Metagame Linked

EternumTagerMain

formerly Valky 115 Qc
I've been having some success with this Regice Set.

Regice @ Light Clay
Ability: Ice Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Thunder Wave
- Blizzard

With it's Monstrous Defenses, it can set up Veil on basicly anything that isn't running Taunt.
It gets Leftovers Recovery with Ice Body and chips away with Hail.
T-Wave is to slow down fast mons and it can tear appart Flying Types with it's perfect accuracy Blizzards or swap to one of my sweepers.

On a unrelated note, Iron Head + Zen Headbutt Jirachi is for big smelly cowards.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Imprison mechanic, but I wonder whether this was normal / intended :
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-958368702

At turn 7, I predicted a switch, and thus click TrickRoom (linked with Rain Dance). However, I get an error message, because TrickRoom is currently in smeargle moveset. I then clicked Rain Dance, because why not. And this way, I was able to reset TrickRoom successfully.

How does Imprison work on console ?

Are we prevented to click a duplicate move ?
And in this case, is this intended that we are still able to activate the moves as I did ? (Considering that the moves are "fusionned", and thus, TrickRoom-Explosion =/= TrickRoom-RainDance)

Or can we click the move, but it will just fail during the turn ? And in this case, if the opponent switches out, which pokemon moveset is considered for Imprison ? The Pokemon switched out, or the Pokemon switching in ?

I've been having some success with this Regice Set.

Regice @ Light Clay
Ability: Ice Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Thunder Wave
- Blizzard

With it's Monstrous Defenses, it can set up Veil on basicly anything that isn't running Taunt.
It gets Leftovers Recovery with Ice and chips away with Hail.
T-Wave is to slow down fast mons and it can tear appart Flying Types with it's perfect accuracy Blizzards or swap to one of my sweepers.

On a unrelated note, Iron Head + Zen Headbutt Jirachi is for big smelly cowards.
Cool set,a taunter of your own will basically shut down any checks (except greninja taunt ugh )
big smelly coward Jirachi is in the ladder now and again :/

I have being trying a little with TR, and here are some thoughts about the mons I have tried :

The main point is to set TR and immediately let place for an abusers, giving it 4 turns instead of 3 in regular formats.

I tried Normal gem Explosion at the beginning, but I quickly changed for Mental herb.
I also switched from Diancie to Carbink. Even with every mon having access to multiple hit moves, a lot of threats run Set-up + Offensive move ; making Sturdy still interesting.

Magearna TR + VoltSwitch is also interesting, the downside being that you lose precious TR turns if the opponent has some electric immunities.
Because of its natural bulk and many resistances, it's probably my favorite setter.

Cresselia is great for its bulk, but in my games, I often LunarDance just for dying, my remaining abusers being at full already.

I guess I should try Uxie instead, with TR + U-turn. But I never liked Uxie. I feel psychic type is horrible, and its bulk is not Cresslia's. (Moreover, I feel like U-turn is ban-worthy, but...)
Right now, I feel that the best setters would be Magearna (VoltSwitch) + Carbink (Explosion) + Cresselia/Uxie (Lunar Dance / U-turn) ; with one or two Mental Herb (especially on Carbink).

I ran that in a silly Water-spam team, not very convinced about it, but thinking "it benefits from the rain, and TR will also help Araquanid".
And OML, I was so surprised by the damages it could do.
I used it with Regenator, but as a matter of fact, I didn't switched out much. Whereas I was taunted few times. So Oblivious could be an interesting option as well, depending on the rest of the team.

Slowking @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Regenerator / Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 1 Spe
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Scald / Surf
- Psyshock / Psychic

Since then, I've also tried it in a semi-TR (with Mega-Zam, Lele, Magearna and 2 TR abusers), and it was a good lead when I predicted a Lando-lead from the opponent.

