(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Kanburi post: 7265804 said:
IMO that's a bit of an overreaction to leave the franchise because they don't agree with the distribution methods of event Pokemon, it just seems like such a small part of the game to me. I doubt shiny Solgaleo and Lunala will be released any time soon anyway, they gave out shiny Xerneas and Yveltal worldwide after ORAS was released and we haven't even gotten shiny Groudon and Kyogre (have we?) yet. But to each their own, I guess.
I agree its ridiculous and as much as I hate how they treat the fan base (outside of JPN) I won't ever abandon the games. I will, however, bug them until they hear us. But it happens to often, with large groups leaving over events.

Okay, I'm annoyed Japan gets all these cool Events, but to abandon the franchise over it? That's a bit of an overreaction, as much as we want them the Events are just a bonus, your enjoyment of the franchise shouldn't be based partly on them. Like the only Events you should be counting on are the ones which give out the the region's Mythical Pokemon, every other event is like sprinkles on a dessert treat. The games aren't changed or effected by bonus events and even if they lock off something to be connected to an event it's only a little thing (and they probably do plan on releasing that Event worldwide).

EDIT: Shedinja'd by Kanburi
Same response as I gave Kanburi.

Edit: and just for any of you joining late, I have nothing against JPN players. My only issue is with the Pokemon Company giving them exclusive noteworthy events (shiny Arceus, shiny Diancie, etc.) I do understand them getting some exclusive stiff but why does it have to be such noteworthy, and otherwise unobtainable (if I want a living Dex I have to hack, which I dont do) by any other means?

Last edited:
tbh what is even the worth of certain japanese events like the shinies except to look and say "this is really cool looking"
it's not like areas outside of japan don't get the mythicals anyway so literally all that shiny events are is bragging rights reward
I do understand them getting some exclusive stiff but why does it have to be such noteworthy, and otherwise unobtainable (if I want a living Dex I have to hack, which I dont do) by any other means?
??????? ok but why though
i made a living dex in ORAS all on my own means, how is this suddenly impossible?

tbh what is even the worth of certain japanese events like the shinies except to look and say "this is really cool looking"
it's not like areas outside of japan don't get the mythicals anyway so literally all that shiny events are is bragging rights reward

??????? ok but why though
i made a living dex in ORAS all on my own means, how is this suddenly impossible?
To be honest the one that bothers me most is shiny Genesect. However, I'm taking this stand for everyone. And the reason a true living Dex isn't possible is because people like to have them in all genders, all forms , and shiny while (usually) all being one language. Shiny Arceus and Diancie weren't to impressive to me but so many people still want a shot at them, even if its having to pay for them (yes, even that's better than not getting them)

If you're going to abandon a franchise simply because of a minor element (events) then it's likely you would've quit the franchise anyway at some point. Events are a minor thing, it is going to be annoying that we in the west might not get some events, but you can still access the other 99.5% of the game without events entirely and still enjoy, I don't think it's as big of an issue as you have made it out to be.

If you're going to abandon a franchise simply because of a minor element (events) then it's likely you would've quit the franchise anyway at some point. Events are a minor thing, it is going to be annoying that we in the west might not get some events, but you can still access the other 99.5% of the game without events entirely and still enjoy, I don't think it's as big of an issue as you have made it out to be.
While I wont abandon it for events I do still dislike our lack of events. Sadly, most gamers are extremely toxic and WILL abandon games for minor reasons. I will make a stand about unfair things or lack of acknowledging the fan base but I won't abandon a game over it. Sadly, everyone else in my household has abandoned it as well as most of my friends over lack of events instead of trying to communicate the issue. If we don't tell them and just stop playing (which is how people deal with it) then how will they know what we want?

Edit: And honestly the only events that I'm making a big deal of are major ones (Shiny Diancie, Shiny Arceus, Shiny Tapus which are as of now planned to be JPN exclusive, etc.)

Edit 2: Aside from events (which not counting bp/mega stone rewards from challenge we've had about 10 to JPNs 60 or so) everything else is literally perfect. And with the introduction of qr code events there's no reason we can't get more events but we seem to be getting even less.

Last edited:
I personally don't mind the exclusive shiny events as they are just alternate-colored Pokemon with no other distinctive traits (and plenty of shiny legendaries/mythicals look worse than the regular-colored ones), but things like Bolt Strike Victini being region-exclusive are worth complaining at.

While I wont abandon it for events I do still dislike our lack of events. Sadly, most gamers are extremely toxic and WILL abandon games for minor reasons. I will make a stand about unfair things or lack of acknowledging the fan base but I won't abandon a game over it. Sadly, everyone else in my household has abandoned it as well as most of my friends over lack of events instead of trying to communicate the issue. If we don't tell them and just stop playing (which is how people deal with it) then how will they know what we want?

