Metagame LGPE OverUsed

haven't done much looking/testing but how pervasive is substitute and how this effects the viability of venomoth being the only user of bug buzz I feel like that would carve out an interesting niche for it.

haven't done much looking/testing but how pervasive is substitute and how this effects the viability of venomoth being the only user of bug buzz I feel like that would carve out an interesting niche for it.
Venomoth is already a really good Pokémon in the tier if you take a look in the VR. It’s placed in the lower A Rankings currently because it is the only viable and very solid Quiver Dance sweeper. Also Substitute works the same in LGPE as it does in the main game.

Hope this helps you out :)

Edit:
I'm thinking of putting Poliwrath on my team. I'm unsure whether I should go with a Relaxed or Adamant nature. Any insights? Thanks in advance!
To you, Poliwrath uses Adamant as its nature. This is mainly to give you a favorable chance to OHKO Cloyster after Stealth Rock damage.

Poliwrath Superpower vs. Cloyster: 86-104 (68.8 - 83.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I'm thinking of putting Poliwrath on my team. I'm unsure whether I should go with a Relaxed or Adamant nature. Any insights? Thanks in advance!

https://pokepast.es/5a8564c29ca73b2e

Team for random wi-fi battles.
This team is suck? Tell please me what to change for this team?
you shall use mega mewtwo its that good
i'd say X over y for sweeping teams but you have timid so idk
Dragon Tail on Rhydon is better to prevent psychics from settnig up but Mhorn works on Zam
you might want TWave on Melmetal to help with mirrors and to cripple much of the tie reven if you don't outspeed

Venomoth is already a really good Pokémon in the tier if you take a look in the VR. It’s placed in the lower A Rankings currently because it is the only viable and very solid Quiver Dance sweeper. Also Substitute works the same in LGPE as it does in the main game.

Hope this helps you out :)
I really tried to make Venomoth work, and I really wanted it to work too, but it has such an unfortunate speed tier. In a tier where Mega Aero and Mega Zam are damn near everywhere, it has a hard time finding the chance to set up twice (which needs to happen so long as your opponent realizes Mega Aero/Zam outspeed and keep it alive to check Venomoth). I compare it to USUM Volcarona (but slightly worse because of the lack of hazard removal) in that I can be fierce to face when it sets up, but it requires so much support to do so, and two of the most common 'mons in the tier outspeed if you only get the +1.

It can come down to mind games with sleep powder and them switching, but that goes both ways

Perhaps it's just me and not having a complete grasp on the LGPE meta, but it barely ever did what it was supposed to.

I've since switched it out with Cloyster, and although I'm not the most fond of our Oyster friend, at least it's done something.

Last edited:
can someone help me out find something for my last slot?

its a rather casual team and i know Zapdos is basicly what i need but im tired of having it on all of my teams lol.

Tried Evee and its good but doesnt fix my Gorund vulnerabilities.

So is there anything else i could run in that slot that can take an EQ and be useful or am i forced to run Zapdos again?

https://pokepast.es/a1c7f015238593e0

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
can someone help me out find something for my last slot?

its a rather casual team and i know Zapdos is basicly what i need but im tired of having it on all of my teams lol.

Tried Evee and its good but doesnt fix my Gorund vulnerabilities.

So is there anything else i could run in that slot that can take an EQ and be useful or am i forced to run Zapdos again?

https://pokepast.es/a1c7f015238593e0
I'll try and analyse this without suggesting Zapdos. It's still pretty tempting though.
Outrage isn't a good coverage option for Arcanine as it only covers Dragons and leaves Arcanine vulnerable to being KO'd while locked in. I'd change Outrage to Play Rough, which provides the same coverage but better (notably has the bonus of hitting Mega Gyarados supereffective). This will help you become less exploitable by Ground types as you can burn them instead of being locked in, making it easier for the rest of your team.

An interesting option could be to switch Mega Gyara for Mega Slowbro and then find a replacement for Starmie, as Mega Slowbro is a great response to almost any relevant EQ user, but that would change your team quite significantly. Worth considering though.

However, you do have relatively decent answers to most Earthquake users already. All three of Gyarados, Venusaur and Starmie can tank an Earthquake and threaten OHKOs on Rhydon, Gyarados and Starmie can deal with the Nidos and Melmetal's a pain to deal with for most teams regardless.

The main threat I see is Mega Aerodactyl, which can be solved by swapping Starmie for Mew. Mew's better natural bulk and lack of typing overlap with Mega Gyarados patches up some vulnerabilities while also providing enough bulk to take on Aero. It also provides you with a setup sweeper which gives your team appreciated pressure. A Timid Nasty Plot Roost set seems sensible; Thunderbolt + Ice Beam provides great supereffective and neutral coverage all round, but if you want a bit more pressure versus Melmetal then you could try Flamethrower + Dragon Pulse (this combo has no resistances at all, but doesn't get as many supereffective hits; Psychic has STAB over Dragon Pulse but leaves you absolutely helpless versus Slowbro and Gyarados).

