(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I don't exactly mind that much - what is truly annoying is that, if you level up, don't go and get your reward, and level up again, you lose the reward you didn't claim.

(e.g. I once forgot to look for which building Sophocles was going to offer me when I leveled up again. Went to the castle and Sophocles only offered one building -and only gave me one item for refusing- instead of two)
I've had that happen before, though currently the best he's offered me has been a rank 5 Gold Rush and rank 3 fortune tellers. Still, extra sell items and plaza tickets are nice.

Though that reminds me of another minor annoyance in the castle, that being the shard maniac. Why in Arceus' name is it 30 shards of the same color for a Bottle Cap? Not a Gold Bottle Cap, a regular Bottle Cap that's not all that rare. Why not 10 shards of one color, or just any 30 shards, for one? It's almost not worth it to gather shards from Poke Pelago.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Didn't they do this one time before in FireRed/LeafGreen? The TeachyTV you get from the old man which has visual demonstrations for catching, status, levelling (and its importance) is quite close to this. An expanded TeachyTV with more tutorials should definitely come back for Gen 7 Third Game / DPP Remake / Gen 8, it's better than just text dialogue that a log would have. Slap the catching tutorial on there and you're good to go.
Would rather a plain text tutorial/picture tutorial than Teachy TV. An animation or simulator would be neat, but for a tutorial you just want to get the basic info and move on, having to watch a video or go through a sim until you get to the info you want to know might feel tedious even if they are short. Plus I feel you could include other information like a type chart.

What was Game Freak thinking when they designed Slaking? Imagine those kids who were playing RSE / ORAS for the first time and caught the Slakoth for use in their in-game team. They must have been happy when they see their Vigoroth evolve .... until they see what Ability it had.
It's not hard to see what GF were thinking, the problem is that it just doesn't work. Slaking is very powerful and can take hits, its stats are on mascot Legendary levels and its easily easy to obtain one early. Thus in exchange for early accessibility to Legendary power its Ability hinders it. Now in-game this is a bit mitigated as you can still use Potions (or maybe those X items you rarely find a use for) on it and switch out, so if anything it just makes a battle longer. Competitive is where there's a problem as you can't use trainer items. But eitherway, in a game where every turn can change the flow of battle, being only able to use a Pokemon's moves every other turn is too much of a negative. Maybe they can let it use a limited amount of moves during the Truant phase which doesn't involve it having to move: Slack Off, Yawn, Rest, Snore, Curse, maybe even After You.

Also, Maybe they should give Vigoroth a split evolution, one that remain active and fast (though obviously not as strong).

The big question here is why Regigigas also has a crippling ability.
Yeah, that one doesn't make sense outside of context. Like I sort of get what they want to do... but problem is its a Legendary. A hard to get Legendary. Its stats are equal to that of a mascot Legendary so it's not like its Arceus/fused Kyurem powerful to justify the hindering (and even then). I wouldn't raise Regigigas stats but instead have a way to shorten Slow Start (like maybe have Slow Start's counter go down by one each times its attacked) and give a beneficial effect to once Slow Start is gone, like have it healed of all status ailments and reset its stats (so it's starting out fresh sans any HP it lost).

Speaking of fused Kyurem, Kyurem-B's "balance" is BS. Kyurem-W get Ice Beam and Blizzard, why can't Kyurem-B have Ice Punch, Icicle Crash, and/or Ice Hammer?

