(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I don't think that card is meant to be showing off a move at all. It's just Samurott standing, menacingly, behind the Snorunt.
The implications of the alt art card is that H. Samurott is about to unleash Night Slash/ commit a crossroad killing on an unsuspecting Snorunt under the cover of night, shown with the moon's reflection beneath the text at the bottom. I guess I should mention that H. Samurott learns Night Slash naturally as opposed to Unova Samurott having it as an Egg Move. The regular H.Samurott Vstar is much more standard in comparison.
HisuianSamurottVSTARAstralRadiance102.jpg

Last edited:
The implications of the alt art card is that H. Samurott is about to unleash Night Slash/ commit a crossroad killing on an unsuspecting Snorunt under the cover of night, shown with the moon's reflection beneath the text at the bottom. I guess I should mention that H. Samurott learns Night Slash naturally as opposed to Unova Samurott having it as an Egg Move. The regular H.Samurott Vstar is much more standard in comparison.
View attachment 469907
Kinda annoyed how...flat textured that model is
The particles are fine, but the mon model...

Every single discussion of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet must always bring up performance issues! It's not like they are the biggest dead horse ever in regard to the new games, we just gotta keep bringing it up because the new games are always "one step forward five billion steps back" amirite? The game does this and that right but no, because there some frame rate drops that automatically means the game is bad and not worth playing.

s/

It's the most tired argument ever, even moreso than the "SWSH bad" take (which I honestly think that game deserves and I wasn't bothered by stuff like Dexit or trees). SV are not flawless for sure, but it's a darn better effort than the utterly generic SWSH.

The annoying point to me is that it's at the point of the technical problems, valid or not, being interjected as a "WELL ACTUALLY" when discussing aspects of the game that aren't strictly related to them like the story structure or the new Pokemon. Please show there is something to add to the conversation isntead of showing how smart you are for noticing the technical problems everyone has seen.

I remembered one.

Signature Abilities being locked to HAs.

I get that a lot of them are strong, but it's just horrible to deal with that. Those are supposed to be signatures. Unique abilities to set a mon apart.
It's always so up in the air too.
Like sometimes they're locked to a hidden ability like Flamigo's Costar, but then Klawf & Nacli they're just one of two normal abilities and their HA is just a third, other ability.

I suppose the easy answer is despite all our arguing they sometimes just see the ability as another aspect of the Pokemon that happens to be unique, and just decide on whims how available said ability will be.

Having beaten every story in Scarlet & Violet, including the postgame... nobody uses held items. At all. Except for
AI Professor Sada/Turo's ace Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant having a Booster Energy. One Pokémon. Out of hundreds.

Even during
the Academy Ace Tournament. Which is postgame.

In the game where they're so readily available that you can buy them in the first town you visit.

This annoys me to no end, mostly because I was hoping BDSP allowing trainers who matter to use held items would continue into Scarlet & Violet. Maybe that's just me having unreasonable expectations, but it still bugs me.

Also, while I'm being annoyed by Scarlet & Violet,
the Gym Leaders can't be rematched after the first battle? And I can't rematch the Elite Four ever? Really?

Having beaten every story in Scarlet & Violet, including the postgame... nobody uses held items. At all. Except for
AI Professor Sada/Turo's ace Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant having a Booster Energy. One Pokémon. Out of hundreds.

Even during

In the game where they're so readily available that you can buy them in the first town you visit.

This annoys me to no end, mostly because I was hoping BDSP allowing trainers who matter to use held items would continue into Scarlet & Violet. Maybe that's just me having unreasonable expectations, but it still bugs me.

the Gym Leaders can't be rematched after the first battle? And I can't rematch the Elite Four ever? Really?
There are a very very very small handful of "elite" trainers that use items. Like the businessman near Titan Klawf who has a Leftovers.

And yeah it's a shame even post game doesn't really have them used. Though I suppose that's not really new, i think gen 5 was the last time that was really a thing outside of BDSP which is (in this one hyper specific instance) doing its own thing.

Actually boss trainers dont even use normal items anymore. I am....lukewarm on that, since most of the time the heals fell more on the "annoyance" sid than the "this is an issue" side 90% of the time. But it does feel odd.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I really hate how the games have "the grind" that seems to exist purely to wall off being able to do optimized PVP.

