(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

That's fair, although I'd argue that that raises some separate, equally troubling questions haha.

We're told by characters in the region that the bell's sound differs depending on the person ringing it, so either it's just like a confidence game/psychic reading thing where it's all in your head and an authoritative third party can just infer whatever they like depending on your vibe (in which case there's a lot of potential for exploitation), or there's actual random variance in how the bell sounds (in which case people who get unlucky have been condemned by a bell for no reason).
I mean...yeah? That's usually how these things go. Test of character and heart and all that, cold/hot reading, blah blah blah. If a jerk hit the bell, it'd probably be pretty obvious their a jerk to begin with and they'd probably mess up the bell so it'd sound discordant. "Wow the bell says you're an asshole, crazy." But if a rambunctious, but otherwise fine kid hit the bell really hard in the same way to make the same sound they'd probably go "you're such an active kid, but be careful okay?" or whatever.

I mean it's a work of fiction so of course it's right on the money and presented very mysteriously and meant ot be taken as a literal reflection of our character, but it's likely not a literal magic bell

Why is Sneasler its own Pokemon and not just Hisuian Weavile?

Runerigus, Perrserker, Kleavor, I understand those. Their designs go in pretty different directions than the Cofagrigus, Persian, and Scizor, and their stats are also pretty different. But Sneasler's stats are almost identical to Weavile's, and while base Weavile isn't long enough to carry a human on its back, they could have just made Long Weavile instead of Long Sneasel. They already made Long Lilligant.

461Weavile.png

Runerigus, Perrserker, Kleavor, I understand those. Their designs go in pretty different directions than the Cofagrigus, Persian, and Scizor, and their stats are also pretty different. But Sneasler's stats are almost identical to Weavile's, and while base Weavile isn't long enough to carry a human on its back, they could have just made Long Weavile instead of Long Sneasel. They already made Long Lilligant.

View attachment 419921
Why are you including Kleavor on that list? It's not a regional evo it's just a new evolution branch for regular Scyther.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

View attachment 419921
I 100% agree with your points

However the fact Sneasler's japanese name is literally just "Large Sneasel" will forever be hilarious to me and that validates the mon in my eyes

Because they could have did what they did with Cubone, Mime Jr, and Goomy and had a Hisuian Scizor that evolves from a regular Scyther, but they made a new Pokemon instead.
Kleavor isn't meant to be a regional form though, its just a new evolution branch introduced in later gen. You know like Bellossom, Politoed, Slowking, Gallade, Froslass, or the myriad of other cross-gen evos that aren't branched. It isn't meant to be a Hisuian Scizor equivalent.

Kleavor isn't meant to be a regional form though, its just a new evolution branch introduced in later gen. You know like Bellossom, Politoed, Slowking, Gallade, Froslass, or the myriad of other cross-gen evos that aren't branched. It isn't meant to be a Hisuian Scizor equivalent.
I know.

You are being pedantic about something that is not that important to the point of my post.

Please stop.

While I was writing some response up in the Tier List forum, I just reminded myself of something.

So, I've not actually finished BDSP despite day 1 buying cause I had busy times and was saving it for my trip to my parents. During said trip, I picked it up and... man I **really** hate the "classic pokemon" UI and combat UI.

After playing Legends Arceus, it really shows how much bullshit we have been putting up with when it comes to slow paced battles.

In Legend Arceus, from the moment you start a fight to the moment you can input your first command, it's barely a handful seconds: send pokemon, short animation for enemy pokemon plays, and you're straight into it.
Do an attack? Outside of the Style animation, the pokemon goes istantly, with any status message quickly flying over.
Battle over? Right back in the action, with all leveling happening on the side in a couple seconds, and just a quick prompt "btw your pokemon can learn a move / evolve", which you can do in your menu at any time.