My first thoughts were "with Belly Drum, you can run a defensive spread, and probably being able to live hits outside of TR".
My second thoughts were "Self-Destruct might be worthy. If the opponent doesn't intimidate you, you can click again Belly-Drum+Return to just use Return ; and keep Self Destruct for when TR ends." (Because the turn just after TR is often the most dangerous turn. If you don't have a TR-setter in, you're allowing the opponent to set-up and sometimes sweep your team, without having any chance to reset TR). So I came up with those sets :
Snorlax @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Belly Drum
- Body Slam / Return
- Crunch / Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Return / Self-Destruct

But if you're planning to Self-Destruct at the end of the TR, then running a defensive spread wasn't that clever. So right now, I rather run :

Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Return
- Crunch
- Self-Destruct

I never used Z-BellyDrum, but I guess it could be handy in some situations, if you want to reuse Snorlax under the next TR (even if, the best way to reset TR is often to Self-Destruct). Crunch is probably better than other coverages because Rock/Steel types can be destroyed by Z-Self-Destruct anyway.

Marowak-Alola is obviously great. I went for ShadowBone + FlareBlitz instead of SwordDance + FlareBlitz. Since there aren't many mons resisting both (and Gren still gets KO by the combo), it's often enough. Moreover, it's usefull to bypass Sturdies / FocusSashes / Unaware. And ShadowBone doesn't make contact, and has a chance to lower the foe's Defense, so it combines pretty well.

Araquanid with Liquidation+Waterfall. Even Water resists don't like it. I tried MysticWater, and AV. I feel like it might not be the first choice for a full TR, but with AV, it might be one of the most usefull outside of TR.

Rampardos came from the thoughts "ChoiceBand / ChoiceSpecs are bad, hitting only once ; and LO is bad, getting 20% recoil... Unless you're SheerForce !"
Sword Dance + Rock Slide is a great mon during TR, and if you run 252 EV SpDef, you live Water-Shuriken form Ash-Gren, as long as it's "item-neutral" (not LO, etc.).
You could also run RockSlide+HeadSmash / Crunch / Rock Tomb to break unaware.

Having a mega allows you to punish Trick / Switcheroo.
Mawile's intimidate is always something usefull ; but its stab moves aren't great, and it felt somehow disappointing. But I was probably running the wrong set (Iron Head + Play Rough, whereas I should go for Sword Dance + Play Rough).
I haven't much things to say about Mega-Heracross.

The sets as I would run them now :
Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Waterfall
- Leech Life
- Lunge

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Last edited:
Zeraora can link any Normal-type move after Plasma Fists for big damage. It's also not so frail that it fears Water Shuriken most of the time.

Zeraora @ Expert Belt/Life Orb/Zap Plate
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Return/Frustration
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power Ice

Last two moves are generally free to be whatever your team needs. Close Combat breaks Ferrothorn and Excadrill, HP Ice dents Garchomp and Landorus. I don't like Facade because it's weaker than Zap Plate and up (well, it outdamages itemless Zera), while Toxic recoil accumulates very quickly, especially with all the Rocky Helmet around.

So I haven't seen anyone talk about endeavor so far. Endeavor + attack on an offensive mon bypasses large HP stats on any non-ghost target.
Now that may sound situational (and maybe it is,) but in my experience it can be super dangerous.

I run a hard trick room team built around these two sweepers:

Wishiwashi-School @ Life Orb
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 HP / 0 Spe
- Endeavor
- Brine
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Drampa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sap Sipper
Level: 1
EVs: 1 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Endeavor
- Dragon Rage
- Glare
- Roar

Baby Drampa is pretty straightforward (if somewhat gimmicky.) If you get it in under TR (which is easier than ever in linked) then it kills anything, from any %HP, with the exception of ghost and fairy types.

Wishiwashi isn't more complex, it just has different conditions: from full it doesn't get many one turn kills - except with super effective hits or against bulky mons like cresselia (75% chance if max spdef), chansey, snorlax - but the more life orb recoil you take (20% per turn) the more dangerous it becomes. So far I haven't encountered anything that lived after endeavor took it below 50%

Best Gal

once upon a time wont last forever
Drampa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sap Sipper
Level: 1
EVs: 1 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Endeavor
- Dragon Rage
- Glare
- Roar

Baby Drampa is pretty straightforward (if somewhat gimmicky.) If you get it in under TR (which is easier than ever in linked) then it kills anything, from any %HP, with the exception of ghost and fairy types.
What stops this Drampa set from being easily taken care of by double prio or water shuriken?

