(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

replying to the discussion on signature had on this thread a week or two ago, my thoughts on how signature moves are handled are a bit mixed.

I think my main problem with some of these signatures is that some of these move don't really need to be stuck on only one Pokemon. Some signatures could have been given to other Pokemon, either as a somewhat common move on a decent amount of Pokemon or as a rarer move akin to how moves like quiver dance are distributed. There are definitely some some signature that might be too strong to throw onto other Pokemon like population bomb, but there are also a lot of move that could be given to more Pokemon without being broken.

A lot of signature can feel like either a somewhat average move that didn't really need the signature treatment.
Trop Kick
this move has very a similar effect to moves like Mystical Fire and Skitter Smack, while having a similar base power to them. if those move could be given to a decent amount of Pokémon, why can't this move be given a similar treatment?
Zing Zap
this move is probably one of the most mundane signatures move out there, it is a clone of the fairly normal move iron head. The description of the move also sound like something that could be done by pretty much any electric type pokemon
The user crashes into the target, delivering a powerful electric shock. This may also make the target flinch.
This one is extra annoying since most electric type are stuck using wild charge for a physical move. This move might have a different name or description in Japanese that is more specific with it's flavor, so increasing distribution might be harder than I think.
Spirit Break
This move is pretty similar to the situation with trop kick, but somewhat more annoying since this only one of two physical fairy moves in the game.
Leafage, Branch Poke
I think this two moves were made so the grass starter could have a base 40 move like the other starters can have with ember and water gun. These two could be given to a lot of grass types as a grass type move when at a low level.
Volt tackle
This move is just electric type double edge.
I think wild charge is actually kind of a neat concept when it is given to a non electric type Pokémon a strong coverage move at the cost of taking damage. But for electric type they should just have access to a normal electric move and have volt tackle as a additional option.
Something else that can be annoying about signature is when a really interesting new effect is locked to only one Pokemon. First impression comes to mind here as it was a very interesting move that was only available at first on Golisopod and Farfetched. Over gens 8 and 9 it has gotten more distribution, with it now being a cool option for Lokix and Slither Wing. I think the move could have been given to some more weaker bug types, but the move status as something akin to quiver dance in terms of how it is distributed is way cooler than just being a signature move. This also has given bug types a cool new move that can serve as way to make the type better, similar to how they are able to get stab on u-turn.

Gigaton Hammer is a really interesting move with an unique drawback, so it is annoying that such a move is limited to one Pokemon. You might have to lower the base power a bit to give it to other Pokemon, but I think this move has the potential to be a cool balanced addition to the move roster, maybe even making copies of the move for other types. It is always cool when a move with a unique effect is added to the game and expands the gameplay. I think that battles, especially competitive ones are way richer when we access to moves with interesting effects like sucker punch, leech seed, Water Spout, dragon tail, draco meteor, hazards along with hazard removal, first impression, Hex, and so much more, and it would be a shame if the next set of cool moves are stuck being signature moves.

Last edited:
While I can live with the fps issues in SV and haven't had any bad glitches like game crashes, the issues with tera raids are really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

The "minor" annoyance is the selection of moves menu seems to only keep your previous move selection for a couple of turns before defaulting to selecting the first move (no fainting necessary). Not sure if this happens whenever the raid boss does something like steal your terastal energy or remove effects, or if it's just random, but it's super annoying when you're trying to just spam the same move.

The even more annoying thing is the Niantic-esque fluctuations in boss health. Apparently play rough is a key offender here, and the visual damage and actual damage get out of sync, coming back in sync when the boss removes effects, etc. However, apparently the shield operates on the visual health bar, which results in a stupidly large hp shield to burn through.

Relatedly, I now hate Greedent.

Zing Zap
this move is probably one of the most mundane signatures move out there, it is a clone of the fairly normal move iron head. The description of the move also sound like something that could be done by pretty much any electric type pokemon
This one is extra annoying since most electric type are stuck using wild charge for a physical move. This move might have a different name or description in Japanese that is more specific with it's flavor, so increasing distribution might be harder than I think.
Its Japanese name (as translated by some editor of Bulbapedia) is "Shocking and Prickly". I could see Jolteon and Iron Thorns learning it but that's about it as far as STAB goes.

“how do we nerf those classic powerful Pokémon like Gardevoir and Gengar and the like in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet?”

“I know let’s give them their best STABs at level 40 or even later!”

“But sir, didn’t they learn them at like level 30 or so in previous gener-“

“shut up, just do it”

no I’m not kidding you Gengar gets Shadow Ball at level 48

I get it TMs and the like haha funny broken, but just WTF?

Its Japanese name (as translated by some editor of Bulbapedia) is "Shocking and Prickly". I could see Jolteon and Iron Thorns learning it but that's about it as far as STAB goes.
Thank you for finding that piece of info, the distribution of the move definitely felt like it had something to do with spikes, but I wasn't sure if that was the case. It is kind of weird that they translated the move name and description without mentioning the move is theme around spikes. It reminds me the more well known example of how they translated splash from move named hop, which caused some confusion when it was on a Pokemon like Hoppip.

Because making the bosses stronger rather than the player weaker isn't an option, apparently.
Nah, they saved that for the raids. Unfortunately, the raid implementation was done with all the grace of a first-time DM who staked the plot on the NPC that just got crit for four times their maximum HP.

Because making the bosses stronger rather than the player weaker isn't an option, apparently.
I'm not sure how that's relevant? Bosses get custom movesets (even if they aren't always optimal). Ryme's Houndstone has Phantom Force 4 levels early, for example.

