(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The ability Stall. In a fangame I caught a Sableye with stall, and stall really sucks. It's so annoying watching my Sableye slowly die to pokemon that it could take out in one hit, making me have to run to a pokemon center more often. I'm currently trying to find a mega stone or ability capsule to use on my Sableye however both items are rare and up to chance. Sableye is the only pokemon with stall but yet it isn't Sableye's only ability which just makes it worse. Why do only some Sableye have stall? What is the reasoning behind any Sableye having stall?
You know what else should get Stall as an ability? Slakoth and Slaking. Sure, it’ll still be a detrimental ability, but it’s got to be worlds better for their viability than Truant, plus it still fits with their ‘powerful but lazy’ motif. Besides, Slaking at least probably has the (physical) bulk to make it work (and it can use Assault Vest or something to patch up its SpD)

Regigas would appreciate stall a little better than slow start though I'd imagine it'll be inviting its enemies to burn it even harder.

One thing I really hate in terms of design would be the fairly frequent depiction of birds with one wing sticking out. It doesn't look cool. Forcing birds into an anatomically awkward position to make a "cool" salute looks stupid. Farfetch'd gets some leeway as I feel it's humanoid enough to have free arms, and maybe Decidueye, but not for Pidove or Honchkrow. Just imagine Salamence or Skarmory trying to do that stupid salute with its wings, that's how dumb and awkward it is.

The only time you should see a bird with one wing out is when it's stretching, but even so, the pose isn't like these birds.

But if they make the birds look intentionally ridiculous, that's fine for me.

Last edited:
To be honest, "cartoon birds use their wings as hands to various degrees" is just one of those things you gotta get used to.

Just imagine Salamence or Skarmory trying to do that stupid salute with its wings, that's how dumb and awkward it is.
That would be dumb and awkward for completely different reasons, namely that their wings don't make any goddamn sense. It's not a coincidence they're in the "flying Pokemon whose 3D models just sort of hang in midair" club.

Sure, I tolerate using wings as hands, but I just don't like them as a pose from "birdish" birds. Those more "birdish" birds never look all that natural and comfortable when they have one wing out, like a wing was stitched to their bodies, and an easy photoshop that removes that stuck-out wing usually improves the design. Skarmory, you can suspend your disbelief at its ridiculous wings, but Pidove looking like an invisible human hand stretching out its wing to clip its feathers (like what I do when I clip my birds' wings), it's just jarring. Anyhow, Articuno would look dumb saluting and its wings are more believable, same with Ho-Oh.

One thing I really hate in terms of design would be the fairly frequent depiction of birds with one wing sticking out. It doesn't look cool. Forcing birds into an anatomically awkward position to make a "cool" salute looks stupid. Farfetch'd gets some leeway as I feel it's humanoid enough to have free arms, and maybe Decidueye, but not for Pidove or Honchkrow. Just imagine Salamence or Skarmory trying to do that stupid salute with its wings, that's how dumb and awkward it is.
Is this better?

Put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees in tight

Pikachu315111

JAPE Judge!
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
The less Pikachus in the planet, the better, so ....

edit: sorry Pikachu315111 :psycry:
It's alright, I was just joking. :bloblul:

I don't think they're doing a "cool" salute, I think it's GF wanting to show what the inside of their wings look like.

Is this better?

View attachment 170183
Put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees in tight
Of course, the wings don't look like they're stretched in a way as I described above.

Eh, these are hands that allow this bird to inexplicably fly.

I don't think they're doing a "cool" salute, I think it's GF wanting to show what the inside of their wings look like.
They could be just flying at an angle if people really want to see some nice bird armpit ;P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)