(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

10 most used means they collect data what pokemon in VCG are used? means the data about usage of moves by them also should be there...
Indeedee male or female has 55 or 65 defense points with normal, psychic you need only a dark or bug, move to take it out? maybe thats the reason???

thats why ask You about amount of times Imprison was used in the game in comparance to all moves, then to all stats moves...
and how many % of all pokemon used it? thats a full statistic. Objective and truth too know more.

like how often people used Rillaboom more in the game in comparance to other starters?
This is the last ditch of effort I make because it really feels I'm talking to a wall.

This is Pikalytics, one of the best sites you can access for keeping track of Pokemon competitive data:
https://www.pikalytics.com/pokedex/ss
1600251982558.png
Rillaboom had ~30% usage, meaning that on average a team out of 3 would run one.
It would have Grassy Glide + Grassy Surge in basically 99% of the cases, with the other moves usually being 3 between Fake out, wood hammer, u-turn, high horsepower and knock off.
Item-wise, you'd almost always expect either a Choice Band or Assault Vest, with the occasional Miracle Seed.

Hence means that you *always* kept in mind the possibility to run into a Rillaboom with priority grass attack when team building, made sure that your team isn't swept by it alone, and whenever you saw one, you usually played around either Choice Band or Assault Vest sets until the item is revealed (for example, if they used Fake Out you'd automatically exclude it being Choice Banded).

While you cannot predict and imagine every single scenario, a solid 90% of the teams you face will have the same bunch of sets and the same bunch of pokemon, which you keep in mind when teambuilding to make sure you don't get swept by it.

You do not prepare for Weakness Policy Weavile with Dig, because it's SO bad with SO low usage, that you may run into one every 200 matches, and being swept once due to matchup over 200 matches is fine because it's statistically irrelevant.

Now, again, I know this is a waste of breath, and you won't understand a word of what I said, but that's how competitive Pokemon works. You consider the most 20-30 used pokemon and set, prepare so those can't sweep you, usually have a backup glue pokemon that is generic in your 6 to counter specific archetype (es, Gastrodon to shut down opposing rain teams, or Imprison Indeedee to shut down opposer Psychic spam, or Amoonguss to shut down opposer Trick Room, etc).

Or if you REALLY hate skill based gameplay, you just throw Ally Switch on every other pokemon and watch your opponent rage in despair.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
strong and weak.
Are you quoting that karen quote that doesn’t represent how team building works?
And if not then why change good and bad? In this context, they literally mean the same thing.
(credits to drpumpkinz)
If you go to the comments section of the 2014 VGC World Championship Finals (the one where Sejun Park rocked the scene with a Pachirisu) you will find a particular quote spammed incessantly:

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with their favorites."

This upsets me on a few levels.

Firstly, Park didn't choose Pachirisu because it was his favorite. I mean, it probably became his favorite after the fact, but Park chose Pachirisu because its unique traits were the best fit for the team he already had. These commenters might as well be spouting off about skilled Roys. Not only is it derogatory towards competitive Pokemon as a whole, but it undermines what makes Park's choice of Pachirisu so incredible. There's a pretty stark difference between thinking outside the box and finding the right tool for the job in an unexpected place, and using something because "lol its muh favret".

Secondly, Karen is a bit of a hypocrite. Three out of her five Pokemon (Umbreon, Gengar, and Houndoom) range from decent to amazing in GSC OU, and Vileplume is pretty okay in GSC UU. For someone who preaches the importance of ignoring strength and using your favorites, a lot of her favorites just so happen to be pretty damn strong. How convenient.

Thirdly, what the fuck do you mean "that is only the selfish perception of people"? You mean to tell me that it's all in my head that Kyogre's rain-boosted Water Spouts are stronger than a dinky Water Pulse from a Feebas? That it's not true to say that DVs and IVs make some Pokemon objectively stronger than their brethren? Bitch, you ever heard of math? Probably not, because Pokemon exists in a goddamn shonen world were the only things that matter in life are believing in yourself and your friends and the heart of the cards and other such bullshit. Who has time for basic schooling when there is glory to be won? Certainly not the entire fucking population of every region of every game.

