Mimikyu @ Red Card
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Shadow Sneak

Outside of copy cat teams I been using this team since day 1. For the expectation of someone giving me the mimikyu red card idea. I thought of using zygarde to limit switches in with thousand arrow / EQ link. Since bugs/grass aren't common in this meta with zygarde stamping out all immunities and hitting with a even harder 100 bp move. I forgot to include it's earth plate getting that 1.2 boost without losing health like L.O. even ferrorthron can't switch in on zygarde. As well you don't take iron barbs/Rocky helmet/rough skin dmg since they are both non contact moves.

Last edited:
Actually I wanna ask about it. No, I'm not asking to ban jirachi, but why does Paralyzed status is check with each move (meaning you can use one move in a link but 2nd move being paralyzed in a turn) while once you got Flinched, you're guaranteed to be flinched both? Is this supposed to be like this?

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I just want to point out something that is really, inherently stupid to fight.

Jirachi @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
Thunder Wave Jirachi plus two linked moves with a 60% chance to flinch each insures that you're never beating this thing unless you outspeed it. Please consider handling this thing :(
Gotta be honest, the only Jirachi set I've personally been seeing is TR+pivot. I can see how this would be annoying though.

Ingame, instructing a Slaking that has just used a move will burn a Truant turn. So in Linked, Truant should also be move-based rather than turn-based. Same thing with Sleeep turns I guess?
Actually I wanna ask about it. No, I'm not asking to ban jirachi, but why does Paralyzed status is check with each move (meaning you can use one move in a link but 2nd move being paralyzed in a turn) while once you got Flinched, you're guaranteed to be flinched both? Is this supposed to be like this?
Both of these were largely grandfathered in from the gen6 code as far as I can tell. Adjusting Slaking's Truant mechanic seems pretty low priority compared to some of the major bugs at the moment like Prankster being overcorrected. Paralysis, confusion, etc. admittedly make more sense blocking on a per-turn basis (as with flinch), but that would also require some major restructuring I imagine.

Ivy

resident enigma
Kommo-o @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
I like this, but isn't it a tad counterproductive to be using Clanging Scales on a fully Defense invested Kommo-o?

psychic terrain interactions are very odd. For example, gale wings talonflame has priority but isn't blocked by the terrain, while fake out at regular priority (fake out + uturn) gets blocked by the terrain. Neither of these should be the case, if I'm understanding the meta correctly.

Regardless I am really enjoying it.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
This meta has been... fairly good fun! Took a bit of adjusting to, and yah there's a few bugs (Understandably so :P), but being able to play with the variety of toys available has been fun.

I think one of the mons which has managed to surprise me as I've been just casually playing has been Assault Vest Nihilego. It can be run both at Speed Boosting (Timid / 176 SPA / 252 Spe / Put the remaining 80 as you see fit) or SpA Building (I think this one tends to do better), and it can easily switch into a variety of threats like Volcarona, and even tank out a Greninja. Combine that with the breaking potential of Acid Spray + Sludge Wave, and Nihilego can make substantial impacts across an opponent's team.

Nihilego @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Acid Spray
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Power Gem
- Knock Off / Power Gem
Also, agreed with Cloud9 that Jirachi is a #$@&%*! to deal with (Although it's not particularly fast at least... unless you let someone get webs up first ^^;)

Triage is an absolutely bonkers ability, but Comfey has always lacked the power output to be used in higher tiers. But now... well, it's still not a particularly powerful mon. But it's a bona fide revenge killer nonetheless!

Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss
- Defog / Filler
- Taunt / Filler

This was a lot better before the Unburden+Swift Swim quickbans, but I do think its matchup vs. several threatening sweepers means it deserves a mention. Specifically, its ability to hit Dark-types with its priority makes it worth using over Whimsicott, which can't. It also out-prioritizes the entire meta, so opposing priority users aren't an issue either. As the calcs will show below, it really appreciates hazard support (especially Spikes) to land its KOs, and as common sense will show, it doesn't perform well vs. Steel- and Fire-types.

Notable targets include: Mega Diancie (almost guaranteed OHKO), Ash Greninja (Guaranteed OHKO), Mega Gyarados (82.3-99%), Mega Lopunny (almost guaranteed OHKO), Mega Tyranitar (58.6-69.4% in sand, 86.2-102% out of sand), Tapu Koko (76.4%-91.8%), Zygarde (75.1-89.2%), Azumarill (76.1%-90.4%), Crawdaunt (OHKO), Hydreigon (OHKO), Kommo-O (OHKO), Manaphy (75.9%-89.7%), Mienshao (OHKO), Weavile (OHKO), and Cloyster (OHKO).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-728553934 Here's a replay of it keeping opposing Aurora Veil and hazards off the field, revenge killing Hawlucha (pretend it was like Mega Lop or something), and forcing Ash-Greninja out.

While I'm here, https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-728268476 Turn 13 has Thundurus's Volt Switch negated by Tyranitar's Dark typing and Thundurus's Prankster, despite Volt Switch not being boosted by Prankster.