I know that's weird coming from a Final Fantasy XIV player, but at least in FFXIV the biggest grinds basically exist as time killers that give you items for glamours. You don't have to opt in for it to enjoy the best parts of the game. Plus the Savage content grind for better gear also has a feedback loop where getting the gear makes it easier to do more Savage content and farm for your off classes so they do more damage in casual stuff. Also, you're actually doing content that requires skill and effort.

In Pokémon, you have to do a whole lot of bullshit just to get a single Mon ready for competitive play and you can't conveniently edit their stats or movesets once you're done. I remember trying to breed a single HP Fire Protean Greninja with a 0 (or maybe 30 idk) Attack IV and the correct nature (probably Timid) back during X and Y, and it took me fucking hours because the stars have to align even when you do optimal breeding stuff. And this doesn't even include having run around in circles to collect and hatch all those goddamn eggs.

The games have admittedly made this easier over the years with things like Bottle Caps and I know some people find the whole process oddly therapeutic, but the core of the grind is still fucking there and it's why I don't want to play the games on cart any more. Why put in the effort when I can just open Showdown and play a quick match there.

Last edited:

Even during

The lack of items during the main game just sucks.

One of the best things about Plat was that everyone was strong, even though they didn't use items either. The power level in general was pretty high for both sides. Of course, since they didn't really use items, there was a point where the player clearly overtook them, but them's the breaks.

Now the player has a LOT of power very early and I'm not entirely convinced the games actually keep up with them.

BDSP was a step too far in both directions because affection is bs and Leaders with optimized mons when you don't have access to even basic training tools like the Power Items and Mints are messed up.

Now the player has a LOT of power very early and I'm not entirely convinced the games actually keep up with them.
Yeah we definitely do. ESPECIALLY with Stone evos. I thought SV was pretty hard though.

I can’t believe we are in a world where Wigglytuff is usable in SV. You evolve early, have Play Rough / Body Slam / Hyper Voice, it’s finally not outclassed in the earlygame by Clefairy and isn’t too late to matter like XY. It is glorious.

BDSP was a step too far in both directions because affection is bs and Leaders with optimized mons when you don't have access to even basic training tools like the Power Items and Mints are messed up.
I'm gonna be honest, the "optimized EVs mons" of BDSP, even without affection....
The EVs start mattering significantly less because you, too, are also picking up EVs the entire game. Yeah they'll be optimal and you won't be, but it has a way of evening out because your whack ass ev spread means you're probably an all-rounder. Gen 7 ALSO had (relatively optimal-ish) EVs on boss trainers and even if they had Optimal Moves & Items (TM) it didn't matter too much. Likewise BDSP's post game trainers, even when your levels are close so they get to flex on you more, they still don't require optimization from you

Like yeah Gardenia's rematch got a cool sun sweep team with full optimization: I swept her with a Rapidash even without hitting affection boosts or being massively overleveled. The extra punch they had, or the extra bulk, or the extra speed, ultimately zeroed out even with my rando EV spread.

Cynthia was a tough nut, but she's always been a tough nut. The real issue for me was her Miltoic and most of that was on the back of the Flame Orb not the defensive spread it got; everyone else's items were kind of whatever, even the Yache berry Garchomp. Even if it had 0 EVs it was still not going to be a 2 hit KO and my team was less than ideal to use against it anyway so I reached for Ol' Reliable (item spam for 20 minutes until it ran out of ice beams so i could stubbornly use cherrim). It was....certainly nostalgic in that way.

To be honest I think they wouldn't need to make "optimized EV spreads" or go as far as BDSP did with basically making romhack-tier teams.

Just seeing some item usage on the enemy fights would be ok.
SV incidentally actually has some: for example there's a random black belt with a focus sash on its Heracross, and I remind a Normal Gem Hyperbeam Dragalge (ok but why really).

I would personally like to see even some simple items used by the plot npcs, at very least the ones by the end. I don't need the champion to use a 1700 elo smogon OU team, but even just seeing a life orb or resist berry here and there wouldn't exactly hurt. Moreso now that in SV the player can basically buy these during the game.
The only ones I'd not want to see are choice items and assault vest, as their presence isn't noticeable from the player, other than leaving it confused on why a slower pokemon outspeed him.