BDSP?... Ughhhh... from the start of the encounter to your first input, it takes over a minute: animation for random encounter / NPC sighting you -> trainers show off to each other -> enemy pokemon animation -> your trainer throwing the pokeball -> pokemon getting out and doing its short entry animation.
Firing an attack? You have to sit through upwards of 7-8 messages.. why do i need a separate message that i have to confirm individually to know that my hit was supereffective, that a stat has increased, that another stat has increased, that something else also happened, and repeat same for my opponent, upwards of 1 minute per single move if there's also stuff like weather or status or terrain... or a combo of them.
And... I beat the pokemon? My Pokemon gains experience! Every pokemon levels up, one by one, and also every pokemon that may have learned a move is now asking me if I want to replace a move, yeah why should i be keeping Tackle instead of Flamethrower again?

I really really hope the gen 9 games import the slick battle transitions from Arceus. After playing it, I don't think I can stand the "classic" Pokemon pacing anymore.
It just hurts.

The fact you HAVE to press L/R to cycle boxes in PLA, instead of also being able to just put your cursor on the box name and press left or right. Also the fact the box list has to box icons and preview mirrored from every other Pokémon game with it. And the fact there's no warp spot next to it.

Saint's Row dropped their customization trailer today, and man is it obvious how behind the times Pokemon is. I'm not expecting this series to be as over the top as that, obviously, but stuff like gender-locked hair, version-locked colors, 2 total body types, minimal variety, one color choice per article of clothing, bad preview options, no ability to save a look...Pokemon's customization right now would have been considered overly limited in 2006.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Why did Gen 8 add so many unnecessary evolution items. Like, Gen 4 is the one most known for adding a lot of new evos and somehow SwSh added more "No in-batle effect, just here for evolving this one mon" kind of items.

Gen 4:
:porygon-z: Dubious Disc
:Electivire: Electirizer
:magmortar: Magmarizer
:chansey: Oval Stone
:rhyperior: Protector
:dusknoir: Reaper Cloth
:weavile: Razor Claw*
:gliscor: Razor Fang*

*They don't fully count because they at least have in-battle effects

Gen 8:
:slowbro-galar: Galarica Cuff (Adding Galarica Twig in the process)
:slowking-galar: Galarica Wreath (Adding Galarica Twig in the process)
:sinistea: Chipped Pot
:sinistea: Cracked Pot
:flapple: Tart Apple
:appletun: Sweet Apple
:alcremie: Strawberry Sweet
:alcremie: Love Sweet
:alcremie: Berry Sweet
:alcremie: Clover Sweet
:alcremie: Flower Sweet
:alcremie: Star Sweet
:alcremie: Ribbon Sweet

And if you want to count Legends as Gen 8...

:scyther: Black Augurite
:ursaring: Peat Block

Sure its only technically more because of Alcremie, but even that aside. Did we seriously need six individual items, that are very flavour-coded to their respective lines (Thus can't be used for future mons like Stones), work exactly like a Stone would, all for half as many lines? One of these for a cosmetic form change that is basically unnoticeable? Was there really no other way to handle Alcremie's form change that didn't bloat items? (Should have worked something like Furfrou where you just go to a place and they change the Sweet or something).

I can forgive Kleavor and Ursaluna at least for that game being a bit more limited in how mons evolve (And can somewhat be understandeable as they're simple paralells to Scizor's Metal Coat and Rhyperior's Protector) and their items being still not that flavour-specific so there's a possibility for future mons to also evolve from these items if needed.

Really don't like how this adds to a sort of item bloat where there's just a ton of items needed to be in a game because of one specific mon or something like that. I feel all these evos could have been done differently without losing much (Or in the case of Sinistea, just remove the separate form altogether, its really stupid lmao)

Gonna be real I don't think we're ever going to get these old items reused for other purposes, regardless of how very specific they are. Like the Peat Block; I'd be stunned if anything other than Ursaring ever used it to evolve.

To my recollection, the only evolution items of any type that got used for multiple Pokemon after thier initial generation are the evolution stones (including the ice stone, which is nice). And even within their own generation, Metal Coat & King's Rock are the only other ones used for multiple Pokemon at all.