Edit: And honestly the only events that I'm making a big deal of are major ones (Shiny Diancie, Shiny Arceus, Shiny Tapus which are as of now planned to be JPN exclusive, etc.)
It's still a massive overreaction to abandon the franchise over something so minor ("I'm abandoning Pokemon because I can't get a recolour of Arceus, screw this franchise!"). As I said if you're willing to abandon an entire franchise over Pokemon recolours then you're probably not that into Pokemon or you are having a salt attack, and people are going to keep on buying games no matter where events are. Pokemon is such a strong franchise that the amount of sales they lose due to lack of events is trivial, at best. I understand the annoyance with it, but the whole quitting Pokemon thing is irrational. Quitting doesn't solve anything and I doubt Game Freak will get the message, they're a company notorious for this sort of thing.

That said Bolt Strike Victini is legitimately annoying.

It's still a massive overreaction to abandon the franchise over something so minor ("I'm abandoning Pokemon because I can't get a recolour of Arceus, screw this franchise!"). As I said if you're willing to abandon an entire franchise over Pokemon recolours then you're probably not that into Pokemon or you are having a salt attack, and people are going to keep on buying games no matter where events are. Pokemon is such a strong franchise that the amount of sales they lose due to lack of events is trivial, at best. I understand the annoyance with it, but the whole quitting Pokemon thing is irrational. Quitting doesn't solve anything and I doubt Game Freak will get the message, they're a company notorious for this sort of thing.

That said Bolt Strike Victini is legitimately annoying.
I agree abandoning the game isnt logical but its happening all around me. And the shinies aren't the biggest deal but the sheer numbers its happening in are what upset me most. That and bolt strike Victini (cuz they wanted JPN to always win Victini mirror matches). And they truly are notorious for not caring about the fan base once they have your money but if we keep bringing the topic up eventually they'll listen (or slowly lose more fans).

Edit to respond to someone else:

I personally don't mind the exclusive shiny events as they are just alternate-colored Pokemon with no other distinctive traits (and plenty of shiny legendaries/mythicals look worse than the regular-colored ones), but things like Bolt Strike Victini being region-exclusive are worth complaining at.
Agreed. Most shinies aren'tthat good. The 2 that anger me personally are shiny Genesect and B Strike Victini. However, my stance is for everyone and is mainly protesting the sheer number of events we never get to see no matter how bad we want them.

did they ALL really actually leave the franchise or events and not something else? all of them. every single one. told you "I'm not playing Pokémon any more because of events." It was a direct cause-and-effect relationship. You're sure of that? It isn't just you projecting?

did they ALL really actually leave the franchise or events and not something else? all of them. every single one. told you "I'm not playing Pokémon any more because of events." It was a direct cause-and-effect relationship. You're sure of that? It isn't just you projecting?
I am certain. I know many people who straight up said it was due to the events situation. Some left the franchise recently, some a while back all due to this. As ridiculous as it is to ditch the game for the events I do feel that its annoying enough to discuss with them. However, I, for one, won't abandon the games for just the lack of events. (I may play them less or be a bit more hesitant to buy at most. Besides that, I'll merely state my thoughts until they acknowledge that we exist, hence bringing the cause up on Twitter)

Edit: And in case you wonder why they would mention the reason it's because I asked them why after hearing they stopped playing.

Last edited:
I feel like we are in an endless loop, so let's change topics:

For in-game purposes, there's the matter of Pokemon with dramatically different stat distributions between evolutionary stages.

It's kind of fine with cocoon Pokemon as there's a pattern within them, but with the likes of Larvesta->Volcarona (physical to special) or Trumbeak->Toucannon (sweeper to slow glass cannon) it can ruin things, especially if you were relying on level-up moves.

For in-game purposes, there's the matter of Pokemon with dramatically different stat distributions between evolutionary stages.

It's kind of fine with cocoon Pokemon as there's a pattern within them, but with the likes of Larvesta->Volcarona (physical to special) or Trumbeak->Toucannon (sweeper to slow glass cannon) it can ruin things, especially if you were relying on level-up moves.
I agree. Lets change topics since it did become a bit of a loop there. And these changes do tend to bother me too.

My bad for so many comments BTW I like to reply to everyone which does often lead to loops.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Though that's really only an issue in main game. Competitive you'll know which one to use so you'll be able to breed and raise it the way you'll want it to be in the end. The only issue I see with this is in what the Pokemon can learn, if the movepool gets more based on the pre-evolutions movepool than the evolutions then, unless the evolution makes up for it, it's a problem. For example, Pokemon who can use punching moves as their final evolution but not as their pre-evolution. I'm sure Poliwrath would really like more punching moves but since Poliwag doesn't have arms it can't get get many it would probably get from breeding. There are exceptions of course, Shroomish is allowed to get away with punching moves as its evolution uses punching attacks (yet oddly doesn't get Iron Fist); Poliwrath only looks like a puncher though its never specifically said it is (ignoring most of its art shows its hand clenched in a fist, Pokedex is more focused on its swimming prowess... yet doesn't learn Aqua Jet). If you'll excuse me I have a Movepool Oddity to report.