The fact that Booster Energy is inbetween Steel and Water Tera Shards when the bag is sorted by type.

Also the order of Tera Shards doesnt seem to make any sense, the typical Fire/Water/Grass core aren't near each other, and it isn't sorted by alphabet either
Huh? I've got it sorted by type but Booster Energy is under Fairy.

Normal Tera Shard
Fire Tera Shard
Water Tera Shard
Electric Tera Shard
Grass Tera Shard
[yadda yadda yadda]
Steel Tera Shard
Fairy Tera Shard
Booster Energy

Are you sure you dont have it sorted by maybe something like "newest first"?

The only ones I'd not want to see are choice items and assault vest, as their presence isn't noticeable from the player, other than leaving it confused on why a slower pokemon outspeed him.
I think Route Minibosses can be 'revived' to showcase such things. Like, say, have someone explain how Focus Sash works and tell you he'll give you one if you beat him. Thus, a battle begins against a single Focus Sash Shedinja.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Related to the items on trainers thing: I wish you had easier access to some competitive items during the story. I know a couple Gen IV games give you some Choice items if you know where to look, but for the most part you're stuck with the type-specific booster items, Leftovers, maybe the Expert Belt, and berries. Berries are admittedly really nice but I'd like a little more variety.

Consumable items actually being consumed after NPC fights is also annoying. Like it's fine with berries because you can farm them easily, but if you use your one Focus Sash it's gone and you have to go buy another at a super specific vendor.

I think Route Minibosses can be 'revived' to showcase such things. Like, say, have someone explain how Focus Sash works and tell you he'll give you one if you beat him. Thus, a battle begins against a single Focus Sash Shedinja.
Route Minibosses kind of exist in SV. Usually they have more, stronger Pokemon and occasionally have a gimmick like a specific move they favor or, indeed, using an item.
SV trainers needing to be actively initiated on and boss trainers having black text boxes would make "gotchas" more bearable.

Related to the items on trainers thing: I wish you had easier access to some competitive items during the story. I know a couple Gen IV games give you some Choice items if you know where to look, but for the most part you're stuck with the type-specific booster items, Leftovers, maybe the Expert Belt, and berries. Berries are admittedly really nice but I'd like a little more variety.

Consumable items actually being consumed after NPC fights is also annoying. Like it's fine with berries because you can farm them easily, but if you use your one Focus Sash it's gone and you have to go buy another at a super specific vendor.
Consumable items (at least, most of them; i cant remember if berries still are) are no longer permanently consumed in SV which is cool since it also gives you mroe access to them in general.

Route Minibosses kind of exist in SV. Usually they have more, stronger Pokemon and occasionally have a gimmick like a specific move they favor or, indeed, using an item.
SV trainers needing to be actively initiated on and boss trainers having black text boxes would make "gotchas" more bearable.
I actually did see black textboxes on some out of the way trainers, but they didn't seem more difficult than others. They could also use the dudes at the Poke centers who give you items for those battles, especially since you respawn/heal right there afterwards, so it makes it viable to make them stupid-hard.

The other thing SV sequels need is a difficulty bar for route trainers. Just 1-8 stars over their head to indicate how many gym badges you should have before facing them. Because I ran into severely overleveled oppts a few times and had no real way to know or avoid it.

Consumable items (at least, most of them; I cant remember if berries still are) are no longer permanently consumed in SV which is cool since it also gives you more access to them in general.
Wait, really? It'd be cool if the games told us that ever.

The gym's dedication to mono-typing their opposition is beginning to grate. The Normal gym test you are supposedly going up against other gym challengers, but they all happen to be mono-normal trainers instead of ghost/fighting/steel/rock teams. Tera opened up a lot of opportunities for messing with monotype team setups, but almost all of them just went "monotype, monotype, thing not of the type Tera'd into that type". It's pure "pick a countertype and sweep". Picture a water gym with T-Dragon Gyarados, how much more difficult that would make the battles in a way that's still fair. They don't even use super-STAB for most of the fights. Instead we get a psychic gym with TPsychic Florges immediately after you beat Gardevoir. That'll scare the kiddies, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)