What stops this Drampa set from being easily taken care of by double prio or water shuriken?
the other mons on the team. I haven't seen double prio used since the last time this was OMOM and every team needs at least one greninja answer anyway.

https://pokepast.es/4e49e66d6c86d6fb

I'm posting my new team here. It's quite similar with my previous team with only two different pokemons.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Scizor is my favorite pokemon for Hyper-Offense, with decent bulk and enormous power. SD+knock off can deal with the common red-card users like mimikyu and shuckle. Scizor also has some advantage against trick room teams, since SD+knock off can OHKO some TR setters like uxie and cresselia. Scizor can even kill greninja at +4 after SR damage, and it can set up against many popular pms in this metagame, like kartana, lopunny and so on.

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Red Card is a really important item in this metagame, because it helps to destroy linked moves. The opponent is forced out only after his first damage move. Usually, one damage move only breaks mimikyu's disguise and a random pokemon is dragged into battle, and damaged by mimikyu's boosted play rough. Mimikyu can deal with most boosters in this metagame except for mold breakers and knock off.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Klefki is the best screen setter for linked game. He easily sets dual screen with +1 priority, and use T-wave to slowdown the opposing pokemons, which gives chance for my pokemons to set up their boosts. For the last slot, foul play, play rough and defog are viable. Play rough can deal with dark-types because they are not affected by thunder wave, and it can also be used to remove some substitutes. Defog can be used to remove annoying sticky webs.

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Safeguard
- Skill Swap

My team is not weak to rocks so I don't quite mind hazards in my field. However I want to have a suicide leader to keep hazards on my opponent's field, since my three boost+attack pokemons can be stopped by sashes and get revenge killed. Uxie is a good suicide leader, because it has decent bulk to survive most of the damaging moves without too many boost, like surf+hydro greninja, CM+thunderbolt koko, and whatever lopunny, kartana and so on(SD weavile ofc can kill it). Opponent's -2 atk/spa pokemons will be good setup fodders for my pokemons. For the other two moves, I never use them. Probably you can use some wiser moves there.

Kartana @ Steelium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Timid kartana can boost speed when knocking out a pokemon. So if kartana kills one with leaf blade, it gets +2 atk and +1 spe, and almost nothing can stop it. Steelium Z is used to deal with unaware clefable. Now since there are some zapdos here, we can also use normalium z.

Greninja-Ash @ Splash Plate
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

Ash-ninja is the only special attacker in my team. The surf+hydro pump set is really powerful, and many team even brings AV volcanion to check it. I don't need to explain too much on this.

So, of course, everyone has seen this team since the video that aim did with it. At some point, I felt the ladder kind of adapted to counter it. But it still managed to have tools to deal with most of things, so I guess it's a team decent enough.

My current version of it : https://pokepast.es/9d84396d604e67ec

The team is hell of weak to f*c*i*g Jirachi, especially with Protective pads. (I hate that thing, why is it allowed ? :/ )
That's why there are 2 Shadow Ball on the two fast mons.

(Calm Mind is just the dead slot of the scarfer.)

If you don't like Oblivious on Slowking, I guess you could switch to Regenator. But there are teams relying on Taunt to prevent TrickRoom, so I would recommend running Mental Herb on Mag, then. (But being able to deny Taunt repeatedly is nice, and I don't switch around much beaucause it's an offensive team ; so Regenator isn't better in my opinion.)

For Snorlax, as mentionned in my previous post, the main point is to avoid opening the door at the end of TR to a "snow ball sweep" from Quiver/Dragon-Dance + Attacking move, or Sword Dance + Attacking move on Timid Kartana. The idea is to Self-Destruct on the last turn of TR to be able to maintain pressure the turn after.
Advantages of Normalium Z (over Gluttony) : you can Z-Self Destruct to do massive damages without making contact ; you can run Thick fat ; if you're at +5 because of Intimidation, you usually don't want to Belly drum again, so it's a good thing if Belly Drum fails because of your HP (I should run an even number of HP, I just realized) ; you might Z-belly drum in some very special occasions.
Drawbacks : priorities (and helmets) can become annoying.

