(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

To be honest, "cartoon birds use their wings as hands to various degrees" is just one of those things you gotta get used to.

Just imagine Salamence or Skarmory trying to do that stupid salute with its wings, that's how dumb and awkward it is.
That would be dumb and awkward for completely different reasons, namely that their wings don't make any goddamn sense. It's not a coincidence they're in the "flying Pokemon whose 3D models just sort of hang in midair" club.

Sure, I tolerate using wings as hands, but I just don't like them as a pose from "birdish" birds. Those more "birdish" birds never look all that natural and comfortable when they have one wing out, like a wing was stitched to their bodies, and an easy photoshop that removes that stuck-out wing usually improves the design. Skarmory, you can suspend your disbelief at its ridiculous wings, but Pidove looking like an invisible human hand stretching out its wing to clip its feathers (like what I do when I clip my birds' wings), it's just jarring. Anyhow, Articuno would look dumb saluting and its wings are more believable, same with Ho-Oh.

One thing I really hate in terms of design would be the fairly frequent depiction of birds with one wing sticking out. It doesn't look cool. Forcing birds into an anatomically awkward position to make a "cool" salute looks stupid. Farfetch'd gets some leeway as I feel it's humanoid enough to have free arms, and maybe Decidueye, but not for Pidove or Honchkrow. Just imagine Salamence or Skarmory trying to do that stupid salute with its wings, that's how dumb and awkward it is.
Is this better?

Put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees in tight

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The less Pikachus in the planet, the better, so ....

edit: sorry Pikachu315111 :psycry:
It's alright, I was just joking. :bloblul:

One thing I really hate in terms of design would be the fairly frequent depiction of birds with one wing sticking out. It doesn't look cool. Forcing birds into an anatomically awkward position to make a "cool" salute looks stupid. Farfetch'd gets some leeway as I feel it's humanoid enough to have free arms, and maybe Decidueye, but not for Pidove or Honchkrow. Just imagine Salamence or Skarmory trying to do that stupid salute with its wings, that's how dumb and awkward it is.
I don't think they're doing a "cool" salute, I think it's GF wanting to show what the inside of their wings look like.

Is this better?

View attachment 170183
Put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees in tight
Of course, the wings don't look like they're stretched in a way as I described above.

Eh, these are hands that allow this bird to inexplicably fly.

I don't think they're doing a "cool" salute, I think it's GF wanting to show what the inside of their wings look like.
They could be just flying at an angle if people really want to see some nice bird armpit ;P

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Recently playing through Bravely Second had me realize something really stupid about the Pokédex: the limited means of acquiring information you have.
Not the information itself, mind you, even though that part could be improved as well. I mean how you collect Pokédex information.

When do you get info on a Pokémon through the Dex? Once when you first battle one, then once more when you catch one. And after that, everything's set in stone.
I find the Bravely series' enemy info much better implemented: you get additional info at certain thresholds. Typically it'll be a bit of info when you first encounter an enemy, then every ~2-3 of this kind of enemy defeated you'll get more, up to 4 times.

This in Pokémon would be really interesting but also promote catching more than 1 Pokémon of the same species. This in turn would fix the big problem (that was already touched upon here iirc) of "why the fudge do every Pokémon of the same species have the exact same characteristics, notably height and weight?". When catching multiples of the same Pokémon, you could get, instead of a fixed height, a range, maybe even depending on what you caught (or just make the range fixed as well, doesn't matter much).

All in all, I'm in for more expansive Dex entries, at least for the National Dex.

This in Pokémon would be really interesting but also promote catching more than 1 Pokémon of the same species. This in turn would fix the big problem (that was already touched upon here iirc) of "why the fudge do every Pokémon of the same species have the exact same characteristics, notably height and weight?". When catching multiples of the same Pokémon, you could get, instead of a fixed height, a range, maybe even depending on what you caught (or just make the range fixed as well, doesn't matter much).
Let's Go does just that.

Oh, then maybe they'll keep that in future games!
How exactly does it implement that?
One of the only ways to train Pokemon is by chain-catching the same specie. The longer the chain, the more EXP your Pokemon get, and the better IV the caught Pokemon is. Of course, wild Pokemon fleeing is a thing in this disaster of a game, and that can break your chain.

Recently playing through Bravely Second had me realize something really stupid about the Pokédex: the limited means of acquiring information you have.
Not the information itself, mind you, even though that part could be improved as well. I mean how you collect Pokédex information.

When do you get info on a Pokémon through the Dex? Once when you first battle one, then once more when you catch one. And after that, everything's set in stone.
I find the Bravely series' enemy info much better implemented: you get additional info at certain thresholds. Typically it'll be a bit of info when you first encounter an enemy, then every ~2-3 of this kind of enemy defeated you'll get more, up to 4 times.