At this point your team doesn't have many significant weaknesses, and you have at least 1 good response to most meta threats. A lot of the ones you might struggle more with at this point are specially based however, so Chansey is a decent option for the last slot. It also provides you with a pivot thanks to Teleport. Seismic Toss + Toxic + Soft-Boiled + Teleport is probably the best option here with a Calm Nature. With the first two moves Chansey can easily 1v1 setup threats like Mega Alakazam and Nasty Plot Mew, as well as being a decent measure for Starmie and Mega Blastoise. If you think the opponent will switch something in to take advantage of Chansey, click Teleport and switch out to the best response.

Hopefully this helped!

Last edited:
I'll try and analyse this without suggesting Zapdos. It's still pretty tempting though.
Outrage isn't a good coverage option for Arcanine as it only covers Dragons and leaves Arcanine vulnerable to being KO'd while locked in. I'd change Outrage to Play Rough, which provides the same coverage but better (notably has the bonus of hitting Mega Gyarados supereffective). This will help you become less exploitable by Ground types as you can burn them instead of being locked in, making it easier for the rest of your team.

An interesting option could be to switch Mega Gyara for Mega Slowbro and then find a replacement for Starmie, as Mega Slowbro is a great response to almost any relevant EQ user, but that would change your team quite significantly. Worth considering though.

However, you do have relatively decent answers to most Earthquake users already. All three of Gyarados, Venusaur and Starmie can tank an Earthquake and threaten OHKOs on Rhydon, Gyarados and Starmie can deal with the Nidos and Melmetal's a pain to deal with for most teams regardless.

The main threat I see is Mega Aerodactyl, which can be solved by swapping Starmie for Mew. Mew's better natural bulk and lack of typing overlap with Mega Gyarados patches up some vulnerabilities while also providing enough bulk to take on Aero. It also provides you with a setup sweeper which gives your team appreciated pressure. A Timid Nasty Plot Roost set seems sensible; Thunderbolt + Ice Beam provides great supereffective and neutral coverage all round, but if you want a bit more pressure versus Melmetal then you could try Flamethrower + Dragon Pulse (this combo has no resistances at all, but doesn't get as many supereffective hits; Psychic has STAB over Dragon Pulse but leaves you absolutely helpless versus Slowbro and Gyarados).

At this point your team doesn't have many significant weaknesses, and you have at least 1 good response to most meta threats. A lot of the ones you might struggle more with at this point are specially based however, so Chansey is a decent option for the last slot. It also provides you with a pivot thanks to Teleport. Seismic Toss + Toxic + Soft-Boiled + Teleport is probably the best option here with a Calm Nature. With the first two moves Chansey can easily 1v1 setup threats like Mega Alakazam and Nasty Plot Mew, as well as being a decent measure for Starmie and Mega Blastoise. If you think the opponent will switch something in to take advantage of Chansey, click Teleport and switch out to the best response.

Hopefully this helped!
Hey thanks ill play around with these suggestions for a bit but still seems like Zapdos is still the easiest solution to everything = /

Might also try some different combinations on Evee as i got status covered allready.

And What about Swapping Starmie into a more Support oriented set with Twave/Scald/Tbolt or Icebeam/Recover and give the last slot Alakazam? Mew most likely does that better than him but having the option of chosing my mega based on the enemy team could be useful and if i go mzam i would have normal gyarados aroud for predictable EQs and Zam is still decent without his mega form as well.

I really tried to make Venomoth work, and I really wanted it to work too, but it has such an unfortunate speed tier. In a tier where Mega Aero and Mega Zam are damn near everywhere, it has a hard time finding the chance to set up twice (which needs to happen so long as your opponent realizes Mega Aero/Zam outspeed and keep it alive to check Venomoth). I compare it to USUM Volcarona (but slightly worse because of the lack of hazard removal) in that I can be fierce to face when it sets up, but it requires so much support to do so, and two of the most common 'mons in the tier outspeed if you only get the +1.

It can come down to mind games with sleep powder and them switching, but that goes both ways

Perhaps it's just me and not having a complete grasp on the LGPE meta, but it barely ever did what it was supposed to.

I've since switched it out with Cloyster, and although I'm not the most fond of our Oyster friend, at least it's done something.
Ill have to look at it more it does as you say run into a problem with speed as even though it outspeeds all but 3 pokemon at +1 however thoes 3 pokemons present a significant threat to it. I was looking at it more as a way to prevent sub shenanigans considering the lack of moves to deal with them now

Looking to input my new snorlax into my team. Any ideas on the best set. Could someone also explain why you would ever want Rest on a poke' if you dont have cleric eevee to wake them up later?