With Eevee becoming an early-mid game Pokemon more often, I am wondering why Game Freak still creates a place where Eevee can evolve into Glazion close to late game where you probably already evolved your Eevee into one of the other evolutions?
I mean I guess Ice Typing is maybe a very powerful type for early game. But mid-game? It is not even a really an impressive ice type, it is just bland like most ice types.
That's the problem with the location based evolution, they're not thought about when designing the map. If you want a Pokemon with a location based evolution you have to hope that where the have the evolution method be accessible at a time when it would be the right time to evolve it (basically around the time every Pokemon in your party would be evolving to their final stage). Electromagnetic field, Moss Rock, Ice Rock, overworld rain, and highest location. Electromagnetic field, Moss Rock, and overworld rain is the easiest, the problem comes with Ice Rock and highest location. For highest location it really depends on the game's story when you're allowed to reach the peak of the highest mountain, as for Ice Rock you obviously need a cold place to put it. I personally would suggest that for all location based evolutions they should both have multiple locations where it can be triggered and stretch where you could find some of them. Like why not just put the Ice Rock somewhere in a cave's basement near the time all Pokemon would be evolving to their final form? Why does it have the be at the highest mountain peak, wouldn't it be where its cold enough that its starting to snow not be high enough?

I've had that happen before, though currently the best he's offered me has been a rank 5 Gold Rush and rank 3 fortune tellers. Still, extra sell items and plaza tickets are nice.

Though that reminds me of another minor annoyance in the castle, that being the shard maniac. Why in Arceus' name is it 30 shards of the same color for a Bottle Cap? Not a Gold Bottle Cap, a regular Bottle Cap that's not all that rare. Why not 10 shards of one color, or just any 30 shards, for one? It's almost not worth it to gather shards from Poke Pelago.
Ugh, that's only problem to add to the list of Festival Plaza: what you're offered by Sophocles is completely random and you can't upgrade. Sophocles is still offering my level 1, 2, and 3 facilities despite being over level 90 and all my attractions are 4 and above.

Also, looking at the list of facilities, I just realized I gave up a very good one because of the level of stars was deceiving! I was offered a Level 1 Rare Kitchen because I had a level 5 kitchen of another kind. Well, as it turns out, Rare Kitchens are the best ones and even a level 1 is better than a Level 5 non-Rare Kitchen... WHAT'S THE POINT OF THE STARS IF YOU'RE GOING TO PULL THAT BS OFF? Hey, Sophocles, how about you TELL ME what the facility does, I don't care what it looks like or who's hosting it.

Yeah, 30 is too much especially since there's 4 types of shards and you only get 5 items from Poke Pelago at max. 10 would be fair, and maybe also have a way to get a Gold Bottle Cap like normally a Silver is 10 of one type but a Gold is 10 of each type.

Would rather a plain text tutorial/picture tutorial than Teachy TV. An animation or simulator would be neat, but for a tutorial you just want to get the basic info and move on, having to watch a video or go through a sim until you get to the info you want to know might feel tedious even if they are short. Plus I feel you could include other information like a type chart.
I guess but the visual demonstration can still be useful to newer players, also type charts are extremely clunky to look at, no way you're memorizing that in one go. The closest we got to a good implementation of such an idea was the PokeTch app from Gen 4 that lets you measure type effectiveness.

Speaking of which we should have another PokeTch style item in the future, it was insanely useful and even when it wasn't it was just sort of fun to mess around with.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I guess but the visual demonstration can still be useful to newer players, also type charts are extremely clunky to look at, no way you're memorizing that in one go. The closest we got to a good implementation of such an idea was the PokeTch app from Gen 4 that lets you measure type effectiveness.

Speaking of which we should have another PokeTch style item in the future, it was insanely useful and even when it wasn't it was just sort of fun to mess around with.
Didn't in one game they let you pull out the Type Chart while in the middle of battle? Not that it matters, Gen VII now tells you if a move is effective or not after battling that Pokemon. Though it wouldn't hurt to also include the Type Match for Poketch for the assisting tool (if they ever do something like the Poketch again).

Didn't in one game they let you pull out the Type Chart while in the middle of battle? Not that it matters, Gen VII now tells you if a move is effective or not after battling that Pokemon. Though it wouldn't hurt to also include the Type Match for Poketch for the assisting tool (if they ever do something like the Poketch again).
Fire Red and Leaf Green did that along with a lot of other help things accessed by pressing L or R IIRC.