Last edited:
I came up with a pretty cool Porygon-Z set. I cleaned up a couple of the games I used it in, but I don't have any replays.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Spe / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Conversion
- Ice Beam

Z-conversion boosts stats, grants immunity to t-wave (this happened against a slower Jirachi once), and allows Porygon to hit like a truck. Ice beam gives BoltBeam coverage hitting grounds, dragons, and grass that resist the electric nuke.
One of the partners I was using was a screener tapu koko, which helped it set up safely and gave the stab moves another boost.
Still gets walled by things like unaware quag though
All calcs done under Electric Terrain with thunderbolt adjusted to 170 bp
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 270-318 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega: 244-288 (71.5 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (in sand)
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 728-860 (190.5 - 225.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. +1 152 HP / 8 SpD Hawlucha in Electric Terrain: 822-968 (245.3 - 288.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 632-744 (150.4 - 177.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny-Mega in Electric Terrain: 441-519 (162.7 - 191.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 316-372 (103.6 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Clefable in Electric Terrain: 209-246 (53 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone in Electric Terrain: 233-275 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another set that might work is a psychic-psyshock set with signal beam to hit darks and screener tapu lele

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivy
I have some trick room sets for Mawile and Alolan Marowak. Most people probably already know about these sets, but I'm going to put them in here and spread the awareness.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

This Mawile set is, in my opinion, absolutely necessary if you're making a trick room team. Swords dance play rough can KO a ton of mons, it just hits like a truck. Iron head is there for the secondary STAB, and it can ohko Clefable without any defensive boosting, making it easier to sweep if the opponent has one. Sucker punch at +3 or +4 is good priority that can take out many pokemon, including some of the more prominent pokemon that resist it like Greninja, Sharpedo, and Tapu Koko. With sucker punch you can continue sweeping even after trick room runs out.

and

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang

This set is very similiar to the Mawile one above. You have rock head flare blitz for that 120 bp STAB goodness. Shadow bone is there for the STAB, but you'll most often be using flare blitz. Bonemerang is quite useful, as it's great for anything that might have a sash. Overall I'd say that Mawile is a bit better, but Marowak is also very good. Fire coverage is great to have on a team, and you could try a lightning rod set instead for more out of trick room uses.

I like this, but isn't it a tad counterproductive to be using Clanging Scales on a fully Defense invested Kommo-o?
Honestly I don't know what I was thinking when I put C.scales but from what I seen it works pretty well. You can even switch it to roar to counter tricktoom setters that don't have a s.e move against you.

Ivy

resident enigma
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-728703429
In this replay, the speed control mechanic is totally corrupted.
In turn 2, the zygarde used extreme speed after koko's dual screen.
In turn 5, greninja is faster than +1speed kartana.
Yeah this was a weird temporary issue, and it happened during the roomtour in Tournaments lol.

Speaking of bugs, Prankster with respect to Dark-types and Pursuit should be working as intended now! However, Psychic Terrain will currently NOT shield you against linked Prankster moves, so be careful. This is a known bug and still being worked on so try not to bother the coders.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
level 8????? (Shuckle) @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 8
EVs: 236 Def / 236 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Protect
- Toxic

This shuckle set is actually legit. I added protect to beat fake out and red card is just insane with sturdy. Just be careful with ash gren water shuriken. But of course now i realized that red card > berry juice so i changed it from level 8 to level 100. still, dual hazards is great.

also yes flinch really needs to be banned as the above users said. Red card deserves a suspect imo. It's very powerful but idk if its broken per se

Last edited:
So I've been playing a bunch of matches lately, and I would highly suggest considering suspecting Zygarde. In my opinion, Zygarde is incredibly uncompetitive and annoying to fight against. It can just be thrown into almost any team to immediately make it better. Once it gets two dragon dances off, you're pretty much done for no matter what, especially thanks to the fact that it gets an move unable to be resisted and strong priority in extreme speed. The strategy for it is to just spam dragon dance + thousand arrows and extreme speed anything that might KO it with priority, not that much priority can even take it out due to it's amazing natural bulk. I realize that this meta released just a few days ago, but I believe that linked would be much more enjoyable and competitive if Zygarde wasn't in it.

So I've been playing a bunch of matches lately, and I would highly suggest considering suspecting Zygarde. In my opinion, Zygarde is incredibly uncompetitive and annoying to fight against. It can just be thrown into almost any team to immediately make it better. Once it gets two dragon dances off, you're pretty much done for no matter what, especially thanks to the fact that it gets an move unable to be resisted and strong priority in extreme speed. The strategy for it is to just spam dragon dance + thousand arrows and extreme speed anything that might KO it with priority, not that much priority can even take it out due to it's amazing natural bulk. I realize that this meta released just a few days ago, but I believe that linked would be much more enjoyable and competitive if Zygarde wasn't in it.
Just saying but Thousand Arrows+Thousand Waves is better because you 2HKO Unawares and everything else even without boosts and can use the trapping effect to setup easier.

Ppl have trouble with zygarde? Sure, it hits everything but +1 Thousand Arrows isn't strong enough to 1HKO things. I ususlly beat it by Trick Room + U-turn into dual attackers but if you don't use u-turn, a strong Special Attacker like Manaphy should be enough. That or carry phazers (srsly, whirlwind/roar + u-turn/volt switch is annoying to deal with).

Probably because I use trick room but my trick room team almost never had troubles facing it because nearly everything in trick room just... overpowers it.

Fake turn is just... I facepalmed when I faced it to the point I give protect to some of my mons. It needs to be addressed tbh, really uncompetitive, not just for trick room teams but in general.

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash/ Ice Punch
- Assurance
- Fake Out
- Ice Shard

Fake Out for the chip damage, then spam your link. Ice Shard for finishing.

Choose Icicle Crash if you don't mind exchanging accuracy for power and a flinch chance, but remember if Icicle Crash misses, Assurance's Power will be 60 instead of 120.

Last edited:
I got a question: If my Pokemon is wearing a choice item, and the link starts with Trick/Switch-a-roo. Will the second attack in the link be used or will it be ignored?

Example:
Ribombee @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shield Dust
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Sticky Web
- U-turn
- Stun Spore

If I start by using Trick, will I still use Sticky Web? (In the obvious case that the opponent doesn't have a choice item)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)