(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I'd be happy if they gave more pockets in the bag to sort everything in, as there are certainly WAY too many items just crammed into the main items pocket. If having too many pockets visible is the problem, then stick a few as separate inventories accessible in the Key Items pocket like what FR/LG did with Berries and TMs & HMs. Give Poke Balls their own separate pocket again. Maybe do the same with fossils and battle items. Heck, give us more free space pockets so we have the option to further organize our bags if we so choose.
It bothers me how they reduced the number of pockets in gen V. It bothers me because I have to do so much scrolling to get to a single item in the misc items pocket, and it just feels very disorganized. I wish they would at least go back to gen IV's system of sorting items. At least then everything was less cluttered but they should still revise the pockets in the bag if they are going to add more pockets as more types of items have been added since gen IV such as mega stones. I try to keep my bag sorted by item type. Still it bothers me that they made sorting everything in your misc items bag by type a thing but not separating them into multiple pockets. It almost feels like they went through the effort of sorting everything into different pockets but just decided to cram everything into one in the end.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think pointing at those game in particular is a bit much since the former is fairly simple and the latter runs flawlessly on original 3ds....at the expensie using literally everything in the 3DS. There's a reason it couldn't use MiiVerse and had to reboot the system to return to the home screen.

But there were plenty of, high-intensity 3DS games (Kid Icarus comes to mind) that had neither issue so its just...astonishing that for such a big name title like Pokemon it had the performance issues it did through 4 sets of games. And SM was an improvement on Gen 6! It can't even entirely be blamed on the model quality (absolutely an issue because seriously the amount of polygons involved in something like volcanion is absurd), because these issues extended to the overworld.
I remember the game lagging if i rode the bike in a rainy area. XYORAS could not handle horde battles so its a small miracle that Battle Royals and double battles (which ahve to have the trainers on screen) run as well as they do (even with frame drops...).
As bluhacks said, it's because GF is bad at optimization. Let's remember Iwata by himself was able to compress the Gen II games so they could fit in Kanto (which he probably also had to help compress) that the entire GF programming team were unable to do. Now, yes, Iwata was a programming god... but you then remember they needed help from Nintendo's programmers how to make games in a 3D environment for XY. GF are pros when it comes to making a game using sprites, but they seem to be stumbling transitioning over into 3D. Though with the next main series game being on the Switch I have a feeling Nintendo may be working a bit more closer with them (after all, if they get the main series Pokemon game onto the Switch it would be a complete transition in making the Switch a console-handheld hybrid and they can fully retire their strict handheld line. #RIPGameboy&DS).

As bluhacks said, it's because GF is bad at optimization. Let's remember Iwata by himself was able to compress the Gen II games so they could fit in Kanto (which he probably also had to help compress) that the entire GF programming team were unable to do. Now, yes, Iwata was a programming god... but you then remember they needed help from Nintendo's programmers how to make games in a 3D environment for XY. GF are pros when it comes to making a game using sprites, but they seem to be stumbling transitioning over into 3D. Though with the next main series game being on the Switch I have a feeling Nintendo may be working a bit more closer with them (after all, if they get the main series Pokemon game onto the Switch it would be a complete transition in making the Switch a console-handheld hybrid and they can fully retire their strict handheld line. #RIPGameboy&DS).
side stepping the weird thing of "needed help from Nintendo's programmers how to make games in a 3D environment" (source???) Excruciatingly hard disagree on "pros [...] with sprites" lest we forget the total absolute nonsense that was Diamond & Pearl. By the end of the DS era they were great but it took literal years to get there. You can't even really blame DP's use of 3D because it barely used 3D to begin with: the bulk of the game was tilesets and textures on very simple 3D geometry (assuming it used that geometry at all)

Honestly for as big as Pokemon is and no doubt has a lot of money put into each game, a lot of the time it feels like this bizzare, mid-tier game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
side stepping the weird thing of "needed help from Nintendo's programmers how to make games in a 3D environment" (source???) Excruciatingly hard disagree on "pros [...] with sprites" lest we forget the total absolute nonsense that was Diamond & Pearl. By the end of the DS era they were great but it took literal years to get there. You can't even really blame DP's use of 3D because it barely used 3D to begin with: the bulk of the game was tilesets and textures on very simple 3D geometry (assuming it used that geometry at all)

Honestly for as big as Pokemon is and no doubt has a lot of money put into each game, a lot of the time it feels like this bizzare, mid-tier game.
Okay, my mistake, apparently they just hired 20 new staffers when making XY, not sure why I thought it was supplied to them by Nintendo.

Sorry to sound naive, but what exactly was wrong with DP? Note, when I said that I wasn't talking about their map design if you're thinking about the headache that's travelling through Mt. Coronet constantly. The major programming problem I can think with DP are those long saving times.

Okay, my mistake, apparently they just hired 20 new staffers when making XY, not sure why I thought it was supplied to them by Nintendo.

Sorry to sound naive, but what exactly was wrong with DP? Note, when I said that I wasn't talking about their map design if you're thinking about the headache that's travelling through Mt. Coronet constantly. The major programming problem I can think with DP are those long saving times.
The game was slow. Extremely slow. In every regard. You were slow in the overworld, you were disasteriously slow while surfing, and battles took a small eternity that got worse as you added extra effects. I am pretty sure everything was 30 FPS rather than the GBA's 60, so the slowness gets amplified. wi-fi communication could take a while as well, and just connecting to other players was an ordeal i went through quite often. In general, performance was just poor, though it rarely had the frame issues XY-on had.
Additionally, the tilesets used in the game are kind of rough. Like they're not bad, but they're pretty bland. And its not like the geometry used was that...great... It helped add some depth to the region (Stark Mountain seems designed to show this off in a literal fashion) but, again, bland.
When I said it took them years to get great I mean. THey very slowly and incrementally improved on it. One of Platinum's biggest improvements was that surfing moved twice as fast and it was ever so slightly faster in battle. HGSS was every so slighgly faster than that. By the time of BW2 battles even with animations on were lightning fast again. Platinum refreshed all the tile sets and added smaller, newer things to give more life to the region. HGSS obviously took that even further, and BW1 expanded on both that and 3D evnirons.