I had for a long time Sword Dance and Knock off on Marowak, but I literally never clicked something else than Shadow Bone + Flare Blitz. So the last two moves are filler. But against some tricky TR vs TR match up, having Protect might be Useful, I guess. By the same logic as Self Destruct, Curse might give you a free and crucial suicide.

Last edited:

EternumTagerMain

formerly Valky 115 Qc
I'm back with another one of my unique sets for Linked.

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SP.Def -Speed)
IVs: 0 Speed
- Curse
- Heavy Slam / Gyro Ball
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Earthquake

It's basically the Standard Set for M-Steelix but for Linked.
- It's got maxed out Sp Def and HP for maximum longevity.
- It does not need any speed so I put the minimum to fight Trick Room.
- Being able to set-up Curse and attack in the same Turn means that you don't need to Curse while being succeptible to Special Attacks and become an immediate threat.
- Best played with Screens support from Klefki/Koko etc or my previously mentionned Regice set.
- Rest Talk is useful since it has 2/3 Chance of either boosting up or attacking.
- Gyro is ok but it's low amount of PP could be problematic. Heavy Slam does 120 STAB to most things anyway.

Strengths:
- It counters Trick Room Teams since it is slower than everything else except the uncommon Torkoal.
- It is still useful outside of Trick Room thus can be played on regular teams.
- It can tank A-Marowak's Shadow Bone + Flare Blitz with 1 Boost beforehand and even outslowing it during Trick Room.
- Anything Physical barely puts a dent on it especially after boosting up.
- It takes little damage from Jirachi and is highly succeptible of winning against it even without EQ.

Weaknesses:
- It has trouble taking on Special Threats like AshNinja without Screens or being Boosted Before hand.
- It also has trouble fighting Bulky Threats who resist it or things with 4x Resist to Steel if it's not running EQ.
- Koko can soft-counter it if Steelix is low and deny Rest with Electric Terrain.
- Substitute counters it.
- Somewhat succeptible to phazing from Physically Tanky Mons early on.
- It has to run EQ to kill A-Marowak.

I'd say Mega-Steelix is underrated in Linked.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor

LINKED SUSPECT: BATTLE BOND

The people have been clamoring for this, and so it has come. Ash-Greninja has been a menace for the longest time and it's worth taking a good look at while the ladder is up. While there are many seemingly broken threats in the metagame, they at least share the trait of needing a turn of setup, either via Trick Room, a Z-move, or sacrificing a link slot for something like Swords Dance. Ash-Greninja needs only to land a KO with its already decent Protean-aided forme to ascend to a true terror. It never needs to fear being Choice-locked into Water Shuriken like in standard OU due to the almost complete absence of Choice items in the meta, affording more versatile items in its stead. Its simultaneous dual STAB with either Surf+Scald/Hydro Pump or Dark Pulse can wallop through just about anything shy of niche Assault Vest picks or Chansey, the latter of which can't place itself in this largely offensive metagame.

In order to participate, take a new Showdown account to 76% GXE over the course of at least 25 games on the ladder. These requirements are more lax than usual due to the somewhat limited timeframe. Please incorporate the substring "GBB" into the username of the account.
When complete, make a post in this thread and feel free to provide any rationale that led you to your decision. Also, please provide proof as had been shown in the BH suspect thread: example 1 example 2 example 3

Battle Bond remains on the ladder during this time. Deadline for this is next Tuesday, August 27th, 2019 at 23:59 EST. 60% majority will be required to enact a ban. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
While i'm too bad to get voting reqs rn, here's what i think.
Chansey.
But wait,
Chansey, the latter of which can't place itself in this largely offensive metagame.
Chansey, while being stally in normal game, is alright in non stall teams. It punishes offensive mons with TWave, making them easy to revenge kill. Its a free switch in, with only grounds/electrics able to switch safely. Taunt can be used to stop Chansey but its rarely seen and can be played around. It also walls every special attacker, bar Taunt, Eruption Camerupt, or Z/dual attack Volc with Soft Boiled/Wish as the link.
[stall core Chansey can also stall trick room]

80% will be too high for me. But I'm surprised we're actually suspecting Battle Bond. I feel there are way more broken things than Greninja. For a lot of mons, if you let them set-up, you might be snowball swept (Dragon/Quiver Dancers, SD Timid Kartana, Z-HappyHour Jirachi who might flinch you to death after a +1 speed boost).