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Looking to input my new snorlax into my team. Any ideas on the best set. Could someone also explain why you would ever want Rest on a poke' if you dont have cleric eevee to wake them up later?
Snorlax's best set really depends on the team it's being used on, but Facade Earthquake Toxic Rest is a fairly splashable set for it regardless.
For the other question, some Pokémon are bulky enough to switch in on specific mons several times throughout the battle and burn sleep turns. For example, Poliwrath can repeatedly switch in on Cloyster several times over and clear its sleep.
EDIT: Also bulky sweepers like Mega Bro depend on Rest

Call me crazy, but Jolly nature allows you to outspeed Adamant Melmetal by 1 point. This allows you to use Snorlax to confidently take out a weakened Melmetal, and you also don't have to mess with the flinches from Double Iron Bash, giving you 2 earthquakes to weaken Melmetal instead of just 1 that you have to fight through flinches for.

I'm currently running:

Snorlax (M)
Ability: Immunity
Level: 50
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Self-Destruct
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Ice Punch is for the off chance Snorlax has to fight Aerodactyl or Dragonite. The rest is pretty standard. I'm sure there are better sets out there though, but I have been liking the Jolly nature. I dunno if there are any significant benchmarks the other natures really grab for you either.

Reactions: Eve
Hi guys! Want to really try to build a team around Mega-Charizard X. Idea is to have him as a Mixed Attacker since both Attack and Special Attack are tied at 130.

Mixed Attacker (Charizard-Mega X) @ Charizardite X
Level: 50
Naive Nature
- Flamethrower
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost / Will-O-Wisp

Thoughts? First time posting, thanks in advance!

Both have a variety of sets:
MMX BU: Bulk Up / Recover / Rock Slide / Earthquake, +Brick Break/Facade/Taunt
MMY CM: Calm Mind / Psychic / Dazzling Gleam / recover, +Fire Blast/BoltBeam/Shadow Ball/Taunt/Earthquake
MMY Anti: Will-O-Wisp/Psychic/Taunt/Recover, +Shadow Ball
Mewtwo does not get Dazzling Gleam.

I'm about to verse a friend (Mew and Mewtwo banned, one legendary limit) and he stupidly gave me his team. Does anybody have any team suggestions to destroy it?

His:
Nidoking
Arcanine
M-Gyrados
Snorlax
Chansey
Dragonite

I have been tossing up a lot of things, but due to one legendary limit, can't have Zapdos AND Melmetal

Is this close to being on track? :
Poliwrath/Cloyster/Starmie
M-Alakazam
Melmetal
Eevee
Muk Alola
Rhydon/Chansey (rocks)

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Honestly, can Zapdos even be considered truly "legendary" now that you can chain it (and the other birds) in the wild? Those rules are pretty arbitrary.

Honestly, can Zapdos even be considered truly "legendary" now that you can chain it (and the other birds) in the wild? Those rules are pretty arbitrary.
I agree, unfortunately that's what the rule is. Having said that, I actually think it opens up the game a lot more, is a restriction that forces creativity and makes me a bit more excited about this Meta - not the Zapdos legendary/non-legendary thing, but just the 'one legendary rule'. I could fight the point with my friend but honestly, would rather win with other Pokemon and it would provide an excuse for him If I beat him to be like 'ughh two legendaries blah blah'

Any team suggestions?

Last edited:
Ill have to look at it more it does as you say run into a problem with speed as even though it outspeeds all but 3 pokemon at +1 however thoes 3 pokemons present a significant threat to it. I was looking at it more as a way to prevent sub shenanigans considering the lack of moves to deal with them now
Lol, yea sorry, I used your post as more of a Segway in to give my thoughts on Venomoth as a whole. My bad.

But as far as bug buzz goes, it certainly was cool to be able to hit the Eevee or whatever it was that was behind a substitute. However, I didn't run into too many Sub users, so I'm not too keen on how it fares in the grand scheme.

Eve

taking a break
Community Leader
https://pokepast.es/ca63915663e86c0a

This is my team for SD , i wan't to change Dragonite cause he isnt usefull as i expect , any idéas and advices on this team ?
I'd recommend getting a Stealth Rocks setter on the team in place of Dragonite if you want to replace it, possibly Rhydon or Nidoqueen. This frees up your defensive Mew, which can instead run Roost so it can actually stay around. Other than that your team seems good enough.

Edit: also iirc psychic or dragon pulse instead of Surf on Mew would provide more damage / better coverage

Mega Pidgeot Team

What do you think of this team? Any comments / suggestions?

I know Mega Pidgeot is garbage, but I've used it maybe once in ORAS and that's about it. I fancy making a team full of pokes I rarely / never use, so it seems like an ideal candidate as it is probably the Mega Evolution I have used the least (well bar one other for a pokemon I dislike).

I have other more competitive teams and this one is largely for fun, but I'd still like to get the most out of it where possible. Since the pokes are ones I don't really use, some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nidoking seems to be more common and I have used a king before. I don't think I've even thought about Nidoqueen before.

So Surf could be good as an option. Maybe to replace rock slide? Or maybe body slam. I'm going for a lot of paralysis, so perhaps body slam might not be necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)