This concludes my ranting.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm new here
Welcome! Not sure if this is the best thread to introduce yourself in, but glad to see a new face nonetheless! :bloblul: Follow the rules, respect others, and most of all enjoy yourself and remember the MST3K mantra if you're feeling things are getting heated up!

Speaking of which, Matleo, I've mostly been skimming this conversation (that looks to have gone off the rails) but from what I've been reading I don't think you exactly know what you're even saying at this point. MST3K mantra, calm down. There are battles worth fighting, there are battles worth giving up on. This is one to give up on. If you want to continue this discussion it would be better to take this to the Discord Server instead of filling pages of pages on a forum thread.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well since it's the only thing we're talking about...

how often did trainers win with pokemon "outside the box" thinking?
I'm sure all the time, just not usually on the competitive stage with an extra thousands of eyes watching. And that makes sense, offstage those who competitively compete are probably thinking of new strategies all the time and test them out either through the in-game link battles (Battle Spot/Battle Stadium) and/or on Showdown. Any "out of the box" thinking likely gets fully tested out way before someone brings it into competitive. Now the thing is, a lot of times, these new strategies are usually with Pokemon you'd expect to see. Pachirisu was a rarity, and was only was possible as Se Jun Park saw that small niche/work around/loophole that Pachirisu managed to fit in perfectly. It's not proof of Karen's "no such thing as good/bad Pokemon" speech but rather proof that a niche moveset on the right Pokemon can disrupt tried and true strategies. Because think about Pachirisu's role: it wasn't a powerhouse sweeping the opponent, it was providing diversion in a Double Battle.

Also Smogon is always doing "Analysis/Suspect Tests", just look at the Twitter feed.

we are lacking a anti-U-turn strategy still, how to make U-turn not escape...
Do we need anti-U-turn strategy? Is that a scourge sweeping across the metagame? If it is well I'm sure there is anti-U-turn strategy being made at this moment. If you want GF to make a move that's anti-U-turn, the issue with that is you're asking for them to make a counter-tactic for a counter-tactic, a counter-counter-tactic. While providing a handy way to switch out from the normal way of switching, another purpose of it is to let a Pokemon switch out of trapping moves like Mean Look. At most, the only thing GF might do is maybe lower them to 40 Power but have them do double damage if the opponent used a trapping move, but once again that's only if the metagame shows it's becoming an issue. Honestly I think Stealth Rock is more of a scourge yet GF has yet to consider them an issue. I completely forgot about the Heavy-Duty Boots.:facepalm:

Last edited:
Splash should get a status boosting effect in rain and generaly if it moves should cause oponnent to miss the user of this move.
Splash has absolutely nothing to due with water. It's Japanese name is actually "Hop", which is why many non-fish learn it like Hoppip, Wynaut, and Cosmog. The localization team renamed in Splash in English probably because, in Gen 1, Magikarp was the only Pokemon that could learn it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Splash has absolutely nothing to due with water. It's Japanese name is actually "Hop", which is why many non-fish learn it like Hoppip, Wynaut, and Cosmog. The localization team renamed in Splash in English probably because, in Gen 1, Magikarp was the only Pokemon that could learn it.
Splash can be left alone, it's supposed to be a joke move. If anything I'd give it a worst effect: If there's an entry hazard on the user's side of the field the Splash user activates it again on itself.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Pikachu315111 U-Turn (and pivoting moves in general) are definitely very strong this gen (and conceptually, at least imo, were always pretty broken). They’re by far the safest move to click in the base majority of situations, as it will always net you some degree of momentum. Boots have removed 1 of 2 widespread counters to pivoting (hazards), leaving only Rocky Helmet, which only punishes some of the pivoting moves.

It’s main use is definitely not escaping trapping- the ability to, given you threaten out the opposing mon, deal chip damage and ensure you switch after the counter comes in- means that these moves net and insane amount of momentum. Oh, and Teleport? That move just always resets momentum in your favor. The pivoting moves are insane in a boots metagame.