Sure, BB-Greninja is a great mon. But at least, it doesn't boosts itself. You can let him a free turn, it will get BB, but that won't go higher than that. You just have to prepare for its BB form, and that doesn't seem too complicated to me.
It packs more power than in OU because it attcks twice, sure. But that's the case for every mon in the tier. The metagame needs to prepare for huge punchers, because every mon can attack twice a turn. So I feel like, the only things really specifics with Greninja, is that it has access to a good priority (and a good stab combo, I guess). But that doesn't seem enough to be ban-worthy to me.

I was waiting to see if the pro-ban camp would give convincing explanations, but without it, I'll stay by my
Sure, BB-Greninja is a great mon. But at least, it doesn't boosts itself. You can let him a free turn, it will get BB, but that won't go higher than that. You just have to prepare for its BB form, and that doesn't seem too complicated to me.
It packs more power than in OU because it attcks twice, sure. But that's the case for every mon in the tier. The metagame needs to prepare for huge punchers, because every mon can attack twice a turn. So I feel like, the only things really specifics with Greninja, is that it has access to a good priority (and a good stab combo, I guess). But that doesn't seem enough to be ban-worthy to me.
:
NO BAN

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivy
Gonna do the suspect anyway, although ive reached the 1400s in the ladder (currently #80 as Oy Mate! with 1387). BB-Greninja is workeable. Out of all the Water+Fairy types, Primarina is my favorite answer to Greninja (and all Water+Dark types for that matter).

Mega Sceptile is pretty great too, as it can also run over Lando T, Zeraora, Koko and Mega Loppuny.

Both of them can just pop BB-Greninja without a care, with Primarina taking no more than 40% damage.

Aside from pokemon i use, Breloom can take some Water Shurikens and ko with Mach Punch.

Reactions: Ivy

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Vc Altaria Tmi489 NestorKennard Remember to edit your posts to include your actual judgment soon!
There are also a few of you who expressed interest or claimed to have done it but have yet to post proof or a judgment; there's still time to get those in.

Dropping the team I've been using for a few weeks now.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Assurance
- Earthquake
- Protect

The ostensible star of the show. Imagine Sharpedo got Swords Dance in standard; that's almost what you have here. Post-Mega you will one-shot Greninja-Ash from 100% and 2HKO at worst every mon in the game if they don't resist Dark. I debated Psychic Fangs for Klefki, but honestly I'm not sure it's worth it; I prefer the coverage Earthquake provides, and I'd rather have a teammate deal with Dual Screens.

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Hazard control for my team, and a nice little anti-screens measure. Defog guarantees that Overheat will connect, as well. Volt Switch is pivoting because pivoting is too good, and Toxic breaks Unaware Clefable.

Zygarde-10% @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Definitely one of the best snowballing sweepers Linked has to offer. It doesn't have the nasty bulk that Zygarde-50% has, but behind Screens it's got enough to eat a hit or two and leverage its great speed tier. Devastating Drake is the team's Z-Move and it's a very serviceable nuke even unboosted.

Klefki @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Spikes
- Play Rough

Dual Screens should have been suspected instead of Greninja-Ash.

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Return
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Posted about this further up on the page. Outspeeds Lopunny and slower (which includes Greninja-Ash), and just hits hard in general if it's using its Link or SE coverage. Fun fact: This will OHKO 252 HP Tapu Koko before it can act.