Alolan Marowak (if you know what I mean).
If you don't, Shadow Bone is its signature move at level 27.
But guess what? Cubone evolves at 28!
And GF decided to make the Tutor overpowered, but available at the END of the game. In front of the Pokémon League.
Having your best STAB move taken from you 'till the Elite Four is just annoying.

What about them annoys you?
Ugh... I still hate it... You don't know? I'll tell you.
In the Sinnoh games. there's a girl in Snowpoint City. She wants a Medicham, and gives a Haunter. Oh boy, free Gengar!
Medicham is found on the last route with a small chance, let's look for it!
You finally, after a lot of hassle, get one, and do the trade.
The trade ended. No evolution?
I looked at the Haunter. It had a F*CKING EVERSTONE. The girl even makes fun of you!
Biggest troll in Pokémon history.

Ugh... I still hate it... You don't know? I'll tell you.
In the Sinnoh games. there's a girl in Snowpoint City. She wants a Medicham, and gives a Haunter. Oh boy, free Gengar!
Medicham is found on the last route with a small chance, let's look for it!
You finally, after a lot of hassle, get one, and do the trade.
The trade ended. No evolution?
I looked at the Haunter. It had a F*CKING EVERSTONE. The girl even makes fun of you!
Biggest troll in Pokémon history.
Oh. Ohh... Yeah, that trade is a total troll. Thankfully, Gengar have a very rare chance of being found in the post-game in the Old Chateau, in the room with the eye picture, though I think you need any GBA Pokemon game inserted while playing on the old DS to actually find it.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Regigigas, Medicham x Haunter, a regional Dex that excludes several new Pokemon and is just lol in general, speeds that makes my grandma look like Road Runner....I'm starting to smell a trolling conspiracy here. :v4:

I've put a ridiculous amount of thought in how I would revamp the BST's of Pokémon and change like 30 of them. Two guidelines I'd have are no fully evolved Pokémon, including ones without an evolution have a BST lower than 400, and no Pokémon at all (except maybe Magikarp and Feebas) have a BST lower than 250. I'm not looking to min-max everyone, but have them at least usable at their appropriate levels. One example is Ledian. Garbage attacking stats and having Iron Fist with 35 attack is an insult. What I would do is move 25 attack from special defense to attack, as well as give it an additional 10 attack to raise its BST to 400. With 70 attack, it's still competitively garbage, but when Ledyba (who I would change as well) evolves at 18, it still will do a decent job on my team? Will I use it for the whole game? No. But I'm not going to avoid the line entirely.

Wanting to do giveaways of Japan-exclusive Pokemon (as of now, anyway) such as shiny Tapu Koko and Ash Hat Pikachu, only to realise that Tapu Koko is in a Cherish Ball and Pikachu has a special ribbon, and thus neither can be traded on GTS.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I was replaying Colosseum recently and found out that a Shadow Pokémon's nature isn't displayed until you deplete two bars of its Heart Gauge. Really lame mechanic.

Only being allowed save at the PCs is dumb.

Also, some Pokémon in that game have garbage level-up movepools. For example, the Shadow Skiploom you catch won't learn anything after being purified (or if it does learn anything it's like one move), which is really bizarre because it's one of the first things you're able to get.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So I was replaying Colosseum recently and found out that a Shadow Pokémon's nature isn't displayed until you deplete two bars of its Heart Gauge. Really lame mechanic.

Only being allowed save at the PCs is dumb.

Also, some Pokémon in that game have garbage level-up movepools. For example, the Shadow Skiploom you catch won't learn anything after being purified (or if it does learn anything it's like one move), which is really bizarre because it's one of the first things you're able to get.
Sounds useless. If they want to force you to use the Pokemon why bother showing the Nature at all until its purified? If they do want you to consider the Pokemon's Nature, why not have it be given its Nature when purified so the player can soft reset then for a good Nature.

