Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Charge
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch / U-turn

If you're not familiar with charge, it doubles the power of whatever Electric move you decide to use next. In short, Tapu Koko is basically using a Special Electric V-Create with no drawbacks each turn, while also boosting its Special Defense. The things you can do with this are insane.

+2 252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth in Electric Terrain: 158-186 (39.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 271-319 (38.5 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss in Electric Terrain: 183-216 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Ready to die?

Assuming I'm understanding correctly how Z-moves work, say hello to my little nuke:

Lickilicky @ Normalium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Explosion

As long as your opponent doesn't have any ghosts left, anything that can't OHKO it dies:

+6 252+ Atk Lickilicky Explosion vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Steelix-Mega: 318-375 (89.8 - 105.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
On second thought, Snorlax is probably better: its nuke is only slightly weaker (while its other moves are stronger, in case you decide not to use the nuke), with better bulk on both the physical and the special side, and it doesn't need a Z crystal.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Self-Destruct
- Earthquake / Return / Double-Edge
- Crunch / Return / Double-Edge

+6 252+ Atk Snorlax Self-Destruct vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Steelix-Mega: 302-356 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
greninja can now run the fabled hydro cannon-u-turn combo now with a better ability with battle bond, granting it a stronger hydro cannon and a really nice speed tier to boot.

greninja can now run the fabled hydro cannon-u-turn combo now with a better ability with battle bond, granting it a stronger hydro cannon and a really nice speed tier to boot.
Wouldn't u-turn fail if Hydro Cannon OHKOs something, leaving you with a crippled gren for a turn?

Well you can always Z-move the hydro-cannon if you expect that to happen, then use regular hydro cannon to chunk bulky water resists and make another wallbreaker's job easier.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Similarly to the previous examples, if Hyper Beam, etc. is at the end of a link, your cooldown extends to the next turn. If it's at the front, it will cancel your next Linked move, allowing you to spam a Hyper Beam every turn at the expense of your linkage.
Guys there have been some changes from last gen about how things work. I do recommend checking out the OP. Y'all are like all wrong.
So this isn't a one-liner here's some more bad sets.

Carracosta @ Rockium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rain Dance
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge

Speed evs outspeed +1 base 110s because i don't know what's going to be relevant and I figure it's not worth to outspeed Scarf Koko in a meta where scarves are bad and idk what else to do. You essentially end up at +4/+6 after one turn of set up (+2 on non-water moves).

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe OR 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard / Freeze Dry
- Hypnosis / whatever I don't care
- Hail / stuff

This is the standard OU set, except I put Blizzard in the first slot because it makes a great combo. Veil HO might be good here.

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Pressure / Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlwind
- Volt Switch / U-Turn
- Roost
- Defog / Hidden Power Ice / Discharge

The combination of Whirlwind + a pivot move allows you to keep the matchups in your favor throughout the match. Mandibuzz and Mew can also do this, along with a number of other Pokemon not really suited to it. Rocky Helmet punishes the double contact moves that are likely to be common, Roost provides a measure of longevity, and the final move either provides hazard removal, coverage, or a STAB if you chose U-Turn.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Nice to see this meta return, was one of my favorites in Gen 6.

I have to ask, how does Laser Focus (Not to be confused with Focus Energy) work here? The discription is Showdown is "Next turn, the user's attack will be a critical hit", but it's unclear wether it's listed as "Next turn" due to attacking twice regularly not being a thing. If it is used in a link as a Slot 1 move, is the Slot 2 move a guaranteed crit, or is only the one in the next turn a crit?