They probably could have been done with other methods pretty easily (berries were a good idea) but gamefreak just wanted to be cute about it. "What if Alcremie had different accessories, like real cakes? -> What if Milcery holds it when it evolves! -> Let's make a bunch of small items for it to hold and then have in its hair!!" "We want an "authentic/phony" gimmick -> oh that would probably want different pots!" etc etc etc. Adding new items like this is probably pretty low cost (even lower now that they can just use global link artwork) and bringing them forward probabyl the most effortless part of development, so if they have the option to they probably don't care that much other than ~The [arbitrary] Flavor~
Item Bloat only really matters in the sense of its fucking annoying digging through the bag but tbh that could be mroe easily resolved with just....significantly better bag options.

Also if we're going to judge this fully we need to push gen 4 against the locker more because in addition to the items you listed above, there's also the 7! incenses to breed the babies

The actual bad thing about all these items is gamefreak likes to make them needlessly rare. I don't really care that there's 2 pots to evolve Sinistea, I care significantly more about the fact the only way to get the item out side of the one (1) freebie is by random chance or very careful usage of the crammomatic (which itself can also still be random)

While I was writing some response up in the Tier List forum, I just reminded myself of something.

So, I've not actually finished BDSP despite day 1 buying cause I had busy times and was saving it for my trip to my parents. During said trip, I picked it up and... man I **really** hate the "classic pokemon" UI and combat UI.

After playing Legends Arceus, it really shows how much bullshit we have been putting up with when it comes to slow paced battles.

In Legend Arceus, from the moment you start a fight to the moment you can input your first command, it's barely a handful seconds: send pokemon, short animation for enemy pokemon plays, and you're straight into it.
Do an attack? Outside of the Style animation, the pokemon goes istantly, with any status message quickly flying over.
Battle over? Right back in the action, with all leveling happening on the side in a couple seconds, and just a quick prompt "btw your pokemon can learn a move / evolve", which you can do in your menu at any time.

BDSP?... Ughhhh... from the start of the encounter to your first input, it takes over a minute: animation for random encounter / NPC sighting you -> trainers show off to each other -> enemy pokemon animation -> your trainer throwing the pokeball -> pokemon getting out and doing its short entry animation.
Firing an attack? You have to sit through upwards of 7-8 messages.. why do i need a separate message that i have to confirm individually to know that my hit was supereffective, that a stat has increased, that another stat has increased, that something else also happened, and repeat same for my opponent, upwards of 1 minute per single move if there's also stuff like weather or status or terrain... or a combo of them.
And... I beat the pokemon? My Pokemon gains experience! Every pokemon levels up, one by one, and also every pokemon that may have learned a move is now asking me if I want to replace a move, yeah why should i be keeping Tackle instead of Flamethrower again?

I really really hope the gen 9 games import the slick battle transitions from Arceus. After playing it, I don't think I can stand the "classic" Pokemon pacing anymore.
It just hurts.
It gets me that Stadium when you get multiple boosts it simply does one "stats raise" prompt
....yet Main games it's "we must delay and go through each stat specified"
Even no brainer stuff like doubles hp bars draining all at once for whatever reason was one at a time in MG until Gen 5, but PBR did it at once
Just...why not be like most RPGs that have stat marks on the hp gauge?

LA is a modified SWSH engine so I imagine SV will further modify that as a basis, I can see the faster messaging system carrying over (perhaps improved?)
All I have to say is

"Prayge"

You know what I think, "every other company would logically do this, but GF doesn't do logic".

Well, maybe the huge sales of L.A. will at least hint them at trying to find the very strong improvements the game did... and... they surely won't end up picking the bad ones... will they...

All I have to say is

"Prayge"

You know what I think, "every other company would logically do this, but GF doesn't do logic".

Well, maybe the huge sales of L.A. will at least hint them at trying to find the very strong improvements the game did... and... they surely won't end up picking the bad ones... will they...
with posts like this sometimes i hope they pick the worst of both worlds out of spite

You know I'm one of the biggest GameFreaks apologists in history and yet even I sometimes have to question any belief in them :(
My """""belief"""""""""" comes from the fact that SV appares to be continuing off the at least partial mold of LA at this juncture. If that's so, then the messaging system would likely also carry over just as matter of reuse. It's not that outlandish to put out there

If it doesn't then it just means they forked it off SWSH likely around the same time they started LA development, which is about as valid a method of code reuse for developers to use. In which case, oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)