And to be fair, the Hoppip family really weren't given anything to work with until Gen IV via level up.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
you know what's cool? special encounters. talking things like shaking grass in gen 5, wild trapinch in xy, etc

you know what's not cool? the thing in sun/moon with the mons that rush at you from the grass. the first one had a makuhita, i didn't want one but nevertheless i thought it was kind of cool. guess what the others contained? alolan rattata. that one mon i saw on route 1 and instantly thought "yeah, this thing isn't going to pull its weight later on." fast forward to vast poni canyon. in the cave and i see these dust clouds moving between these holes. "there must be something really cool in here! pseudo legendary? mon that sucks for in-game purposes but at least looks really cool? alolan golem or another final evolution only obtainable through trade/stone?" it was alolan dugtrio, the same mon that appeared outside of the dust clouds. compare this to stuff we got in past generations:

in gen 5, we got mostly audino and emolga, but there was a little chance of getting something wild like lilligant, reuniclus and metagross (yes, wild metagross) depending on the route. gen 6 had it as a gimmick for the whatever badlands with mons unique to the route. why did they take a step back and fill even these special encounter tables with mundane mons? really makes you think.

you know what's cool? special encounters. talking things like shaking grass in gen 5, wild trapinch in xy, etc

you know what's not cool? the thing in sun/moon with the mons that rush at you from the grass. the first one had a makuhita, i didn't want one but nevertheless i thought it was kind of cool. guess what the others contained? alolan rattata. that one mon i saw on route 1 and instantly thought "yeah, this thing isn't going to pull its weight later on." fast forward to vast poni canyon. in the cave and i see these dust clouds moving between these holes. "there must be something really cool in here! pseudo legendary? mon that sucks for in-game purposes but at least looks really cool? alolan golem or another final evolution only obtainable through trade/stone?" it was alolan dugtrio, the same mon that appeared outside of the dust clouds. compare this to stuff we got in past generations:

in gen 5, we got mostly audino and emolga, but there was a little chance of getting something wild like lilligant, reuniclus and metagross (yes, wild metagross) depending on the route. gen 6 had it as a gimmick for the whatever badlands with mons unique to the route. why did they take a step back and fill even these special encounter tables with mundane mons? really makes you think.
This. I don't remember being less excited about special encounters as I do in SM

Going from something you had to actively seek out or miss your opportunity of getting a rare Pokemon to actively trying (and often failing) to avoid another boring encounter seems about on par with a lot of changes in SM. I love SM but there seem to be too many annoyances and backward steps to make it a really great Pokemon game.

Gen 5 might be my favorite gen. I loved the grass shaking in it. The early route Audino's were good exp, but it was also a fantastic Pokémon to get you through the early game. Monstrous bulk for its level but also usable attacking stats. It starts losing weight around mid 20's but that's also the same time you could get Drilbur (might be wrong on that) and Joltik.

You know what is not cool? Looking for two of the most competitive Pokémon in gen 6... in a trash can.

You know what is not cool? Looking for two of the most competitive Pokémon in gen 6... in a trash can.
I mean Rotom Wash and Klefki.

MOD EDIT: Do not double post! Use the EDIT button!

Last edited by a moderator:

I mean Rotom Wash and Klefki.

MOD EDIT: Do not double post! Use the EDIT button!
Klefki isn't found in trash cans, though. It's found in the grass in Route 15/16 and just walking around in the Lost Hotel. It is annoying that Rotom can only be found in the Lost Hotel trash cans on one day of the week, though.

This is probably a minor peeve, but I hate that most of the Legendaries/fixed encounter mons are Shiny Locked, especially since we've hit the generation that makes it possible to turn "trash" shinies into viable mons with Hyper Training (which I haven't done and have heard is tedious, but nonetheless is possible). It feels incredibly pointless to have this "trophy" quality that can apply to every Pokemon except the ones people would want to use/boast about the most. It feels like a cheap way to make events like the Shiny Tapu Koko seem more special, but I think the novelty to them should be in the rarity rather than impossibility of obtaining them in normal gameplay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 6)