(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Paldea has the opposite problem with Kalos. Kalos's gym leaders all have pokemon from Kalos as their ace, when an old pokemon capable of Mega Evolving would have worked better, Korrina being the prime example because even though she has two Lucarios, she uses none of them in her gym battle and instead opts for Hawlucha.
PokéTV_XY135_Wulfric.png

Even the anime agrees to an extent, by giving Wulfric a mega-evolving Abomasnow.

Paldean gym leaders, however, all have Paldea pokemon that fit them to a tee that end up being pushed aside for an old mon that has to terrastalize to match them.
1670199016539.png

Good luck trying to convince me Mismagius fits Iono better than Bellibolt. I'll forgive Larry for ignoring Dudunsparce since Staraptor is basically a substitute for his Flamigo in his elite four battle.

Paldea has the opposite problem with Kalos. Kalos's gym leaders all have pokemon from Kalos as their ace, when an old pokemon capable of Mega Evolving would have worked better, Korrina being the prime example even though she has two Lucarios, she uses none of them in her gym battle and instead opts for Hawlucha.
View attachment 471084
Even the anime agrees to an extent, with giving Wulfric a mega-evolving Abomasnow.

Paldean gym leaders, however, all have Paldea pokemon that fit them to a tee that end up being pushed aside for an old mon that has to terrastalize to match them.
View attachment 471085
Good luck trying to convince me Mismagius fits Iono better than Bellibolt. I'll forgive Larry for ignoring Dundunsparce since Staraptor is basically a substitute for his Flamigo in his elite four battle.
Mismagius is based on witches and banshees, and an insidious evil whose wretched voice either heralds death or ensnares listeners to do the monster's bidding seems like it fits Iono to a T.

Mismagius is based on witches and banshees, and an insidious evil whose wretched voice either heralds death or ensnares listeners to do the monster's bidding seems like it fits Iono to a T.
That was unironically my line of thinking at first, but she uses Electroweb, not Hex, to trap her viewers. I honestly would have preferred gym leaders to terrastalize into a different type from their preference. Imagine switching into Bellibolt with a Ground type, only for it to turn into a Water type and get smacked by a boosted Water Pulse.

Last edited:
Even within the framework of having another mon Tera into the gym type, it feels like a missed opportunity. Many types have extra mechanics in addition to the effectiveness chart and they aren't used. Would have been a great opportunity to teach new players about e.g. Ice's Defense boost in snow while also providing some logic behind making the type vulnerability worse (even if it doesn't win out under detailed analysis)

I honestly would have preferred gym leaders to terrastalize into a different type from their preference. Imagine switching into Bellibolt with a Ground type, only for it to turn into a Water type and get smacked by a boosted Water Pulse.
I honestly can't imagine why they didn't something like that AT ALL.

A mix of the different Tera uses would be better imo. Brassius does it to great effect thematically-wise, Iono shows great strategy with hers, but I'm missing raw unga with Same-Type Tera and of course, defensive Tera baiting.

We need a damn trainer editor for this game already. Katy legit had me saying WTF when I first saw her ace. :pikuh:

Iono combines Electric w/ Levitate so there's that I guess? The AI in S/V is straight garbage anyway. Had the Water leader's Crabominable opt for Slam vs. Floragato, pretty sure gym leaders just use random moves just like trash trainers.

Sorry I was making dinner at the same time as writing and did not see Iono was already mentioned.

Had the Water leader's Crabominable opt for Slam vs. Floragato, pretty sure gym leaders just use random moves just like trash trainers.
Wwwelllll...
he actually does have the appropriate AI flags set, but his Crabominable uh... doesn't know any Ice moves until his rematch team; his options were the resisted Crabhammer or the neutral Rock Smash or Slam. Rock Smash is STAB, but Slam is still the move that does the most damage (narrowly... a resisted Crabhammer would be 5 BP less but 15% more accurate, but I'm pretty sure the AI has never decided things on those grounds).

obligatory spreadsheet plug okay bye

I honestly can't imagine why they didn't something like that AT ALL.

A mix of the different Tera uses would be better imo. Brassius does it to great effect thematically-wise, Iono shows great strategy with hers, but I'm missing raw unga with Same-Type Tera and of course, defensive Tera baiting.

We need a damn trainer editor for this game already. Katy legit had me saying WTF when I first saw her ace. :pikuh:
I'm OK with Katy because of the bugbear pun, Brassius for the Sudowoodo love and Ryme for the musically inclined Toxtricity. The others? Eh.