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Lele blocks the priority that some teams will spam, in addition to hitting really really hard. I found Psychic lies in a nice intersection of coverage for my team, able to break the physically bulky Pokemon the rest of my team struggles to handle. I haven't tried Psyshock, if someone does let me know how it works in the scheme of the team.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Assurance
- Earthquake
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Zygarde-10% @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Klefki @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Spikes
- Play Rough

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Return
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Last edited:
Okay, well...I'm gonna drop this team for ya'll. Got me from 1200 to 1600 pretty consistently and after enough tweaking I believe this is the final product after about 25 or so battles. SPOILER WARNING: WORDY PARAGRAPHS!!!

https://pokepast.es/7d4a2e0b4f0b0a8e

Some notes to add:

1: This trick room team is not the slowest out there, so be on guard. Stakataka is your biggest enemy and once mag goes down, you're toast if you attempt to stop him mid-way. There are no true counters to stak and even then this team is a prime example of that. Curse Mega steelix is popping up more consistently and that's also something to be very aware of.
2: You do NOT have to keep defog on Drampa. It's a niche move and doesn't require to be there, I merely put it on because I feel it's already got both powerful stabs plus flamethrower to check Kart, Ferro, opposing Mag, and the dual attack alone invalidates sash/sturdy. If you're looking for 4 attack drampa I suggest t-bolt but coverage works too, mix and match for your desire. Sap sipper is mainly just a gimmick to keep Kart from running around and eating your team. It is not bulky, so do not rely on this as your Kart check, immediately switch to Mag at all costs. If you predict Z Smart strike, then attempt to sack another mon before bringing in Mag again.
3: Golurk is just as good a No guard mon as he is iron fist, mix and match. I suggest this set if you're looking to try the iron fist: https://pokepast.es/cf2b93f391f40932 It's potentially the best fit for your team if you decide for iron fist but no guard works just as well and I've swapped between both, but found that under trick room, stone edge reliably hitting volc and Aero were too big of threats if left unchecked so consider no guard my personal favorite.
4: Your win con is not Mega Ampharos but goooooood lord do not underestimate it. 471 sp. attack with discharge as its first attack (breaks subs by having it as the first attack and weaker of the two, plus para chance), then follow it up with a monstrous t-bolt is too good to pass up. HP ice OhKO's any Lando that isn't running AV and dragon pulse just for stab, though you could run any number of attacks in that slot. If you get the chance to, save Mega Ampharos due to its lack of recovery, but mostly so it punches holes in the opponent's team.
5: Primarina is there mainly for coverage, but it happens to be a bulky fairy type to add to the arsenal. Moonblast/Hyper voice (or sparkling area if you prefer) just eats any Gren/T-tar/Lando/Tran that happens to think it can switch in to sponge a hit...which they never will. 383 sp. attack is nothing to sneeze at and both moves are stab 90 power. As well, be sure to experiment with the coverage moves. I barely use them but energy ball and ice beam proved to be the most useful so far.
6: Mesprit and Uxie pair well with this team for the 2nd trick room setter, just depends on if you want Memento (Uxie) or Healing wish (Mesprit), player's call. In most scenarios I find you won't be able to get them off too often so this point is somewhat moot, and I just rely on Uxie for the raw bulk it provides. But if you had to twist my arm I would rather use Mesprit's healing wish on that off chance you can get it going, so tit for tat.
7: Due to the bulk of your Mag as well as the Mesprit/Uxie you choose...I don't get discouraged when you see an Aerodactyl with taunt, or any fast taunt mon. You can freely keep volt/turning until they either decide to attack you or you keep volt-turning until you manage to get your trick room off. This can wear away at your opponent until they're pressured into attacking you regardless. Or if you're really into making reads on the guy, throw Golurk in at the start to mess him up, scare him off, double into Mag, take your pick you can do whatever you want.
8: I think this goes without saying, but the best part about running trick room is that the EV's you would normally run into speed now offer you 252 HP, something that bulks up your team quite considerably. While I sometimes see people say this is a minor point (or "DUUUUH"), the extra EV's you've slammed into HP could easily help you tank moves you otherwise wouldn't have.

Now...onto some more crucial notes...your counters...