Trumbeak->Toucannon is an annoying case. Like many Pokemon in Alola, they appear to lose speed upon evolution. If this was one or two Pokemon I wouldn't mind, but quite a few Pokemon have gotten the slow down treatment. It's annoying, no other generation has done it to the same extent, and is completely unneeded.

Trumbeak->Toucannon is an annoying case. Like many Pokemon in Alola, they appear to lose speed upon evolution. If this was one or two Pokemon I wouldn't mind, but quite a few Pokemon have gotten the slow down treatment. It's annoying, no other generation has done it to the same extent, and is completely unneeded.
Yeah. I don't know why everything Alolan is so slow. Shame cuz most of them would be decent if it weren't for the terrible speed stat

Y'all gotta stop with this singles-centric mindset. (Yes, I know we are on Smogon, home of the de facto official format for 6v6 Singles.) The slower regional Dex this year is a boon for Trick Room, with full TR thriving to a degree not seen in a while. So it's not all bad.

Y'all gotta stop with this singles-centric mindset. (Yes, I know we are on Smogon, home of the de facto official format for 6v6 Singles.) The slower regional Dex this year is a boon for Trick Room, with full TR thriving to a degree not seen in a while. So it's not all bad.
That part is true but its still pretty ridiculous. And so many are to slow to outspeed any threats but to fast to utilize trickroom without it being to risky (such as making an A-Marowak faster via TR, thus leading to getting swept)

I think there should be more cases like those. Adding (minor) complexity to the overly easy in-game experience isn't a bad thing, and, more importantly, evolution should often entail drastic changes in 'mons and how they operate. A Toucannon whose behavior and strengths have changed is clearly preferable, I think, to a version whose appearance has changed a little but is basically just Trumbeak 2.0, for example.

Yeah, Grubbin -> Charjabug -> Vikavolt was gonna annoy me to no end until I realised I can TM/Heart Scale the useful moves back on (Flash Cannon, Air Slash, Volt Switch).

I evolte my Timid Riolu too early again... now it can't learn Nasty Plot anymore even with Heartscale. You know what is worse? My AS was currupted a few month ago prior to SM release so I don't have access to the regular forms of the Kanto-Mons. So a nice guy evolte his Eggxecute to a regular Exeggutor with Leech Seed. After EV training, I put it into Pokemon Resort to level up. Leech Seed was replaced by Egg Bomb...

I can't let it relearn Leech Seed anymore and worse, if I breed a new one, it can only evolte into its Alolan counterpart.

Speaking of Trick Room, I'm likely to assume they don't have an item that extends it yet is because 5 turns is fine for Doubles?

On another note, I'm still annoyed at the lack of a good Fighting-type move to use Sheer Force with. (In general though Pokemon like Conkeldurr, Toucannon, Braviary, and Hariyama get like no STAB moves to use it with, so its a waste; Who runs Rock Slide Braviary lol)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I evolte my Timid Riolu too early again... now it can't learn Nasty Plot anymore even with Heartscale. You know what is worse? My AS was currupted a few month ago prior to SM release so I don't have access to the regular forms of the Kanto-Mons. So a nice guy evolte his Eggxecute to a regular Exeggutor with Leech Seed. After EV training, I put it into Pokemon Resort to level up. Leech Seed was replaced by Egg Bomb...

I can't let it relearn Leech Seed anymore and worse, if I breed a new one, it can only evolte into its Alolan counterpart.
Yikes, well maybe you can ask someone to trade you a Timid Riolu and Leech Seed Normal Exeggutor?

Though it is annoying that even to this generation they still replace a Pokemon's moves in the leveling up location. We have the Move Relearner, we don't need the leveling up location deciding if a Pokemon should learn a move. It doesn't evolve the Pokemon, so why does it teach them new moves?

Speaking of Trick Room, I'm likely to assume they don't have an item that extends it yet is because 5 turns is fine for Doubles?