All in all, I'm in for more expansive Dex entries, at least for the National Dex.
Honestly the Pokedex needs a massive redesign. Like give it actually a useful function aside from cries, models , and useless bios. That's interesting that Ultra Necrozma can shoot lasers that melt everything, but it has no truth in game whatsoever ever. What it really needs is something like Pokedex 3D Pro: Gives the level up moves, Stats, and abilities. Heck, even wikis like Bulbapedia and Serbia have more data on these specifics than the game itself. It would also give a bit more desire to complete the Pokedex . A shiny Charm is nice, but its not worth catching every Pokemon for most players.

Oh, then maybe they'll keep that in future games!
How exactly does it implement that?
In the Pokédex you can see the lowest and highest height and weight among individuals of a species you've owned at some point.

It still keeps the old Height and Weight stats (which are shown when getting a new species, or for weight-affected moves), which are more implied to be an average value.

this is all gen 3, RSE btw

Releasing a Pokemon is painfully slow. It takes about 3-4 seconds, and when I'm releasing a box full of newly-hatched Slakoths, and there's 30 Slakoths in said box, it takes at least a minute for the release animations alone.

When I'm in the contest hall at Lilycove and I'm spamming the A button to skip the receptionist's dialogue, I often accidentally spam too hard and accidentally select the Lvl 1 Coolness contest and then reach the Pokemon select screen (which is a lot easier than it sounds). Once you're on said Pokemon select screen, it's impossible to get out, so I'll have to enter a random Pokemon I have in my party and go through the entire contest to get out. The entire, 10 minute contest. jesus christ.

When you runaway from a Pokemon or an animation that tints the screen a different color is activated (like Leech Seed), for some reason the opposing Pokemon's shadow disappears for a few seconds. This has annoyed me since I was a kid,because like, why does it disappear?? Is it really that hard to include the Pokemon's shadow as a background element, so that it doesn't need to disappear when the screen is tinted a different color?? This is super minor but it gets me every. single. time.

Backpacks are f r u s t r a t i n g. They're poorly organized, and a lot of items that should be key items (like the colored flutes) are just items. Not to mention hold items and medicine items should've been separated from the rest of the items, because having them all in one category, "items", it means that my backpack fills up often and it's hard to find specific items.

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
this is all gen 3 btw

Releasing a Pokemon is painfully slow. It takes about 3-4 seconds, and when I'm releasing a box full of newly-hatched Slakoths, and there's 30 Slakoths in said box, it takes at least a minute for the release animations alone.

When I'm in the contest hall at Lilycove and I'm spamming the A button to skip the receptionist's dialogue, I often accidentally spam too hard and accidentally select the Lvl 1 Coolness contest and then reach the Pokemon select screen (which is a lot easier than it sounds). Once you're on said Pokemon select screen, it's impossible to get out, so I'll have to enter a random Pokemon I have in my party and go through the entire contest to get out. The entire, 10 minute contest. jesus christ.

When you runaway from a Pokemon or an animation that tints the screen a different color is activated (like Leech Seed), for some reason the opposing Pokemon's shadow disappears for a few seconds. This has annoyed me since I was a kid,because like, why does it disappear?? Is it really that hard to include the Pokemon's shadow as a background element, so that it doesn't need to disappear when the screen is tinted a different color?? This is super minor but it gets me every. single. time.

Backpacks are f r u s t r a t i n g. They're poorly organized, and a lot of items that should be key items (like the colored flutes) are just items. Not to mention hold items and medicine items should've been separated from the rest of the items, because having them all in one category, "items", it means that my backpack fills up often and it's hard to find specific items.
Sounds like somebody needs to work on their patience.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sounds like somebody needs to work on their patience.
Eh, they could make things faster.

With releasing Pokemon it should be instant after the re-confirming, but before they do they show this animation of the Pokemon's menu sprite shrinking out the existence. Why? It's not like you can stop it so there's no reason spending any extra time on it, even if its a few seconds. Also, since you're releasing the Pokemon, I don't think you had any strong connection with it anyway (maybe in a nuzlocke but those aren't officially supported and a lot of players instead prefer to make a box into a "graveyard"). Not helped that you need to release each Pokemon one-by-one. Now obviously this is meant to prevent any chance of accidentally releasing a Pokemon you didn't mean too... but maybe that's a bit of an over precaution. I see no problem having a "Release Mode" that gives you a box that any Pokemon you put in it are deleted released. Heck, that's exactly what they did with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee! You can mass release Pokemon to the Professor, there's no drawn out release scene, and in those games you're rewarded for doing so by getting stat increasing candy! Not saying they should have the "releasing to the Professor for candy" feature, but if they allow you to easily mass release there why not in the main games?

On a similar note would also like them to do this learning new moves. Yes, I guess the "1... 2... 3... POOF!" text is cute, but I'd rather just get a move on. Like with releasing you can't stop the move replacing so there's no need for the text to be drawn out.

And I think someone else mentioned how they could probably find a way to make multiple level ups and evolution faster. Sure, when playing through the main story they do give player a sense of accomplishment watching that experience bar increase or their Pokemon changing from one form to a stronger. But post game (or post-post game once you're done with every little story bit) when you're starting to fill out the dex and possibly training up a competitive team would be nice to just be told the level increase without the bar (only stopping if the Pokemon is learning a new move) or evolving without the pomp and circumstance. A small option on the Option Menu is all that's needed (or a (combination of) button press(es)).