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe OR 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard / Freeze Dry
- Hypnosis / whatever I don't care
- Hail / stuff

This is the standard OU set, except I put Blizzard in the first slot because it makes a great combo. Veil HO might be good here.
Speaking of Veil sweepers:

Magearna @ Fairium Z / Leftovers / Iapapa Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpA / 16 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Fleur Cannon / Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

(spread stolen from Robopoke's OU spread)

Honestly there's probably a better speed that Magearna could hit but undergoing both Shift Gear and Calm Mind at the same time when something is this bulky is pretty damn hard to deal with. It's much easier to snowball too considering how quickly Magearna gathers speed using the two linked moves here, Shift Gear and Calm Mind in tandem with one another. Fairium Z is for a Z nuke that can be used considering there is no offensively linked move, although if running Leftovers it may be OK to substitute it out for Ice Beam and run the two in tandem.

Zygarde @ Leftovers / Iapapa Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute / Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows

Similar concept, but this instead prioritizes Attack boosting over Speed boosting. Speed tier outspeeds max Speed timid base 60s, so it's probably better to run something faster considering the hyper offensive nature of this metagame.

so question here, so based on what was said about linked recharge moves essentially no longer having to recharge does that essentially mean I can spam hyper beam or blast burn at the cost of not being able to use my second move until I run out of pp?

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
How does pursuit and the metronome item work? Since pursuit has a higher priority then switching it is able to trap, but in this it loses priority so would it no longer trap and would it still do 80 damage on switch. In the case of metronome I'm guessing that it does not boost linked moves used consecutively since technically you are using a different move each time. Here are some cool sets:

Zygarde @ Earth Plate
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Using thousand arrows first allows zygarde to follow up with thousand waves which will trap every pokemon because flying types would no longer be immune. This basically prevents doubles and can trap pokemon not expecting thousand waves.

Smeargle
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Imprison
- Transform

This basically makes the opposing pokemon struggle if you outspeed them. This was nerfed this gen with choice scarf not working with two moves, however if you can manage to outspeed them then you will be put in a very good position.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Nice to see this meta return, was one of my favorites in Gen 6.
I have to ask, how does Laser Focus (Not to be confused with Focus Energy) work here? The discription is Showdown is "Next turn, the user's attack will be a critical hit", but it's unclear wether it's listed as "Next turn" due to attacking twice regularly not being a thing. If it is used in a link as a Slot 1 move, is the Slot 2 move a guaranteed crit, or is only the one in the next turn a crit?
Similar to Dramps' Charge Koko set, I'm inclined to think that it would enhance the next move in your link (or otherwise, the next turn).

so question here, so based on what was said about linked recharge moves essentially no longer having to recharge does that essentially mean I can spam hyper beam or blast burn at the cost of not being able to use my second move until I run out of pp?
Yep, I think that's in the OP too.

How does pursuit and the metronome item work? Since pursuit has a higher priority then switching it is able to trap, but in this it loses priority so would it no longer trap and would it still do 80 damage on switch. In the case of metronome I'm guessing that it does not boost linked moves used consecutively since technically you are using a different move each time.
Explained more in the OP about that, and you're correct with Metronome: you would have to use it outside a link and only use that same move. Alternatively, you can pair it with a Hyper Beam and filler link, which should actually boost your Hyper Beam every time thanks to the second move never being used.

Thanks for all the good questions and sets everyone: keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Frustration
- Swords Dance Power-Up Punch / Ice Punch

Surprised no one is talking about Substitute chains.
Sure it's not as effective since double damaging move chains can break substitute... but it still walls most mons with a setup move chain.
On a side note you will need probably need to scout the opposing mon's moveset to use that effectively.
(also yeah, thanks Silver_Lucario42 for reminding me that i'm not playing STABmons)

Last edited:

Goodbye Forever (Blacephalon) @ Sticky Barb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk
- Mind Blown
- Curse

The cool thing about this set is that you immediately die. 30 HP IVs to ensure that you die.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor

Goodbye Forever (Blacephalon) @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk
- Mind Blown
- Curse

The cool thing about this set is that you immediately die. 30 HP IVs to ensure that you die.
It would be even better death fodder if it were slow enough to take a hit, which it would be because scarf doesn't work with links and therefore would contradict the suicidal nature of this set.