Honestly it was probably not an active nerf at all, especially when Gardevoir still gets Dazzling Gleam on evolution. so its not like its lacking for stab.
also gengar's moveset is just ported over from SWSH, actually. Which "streamlined" a lot of movesets

“how do we nerf those classic powerful Pokémon like Gardevoir and Gengar and the like in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet?”

“But sir, didn’t they learn them at like level 30 or so in previous gener-“

“shut up, just do it”

no I’m not kidding you Gengar gets Shadow Ball at level 48

I get it TMs and the like haha funny broken, but just WTF?
I feel the strongest argument that no one ever pulled in the RSE IGTL thread for Ralts being an S-Tier mon is that it NEVER got Calm Mind and Psychic that early again. :totodiLUL:

As for the levels themselves... 35 for CM and 42 for Psy is close to other gens. XY for example had them at 33 and 40.

Gastly's level-up movepool has always sucked.

Which means...

This guy right here is still drunk on Haterade ^

It's not SV's fault bro, don't blame it on the open-world! :totodiLUL:

You can get Psyshock either as a crafting recipe after beating Mela, or as a TM in Cascarrafa, both of which are around lv. 30, which is when Kirlia evolves and gets Dazzling Gleam as an evolution move. Gengar I don't care about.

So I was doing mon reviews to prepare for SV in-game tier list and-

1670465619552.png

you read that right folks, luxray is in the bottom five for Electric types in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet. heck I think the other four might even be better.

even Platinum Jolteon got level 78 Discharge faster than Luxray gets Wild Charge in Scarlet and Violet.

how did they make it unironically worse than the memetically bad DPPT learnset, it doesn't even get Thunder Fang except via TM anymore

I am in awe

Pawmot gets Wild Charge at level 1 ffs

fun fact Luxray is literally THE latest Pokemon to learn Wild Charge naturally, even Solgaleo gets it faster

1670466581082.png

Last edited:

View attachment 472357

you read that right folks, luxray is in the bottom five for Electric types in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet. heck I think the other four might even be better.

even Platinum Jolteon got level 78 Discharge faster than Luxray gets Wild Charge in Scarlet and Violet.

how did they make it unironically worse than the memetically bad DPPT learnset, it doesn't even get Thunder Fang except via TM anymore

I am in awe

fun fact Luxray is literally THE latest Pokemon to learn Wild Charge naturally, even Solgaleo gets it faster

View attachment 472362
Same as BDSP. That's the level of absurdity and travesty it is.

Thunder and Ice Fangs early tho, they can't keep my boy down.

Also, did you just say SV IGTL? Have you lost your damn mind? :totodiLUL:

I lost my mind when I started tiering these games over three years ago.

And yeah I know about the XY Gardevoir movepool, still makes it pretty egregious.

Same as SWSH, more specifically.

legends arceus had the much more reasonable Level 37

It's really funny how SV just barely touched any of the SWSH carry overs. Like I get you can't just carry over the LA movesets for more obvious reasons but you could at least do some maintenance.
Even Dunsparce & Girafarig just swap out one move. Primeape at least had some extra rearrangement going on.

View attachment 472357

I am in awe

View attachment 472362
breaking news: Luxray somehow got even worse

If what I am reading is correct, the TM for Wild Charge is impossible to get until you beat Eri who has level 55s.

Shinx has a serious case for F tier in a SV list, and if not that it would never be higher than the second lowest tier. It is painfully outclassed in literally every single regard, to the point it legitimately makes the likes of Electrode, Dedenne, and Pachirisu look viable and interesting despite their lower offensive stats. Electrode has fast screens, Dedenne and Pachirisu have fast Charm and some support moves. And Rotom, despite having identical offense has the alternate forms which clearly outclass Luxray.

But wait, Luxray has Intimidate. You know what else has Intimidate? Sandile, Squawkabilly, Gyarados, Tauros, Mabosstiff and maybe some other things I’m forgetting.

Shinx is irredeemable trash in SV. I have literally no idea how someone could justify a team slot on it. Not even the early Thunderbolt TM makes it worthwhile.

RSE Chimecho is looking at SV Shinx and going “wow I’m actually better than something rn”

Last edited:
breaking news: Luxray somehow got even worse

If what I am reading is correct, the TM for Wild Charge is impossible to get until you beat Eri who has level 55s.

Shinx has a serious case for F tier in a SV list, and if not that it would never be higher than the second lowest tier. It is painfully outclassed in literally every single regard, to the point it legitimately makes the likes of Electrode, Dedenne, and Pachirisu look viable and interesting despite their lower offensive stats. Electrode has fast screens, Dedenne and Pachirisu have fast Charm and some support moves. And Rotom, despite having identical offense has the alternate forms which clearly outclass Luxray.

But wait, Luxray has Intimidate. You know what else has Intimidate? Sandile, Squawkabilly, Gyarados, Tauros, Mabosstiff and maybe some other things I’m forgetting.

Shinx is irredeemable trash in SV. I have literally no idea how someone could justify a team slot on it. Not even the early Thunderbolt TM makes it worthwhile.

RSE Chimecho is looking at SV Shinx and going “wow I’m actually better than something rn”
you can find it in the bamboo forest cliffs

My mental map might be iffy but I think her base is secluded enough that you can just find it in the cliffs outside it.
It's findable without beating Eri but you still have to have done all the Titans in order to access the area, as you need to be able to climb. Wild Charge is lategame regardless.

With that said Luxray with Spark isn't the worst thing in the world. 65BP 30% para is useable.
Thank you both for confirming this! I still don’t think Luxray is good even getting it early because you have to wander past level 50 Pokémon (even with Poke Dolls that’s a drain on money).

And no I don’t consider Spark Luxray significantly usable. That’s meh as all get out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)