But back to MyNameIsLouise post, a receptionist who gives you an option to enter a competition (be it Contests, Battle Tower-expy, etc..) should get to the point by having the option menu the first thing that pop-ups after the first time speaking with them. If for some reason you want to talk to them again or they tell you about your score they can have as an option on the menu. But, don't see why you went through the whole 10 minute contest, why not turn on and off the game? Now the game should have an option to drop out of the competition, though if it doesn't a soft reset if way faster.

Gen V in my opinion had the best backpacks but they backtracked in the next gens (mostly due to the introduction of Mega Stone and Z-Crystals) and it's frustrating. At the moment I think the ideal backpack menu would look like this:

(MAIN CATEGORY > Sub Category > Sub Sub Category)
ITEMS:
Battle Items:
X Items​
Type-enhancing Items (Miracle Seed, Charcoal, Mystic Water, etc.)​
EV-enhancing​
Gems​
Mega Stones (including Colored Orbs)​
Z-Crystals​
Plates​
Drives​
Memories​
Repels/Lures
Evolution Stones
Valuables (Heart Scales, Shards, Nuggets, Pearls, Stardust/Piece, Comet Shard, Mushrooms, Shoal Items, Pretty Wing, Rare Bone, Relics, Bottle Caps)
Fossils
Incenses
Apricorns
Scarves
MEDICINE:
Potions/Full Restore
Status Healers/Revives
Ethers/Elixirs
Vitamins/Rare Candy/Wings
Herbal Medicine
Food (Drinks, Full Heal Treats)
POKE BALLS
TMs/HMs
BERRIES
:

All (Shows all the Berries in numerical order)
Status Curing (Cheri, Chesto, Pecha, Rawst, Aspear, Leppa, Persim, Lum)
Healing (Oran, Sitrus, Figy, Wiki, Mago, Aguav, Iapapa)
EV Lowering (Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, Tomato)
Type Weakening (Occaa, Passho, Wacan, Rindo, Yache, Chople, Kebia, Shuca, Coba, Payapa, Tanga, Charti, Kasib, Haban, Colbur, Babiri, Chilan, Roseli)
Pinch (Liechi, Ganlon, Salac, Petaya, Apicot, Lansat, Starf, Enigma, Micle, Custap)
Reflex (Jaboca, Rowap, Kee, Maranga)
Flavors: (In games where that's important)
Spicy​
Dry​
Sweet​
Bitter​
Sour​
KEY ITEMS:
Trainer Tools (Pokedex, Assisting Device (Gear, Nav, Poketch, C-Gear, Holo Caster, etc.), Bicycle, Fishing Rod, Running Shoes, Exp Share, Key Stone, Z-Ring, any item that would be useful to the player)
Important (Key Items important to the main plot like key cards & Legendary artifacts)
FREE SPACE

But back to MyNameIsLouise post, a receptionist who gives you an option to enter a competition (be it Contests, Battle Tower-expy, etc..) should get to the point by having the option menu the first thing that pop-ups after the first time speaking with them. If for some reason you want to talk to them again or they tell you about your score they can have as an option on the menu. But, don't see why you went through the whole 10 minute contest, why not turn on and off the game? Now the game should have an option to drop out of the competition, though if it doesn't a soft reset if way faster.
I tried to exit out of the Pokemon select menu but pressing the B button doesn't do anything. Anyways, if I were to turn the game on and off, I'd be back where I last saved, which could be hours ago, because 1-player contests don't save your game before they begin.

Also no way to drop out for some reason. womp womp.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I have my own minor thing to complain about. Why on Earth can Gothitelle be male?! It has loads of bows, a dress, pink lips, everything! So, shouldn't it have a 100% chance of being female?! I swear, it may be little, but still though, it annoys me...

The main thing that annoys me is replaying earlier gens and very obviously noticing the lack of certain features that exist in future games. I was recently replaying Black/White to find out that repels don't ask to be used again like they do in Black/White 2.

This also makes things like HM's even more tedious than they used to be since Gen 7 removed them with a much better feature.

Pokemon aren't humans and therefore don't follow human gender standards and also it's rather outdated and sexist to equate femininity with bows/dress/lipstick etc
It really annoys me that this has to be an unpopular opinion, but seriously, why do people keep on applying human standards on what actually are animals?

For instance, Primarina.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
It really annoys me that this has to be an unpopular opinion, but seriously, why do people keep on applying human standards on what actually are animals?

For instance, Primarina.
Likely because they were made by humans in the first place, to have features that emulate humans.

No actual stance on the issue though

Reactions: BP

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Pokemon aren't humans and therefore don't follow human gender standards and also it's rather outdated and sexist to equate femininity with bows/dress/lipstick etc
Then I guess I'm fucking sexsist, because 40% of the YouTubers videos I watch have complained about a Pokemons gender and it making no sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)