I gave it a sticky barb and made it Timid. It should be pretty good at dying now. It's still fast-ish but Mind Blown/Curse still lets it die real good even against slower mons.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
^ lopunny can't learn swords dance bop

here's something i came up with

Tapu Bulu @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Whirlwind
- Wood Hammer
- 2 fillers (leech seed/protect/nature's madness/coverage/etc)

so according to the meta, all of the first linked move's effects take place before the second move activates. this means that in one move, you can phaze the opposing mon out and smack the next one with boosted wood hammer. i'm thinking this could be pretty useful to pick off random glass cannons.

tapu bulu is chosen because its typing helps it take on mons like zygarde and mega gyara, but other phazers can be used if need be. you can also get creative with what move to put in there. dragon tail + toxic is just mean for stall to deal with (if that becomes a thing), stealth rock + roar denies hazard removal as well as setup, etc. check it out!

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Trick / Switcharoo can be used with a Choice Item, and Assault Vest with Klutz if it is the first move, then followed up by a another move.
People forget, if the first move disarms the foe, and locks their Link, then they can pretty much use any second move such as Disable, U-Turn, etc.

Set Name: Clairvoyant-

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Future Sight
- Explosion / U-Turn
- Filler
- U-Turn / Explosion

Set up future Damage, Deal maximum immediate damage and provide a free switch in. Tapu Lele gives Future Sight a nice Psychic Terrain Boost.

As for Trick:

Alakazam @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Substitute
- Disable
- Filler

Substitute is the new Protect, as Trick prevents more than 1 move in being used and thus Subsitite makes it safe for a turn.

Substitute in the 2nd slot because Disable works on their most recent move (their 2nd in the link), so you want to first Choice Lock then into their first move, then Substitute so when they use their first move it’ll break the Substitute and then next turn use Disable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivy
Hey cool this is back now, nice

Haven't seen anyone mention it, so I'll post my favorite set from last gen:

Victini @ whatever you want really (I used choice scarf last gen, but that's not possible here so go nuts)
Victory star
Naive
252 SpA/4 Atk/252 Speed
- Fusion Bolt
- Fusion Flare
- Filler
- Filler

The goal of this set is to just click the link and hope for the best. Fusion Flare becomes 200BP after fusion flare, and has the added benefit of breaking subs through fusion bolt. Some good fillers would be things that can deal with the linked moves (Like energy ball for quag, or glaciate for dragon types)

No mention of Swoobat?

Swoobat @ Whatever
Ability: Simple
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Filler
- Filler

Immediate 100 BP STAB, increasing by 80 BP with the next 2 uses.

Seems like moves that buff your next move for just one turn can see some love here. Namely things like Laser Focus, Charge and Lock-on, rather than stat boosts, which would otherwise be useless.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf life orb, Z-move, etc
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Lock-On
- Zap Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Fun little bit of parahax to augment mag's usual trapping.

Ambipom @ Normalium Z
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Laser Focus
- Tail Slap
- Knock Off/ filler
- Fake Out/ Fire punch/ filler

You get skill link, pseudo-technician, and a free +1 attack with Z-Laser focus, effectively giving you a 421 BP Tail Slap. Have fun trying to resist this without a ghost type or a Stakataka :V

Xurkitree @ life orb / elecrtium Z
Modest/Timid Nature
- Ion Deluge
- Hyper Beam
- Volt Switch / Tail Glow
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ok this set's horribly outclassed, but it at least shows that Ion Deluge can actually do something in this meta.

Last edited:
Choice Scarf means Magnezone can't use Lock On followed by Zap Cannon. You could still give it an Air Balloon or Electrium Z.

Is this playable anywhere yet, it looks a lot of fun.

Choice Scarf means Magnezone can't use Lock On followed by Zap Cannon. You could still give it an Air Balloon or Electrium Z.

Is this playable anywhere yet, it looks a lot of fun.
Oh right, forgot about that. But yeah the idea still stands. Also, the meta hasn't been coded yet - first page has a post saying they're looking for coders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)