Not much of an annoyance for me, but Nob Ogasawara (the localizer for the first 3 Gens and DP, though he didn't name very many Pokémon to my knowledge) has expressed his frustration with his higher ups using an individual Pokémon species (Magikarp, the only learner of the move in Gen 1) as the basis for the translation of the move Splash. He was rightfully aware of the possibility of the series being a success and the need to plan ahead by avoiding overly specific translations like this.

He also warned about the name Mr. Mime. What if they introduced genders?

I don't understand how they renamed some old generation moves in XY but Splash was left as it was.
I thought the only renames were things like High Jump Kick to make use of the new character limit and Feint Attack to reduce confusion. Nothing like new names

Not counting some of the erreneous spanish translations like Slam being translated into what's basically "Door Slam"

They added water effects to the animation in later generations (despite giving it to more pokemon that arent fish) and the name is also used for "splashing" in japan.
I feel like the only real alternative is "flop", because hop doesn't give quite the same connotation, but then that runs into the issue for the pokemon who do literally hop.

I don't understand how they renamed some old generation moves in XY but Splash was left as it was.
Most of the renames were fixing spacing issues (SOLARBEAM -> Solar Beam) except for like...what...Feint Attack? Which is still mostly the same, they just finally fixed the name. Faint Attack -> Feint Attack is all of one letter and mostly sounds the same, no real confusion here.

I don't think any move got a full on-change like would be required for Splash.

Well, I do find funny that to this day you can have both male and female Mr.Mime and Mr.Rime.
I guess differently from humans, pokemon don't care of they're called :blobshrug:
Though Mr. Mime is not a good name and Mime Jr. is a travesty, I will defend Mr. Rime, mostly because it's funny, a nice coincidence that the line's Galarian typing adds Ice, and probably a better bit of wordplay than its Japanese name (Mr. Mime = Barrierd; Mr. Rime = Barrikoori/"Barricold")

I'm also just a sucker for uncommon words and Pokémon has introduced me to a few. I knew rime before, but a lot of kids might not.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
even joke moves should do something... like taking of guard a oponent...Splash could boost a other moves, if you hop it could boost Bounce next turn with 1,5 power actually taking Magikarps limited movepool... wouldn't be that bad actually. Rock climb and all kind of jumping moves would then have a new found Splash combo...
But Splash does so something: it makes you want to have a better move on your Pokemon. Actually I always thought it would be funny if they made Splash into a move you can user in the overworld and there are just environmental objects here and there which if you use Splash on them you'll uncover a small secret location.

Not sure why hopping around pointlessly would increase the Power of "jumping" moves. Also don't think that would make Bounce any better, and Rock Climb isn't a jumping move.

Also, keep this in mind: not all moves are meant to be good. Many moves are made for RPG reasons: they're starting moves. At least when playing the main game, a low Level Pokemon isn't going to have powerful moves. Nah, they're just going to have the very basic skills any life form can do. They're not meant to be powerful or useful, their meant to show off what the Pokemon can do or add "flavor". And that's alright, because they're meant to encourage you to keep keep leveling up, keep looking forward to that next move that'll bring out the potential in your Pokemon. Or in Magikarp's case, make you really want to evolve it.

Also, sometimes a move that has little purpose while battling may be given a useful effect elsewhere. Splash had some pretty nice effects for Pokemon Contests and who can forget when powered by the Normal Z-Crystal that it gave a +3 Attack boost, lol.

Of course there are exceptions to this. Like, instead of focusing on Splash which is pretty much serving its intended, how about we talk about Kinesis. THAT'S a move which needs support behind it. It's the signature move of Kadabra & Alakazam, powerful and popular Pokemon, has to do with psychic powers so sounds like it would have a pretty nifty effect... it only lowers the target's Accuracy by 1 stage. It's no better than Flash & Sand Attack! Infact, it was originally removed from Sword & Shield, but then later added back in with no changes done to it! Come on GF, I would think Kadabra and Alakazam showing off their psychic might to bend a spoon would be doing a little more than just making the opponent miss it.

what do you think about Life Dew should it work in rain like Synthesis in sun or react to other water moves used that turn or to whirlpool or aqua ring?
It anoys me that they introduce a move , create a cool dex entry but the moves dont relate with weather and other moves then when they actually should...
Yeah, I could see that, Rain increasing the healing property of Life Dew & Aqua Ring and the damage per turn of Whirlpool. That has context support.