1: Public enemy number one on this team (and most other trick room teams atm)...Stakataka. I already mentioned him earlier so I'll be brief but do not let trick room get set up until he is out of the picture. Absolutely no trick room is to be set up until then. He devours teams and once Mag is down, you have to pray you have enough sacks to outlast trick room and hope to god he cannot set it up again, or have his partners set it up.
2: Blacephalon and most common sets: Once Primarina/Drampa go down, you have to be very careful. Blace usually runs sub/flamethrower, or sub/shadow ball, and either eat your team. You can comfortably tank two +1 flamethrowers with your mega ampharos, or one +1 shadow ball, but no more. If you're able to make predictions with Drampa's normal typing as well, please do.
3: Timid Swords dance/Leaf blade Kartana: Mag goes down? You need to cherish Drampa like he was the second coming and pray he doesn't predict and go for Smart Strike. Kart mindlessly blows away Primarina, Golurk and sacred sword for Drampa. I will bet my bottom dollar most are running Steelium Z Smart Strike and they will more than likely save said Z move for your bulkiest mons, which happen to be Mag or Mega Ampharos if they're smart enough to piece that together.
4: Brave Marowak: Speed ties mega ampharos. Drampa goes down...then under trick room you're playing the final 50/50 to decide if the game's worth playing past this point or not.
5: Keys with screens, followed up with support: Klefki trolls all teams and this is no exception. Defog on drampa helps, as well as maybe running brick break on Golurk, but all of your huge threats need screens gone to deal any lasting damage. If the Keys are dumb enough to use their turn on t-waving you when you have monsters like Mega ampharos or even (heaven forbid) golurk out, then it's a no brainer that Keys are dead, but screens with light clay usually are a nuisance and should get your drampa in as soon as possible. If you can outlast it, all the more power to you.
6: Mega Charizard X with Swords dance/Flame charge or Dragon dance/Flare Blitz: Only a concern if he's set up a considerable amount of times (2 or more). Primarina with Wiki will soft check either set, though flame charge into flare blitz is risky to absorb and can usually result in you eating your wiki before you can bulk out a second bout of both hits.

Soft checks to this team that could pose a greater nuisance...but aren't THAT bad:

1: Sub/flamethrower Volcanion. Some Volcanion run Steam eruption into flamethrower/fire blast but most are running the sub/flamethrower, followed up with toxic and another coverage move, I find. Not an issue with Mega ampharos around, and setting up sub in face of Drampa is an unwise move. Even Steam Eruption/Fire blast isn't that big of a deal due to Primarina's typing and bulk tanking both hits.
2: Quiver dance/Fiery Dance Volcarona: Easily disposed of with Golurk. Cannot kill Uxie with Savage Spin-out with no boosts, and quiver into fiery dance certainly won't either. Quiver into bug buzz isn't a popular set and I haven't fought one thus far. Even so that means that if you find this set, Mag is the trick room setter you go for first, and even then (while not nearly as well), Mag will still tank a non boosted fiery dance with it's incredible bulk.
3: Zeraora...and all variations: Not nearly that big of a deal. Unless they run special defense investment, Mega Ampharos will eat all of its attacks for days, and can easily KO it back with the ironically non-absorbed electric attacks thanks to Mold Breaker. Golurk for physical bulk, absorbs electric attacks obviously...and you also have Mesprit/Uxie who will most certainly tank a +1 Plasma fist without so much as breaking a sweat.
4: Mega Lopunny: Mag...literally, Mag all the way. Eats the fakeout/poweruppunch/last resort (or Return/Frustration if you will) without so much as a scratch and sets up trick room in its face. Mega Lopunny needs to run High Jump Kick into Jump Kick to be considered a threat and I have yet to see that sort of set arise.
5: Greninja or even Ash Gren: Primarina is mainly your best counter, especially with Wiki. It's massive bulk combined with resisting both stabs lets it more often than not eat Wiki, followed up by KOing back with moonblast. If this Gren is protean, you'll have to scout for that in case of gunk shot or another set of moves, but...I haven't seen this sort of set arise and have yet to say if it's effective on this team or not.
6: Mega Aerodactyl: More often than not just OhKO'd by Golurk and can tank a +1 EQ comfortably speaking. Hone claws into stone edge will never KO Mag and even after said stone edge chip, EQ will never KO unless crit max roll, Adamant nature btw. Uxie/Mesprit have levitate and, while not nearly as well, can tank a +1 stone edge just barely.

Over the course of my laddering, I offer you these solid points. I know this team is not perfect and can easily be tweaked to anybody's liking, but as of the last 10 out of 25 battles my team has stayed the same as the pokepaste above with no changes. Enjoy if you will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)