The big problem with the Tera choices is that the whole point of the mechanic is unpredictability... but they all make the most predictable choice of Terastallization: into their specialty type.

It should have been the other way around - an ace of their specialty type that Terastallizes into something that has good synergy with it. Like, a Rock-type turning into Flying, Ghost or Grass.

Wwwelllll...
he actually does have the appropriate AI flags set, but his Crabominable uh... doesn't know any Ice moves until his rematch team; his options were the resisted Crabhammer or the neutral Rock Smash or Slam. Rock Smash is STAB, but Slam is still the move that does the most damage (narrowly... a resisted Crabhammer would be 5 BP less but 15% more accurate, but I'm pretty sure the AI has never decided things on those grounds).

obligatory spreadsheet plug okay bye
Cyrus Suffering.png

We need a Trainer Editor baddy bad. :psycry:

"Your things might slide off the table if you try to have a picnic on a slope like this!"

"Probably best not to host a picnic here (in a town)..."

"You can't setup a picnic while riding a Pokemon!"

Why are Pokemon Scarlet and Violet suddenly trying to be realistic in regard to picnicking / breeding? This is a game where giant ghosts ride golden surfboards and a dolphin turns into a Superman pastiche. If I wanted that kind of realism I'd go play Animal Crossing or something.

Last edited:
"Your things might slide off the table if you try to have a picnic on a slope like this!"

"Probably best not to host a picnic here (in a town)..."

"You can't setup a picnic while riding a Pokemon!"

Why is Pokemon Scarlet and Violet suddenly trying to be realistic in regard to picnicking / breeding? This is a game where giant ghosts ride golden surfboards and a dolphin turns into a Superman pastiche. If I wanted that kind of realism I'd go play Animal Crossing or something.
The former too I can maybe hand wave some performance issues or space issues for hte pokemon you need out alongside the table that has no physics applied to it. Need room, or whatever.

But the final one is very bizarre because like. Just. Dismount -raidon when you select the option? Like you automatically do every time you go into a trainer battle or enter a building???

speaking of
I Find it utterly baffling why you can't ride your lizard on top of the Watch towers. The game can totally handle them just fine up there, as shown by the several times I've managed to fly my way onto one! LET ME JUMP OFF WITH MY LIZARD INSTEAD OF FALLING DOWN THE LADDER, PLEASE

speaking of
I Find it utterly baffling why you can't ride your lizard on top of the Watch towers. The game can totally handle them just fine up there, as shown by the several times I've managed to fly my way onto one! LET ME JUMP OFF WITH MY LIZARD INSTEAD OF FALLING DOWN THE LADDER, PLEASE
What are you even talking about? I have had no issues with being able to mount on the top of those watchtowers after climbing up the ladders, like at all.

What are you even talking about? I have had no issues with being able to mount on the top of those watchtowers after climbing up the ladders, like at all.
every single time i've tried, it says i can't

which has been very often because i keep hitting the button out of habit so i can do sick dives off the tower!

every single time i've tried, it says i can't

which has been very often because i keep hitting the button out of habit so i can do sick dives off the tower!
You're too close to the edge. You need space to actually spawn the Don.

I can personally confirm the dives are in fact sick. I even got a TM by diving from one floor to another.

You're too close to the edge. You need space to actually spawn the Don.

I can personally confirm the dives are in fact sick. I even got a TM by diving from one floor to another.
it must be really finnicky then, because I am not kidding that it's been like 10 times i've tried doing it. I'll try it again next time i look for a gimmighoul

and that stupid TM, I know exaclty which one you're talking about because i had to manuver my way by falling down the ladder and scooting myself over as i fell!

I personally don't think you should be getting 4 of the most useful items in the game, three of them being handed to you, before you're finished the tutorial.
Anything that helps early-game catching up is good in my book. Besides, all the free items help save money for what truly matters.

The D R I P. :boi:

And tbh... Are Revives actually that useful? I don't even buy them when I'm playing anymore. :worrywhirl:

Anything that helps early-game catching up is good in my book. Besides, all the free items help save money for what truly matters.

The D R I P. :boi:
When you are wearing generic orange trousers with slightly less generic orange stripes you automatically have negative drip no matter what else you are wearing.

And tbh... Are Revives actually that useful? I don't even buy them when I'm playing anymore. :worrywhirl:
You are good at the game. I am not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 16)