I also suspect, but they have never said anything about it, that they had development troubles with DP. It is very unusual that they put out FRLG and Emerald in 2004, but DP would not land until 2006. There was also a pretty long stretch of time between the first announcement and screens (which seem more like mock ups imo) and, like, actual information.
But, again, just a theory.

My memories of Diamond and Pearl are putting Tyranitar first in my party and wanting to break the screen every time I had a wild encounter.
That's why battle scene setting exists ;) A repel would however been the better choice.
There was that double battle in that route that leads to Pastoria City that had a Gyradoes and a Kadabra. Since that place was almost raining combined with the fact that Diamond/Pearl had slower weather animations, it took a minute for one turn to pass during that battle. >_>

Given the nature of the series going forward, chances are that cross-gen evolutions aside from Eeveelutions will basically go the way of the dodo bird, and that really upsets me. These were such a novel thing, being able to discover new evolutions to older Pokemon that made them stronger overall.

Sadly, Let's Go just feels like a FRLG-styled remake with following Pokemon, rather than expanding the dex to include cross-gen like with HGSS or ORAS.

One thing about XY that mildly irritates me:

In Glittering Cave, you get to pick between the Jaw or Sail fossil. The other one is given to your rival.

Despite this, the fossil Pokémon you didn’t pick is never seen on your rival’s team.

Seems like a missed opportunity from Game Freak.
Even way back in Gen1, they were onto it enough to put the Omanyte/Kabuto you didn't pick in the zoo area of Fuchsia City. With all of the Gen1 pandering in XY it's surprising they didn't use the other Fossil at all in some capacity, when your rival provides such an outlet!

I'm not very fond of how Bank, despite being something you pay for specifically to use as storage; is very lacking in a good UI and has failed to make significant updates. I would list things I would like to see in it, but to yet another annoyance I must say that just about everything I want - at least on a basic level - is in the box system of SM/USUM. Being able to move boxes; a much more efficient search system; being able to view IVs and EVs etc. Bank feels very primitive and cumbersome in comparison.

One thing about XY that mildly irritates me:

In Glittering Cave, you get to pick between the Jaw or Sail fossil. The other one is given to your rival.

Despite this, the fossil Pokémon you didn’t pick is never seen on your rival’s team.

Seems like a missed opportunity from Game Freak.
Then again, Grant uses both Tyrunt and Amaura on his team, and Diantha has Tyrantrum and Aurorus on her team, so at least you'll see both of Kalos' fossil Pokemon in action even if you didn't restore the one you picked.

I'm more perturbed that you never face or see your rival's starter in its basic stage. The lack of facing the first stage of Shauna's starter bugs me a little too, but at least she'll trade you an offspring of her starter in the post-game so you can see it for yourself. It even has a perfect IV in a desired stat and good (albeit likely not ideal) nature and everything. No such thing with the rival.

Of course, both Chespin and especially Froakie have far more desirable HA's, so in-game trades for them isn't a huge loss, but still.

That Ferrothorn has a Hidden Ability and Ferroseed doesn't.

It's just very weird and makes breeding a pain.
Hidden abilities are a pain for breeding anyways if you have a male with the HA. Imagine hunting for hours for a HA pkmn and you get one and its male...

Hidden abilities are a pain for breeding anyways if you have a male with the HA. Imagine hunting for hours for a HA pkmn and you get one and its male...
"Starting in Black 2 and White 2, there is an 80% chance that the Ability slot of the female will be passed to the baby when bred with a male Pokémon from the same Egg Group. Starting in Generation VI, this chance is generically applied to any non-Ditto parent. " ~ Bulbapedia

Not exactly that much of a pain anymore.

"Starting in Black 2 and White 2, there is an 80% chance that the Ability slot of the female will be passed to the baby when bred with a male Pokémon from the same Egg Group. Starting in Generation VI, this chance is generically applied to any non-Ditto parent. " ~ Bulbapedia

Forgot it changed lol sry, I generally play the old games a lot more

I thought it was 60% for HA's? (thus 20% chance for each of the normal ability slots)

One thing that annoys me is that starting in Sinnoh, Gym leaders switch out their pokemon in battle. I forgot that earlier today and TRIED to spark a Gyarados in Crasher Wake's gym, but he switched to Quagsire and the attack was inneffective. (And yes, I'm a casual fan too.)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That Ferrothorn has a Hidden Ability and Ferroseed doesn't.

It's just very weird and makes breeding a pain.
I recall this guy in here a couple of years ago who'd bred a bunch of Ferroseed with good IVs, Egg Moves and Natures. Competitive-ready, so to speak. He sent them out on Wonder Trade as giveaway to anybody who would want a good Ferrothorn to use.

There was a catch, though: The Ferroseed were bred for Hidden Abilities. Which meant that they initially came with the competitively useful Iron Barbs, but upon evolution Ferrothorn would receive the useless ability Anticipation.

It's less of a trolly move now that Ability Capsules are a thing, but back then it was a beautifully evil thing to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)