... Huh, his post was deleted.
In that case I'll end off with saying this about potential other things GF can do: Sure they can. Infact, EVERY generation they do! Every generation brings in new Move/Ability/Item concepts, new Moves & Abilities that are copies of other but given different Type/context so other Pokemon can use it, and overall are finding ways to add new dynamics, depth, & dimension to the metagame. But at the same time there's also only so much they can do both mechanically as well as not overburdening both the system and the player (especially young players which is their demographic). And no matter how much we complain, the thing is GF really isn't listening to us. They have their own data and test studies done, and usually looking at different aspects of things. That doesn't mean we shouldn't complain of course, enough voices may bring something to GF's attention which they may agree "yeah, that should be done", but GF is an odd cookie (for better and for worse) so don't rely too much on that. You can point out problems you have with Pokemon/Moves/Abilities/Items/etc. and heck, even suggest things GF could have done... but remember that's really all you can do. It's nothing to get into an argument with someone else about. You made your point made, some people may have agreed, some disagree, but being I doubt anyone on GF even visit Smogon's forums it's just to move on. You said what you wanted to said, got it off your chest... AND if in the future GF does do an idea you suggested you can then brag about "calling it" (though perfectly know you just managed to guess what GF did, don't say GF copied what you because, HA, no).

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
i don't like cyrus's team in dpp. don't get me wrong, it does a good job at being a legitimate challenge (at least cyrus 3 in platinum) but the pokemon themselves just don't seem to fit thematically. the zubat line and especially weavile/honchkrow feel like more generic "mob boss" or "criminal" type mons, which cyrus doesn't really fit (gyara and houndoom are a bit better though). compare this to villains like lusamine or lysandre, who have teams that really fit their personalities a lot better.

i don't like cyrus's team in dpp. don't get me wrong, it does a good job at being a legitimate challenge (at least cyrus 3 in platinum) but the pokemon themselves just don't seem to fit thematically. the zubat line and especially weavile/honchkrow feel like more generic "mob boss" or "criminal" type mons, which cyrus doesn't really fit (gyara and houndoom are a bit better though). compare this to villains like lusamine or lysandre, who have teams that really fit their personalities a lot better.
But his the team is the same in Platinum, with the addition of Houndoom.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well I think the problem with this is, what is Cyrus's theme? If anything I'd say the Honchkrow does fit him because he's a leader of a villain team. Looking through DP's Regional Dex other suggestions I can only think are:

Vespiquen (once again going with the theme of him being the leader with an army of drones at his beck and call)
Bronzor (kind of alien-like)

And seeing what Platinum's expansion may offer:

Probopass (another alien-like, especially since Japan loves to portray the Easter Island's Moai as some kind of alien object)
Magnezone (it's literally designed after a UFO)
Porygon-Z (slightly alien, though is very robotic and Cyrus prefers machines to people)

The fact that you battle Cyrus at all doesn’t really fit with his character. He says he doesn’t use Pokémon as tools like his grunts, but instead makes the power of Pokémon his own. Then he battles you... using Pokémon as his tools...

However, given that you kinda have to battle him (it’s a Pokémon game after all) I think it’s best that his theme is ‘strong’ rather than anything too character-specific. Giving him a theme would imply that he has some kind of sentimental thought process when it comes to choosing his party members beyond ‘which Pokémon will help me win?’ which would go against his desire to rid the world of spirit. After all, some Pokémon may be more machine-like than others, but they all have a personality. There isn’t really a choice that fits with what he says he wants to achieve.

Of course, that could have made for an interesting conflict between his stated ideals and his human emotions (like when he gets super angry in the distortion world), but given how he’s portrayed I’m happy with his team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)