Serious LGBTQ+

in the previous lgbt thread i made a post coming out as a trans girl. since then, ive thought about it a lot and experimented a lot with my gender expression, and i've come to know myself a lot better. while the idea of being exclusively a man/masculine for my whole life was and still is horrifying to me, so too is the idea of forever being a girl. in that post a few months ago, i wrote:
Here's the thing: I don't really experience any strong sense of dysphoria. I don't feel uncomfortable in my body. I'd really like to be a girl, and if I could choose to be born a girl I'd do it, but I'm not really unhappy living and presenting as a man. The idea of transitioning is honestly really scary to me and I'm not sure if that's something that I want to do.
and i still feel this. what i've realised is that the feelings that ive been feeling are 'i don't want to always be a man', not 'i want to be a girl'. i don't want to give up masculinity entirely.

i've seen labels like 'bigender' and 'genderfluid' that could probably be reasonably applied to me, but i prefer not to identify with them for various reasons. i prefer to use the more general term 'non-binary' to describe myself, and i have no particular preference in terms of pronouns. he/she/they, i'm not really bothered too much about it. i'm still trying to learn about myself, but for now this is how i'm most comfortable identifying. rn i'm trying to build up the confidence to present a bit more feminine in public :0

thanks for supporting me yall, happy pride month!

ps: i still rly like the name phoebe

cookie

Firebot Development Vlad
is a Forum Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hope this fits here:

why was gender dysphoria reclassified to be no longer a mental illness? and how does one explain the incredibly high suicide rate of the trans community? i feel like putting it all down to society not accepting them as much as other groups isn't a good enough explanation, considering high it really is - 45%.
I undeleted this post because I read it and it got me interested enough to read up about this.

The WHO reclassified gender dysphoria as a sexual illness, rather than a mental one. What this means is that the emphasis on what is broken has shifted from the mind to the body. If your goal as a health organisation is to keep people as healthy as possible, this shift makes sense because it's easier to resolve the inconsistency between mind/body by lopping off some tits and or sew on a dick (or even deal with the chemical changes of hormone therapy) than to successfully change someone's mind with drugs/therapy.

vonFiedler

Ridley is in Smash
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I undeleted this post because I read it and it got me interested enough to read up about this.

The WHO reclassified gender dysphoria as a sexual illness, rather than a mental one. What this means is that the emphasis on what is broken has shifted from the mind to the body. If your goal as a health organisation is to keep people as healthy as possible, this shift makes sense because it's easier to resolve the inconsistency between mind/body by lopping off some tits and or sew on a dick (or even deal with the chemical changes of hormone therapy) than to successfully change someone's mind with drugs/therapy.
I think these are fine and educational points, but really the biggest problem with that original post is the transphobic language, and seemingly, intent behind it. "They must be mentally ill, they kill themselves."

I don't want to step on your toes in public, but if I didn't put it nicely, someone else would have put it much more severely (and already has).

I think these are fine and educational points, but really the biggest problem with that original post is the transphobic language, and seemingly, intent behind it. "They must be mentally ill, they kill themselves."

I don't want to step on your toes in public, but if I didn't put it nicely, someone else would have put it much more severely (and already has).
yeah looking back on it it was a bit of a loaded question - i apologise, my views have shifted now. i am genuinely curious why the suicide rate is so high though

Because society shits on trans people so fucking much. Society is fucking hostile to trans people, and if you were to keep getting battered over and over by that hostility (doesn'tneed to be physical, but can often be that as well), suicide is gonna become a pretty tempting way to just fullyl escape from having to endure any more pain

Because society shits on trans people so fucking much. Society is fucking hostile to trans people, and if you were to keep getting battered over and over by that hostility (doesn'tneed to be physical, but can often be that as well), suicide is gonna become a pretty tempting way to just fullyl escape from having to endure any more pain
yeah but like isn't it higher than any other group in history? like they get a lot of shit but im not sure if that explains all of it. also like isn't there some ambiguity to whether bullying actually raises suicide rates by a large margin?
ill do some more research in my own time, but i feel this is probably gonna clog up the thread if it goes on any longer

OK a big thing that needs to be understood about any DSM diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria is that its inclusion in the manual is pretty necessary for insurance purposes. It's not exactly enough to tell your insurance company "I'd like to make a series of personal changes to sort out life-long physical incongruences with my gender!!" - Insurance companies need a "name", a diagnosis of what they're to throw money at.

Another popular misunderstanding is that transgenderism (RE:Gender Dysphoria) is a mental illness; the DSM labels the 'distress' aspect of gender dysphoria as the mental illness, not the innate identity and experience of being transgender. That's a major nuance that's lost unfortunately on most of the public, thanks to (imo) right-leaning YouTube and TV pundits looking to make crowd-pleasing cheap shots rather than seriously coming to understand a complex sensitive topic.

yeah but like isn't it higher than any other group in history? like they get a lot of shit but im not sure if that explains all of it. also like isn't there some ambiguity to whether bullying actually raises suicide rates by a large margin?
ill do some more research in my own time, but i feel this is probably gonna clog up the thread if it goes on any longer
You would really be wasting your time if you really try to look for a.... 'digestible' answer to that... especially due to antiquated anti-trans propaganda still much-circulated around related to trans suicide/rates. If you really want to research, learn about LGBT+ youth homelessness, the struggles and life experiences of trans (or just lgbt) individuals. You simply can't understand a people by trying to understand their math; look into their lives and your understanding will transform into something more profound than statisticians' meager ruminations.

I fucking love your siggy LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)