appreciate a more specially offensive defog sala as this would eliminate your doublade problem
Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost/ Iron Tail
Roost is good for self healing and Iron tail with naive nature lures in florges once it has seen you are special.

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Ohhh, that's a nice option darksylvion, I'll definitely have to test that out. I'll actually probably got for 248 HP/252 SpA/8 Def thought because that hits a Stealth Rock number. Do you think Life Orb is need on this set? I might want Lefties.

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Bump, I really wanted to test this team a bit more. I ended up going Diancie>Gardevoir

Hello. I know this is a big bump but I have a suggestion. I noticed your team has no real way of dealing with bulky fairies or setting up Stealth Rock. So I propose to you:

Bronzong > Cresselia

Bronzong @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball

This is a Bronzong set I've been using on a Trick Room team of my own, and it's stellar. Usually this Pokemon can set up Trick Room, set up rocks, and then do whatever. Gyro Ball + Life Orb is enough to pretty much kill anything that isn't defensive or doesn't resist it, slow fairies included. Explosion + Life Orb is one of the hardest hitting things in the game. If you prefer longevity and resistance to Taunt, you can replace the Life Orb with Mental Herb. However, exploding right after setting up Trick Room can give you needed momentum.

Cresselia has its perks, but dual Fairy coverage on your team is rather redundant when you have no Steel coverage, and no Stealth Rocks is crippling for a TR team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)