On another note, I'm still annoyed at the lack of a good Fighting-type move to use Sheer Force with. (In general though Pokemon like Conkeldurr, Toucannon, Braviary, and Hariyama get like no STAB moves to use it with unless 50% accurate Dynamicpunch is your forte (No Normal or Flying move with a secondary effect (Flying has none of that physically) can be learned by Toucannon or Braviary either so its a waste; Who runs Rock Slide Braviary lol))
Yeah, odd they don't have items to extend the duration of the Rooms when they do for Weather and now the Terrains. Though the question is do they make three different items for each Room (Trick, Magic, & Wonder) like for the Weather or do they make it one item like they did for the Terrains? My guess is probably the latter. Though speaking of such items, why doesn't Light Clay extend Safeguard? I get why not for Lucky Chant and Tailwind, but Safeguard's concept is similar enough to Light Screen, Reflect, and Aurora Veil I think it makes sense.

Huh, odd, Sheer Force's definition of secondary effect seems very limited. Like I'm surprised Brick Break, Cross Chop, Aerial Ace isn't boosted despite having a secondary effect they can lose.

Huh, odd, Sheer Force's definition of secondary effect seems very limited. Like I'm surprised Brick Break, Cross Chop, Aerial Ace isn't boosted despite having a secondary effect they can lose.
Sheer Force removes additional effects only, like stuff that comes after dealing damage. Brick Break is just weird and unique though.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of items that prolong the effect of Rooms, I don't think they will happen. Wonder Room and Magic Room aren't problematic at all (I have yet to see a strategy that utilizes either), but Trick Room is such a game changer that Game Freak wouldn't want to give it any buffs. Lack of Speed is the one aspect that keeps many Pokémon from being laughably broken, and Trick Room turns a Speed deficiency into a great advantage. But Pokémon with low Speed usually have their other stats tuned up accordingly, as if to compensate. Meaning that Trick Room turns a broken-if-not-for-Speed Pokémon into a broken Pokémon with great Speed. Tyranitar, Rhyperior, Gigalith, Mega Abomasnow, Reuniclus, Conkeldurr, Wishiwashi, Aegislash, Mega Aggron... the list goes on. These Pokémon have great offensive stats and decent defenses, and under Trick Room they suddenly outspeed everything too. For some Pokémon, it's the equivalent of adding 100 points to their BST (while similar amounts are deducted from Pokémon which had to sacrifice other stats for a decent Speed). No wonder why Game Freak is reluctant to give any boosts to the Room moves.

I actually wonder whether Game Freak had fully realized the implication of these moves when they were first added. Wonder Room swaps around Defense and Special Defense, which is only situationally useful. Magic Room prevents the use of held items (excluding Mega Stones and Z-Crystals, because heavens forbid if somebody is prevented from using the marketable gimmic in battle), which is a double-edged sword at best. Trick Room lets the slowest Pokémon attack first, which is absurdly powerful in the right situation. Did the designers ever think that the three Room moves would be equally appealing, and equally powerful? Since Trick Room was introduced before the other two, it seems not, but were Wonder Room and Magic Room ever believed to be able to match Trick Room?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I actually wonder whether Game Freak had fully realized the implication of these moves when they were first added. Wonder Room swaps around Defense and Special Defense, which is only situationally useful. Magic Room prevents the use of held items (excluding Mega Stones and Z-Crystals, because heavens forbid if somebody is prevented from using the marketable gimmic in battle), which is a double-edged sword at best. Trick Room lets the slowest Pokémon attack first, which is absurdly powerful in the right situation. Did the designers ever think that the three Room moves would be equally appealing, and equally powerful? Since Trick Room was introduced before the other two, it seems not, but were Wonder Room and Magic Room ever believed to be able to match Trick Room?
I can see the reasoning why they would have though Wonder and Magic would have been useful though at the same time curious how they might have missed some obvious flaws:

Wonder Room: Both offensive and defensive Pokemon usually focus or lean toward the Physical or Special side. If matched, the defensive Pokemon will wall the offensive Pokemon. Wonder Room is a solution for that, switch the defense stats so your offensive Pokemon can stat hitting strong again. Problems: Distribution and finding space for it on a moveset. Distribution is rather shallow, even when the Tutor can teach it. Mainly Special Attackers or Support can learn it so that pretty much limits it to Double Battles if to be used. The final nail in the coffin is that Pokemon can only learn 4 moves and who's gonna waste a moveslot on a move the user most likely can't use for itself or has much better options & strategies. Better to focus on making sure your team has synergy, being able to hit on both Physical and Special sides, than relying on a gimmick that takes a turn to set up each time you want to switch the defense stats.

Magic Room: Items are a major part of many strategies so deactivating them could really hinder or even devastate a team. Problem: Magic Room is a double-edge sword. You also can't use items which puts you back on an even playing field which you were already on when both could use items. Maybe it would have had a place if it could stop Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, but it can't, so there goes that possible use for it.

Trick Room is the perfect room move as its something you can easily make it so you're the sole benefactor and, as you pointed out, the designers didn't consider as the points they didn't put into Speed all went to making other stats higher to compensate... and Trick Room makes them them fast again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 11)